IVF/ICSI Support Group

Hi all

I just got a BFN for my first IVF cycle today. My menses should come soon. The strange thing is I've been feeling sick in the stomach since 5am. I threw up every single thing that went into my tummy including water and I'm also having diarrhea. I've lost count how many times I did both. Does anyone experience this? I wonder if I am down with gastric flu or is this my body's way of purging the progynova and crinone I've been stuffing into myself. My hcg level was less than 2 which means the 11-cell embryo didn't grow inside me but I continued to stuff myself with the med/gel for 2 weeks since there is no way of knowing before the 2ww is over. My body is normally ultra sensitive to all kinds of med. For example I had to stop the Chinese med from my physician because it got me so energised I couldn't sleep after taking it. I'm just wondering if what I'm going through now is normal....
I dont have such symptoms with bfn. My af came before i took BT. AF already cleared for 1 day then last night suddenly abdominal cramp after dinner and today i saw slight bleeding. No cold and cooling food has been taken. I also dunno what is happening as previous cycles didnt exprience the same. And i also have been feeling v v down. :(

Hi all

I just got a BFN for my first IVF cycle today. My menses should come soon. The strange thing is I've been feeling sick in the stomach since 5am. I threw up every single thing that went into my tummy including water and I'm also having diarrhea. I've lost count how many times I did both. Does anyone experience this? I wonder if I am down with gastric flu or is this my body's way of purging the progynova and crinone I've been stuffing into myself. My hcg level was less than 2 which means the 11-cell embryo didn't grow inside me but I continued to stuff myself with the med/gel for 2 weeks since there is no way of knowing before the 2ww is over. My body is normally ultra sensitive to all kinds of med. For example I had to stop the Chinese med from my physician because it got me so energised I couldn't sleep after taking it. I'm just wondering if what I'm going through now is normal....
Having high fever 38.8 and temp keeps going up. Wondering if I need to go to the hospital.

I dont have such symptoms with bfn. My af came before i took BT. AF already cleared for 1 day then last night suddenly abdominal cramp after dinner and today i saw slight bleeding. No cold and cooling food has been taken. I also dunno what is happening as previous cycles didnt exprience the same. And i also have been feeling v v down. :(

Cheer up! Do some activities that you like, eg sing ktv, watching a good movie etc?

Dearie, try to stay calm. I had similar before. Since that time AF only 1 day, likely lining not entirely cleared. As the progesterone & estrogen level decline after stopping meds, you may experience breakthrough bleeding. When I had this for first time after 2nd cycle, i went to consult doc after spotting/ bleeding about 3 days which doesn't seem normal. Doc did scan to check that bleeding not caused by any abnormal growth or cyst. Then he prescribed Noristherone meds for 2 weeks then stop, thereafter menses should start. He said this can help 'reset' my menstrual cycle. I didn't take as didn't want more hormone meds so just let my body recover more naturally with TCM acupuncture & TCM meds.

If worried, best to consult doc for advice. If no issue such as cyst or abnormal growth or internal bleeding, your body should recover eventually. Continue to eat healthy, have good rest & drink more water.

Been having stomachache and cramping after the antibiotics which are to be taken prior to ER. Likely due to antibiotics? Some sisters seem to report diarrhea
Hi sister, hope you feeling better le.
Have an early night today and sleep well.
Wish you all the best and a smooth sailing ER tmr! Jia you!

Dearie, try to stay calm. I had similar before. Since that time AF only 1 day, likely lining not entirely cleared. As the progesterone & estrogen level decline after stopping meds, you may experience breakthrough bleeding. When I had this for first time after 2nd cycle, i went to consult doc after spotting/ bleeding about 3 days which doesn't seem normal. Doc did scan to check that bleeding not caused by any abnormal growth or cyst. Then he prescribed Noristherone meds for 2 weeks then stop, thereafter menses should start. He said this can help 'reset' my menstrual cycle. I didn't take as didn't want more hormone meds so just let my body recover more naturally with TCM acupuncture & TCM meds.

If worried, best to consult doc for advice. If no issue such as cyst or abnormal growth or internal bleeding, your body should recover eventually. Continue to eat healthy, have good rest & drink more water.
May i know which doc u went to? Normal gp or ur ivf doc?

Hi sister, hope you feeling better le.
Have an early night today and sleep well.
Wish you all the best and a smooth sailing ER tmr! Jia you!
Thanks sis. Er on sat. Gona take queen of jab in half hour time .. getting jitters now. Spoke to the nurse this afternoon when I took bt for progesterone level. She said queen of jab is dat painful b cos we r jabbing into muscles not fats .. hence can only be administered by nurses and not self

Thanks sis. Er on sat. Gona take queen of jab in half hour time .. getting jitters now. Spoke to the nurse this afternoon when I took bt for progesterone level. She said queen of jab is dat painful b cos we r jabbing into muscles not fats .. hence can only be administered by nurses and not self
I had mine on my side of the thigh.. it is less painful compared to the butt.

During our tww, can we have chicken essence? What food is best at this time during the tww? Going for my ER on Monday, any sister going ER too on monday too?

Hey sis, you can request to jab on your buttock. The jab is not as bad as u think.

During our tww, can we have chicken essence? What food is best at this time during the tww? Going for my ER on Monday, any sister going ER too on monday too?
i took chicken essence on 2nd day post transfer. and my mom screamed. haahah well cant consume it till next week. so one month twice is good enuff. because its heaty.

Kudos to all brave woman out there. I was also comtemplating on quitting. But after speaking to my boss,he suggested unpaid leave instead. So maybi try talking to boss abt unpaid leave option.

I think we are reali brave to brave through injections, this ttc journey n also to e extent to give up our job or income.

Lets jiayou n dun let negetivity get down us. Let positivity shower us till we fight till e end.

Maybe can take MCs? Leaves? HL? I tried to estimate n plan ahead , pre alert ur backup colleague and boss...reasons given are all kinds of illnesses...haha. Ever since embark on Ivf, I feel like a mediacorp actress, act here n there...
If no choice then work from home....hope can put off some stress here...Jiayou

Hi sis, could your share... after your AF came, were you able to predict your ovulation?
Because my ovulation still not here thou it shd have come btw D14 and D17. Its D22 today. Is it normal our ovulation goes haywire after ivf? TIA!

Any cycle buddies in Jan. I have been away for sometime. Needed the break after failed natural fet. Disappointed plus suffering with af which was present for good 12 days. Am not sure if this month ovulation will happen as cycle was too long. Have to tiao body as became extremely weak after 12 days af. Think Jan shud be a good comeback.

Have not catch up on the threads. Sisters who bfp big congrats and have a safe smooth pregnancy. Sisters in tww jia you. Sisters planning to start cycling soon...tiao body well and take it easy tho its never easy :).

@Eggscatcher am also am actress since started this program in 2012. None knows except hubby in personal live. So have to say pain infection endo hospitalization. Never mention fertility. Stress bt no choice ar.

@patn I also had difficulty ovulating after ivf. Don't knw why le. Could it be coz too many eggs picked up thus abit slow and some months don't ovulate.

Hi sis, could your share... after your AF came, were you able to predict your ovulation?
Because my ovulation still not here thou it shd have come btw D14 and D17. Its D22 today. Is it normal our ovulation goes haywire after ivf? TIA!
The months immediately after AF came after last 2 failed fresh cycles no ovulation.
In both cycles, I didn't even get to start OPK testing as I started mid-cycle spotting, thats why I would see Dr Loh.
He would do V-scan to check any cyst etc and at the same time, we found that no dominant follicle growing so confirmed no ovulation for these cycles. For both cycles where no ovulation, they were shorter cycles and my next AF came after CD27 and CD24 (usual cycle CD32 or 33).

If full AF doesn't come for prolonged periods, even just spotting, when no ovulation, may need to take progesterone pills, e.g. Nor-E to induce menses. If you are tracking BBT, a shift in BBT can indicate ovulation has occur and you may have missed your LH surge (doc said it is possible to miss LH surge if you have short or low LH surge). If you are not tracking BBT, you can wait till a few days after your usual cycle days for AF.
Don't worry too much as every time doc assure me it is indeed normal for the current cycle after a fresh cycle to be haywire. If there is abnormal bleeding or pain, consult doc to check it out. Otherwise, wait for AF while continue healthy diet etc.

Any cycle buddies in Jan. I have been away for sometime. Needed the break after failed natural fet. Disappointed plus suffering with af which was present for good 12 days. Am not sure if this month ovulation will happen as cycle was too long. Have to tiao body as became extremely weak after 12 days af. Think Jan shud be a good comeback.

Have not catch up on the threads. Sisters who bfp big congrats and have a safe smooth pregnancy. Sisters in tww jia you. Sisters planning to start cycling soon...tiao body well and take it easy tho its never easy :).

@Eggscatcher am also am actress since started this program in 2012. None knows except hubby in personal live. So have to say pain infection endo hospitalization. Never mention fertility. Stress bt no choice ar.

@patn I also had difficulty ovulating after ivf. Don't knw why le. Could it be coz too many eggs picked up thus abit slow and some months don't ovulate.
@mesara, you have come so far and been through a lot. Hope you will recover well soon.
The cycles after the IVF cycle usually can be haywire as the body needs time to adjust while the body gets rid of the hormone support meds. Most important is for AF cycle to resume to normal as before after sometime (flow, cycle days) and eventually ovulation should also resume back to normal. Otherwise, it may signal hormone imbalance and may need to take medication to help resume to normal.
Continue to stay strong and be positive! +++jia you!

Ladies as I just failed my cycle. And I am with SGH professor Yu. I'm wondering if I should change clinics to DR Loh ? Has everyone has the experience of changing docs what the pros and cons? Also I have FET which SGH says they can do transfer. Will there be risks?

Needed your opinions

Ladies as I just failed my cycle. And I am with SGH professor Yu. I'm wondering if I should change clinics to DR Loh ? Has everyone has the experience of changing docs what the pros and cons? Also I have FET which SGH says they can do transfer. Will there be risks?

Needed your opinions
Transfer shld be ok.... I transferred my embbies from KKH to TFC

Sisters, does anyone you experience lesser AF and lesser days than before ivf? :(
~I agree...well, those hormone jabs and inserts whacked our natural system, and well, by going for the egg retrieval, means we are going for "early menopause". Via natural system, menses only occur when 1 egg is dropped, but for IVF, the doc extracted over 10, some even 20 eggs, so well, you do the maths.

What kind of documents and costs to expect from the transfer? From your experience, what is the difference in terms of service, treatments in the 2 hospitals, would appreciate it if you could share with me?

~I agree...well, those hormone jabs and inserts whacked our natural system, and well, by going for the egg retrieval, means we are going for "early menopause". Via natural system, menses only occur when 1 egg is dropped, but for IVF, the doc extracted over 10, some even 20 eggs, so well, you do the maths.
:( i didnt know the damage is so bad.. i did suspect myself of early menopause as AF is getting lesser and i think i see 老人班 on my hand. I am only late 30s now.. is it possible for early menopause?

:( i didnt know the damage is so bad.. i did suspect myself of early menopause as AF is getting lesser and i think i see 老人班 on my hand. I am only late 30s now.. is it possible for early menopause?
IVF does not cause early menopause. Phew! Anyway pray for the best, hope we succeed soon as the meds increase risk of hormone affected cancers in future.

There are some articles which explain why ivf does NOT cause early menopause. HTH :)

https://www.fertilityauthority.com/...producing-fertility-drugs-can-cause-premature

http://blog.drmalpani.com/2013/01/does-ivf-cause-premature-menopause.html?m=1

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/498827/Early-menopause-link-to-IVF

The months immediately after AF came after last 2 failed fresh cycles no ovulation.
In both cycles, I didn't even get to start OPK testing as I started mid-cycle spotting, thats why I would see Dr Loh.
He would do V-scan to check any cyst etc and at the same time, we found that no dominant follicle growing so confirmed no ovulation for these cycles. For both cycles where no ovulation, they were shorter cycles and my next AF came after CD27 and CD24 (usual cycle CD32 or 33).

If full AF doesn't come for prolonged periods, even just spotting, when no ovulation, may need to take progesterone pills, e.g. Nor-E to induce menses. If you are tracking BBT, a shift in BBT can indicate ovulation has occur and you may have missed your LH surge (doc said it is possible to miss LH surge if you have short or low LH surge). If you are not tracking BBT, you can wait till a few days after your usual cycle days for AF.
Don't worry too much as every time doc assure me it is indeed normal for the current cycle after a fresh cycle to be haywire. If there is abnormal bleeding or pain, consult doc to check it out. Otherwise, wait for AF while continue healthy diet etc.

Because my tcm doc asked me to track my ovulation so i thought there should be no issue from those hormone jabs since its 1month already they shd have all flushed out.
Yes i did also tracked BBT and a dip in the temperature that day was way before ovulation would come (D9) but i forgotten to reconfirm with OPK that day. But as you had explained i might have missed it if ovulation really came earlier on D9.
So far i do not see mid cycle spotting and i guess I'll just wait for AF and asked my TCM doc since seeing her next Monday.
Thanks again sister!

@mesara How are you feeling now? I was also thinking many eggs were being retrieved last month... which could be was having menopause faster.. aiyo the thought scared me! I am praying to restore age related issue since our age is main factor of egg quality! Haha... yes I'm that radical since i doing all my best already and the rest is for God to handle. I cant think what else i could do anymore.
Btw i am also cycling in Jan. But if my AF is as per normal between D28 and D31 then my next cycle may kena CNY which i am afraid Dr Loh will be away. So am contemplating to do in Dec or Feb... :(

@patn, yah can ask TCM doc to check any changes in pulse. My TCM doc always very accurate, whenever she detect change to 滑脉 (slippery), it's near ovulation or menses due. Initially i even said "sure or not", then a few days later either OPK+ or AF start. I find it very amazing.

@patn, yah can ask TCM doc to check any changes in pulse. My TCM doc always very accurate, whenever she detect change to 滑脉 (slippery), it's near ovulation or menses due. Initially i even said "sure or not", then a few days later either OPK+ or AF start. I find it very amazing.
Hi Dawn, may I know what is the meaning of 滑脉 or what causes it? I am with Dr Zou but she never say anything after pulse reading and I don't dare to ask coz she is always busy :)

Last edited:

Needed your opinions

Hi GraceBB, I am also from SGH..... HiHi. Me also failed my Oct fresh cycle ( sob sob) but luckily still have frozen left, just came back from SGH for a follow up apt with Dr Yu, waited 1 month plus then can see Dr Yu. She proposed natural FET for me and said the rate of success is higher than medicated FET, keeping fingers crossed as i know if my follicles does not grow to a suitable size, the whole cycle will be abandoned. Since she is the prof in this line, i just listen to her. Will start my cycle in Jan, but hope that my menses will come in early Jan , if not, will have to drop it cos of their cut off. Ladies, is it true that natural yield a higher success than medicated FET??? Think now got to go Dr Zou there and start to acupuncture liao..

GraceBB, when u going to do FET? Will you be doing in SGH or thinking of other place??

What do we need to ask after reading our pulse?

@Sparkling_ee my tcm doc also nvr say anything after pulse reading... except "ok lets proceed to acupuncture" hahaha

I consulted a tcm today. Just realise multiple ivf will reduce our egg quantity. Because each time take out a lot from e reserves. She says.

Is that so ?

Last edited:
IVF does not cause early menopause. Phew! Anyway pray for the best, hope we succeed soon as the meds increase risk of hormone affected cancers in future.
Woo, thanks for the articles. Luckily it doesn't cause early menopause. In that case, how come AF flow seems to be lesser, any idea..?

Hi GraceBB, I am also from SGH..... HiHi. Me also failed my Oct fresh cycle ( sob sob) but luckily still have frozen left, just came back from SGH for a follow up apt with Dr Yu, waited 1 month plus then can see Dr Yu. She proposed natural FET for me and said the rate of success is higher than medicated FET, keeping fingers crossed as i know if my follicles does not grow to a suitable size, the whole cycle will be abandoned. Since she is the prof in this line, i just listen to her. Will start my cycle in Jan, but hope that my menses will come in early Jan , if not, will have to drop it cos of their cut off. Ladies, is it true that natural yield a higher success than medicated FET??? Think now got to go Dr Zou there and start to acupuncture liao..

GraceBB, when u going to do FET? Will you be doing in SGH or thinking of other place??

For my 2 FETs (one failed, one ongoing), Dr recommended natural as the body will be most conducive for implantation and growth and I have regular cycles.

However, it can be quite stressful as compared to medicated, just to share my experience-

-if ovulation does not take place, have to cancel the cycle.

-must track ovulation closely. I went for 1st scan on day 10 post AF, total done 3. All need to wait for Dr's review (I'm with KKH).

- Will also need to use opk to track LH surge, my struggle is that sometimes the readings do not look affirmative, and some reviewing doctors also do not look very confident when they read the opk.

- cycle may also be cancelled if lining is not thick enough or leading follicle is too small. Since there is no med support, will have to rely on our dear body to perform well. Drowning myself with red bean soup seems to help thus far.

- ovulation day determines ET day. If ET falls under long weekends/PH, may have to call off.

I opted for natural as i want to give our embies the best chance.

Discuss with your Dr whether he/she recommends natural or medical for you.

HTH :)

Hi Dawn, may I know what is the meaning of 滑脉 or what causes it? I am with Dr Zou but she never say anything after pulse reading and I don't dare to ask coz she is always busy :)
What do we need to ask after reading our pulse?
@Sparkling_ee my tcm doc also nvr say anything after pulse reading... except "ok lets proceed to acupuncture" hahaha

Actually my TCM doc also usually don't initiate to explain much.
I just thick-skin and ask my doc how is it everytime after she read my pulse and tongue.
So the few times she would tell got change and obviously different from previous visit. I probed further then once she explained to me can feel 滑脉 and indicates changes in body which usually mean ovulation or menses due soon since I have not at that time of consultation.

Hi sis who sees Dr Zou at amk, can share with me how much is the consultation and meds cost? I was with EYS n think too exp to see long term to tiao my health back/ try natural.

Back