IVF/ICSI Support Group

Hi everyone, Im new to this thread. Basically I have been TTC for about close to 2 years and had 2 failed IUI attempts. Feeling kind of lost now and had decided to go for IVF. But have no clue on how to proceed from here. Some told me to get referral letters from polyclinic before I proceed to KKH. Some mentioned that the Q at KKH is relatively long. Is there any difference between going to a private dr to do IVF vs one done at KKH? Really need advice on this.

Hi hopeful13, im fine thanks. Im gg to see dr tan on 22 apr...looking into to do FET in may or june...ok...i wl ask him abt the endo scratching...thanks!!!

Hv u done the endo scratching? How is the procedure?
No I hv not done the procedure yet.. There is this new nurse with Dr Tan who gave conflicting info vs kkivf nurse. Haii

Hi everyone, Im new to this thread. Basically I have been TTC for about close to 2 years and had 2 failed IUI attempts. Feeling kind of lost now and had decided to go for IVF. But have no clue on how to proceed from here. Some told me to get referral letters from polyclinic before I proceed to KKH. Some mentioned that the Q at KKH is relatively long. Is there any difference between going to a private dr to do IVF vs one done at KKH? Really need advice on this.
You sound like me, 2 failed iui. Just give Kkh a call & you'll be advised first consultation. If u have a DR in mind may take longer, else they will assign. The key reason to go KKH would be the govt subsidies available & hassle free in terms of payment (medisave for balance). Skills n experience of doctors n nurses in Kkh are quite good too.

Hi, I did endo scratch for my current cycle. The scratch is to b done the cycle before ur ivf/ FET cycle, approximately 1 week before CD1 of ur ivf/ FET cycle.

It is to b done in clinic D, takes a couple of mins & feels like a Pap smear. I managed to go back to work thereafter as was feeling ok & wanted to save some leaves for actual ivf..

Hope this helps.
Queenie, did u call clinic D directly when your menses come for the endo scratching? The nurse at first tell me to call kkivf on the first day of my next menses and they will arrange everything. I ask her more qns she like went blur and keep ask me to just call kkivf. Then kkivf nurse call me say I need to call clinic D as clinic D is the one arranging!

Sorry!!! Do u mind sharing y ur natural FET was aborted? I shld b doing my FET in may or june so thinking to explore more...thanks!!!
No problem. My natural FET cycle didn't complete so I update u to where it's end k.

Call on first day of AF, was asked to go on 10th day but during the scan they discovered there was this 40mm thingy on my right side (it was not there in my fresh cycle then). Lining was 5. Immediately they ask me to abort cycle as that could be a cyst or leftover follicle. If cyst is fine, if leftover follicle it need to be cancelled but they not sure what it was. Anyway we insisted and they did a blood test, test result out they say can proceed. Went back scan on 12th day, the right side thingy grew to 60mm, they consulted my doc and he say no harm to proceed first, lining was abt 4.9. Went back on 14th day lining still 4.9 and the 60mm still there. They give me a choice to abort or proceed for last scan as lining is not good and folicle not the right size. I went back for last scan on 17th day, Lining 5.3. Happened my doc was there and he spoke to me directly (instead of seeing the doctor on duty). He thinks chances very slim as the lining is not ideal and don't have right size follicles, he suggested to abort and do medicated next month instead. He explained to me for natural FET, u need to have right size follicles, good lining and wait for ovulation (3 things hand by hand) before ET can happens. I never reach the stage of testing ovulation (which I read some ladies are frustrated with that as well and some month you just won't ovulate).

If given a choice and I know about all these beforehand, I would have went straight for medicated FET in the first place. (I think they usually play safe ask u got natural FET first before trying medicated FET) Doc told me that medicated just requires ideal lining, rest can ignore. So now I am doing medicated FET but I only reach the stage on oral medication and one scan on 3rd day of AF. Can't update u more yet what goes from here. My next scan is on the 11th day.

Thanks for sharing. i'm referring to sonohysterography which is ultrasound for the uterus , not HSG. I've done HSG prior to ivf.
I went to check my file haha I did this scan before my ivf. I believe mine was ordered because I have history of endometriosis/ cyst (sorry I forgot the term for it). I even need to do a mockup ET a month before the actual.

No problem. My natural FET cycle didn't complete so I update u to where it's end k.

Call on first day of AF, was asked to go on 10th day but during the scan they discovered there was this 40mm thingy on my right side (it was not there in my fresh cycle then). Lining was 5. Immediately they ask me to abort cycle as that could be a cyst or leftover follicle. If cyst is fine, if leftover follicle it need to be cancelled but they not sure what it was. Anyway we insisted and they did a blood test, test result out they say can proceed. Went back scan on 12th day, the right side thingy grew to 60mm, they consulted my doc and he say no harm to proceed first, lining was abt 4.9. Went back on 14th day lining still 4.9 and the 60mm still there. They give me a choice to abort or proceed for last scan as lining is not good and folicle not the right size. I went back for last scan on 17th day, Lining 5.3. Happened my doc was there and he spoke to me directly (instead of seeing the doctor on duty). He thinks chances very slim as the lining is not ideal and don't have right size follicles, he suggested to abort and do medicated next month instead. He explained to me for natural FET, u need to have right size follicles, good lining and wait for ovulation (3 things hand by hand) before ET can happens. I never reach the stage of testing ovulation (which I read some ladies are frustrated with that as well and some month you just won't ovulate).

If given a choice and I know about all these beforehand, I would have went straight for medicated FET in the first place. (I think they usually play safe ask u got natural FET first before trying medicated FET) Doc told me that medicated just requires ideal lining, rest can ignore. So now I am doing medicated FET but I only reach the stage on oral medication and one scan on 3rd day of AF. Can't update u more yet what goes from here. My next scan is on the 11th day.
Good luck on your coming medicated FET. :)

It depends whether are you below 40. If yes, doing Ivf at kk you are entitled to subsidise. If you are above 40, then no grant anyway. But just note that private hospital may be a few k more compared to kk hosp.

Queenie, did u call clinic D directly when your menses come for the endo scratching? The nurse at first tell me to call kkivf on the first day of my next menses and they will arrange everything. I ask her more qns she like went blur and keep ask me to just call kkivf. Then kkivf nurse call me say I need to call clinic D as clinic D is the one arranging!

Hi, hopeful13,
Hahahh.. The system is v cock up one for the endo scratch one.. The nurse with Dr Tan told me to call clinic D on day 1 of my menses (cycle before the actual fresh / FET ivf cycle), which I did.

Then clinic D said, ohhh, u ivf-er arh, u should call kkivf ctr, which I did again. Then kkivf centre took down my details & said someone from clinic D ll call me back.. I was like "wat? Didn't I get off the line with clinic D?"
Kkivf centre explained to me tt kkivf centre ll put up the request to clinic D & clinic D ll arrange the date of the endo scratch based on the availability of Dr Tan's schedule (some days he has clinic @ TPS) within ur window period..

Hope this helps..

remember rainbow, may i know how fast did you get to do ivf after the failed iui in NUH? Can i do ivf the immediate month of an unsucessful iui? The nurse told me there must be a one month break in between iui and ivf. And how frequent does nuh conduct the ivf classes? Thanks
I did my 4 IUIs within a yr, then went on TCM for a yr before doing ivf.
I'm not sure abt the freq of ivf classes as there happened to be one just before I cycled & nurse signed me up for it.

Take care n gd luck!!! Hope u wl get a bfp fm ur medicated FET. :)

Hi, hopeful13,
Hahahh.. The system is v cock up one for the endo scratch one.. The nurse with Dr Tan told me to call clinic D on day 1 of my menses (cycle before the actual fresh / FET ivf cycle), which I did.

Then clinic D said, ohhh, u ivf-er arh, u should call kkivf ctr, which I did again. Then kkivf centre took down my details & said someone from clinic D ll call me back.. I was like "wat? Didn't I get off the line with clinic D?"
Kkivf centre explained to me tt kkivf centre ll put up the request to clinic D & clinic D ll arrange the date of the endo scratch based on the availability of Dr Tan's schedule (some days he has clinic @ TPS) within ur window period..

Hope this helps..

My experience for endo scratch was that when i called ivf centre, they asked me whether I'm doing at ivf centre or clinic D, i said i don't know so the nurse checked Dr's notes and called me to confirm it's clinic D.

Nurse mentioned if no need sedation, it's clinic D, if need sedation, it's ivf centre. I wonder why need sedation cos it seems like a simple procedure.

I did my 4 IUIs within a yr, then went on TCM for a yr before doing ivf.
I'm not sure abt the freq of ivf classes as there happened to be one just before I cycled & nurse signed me up for it.
What ivf class are u referring to? If it's the Saturday seminar by prof... that's like every 5-6 weeks on average

& to add,
Abit frustrating it may seem, but all worked out well, clinic D reali called back within the same day & the appt was fixed..
Thanks for the info! No choice sometimes we just need to be more prompt in following up ourself! in that case I will call kkivf first then see what they say. ;)

My experience for endo scratch was that when i called ivf centre, they asked me whether I'm doing at ivf centre or clinic D, i said i don't know so the nurse checked Dr's notes and called me to confirm it's clinic D.

Nurse mentioned if no need sedation, it's clinic D, if need sedation, it's ivf centre. I wonder why need sedation cos it seems like a simple procedure.
Is this a new procedure? Hahah seems like they quite blur on the procedure. The kkivf nurse tell me endo scratching is done at clinic D. Everyone got different info.

Hi,

May i know if any sista here on long protocol for their #1 and have short protocol for the #2? Was wondering any diff in success rate btw long & short? Kk jus called n change mine to long protocol last min.

Hi,

May i know if any sista here on long protocol for their #1 and have short protocol for the #2? Was wondering any diff in success rate btw long & short? Kk jus called n change mine to long protocol last min.

@happy0341, my #1 was from long protocol. I had a short protocol for my 2nd fresh, BFP but lost both at 8 weeks. From what my dr said, generally no difference except for the type of medication used, the dosage and the duration we need to jab. Whether long or short protocol, also have to depend on individual's condition. For me, i respond better under short protocol (16 eggs with only 4 fertilised Vs 27 eggs with 14 fertilised.

Hi,

For me I respond better to long protocol. Even rate of growth for my follicles. But ultimately it still depends on individual body. How come suddenly change? What was the reason if u can share?

I also dun noe, the nurse said the director audited and said mine shld change to long one instead. Reason given is that since i bfp during my 1st frm long protocol, so now shld stay as long. Now i am waiting for their call to confirm that i can stick to short one as Dr Mathew recommend during my consultation with him. How can they jus change without informing me? Only told me e changes when i called to inform them abt my menses on the 6th..

I also dun noe, the nurse said the director audited and said mine shld change to long one instead. Reason given is that since i bfp during my 1st frm long protocol, so now shld stay as long. Now i am waiting for their call to confirm that i can stick to short one as Dr Mathew recommend during my consultation with him. How can they jus change without informing me? Only told me e changes when i called to inform them abt my menses on the 6th..
Yah so weird how can the director overwrite a doc's recommendation when he/she is not even your doc. Hope the matter get settled soon!

Had spotting this morning, which got heavier and looked like AF. Did a hpt n found to be bfn. This is way too dampening for my very first ivf.
Am going to call kkh bring fwd BT to end the agony early. Hope they allow.

Had spotting this morning, which got heavier and looked like AF. Did a hpt n found to be bfn. This is way too dampening for my very first ivf.

All the best to you, there are stories of bfp though started bleeding.

Kkh will allow bt 3 days in advance if there's bleeding, counting inclusive of the bt day.

Take care.

Why did Dr Matthew recommended to use short protocol this cycle since you've bfp the last cycle?

It's so unsettling when they change plan last min.

Hi warriors, sorry it's gg to be a long message..but need to let go my frustrations today.

My history:
Did Ivf mar n aug 2014, both bfp. However, First, ended up ectopic, second, lost heartbeat at week 9. Like everyone here, I had my share of heartbreak, depression n endless nights of crying to sleep....
IVF is not a journey for the weak n that's why we ladies here r warriors. That's what I think.

I m in my 3rd cycle now, did ER today.
This cycle, since my gynae away at my planning schedule, I decided to go with sincere.

I took Everything same as my first 2 cycles plus this cycle I Took Sincere in house vitamins since dec n stopped tcm in jan as gynae worry herbs may interrupt vitamins effect (My 2nd cycle took TSB herbs till stim)

This morning went happily for my ER. All was good......
until the anesthesiologist had to poke me 3 times before he succeeded! 2 nurses have to help him!
Yes I m slim but i had 5 times experience in gleneagles n Dr always succeed first try. Today I need go thr Dr poking me n taking out the needles on my skinny hands, not once, but 3 times! Argh...

I woke up after about 1.5 hrs later, resting on bed when nurse told me I had 6 follicles but only 4 with eggs. Disappointed as I was expecting better results ..but no choice.. I did all I could.
Then came another annoying part.
There was another lady next to my bed, nurse was chatting w her. In sincere, there r only 2 beds n close to each other.
So whatever they talked, I can hear. ( no privacy) sigh... This nurse was telling her she got xx numbers of eggs..etc etc N whisper this " u got the best results today among all other patients" ......
I m not jealous of her really... But I just felt how can a nurse compare n comment that thinking that other patient can't hear when our beds r so close? It really makes me feel sucks..

I requested to leave earlier.. Really don't want stay there.
Before I left, my gynae had a word w me. Told me my eggs don't look as good as my previous record. This round might not reach blast.. Asked me what did I eat this time?
I did yoga, accup, egg whites, red beans soup n whatever things mentioned in forum, I tried.
What did I eat/take extra this cycle? In house vitamins n saizen. What did I not eat? Tcm herbs.

Sigh.. I m not trying blame anyone, just the whole experience makes me upset.

I know I got to be positive..so need vent out before I feel better n move on. Sorry for long messages..
Wishing you all the best for this cycle gal. Am no expert in this but since you mentioned you bfp twice before high chance to bfp again and if u do please go for intralipid. It aids prevent miscarriages in first trimester. Read it on many forums. All the best once again gal.

Hi,

I did fresh #1 on long protocol & #2 on short (was surprised when Dr Tan suggested). His reason was shorter injection time, less stressful.

Frankly, I was quite disturbed like u, initially, coz m worried abt the results.

After gg thru both, I feel tt not much diff in terms of long or short protocol. The difference in results is more coz of the different medications I was given, the different response that my body reacted to the meds, most importantly, my age difference (4 years apart between fresh #1 & #2) & luck. Watever the decision to go, don't let this bother u too much yah.. Go with the flow & good luck..

Kkh do allow early BT. Juz call them & they ll advise when is the earliest u can. My BT was scheduled this Friday but they allow me to do it on Monday coz AF was here. I wanted to conclude it as early as I can.

That said, the pain of BFN is stil v sharp, especially when so much extras have been done (endo scratch, intralipid drip, lots of TCM...). Both hub & me r ok & Embryos r of good grades but they won't implant.

Glad to hv this avenue to rant coz it has all been bottled up..

Lititia, my cycle buddy,
R u still here? All the best for BT this Friday.

Thanks sistas!! Nurse called tis morning to say dat Doc said to remain as short protocol... He also said no much diff btw long n short..

I also feel that the Director never respect the doc decision n jus over-write like dat.. And also at least to keep me informed of the change before i call..

Good luck to all who are cycling tis month!!

I did fresh #1 on long protocol & #2 on short (was surprised when Dr Tan suggested). His reason was shorter injection time, less stressful.

Frankly, I was quite disturbed like u, initially, coz m worried abt the results.

After gg thru both, I feel tt not much diff in terms of long or short protocol. The difference in results is more coz of the different medications I was given, the different response that my body reacted to the meds, most importantly, my age difference (4 years apart between fresh #1 & #2) & luck. Watever the decision to go, don't let this bother u too much yah.. Go with the flow & good luck..

Kkh do allow early BT. Juz call them & they ll advise when is the earliest u can. My BT was scheduled this Friday but they allow me to do it on Monday coz AF was here. I wanted to conclude it as early as I can.

That said, the pain of BFN is stil v sharp, especially when so much extras have been done (endo scratch, intralipid drip, lots of TCM...). Both hub & me r ok & Embryos r of good grades but they won't implant.

Glad to hv this avenue to rant coz it has all been bottled up..

Lititia, my cycle buddy,
R u still here? All the best for BT this Friday.

Hi gal,
so sorry to hear bad news... Take good care of yourself and try to get yourself distracted with something.
My AF supposed to start any time now, but so far no signs. Yesterday I did a home pregnancy test and it showed clear NO. But maybe it's still too early.
Anyway, I'm prepared to hear a bad news coz the quality of embryos was quite bad. It will be really a miracle if they implant.
Take care of yourself.

I'm very sad... I tested positive on Monday and BT results shows that my hormones level is low.
And today nurse gave me a hcg shot and BT.
Results shows negative and hormones is dropping again.
How come like that? So sad.....

Kkh gave me ultra carbon after ivf for diarrhea gal.
Hi Mesara,
Thanks for the info
I'm waiting for my blood test after IVF 10days (counting down)
Keep having the menses feeling don't know will be bad news anot. I scared the diarrhea will affect my IVF.
So worry.

Last edited:
Hi gal,
so sorry to hear bad news... Take good care of yourself and try to get yourself distracted with something.
My AF supposed to start any time now, but so far no signs. Yesterday I did a home pregnancy test and it showed clear NO. But maybe it's still too early.
Anyway, I'm prepared to hear a bad news coz the quality of embryos was quite bad. It will be really a miracle if they implant.
Take care of yourself.
Thanks ladies. Glad to hv this support channel. Kkh says cannot go BT yet coz must monitor 2 more days. I was still hoping for implantation bleeding coz it was only 10days after ET. But bleeding got real heavy that i am very certain it's AF. And it's frustrating to continue the hormonal inserts with the AF at the same time.
Such things are fated. DH sperms are good & even my TCM 'discharged' me from further medications. I have 3 gynaes, all couldn't test out anything wrong w both of us. And with 7 good embryos after extracting 12 eggs, thought things were looking good. The setback w no reasons are driving up the emo roller coaster, especially w the hormonal support.
Pain & despair. Aaaarrgghhh.

Hello char mee...
I hv spotting for 3 days prior my BT.
but I BFP.
Continue to monitor ... Don't give up till hospital confirmation .

U maybe too early to test hpt.

Hi Mesara,
Thanks for the info
Keep having the menses feeling don't know will be bad news anot. I scared the diarrhea will affect my IVF.
So worry.
Dun think so much, altho easier said than done. Those who had been thru pregnancy would say symptoms are similar to pms so it could b good news.

Last edited:
Hi Mesara,
Thanks for the info
So worry.
Hello nakano...
I hv mild cramp on off too.
My friend ask me stay positive . Remain calm .
Our mood creat tension n affect our hormone.
Hv more rest .

Wishing you all the best for this cycle gal. Am no expert in this but since you mentioned you bfp twice before high chance to bfp again and if u do please go for intralipid. It aids prevent miscarriages in first trimester. Read it on many forums. All the best once again gal.

Thank u for ur kind words but I m out this cycle already. The embryologist called on Sunday n told me my embryo unlikely to survive till blast. Thus they freeze it. Mine r day 3 grade 2, 8 cell n grade 2-3, cell 5.
When I asked Dr why not transfer, he said don't think quality is good enough...
Reading the many posts here, seems day 3 tt is quite common, don't understand y my dr not doing the tt or FET lei

Thank u for ur kind words but I m out this cycle already. The embryologist called on Sunday n told me my embryo unlikely to survive till blast. Thus they freeze it. Mine r day 3 grade 2, 8 cell n grade 2-3, cell 5.
When I asked Dr why not transfer, he said don't think quality is good enough...
Reading the many posts here, seems day 3 tt is quite common, don't understand y my dr not doing the tt or FET lei

Which dr are U with? If the embryo is weak dr will want to transfer in womb earlier cos sometimes those that are not able to survive in lab can survive in womb. Also if the quality is poor U freeze it can it survive the thaw? Grading is not everything. There are many low grade embryos BFP too. U can discuss with your dr and insist to do transfer.

I m with Prof Ng Sincere... Now many questions gg thr my mind.

I was told to freeze this 2 then wait for next cycle, culture other new embryos with this frozen together, higher chance for the 2 frozen to continue growing. Anyone heard of this method?

Which dr are U with? If the embryo is weak dr will want to transfer in womb earlier cos sometimes those that are not able to survive in lab can survive in womb. Also if the quality is poor U freeze it can it survive the thaw? Grading is not everything. There are many low grade embryos BFP too. U can discuss with your dr and insist to do transfer.

Oh I forgot mentioned, Sunday was my day 3, n Prof happened to be away. so cannot do tt also. So I was left with 1) try let the 2 remaining to blast which embryologist said v low chance. 2) freeze it n culture it together next time.

I m with Prof Ng Sincere... Now many questions gg thr my mind.

I was told to freeze this 2 then wait for next cycle, culture other new embryos with this frozen together, higher chance for the 2 frozen to continue growing. Anyone heard of this method?
I was with sincere for my pte natural cycle too... Seems like they prefer this method... I told you my 2 embryos freezing away are with Sincere....

Back