IVF/ICSI Support Group

Went for IVF briefing and forms signed! :) Nurse advise NO chinese medicine during IVF process. not even after ET. But TSB said to drink after ET to boost chance. :eek: So confused!

Did any gals here drink chinese medi after ET?
For me I drink Chinese herbs before and after ER & ET. After ET, it's mainly an tai Yao to protect the fetus.

Went for IVF briefing and forms signed! :) Nurse advise NO chinese medicine during IVF process. not even after ET. But TSB said to drink after ET to boost chance. :eek: So confused!

Did any gals here drink chinese medi after ET?
Hi, for my fet, tcm asked me to stop tcm med once i start medicated fet and after bfp, dr asked me not to take tcm too coz he said i got too many medicine to take.

Hello ladies, i am on medicated FET this time. I started the progynova 5 days ago after 1st scan on my 3rd day of AF. I think my ET should be mid April. This is my first time with medicated FET since my natural FET had to abort. Any ladies can share on medicated FET procedure? My next scan is on 11th day of AF only.

Anyone can share the procedure for natural FET n medicated FET? N under wat circumstances that doc wl suggest natural FET or medicated FET? Thanks!!!

Hello ladies, i am on medicated FET this time. I started the progynova 5 days ago after 1st scan on my 3rd day of AF. I think my ET should be mid April. This is my first time with medicated FET since my natural FET had to abort. Any ladies can share on medicated FET procedure? My next scan is on 11th day of AF only.
Sorry!!! Do u mind sharing y ur natural FET was aborted? I shld b doing my FET in may or june so thinking to explore more...thanks!!!

Hi ladies who are with sgh care. Do you get updates from the embryologist everyday regardless if it's PH or weekends? Quite anxious and jittery because no updates for last 2 days even though the nurse told me that someone will call me everyday. Thank you.

Anyone can share the procedure for natural FET n medicated FET? N under wat circumstances that doc wl suggest natural FET or medicated FET? Thanks!!!

i do not understand the differences very well, but my Dr suggested natural for my upcoming FET because after my 2 failed fresh, she wants to try a round free of medication. A risk is that cycle has to be postponed if natural ovulation does not take place.

i do not understand the differences very well, but my Dr suggested natural for my upcoming FET because after my 2 failed fresh, she wants to try a round free of medication. A risk is that cycle has to be postponed if natural ovulation does not take place.
Thanks HappyPeanuts for ur advice :)

Btw, when is ur nxt FET?

On this topic of sonohysterography, would like to check with sisters here, how many of you have done this prior to starting ivf?

Dr ordered it after my 2nd failed fresh to check if there is any growth in uterus. I don't understand why she did not order it before my 1st. It's like a HSG, i rather go thru it than risking a failed ivf if there are indeed issues like polyps or fibroids.

During the sonohysterography, the Dr doing the ultrasound told me ivf Drs usually order it before every ivf. When I told her my query why my ivf Dr only ordered it after 2 failed cycles, she tried to explain that maybe Dr didn't see any signs of possible problems. Well, I'm still not very convinced and feel that it sd hv been done before i commenced with ivf.

Has any sister done sonohysterography, and when?

For sisters starting ivf soon, you may wish to check with yr Dr on this.

Thanks.

Hi ladies who are with sgh care. Do you get updates from the embryologist everyday regardless if it's PH or weekends? Quite anxious and jittery because no updates for last 2 days even though the nurse told me that someone will call me everyday. Thank you.

I recall that they call me the day aft ER n the day b4 I m supposed to go down for ET. Both for all my 3 cycles they r all on working days. So not sure if they call on wkend/ PH.

On this topic of sonohysterography, would like to check with sisters here, how many of you have done this prior to starting ivf?

Dr ordered it after my 2nd failed fresh to check if there is any growth in uterus. I don't understand why she did not order it before my 1st. It's like a HSG, i rather go thru it than risking a failed ivf if there are indeed issues like polyps or fibroids.

During the sonohysterography, the Dr doing the ultrasound told me ivf Drs usually order it before every ivf. When I told her my query why my ivf Dr only ordered it after 2 failed cycles, she tried to explain that maybe Dr didn't see any signs of possible problems. Well, I'm still not very convinced and feel that it sd hv been done before i commenced with ivf.

Thanks.
If u are referring to HSG, usually it's done as one of the earliest infertility test, even before any fertility treatment.
HSG is to test whether tubes are open. Fibroids & polyps can be seen on u/s, no need HSG.
Ivf does not require open tubes since that part of the passage is skipped when embryo is transferred to uterus directly. But if going iui, yes u need to clear HSG test.
That's what I thought, but I may be wrong.

Natural FET suits only ladies with regular cycles and have ovulation every month. Medicated FET suits all ladies, as it allows doctor to have full control of the cycle.

Last edited:
If u are referring to HSG, usually it's done as one of the earliest infertility test, even before any fertility treatment.
HSG is to test whether tubes are open. Fibroids & polyps can be seen on u/s, no need HSG.
Ivf does not require open tubes since that part of the passage is skipped when embryo is transferred to uterus directly. But if going iui, yes u need to clear HSG test.
That's what I thought, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for sharing. i'm referring to sonohysterography which is ultrasound for the uterus , not HSG. I've done HSG prior to ivf.

Thanks for sharing. i'm referring to sonohysterography which is ultrasound for the uterus , not HSG. I've done HSG prior to ivf.
Is it a special u/s that's different from the usual one during scans?
If it's a different one, then no, I've not done anything like it prior to my fresh or FET.

Either May or June. I went for a sonohysterography last week, will go for Dr review next week. If all is well, likely to start in May.

what are yr plans?
Im gg for dr review on 22 apr so wl decide after review wif dr thh...most probably wl start in May or June...

Which dr r u wif now? U oso kkh?

hi @aarlysa Hope your Tokyo trip went well. Sorry to hear about your mom.

I am in similar situation as the only married daughter with 2 unmarried brothers. I have a #1 (through IVF) and trying for #2 (also via IVF). My mom had a health scare last year and I was running in/out hospital for herself and for myself (IVF jabs/scans/tests etc). It was a stressful period but no choice, bite the bullet. My mom was hospitalized and out of action for 2 months in Aug/Sep. My Sep/Oct IVF was a BFP but ended up in m/c at 12 weeks (Dec). I am now re-awaiting for my next FET and the clock is ticking towards 40 :( My husband tells me that I'm spreading myself too thin in life, family and work. Thinking back on it, I wouldn't have done things differently. I'd still have proceeded with IVF knowing my mom's condition. I am not the sort who want to wait for the most optimum conditions before attempting. I believe life is what it is, throwing things at you and we need to make the best of it.

The only difference is this is your first IVF, which is not for the faint-hearted as you'd have learnt from fellow sisters out here. I don't know your mom's prognosis. However, if you were to shoulder a lot of her care and decisions, this could be a very difficult time for you ahead. Going in for IVF could really add to your emotional stress. If you do decide to go for IVF as planned, please arm yourself with good support from your brothers for your mother's care and good support from your husband for IVF. Also try to make arrangements for other aspects eg work if these are stress factors. Good luck and all the best.

hi all,

Been a silent reader all this while trying to take in as much as i can before i myself embark on this journey. Here's a little bit of my history,
We got married in July 2009. I had ectopic pregancy in Nov 2009. Doc removed my right fallopian tube. Since then, we've been ttc but no luck so far.
Husband has low morphology & sperm count is low.
We will be going for IVF next mth. Now waiting for my menses to come. We'll be going Tokyo this Sat in the hope to relax our mind & body before the next leap of faith.
Unfortunately, my mum was just diagnose with Breast cancer stage 4; which has now spread to her bones.
I'm now not sure if i shd carry on with my IVF plan or to postpone it. I'm scared all these will be too overwhelming for my body. On another hand, i'm more pressurized to have a baby asap as she has no grandchildren yet & im the only married one. My 2 brothers are not married yet.
I'm now clueless. :(

I recall that they call me the day aft ER n the day b4 I m supposed to go down for ET. Both for all my 3 cycles they r all on working days. So not sure if they call on wkend/ PH.
Thanks hopeful for the info. Appreciate.:) I feel at least update once in 2 days else the mind keeps wandering. Don't know how many have survived and the grade etc.

I have not done ivf before. I'm doing iui. I did hsg before I start on any of the fertility treatments. 1/2 way thru I did sonohysterography before I start my iui. Fr what I know fr my dr who did iui for me was since hsg done 2yrs back was normal so didn wan to recheck it but because still can't conceive so he wan double check n make sure nothing goes wrong so did sonohysterography. Now that my iui is failed he wan me to repeat hsg again.

Thanks.
Hi happy peanuts, I did SIS (sonohysterography) before my 2nd ivf. First ivf was not done as the doc based on my HSG report few mths back (less than 6 mths) before I removed my fibroids.

For 2nd IVF, I change to Dr Tan HH and I believe it depends on the situation and if doc suspect that something is not right then he ordered for the test. But I do know that Dr Tan tend to get patients to do the SIS before start of ivf. For my case, he wanted me to do it becos I told him my menses reduce greatly after I remove the fibroids. He was concern of scarring in the womb.

After SIS, there was indeed some scarring & he had to perform hysteroscopy for me. I had to rest for a few mths before commencing on my 2nd IVF.

So I think it's still not a standard test as I think HSG if done recently should be able to capture abnormalities in the womb too. And maybe HSG is done because it's easier to scan the Fallopian tube compared to SIS. Not sure if I am correct.

Hi happy peanuts, I did SIS (sonohysterography) before my 2nd ivf. First ivf was not done as the doc based on my HSG report few mths back (less than 6 mths) before I removed my fibroids.

For 2nd IVF, I change to Dr Tan HH and I believe it depends on the situation and if doc suspect that something is not right then he ordered for the test. But I do know that Dr Tan tend to get patients to do the SIS before start of ivf. For my case, he wanted me to do it becos I told him my menses reduce greatly after I remove the fibroids. He was concern of scarring in the womb.

After SIS, there was indeed some scarring & he had to perform hysteroscopy for me. I had to rest for a few mths before commencing on my 2nd IVF.

So I think it's still not a standard test as I think HSG if done recently should be able to capture abnormalities in the womb too. And maybe HSG is done because it's easier to scan the Fallopian tube compared to SIS. Not sure if I am correct.
I hv juz failed my first fresh...but dr tan did not order both HSG or SIS for me b4 the start of my ivf though i hv record of polyps b4 but it was flushed out thru menses so nothing need to be done...both my pte gynae n dr tan confirmed that polyps r not there after u/s..

I hv juz failed my first fresh...but dr tan did not order both HSG or SIS for me b4 the start of my ivf though i hv record of polyps b4 but it was flushed out thru menses so nothing need to be done...both my pte gynae n dr tan confirmed that polyps r not there after u/s..
Actually my HSG was done when I was trying IUI. I suppose when I decided to do ivf, HSG is not necessary since ivf will eliminate the use of Fallopian tube. I only did SIS becos of reduced menses which may suggest problem in the womb.

How are u feeling now? When are u expected to see Dr Tan for review? For my next cycle, Dr Tan suggested that I do endo scratching to increase chances of success. Maybe u can ask him during your review?

Hi all, I have been a silent reader for a while and would like to get some advise for those that has more experience ttc. I have ttc for about 2 years. Tried 3 month of clomid early last year but failed. I was then diagnosed with endometriosis in my ovary and had it removed. But the cyst grew back a month after the laparoscopy. I am going to fertility doctor faithfully now that I am feeling the pressure of time. I just did unmedicated iui last month but failed. And was thinking to give it one more try this month and proceed with ivf if it failed, but the follicle decided to stop growing at 11mm and no iui will happen. This has never happened before. Hence the doctor would like me to go for another round of iui + clomid this time. I am very confused. On one had I would like to not having to go through ivf. I know i have been ovulating regularly but pregnancy just never happened, maybe due to endometriosis(non conclusive). On the other hand I not sure if I want to waste my time to go for another round of iui and if it doesnt work out I will have wasted 2 months before i can proceed with ivf. Any advise and thought will be appreciable. Thanks

Hi all, I have been a silent reader for a while and would like to get some advise for those that has more experience ttc. I have ttc for about 2 years. Tried 3 month of clomid early last year but failed. I was then diagnosed with endometriosis in my ovary and had it removed. But the cyst grew back a month after the laparoscopy. I am going to fertility doctor faithfully now that I am feeling the pressure of time. I just did unmedicated iui last month but failed. And was thinking to give it one more try this month and proceed with ivf if it failed, but the follicle decided to stop growing at 11mm and no iui will happen. This has never happened before. Hence the doctor would like me to go for another round of iui + clomid this time. I am very confused. On one had I would like to not having to go through ivf. I know i have been ovulating regularly but pregnancy just never happened, maybe due to endometriosis(non conclusive). On the other hand I not sure if I want to waste my time to go for another round of iui and if it doesnt work out I will have wasted 2 months before i can proceed with ivf. Any advise and thought will be appreciable. Thanks

How is your hubby's SA results? Like what other ladies mentioned in the IUI thread, IUI is harder to succeed if hubby has poor morphology and motility. I assume you do not have blocked fallopian tube.

I failed my IUI.

IVF is much more invasive to the woman's body so doctors will encourage woman to try IUI before IVF.

Last edited:
I failed 4 IUIs before proceeded to ivf. Hubby morphology issue so I kind of knew iui won't work.
But still tried IUIs to tell myself that at least I tried the less invasive mtds before putting my body thru ivf.
The IUIs were more like "trying my luck for the last time". Of course I wish u have better luck with iui.
I also have recurring endom cysts. My endom cyst disappeared the moment I bfp.. dr says if lucky, it won't appear again after pregnancy.

How is your hubby's SA results? Like what other ladies mentioned in the IUI thread, IUI is harder to succeed if hubby has poor morphology and motility. I assume you do not have blocked fallopian tube.

I failed my IUI.

IVF is much more invasive to the woman's body so doctors will encourage woman to try IUI before IVF.
My hubby's SA result is good. Seems like everything is alright except the chocolate cyst in my ovary. Even though the doctor doesnt want to draw conclusion the cyst is the cause, but I was told by other doctor before and also forum that the cyst will create a hostile enviroment for the egg and sperm. Thus I am very confused. Not sure if I should go straight to ivf.

Sj123, how long did it take for yr cyst to return? I too have severe endo and did a lap last April. It has since been almost a year and still not pregnant. I worry that my endo may have returned...

Actually my HSG was done when I was trying IUI. I suppose when I decided to do ivf, HSG is not necessary since ivf will eliminate the use of Fallopian tube. I only did SIS becos of reduced menses which may suggest problem in the womb.

How are u feeling now? When are u expected to see Dr Tan for review? For my next cycle, Dr Tan suggested that I do endo scratching to increase chances of success. Maybe u can ask him during your review?
Hi hopeful13, im fine thanks. Im gg to see dr tan on 22 apr...looking into to do FET in may or june...ok...i wl ask him abt the endo scratching...thanks!!!

Hv u done the endo scratching? How is the procedure?

tsf0205, i have mild endo, a cyst less than 2mm in one side of the ovaries. But it returned the next month after the lap, back to square one. I did the lap in Msia, also last April, approaching a year. And i had hyperthyroid twice before. Maybe somehow it is affecting me as well. I am with NUH now and they can't draw a conclusion that the cyst is actually causing the infertility and do not recommend me to do another lap. Did you try iui before? Any success?

Last edited:
Hi
Do anyone know if I had done IVF and I got diarrhea can take Lacteol fort and ultracarbon tablet?
You shd call the clinic to check. Or see a GP informing them you've done ivf. Interestingly I had diarrhoea after Ivf but let it pass coz only an isolated incident. Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration.

Hi hopeful13, im fine thanks. Im gg to see dr tan on 22 apr...looking into to do FET in may or june...ok...i wl ask him abt the endo scratching...thanks!!!

Hv u done the endo scratching? How is the procedure?

Hi, I did endo scratch for my current cycle. The scratch is to b done the cycle before ur ivf/ FET cycle, approximately 1 week before CD1 of ur ivf/ FET cycle.

It is to b done in clinic D, takes a couple of mins & feels like a Pap smear. I managed to go back to work thereafter as was feeling ok & wanted to save some leaves for actual ivf..

Hope this helps.

KK IVF ladies, anyone has the KK IVF handphone contact?
I've been trying to call through a nurse at the landline all morning without success.

tsf0205, i have mild endo, a cyst less than 2mm in one side of the ovaries. But it returned the next month after the lap, back to square one. I did the lap in Msia, also last April, approaching a year. And i had hyperthyroid twice before. Maybe somehow it is affecting me as well. I am with NUH now and they can't draw a conclusion that the cyst is actually causing the infertility and do not recommend me to do another lap. Did you try iui before? Any success?
Cyst on ovary considered severe endo oredi. For mild cases, won't have cyst from what I know... I can't do iui cos of male factor. I think u can try Ivf if u wan a higher success rate.

Dear ladies, I am getting confused on the level of Vitamin A in prenatal supplements, as large doses may cause birth defects. Some online sources state over 3mg is toxic, another states 9 mg. I am taking Blackmore Pregnancy which has 4.8 mg of Betacarotene already, excluding other supplements which I have yet to include. Has anyone consulted your Dr on Vitamin A safety?

I failed 4 IUIs before proceeded to ivf. Hubby morphology issue so I kind of knew iui won't work.
But still tried IUIs to tell myself that at least I tried the less invasive mtds before putting my body thru ivf.
The IUIs were more like "trying my luck for the last time". Of course I wish u have better luck with iui.
I also have recurring endom cysts. My endom cyst disappeared the moment I bfp.. dr says if lucky, it won't appear again after pregnancy.
remember rainbow, may i know how fast did you get to do ivf after the failed iui in NUH? Can i do ivf the immediate month of an unsucessful iui? The nurse told me there must be a one month break in between iui and ivf. And how frequent does nuh conduct the ivf classes? Thanks

Hi, I did endo scratch for my current cycle. The scratch is to b done the cycle before ur ivf/ FET cycle, approximately 1 week before CD1 of ur ivf/ FET cycle.

It is to b done in clinic D, takes a couple of mins & feels like a Pap smear. I managed to go back to work thereafter as was feeling ok & wanted to save some leaves for actual ivf..

Hope this helps.
Hi, just to add, Dr can give MC for endo scratch. But I took half day leave for mine.

Back