IVF at NUH--feedback pls

Hi Snow-White
I'm with Prof Wong since Yr 2006. He is a wise man.
The whole process of IVF takes around 4-6 weeks. Starting injection on Day 21 of your menses, 14 days of Suprefact, 10-14 days of Gonal F (in betw there will be scanning, blood tests), follow by ER/ET and the 2ww. Once u have decided to start IVF, u n DH need to do blood tests n he needs to do SA. Hope its clarify.

thanks Noi for the info.
happy.gif

Hi ladies,

I'm new to this thread.I've also been with PC wong since beginning of this yr.had stillbirth in 2007.took me a long time to conceive.9 mths later,2 failed IUIs (with PC wong),i got preg naturally,but miscarriage at 9 wks.i'm so depressed now coz all hubby's friends are showing off their big bellies.damn facebook.if not for facebook,we can avoid seeing all these ppl.haha.i had an op to ressect my uterine septum.hubby has bilateral varicocele diagnosed with dr peter lim at Gleneagles.not sure if surgery can help.but having gone thru' surgery myself and the pain i suffered,a bit reluctant for hubby to go thru' it.and the testicles are such delicate structures.tot of doing IVF straight once i've recovered.now looking for ppl who have done it with PC wong.glad i found this thread.the 9 mths that we tried to conceive was really hellish,esp after the stillbirth.it's very difficult,so i tot assisted conception is the way to go.at least i don't have to worry abt my hubby not co-operating.anyway,hubby's sperm quality and motility no good.but surprisingly,i managed to get preg naturally twice.so he still thinks he's a stud.haha.males and their egos.

can someone pls tell me the cost? i think we only have enough in our medisaves for 3 cycles

Monster,
I am sorry about your mc..its very difficult but encouraging to see that you stay motivated. Do go to this site on ivf support, the girls there are nice and helpful and can teach you a lot. I am there too..

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/5/154014.html

Generally speaking, at NUH, after the subsidies and medisave, you need to set aside max SGD2000 of cash per cycle depending on the amount of medication you use for egg stimulation.

Hi, I'm on D12 of suprefact and starting on first IVF. Tried IUI with 2 promising follicles but did not get pregnant. Disappointment was surreal. Anyone around same timeline as me? Any acupuncture doc to recommend?

I use uZap to get rid of the small bruises from the needles, is it ok?

hi..ladies. Im new in this thread..previously i was in another thread. Anyway..im thinking of doing my 2nd fresh cycle at NUH. how are the charges like?..cos at kkivf ..i get the 3000 govt grant and also cos its my 2nd time so medisave will be 5000..so wondering at NUH ..do we still get to use medi and also govt grant??

Hi hope & faith,

as long as u do it in a gov hospital,the subsidy will be the same.i think 1st cycle,gov subsidy is the most.2nd cycle,it lessens.the amt usable fr CPF is the same.1st cycle is the most,2nd cyle,it's less

hi, i'm new here. just had my 2nd cycle of IVF, going to have my ET on fri, i've 6 embryos, but not sure how's the quality, anybody can share with me what can i do to improve my implantation?

Can one make the payment for IVF in any hospital in Singapore under any instalment plan of the hospitals or credit card companies. I recently came across someone who had his lasik surgery done and paid using an UOB card at 24 months 0% plan. I am hoping I can get IVF done via similar plan.

hi all,
am new to the thread. Am thinking to try out IVF since i have been trying for 1.5 years. Am currently on TCM now. Can anyone share with me how long in advance should stop the medicine before preparing the body for IVF?

Hello,

I am new here. Me and my husband has been trying hard to have kids but still no good news. We have seeking 2 diff. gynae and still cant get preg. Really disppointed and almost giving up.
In the end, we decided to take up the IVF option (which we both agreed that this is the last opt.). after reading all the above comments and advices, it really give me handful information.

From the above comments, most of the gals mentioned about PC Wong, he sound we should approach him for advices. But what is the success rate under him?

Lastly, before really into the procedure, what do we need to prepare ourselves in order to have high percentage of success rate?

Hi I am new here too. I am currently on my first cycle of the IVF program with Dr Steven Chew. Anyone seeing him too? I was referred to him by my gynae who feels he is more personal and friendly.

I had my first child through IUI (first time success) but subsequently, went through several for 2nd baby but not successful. So have resorted to IVF.

Just started my Gonal F yesterday. I am most worried about all the complications that may come along esp OHSS. Can anyone describe how it is like besides bloatedness? How bloated can you go? We have not told our family that we are on the program. Everything has to be discrete as we do not want unneccessary pressure for people around.

Hi Mabel,
Dr. Chew did the transfer for me and he is quite skillful. His v-scan doesn't hurt as much compared to some gynae i met.

As for OHSS, not everyone will get it. I had some bloating after the HCG trigger shot but I increase my protein by taking ensure milk powder and it kinda help and went away.

You can probably join the IVF/ICSI support thread for more info and discussion.

Take care and all the best to you!

Hi bakaholic

Thank you so much for your reply to me. I wanted to read more about him but seems like everyone is with Prof Wong or some other gynae from Gleneagles or KKH.
happy.gif

I am on Gonal-F right now and feels kind of tired, have some headache but bearable and last evening, after jab, had a little cramp at the left calf. Praying for no severe side effects to come cos I have to take care of my 3 yr old son and my MIL is going for op on her knee next week which means I will need to handle all cooking, washing, ironing etc....keep telling myself must relax. Really trying my best espcially with my 3 yr old. He can send my emotions going real high.

Anyways, all you ladies, take care and pray success for each other.
happy.gif

Cheers

Hi Mabel,
How's Dr Chew so far?

I'm gonna see him end March. Hope he's friendly & caring.

I'm starting IVF this May, very apprehensive abt whole procedure & worried abt not being able to take leave from work. sigh. stressed already.

Hi Mabel,

I wish u success! I'm new on this portal too! =)

saw your entry in the support group page but alas, i didn't see where i could post a message there.

Hi Moon Jelly

Sorry for not replying earlier. Really busy as my MIL just had her knee op.

Dr Chew is very friendly and lighthearted. Though he can't spend too much time talking to each patient due to tight schedules, he will still answer questions in a friendly manner. I was late for 45 mins last week for my scan and BT due to bad traffic on AYE (I come from the East). He waited for me and never show that he is not happy. Still very friendly and said he knows its the traffic....phew! I feel bad as i know how busy they are.

Moon jelly

Don't be too worried about it. Actually I would say the jabs are not as terrifying as I imagined. The needles are fine. if you are working, I think it will be good to pre-emp your boss about the leave or time-off you need for the regular BT and scans. They are usually early morning 8.30am unless doctors have emergency cases. For the first 2 weeks, you only need to jab and need not go back. after which, BT and scans will be more regular, ranging from between 4 to 2 days intervals leading to egg collection.

On Egg collection day you will need to take leave as you will be sedated. Then on egg transfer day, too should take leave eventhough there is no sedation cos it will be better to have bed rest.. Important thing, relax!!! I wish you the very best too!
happy.gif
My egg collection could likely be this Saturday. time flies!

Mabel,
For egg transfer day, you need the whole day cos it's about mid-morning to noon which they will do the procedure. AFter that, you have to lie in bed for at least 2 hrs in the ward before you go home. I would suggest you to go home and rest after that.
The hospital will give you hospitalisation leave from egg pick till BT day.

Hello,

Can I intrude?

Can check which CD is it for ER and ET? Hospitalisation leave is it compulsory must take? My friend who did her IVF in melbourne said the dr there dun give any MC or HL, straight away go back to work after ET.

Hi Mabel,

I am also doing my IVF Fresh cycle at NUH - egg collection sometime next week! You are probably a few days ahead of me!

I am normally with Prof PC Wong, but Dr Chew is doing for me since Prof is not around.

Am also on Gonal F now, not very bloated, what about you?

Tweetie, what is CD? Hospitalisation leave - I suppose you can go back to work if you really have to. But not recommended, as my friend, who works in an O&G clinic says that some people go back to work after ET. But she says that the chance of failure is higher and it is important to remain stress-free! Since we are spending so much $$ on this, why take the chance if you can?

Hi msmummy

Wow!! great to know you are also in the same cycle as me. Wish us both luck. I will be doing my ER tomorrow. My Gonal F jab has been ok. Not much side effects but still Dr Chew has been reducing my dosage from 375, then 300 then 225, then 187.5 and then to 150 towards the last two jabs. Feeling fine so far after the Ovidrel. More nervous about this next stage.

When is your ER scheduled? Any idea?

Hi Mabel,

Good luck with your ER tomorrow! Do you have to take the whole day off for ER?

Not sure when exactly my ER and ET is supposed to be leh.. I usually have very bad timing and even for IUI, will always end up with the ideal day on a Satruday or Sunday, or public holiday. Sigh..

If everything y ER is likely to be around Good Friday or Saturday, so ET will be next Monday?

Let me know how you get on.. we can support each other through the dreaded 2ww!

Hi Msmummy

I actually stopped work temporarily for this whole process. I didn't want to take chances. But if you are working, I suggest taking the whole day off cos the nurse told me all ER procedures are from noon onwards. Gotta be at hospital by 10am. Hubby's spermies gotta to be there by 8.30am.

So after the whole procedure, we will be staying in the ward for about 2 to 3 hours. Since we are going to be sedated, I believe it will be quite groggy after that. They even mentioned that there must be someone to take us back. Cannot go on our own..

Mine almost fall on Saturday too. But doc decided on Monday and adjusted by dosage of Goanl F. I guess doctors will control it by varying the dosages towards the end so that it falls on a possible day to do the ER. Don't worry. Nurse told be ET is likely to be 3 days later, exclude day of ER.

Okie...so we keep each other in the loop. All the best and RELAX!!
happy.gif

Hi hi

Have been away from the computer. ER went well but a little disappointed to learn that out of the 9 follicles only 4 eggs were retrieved. Today, embroyologist called to say that out of the 4 eggs, 3 are fertilized. Now we are just praying they will do well till transfer date. tomorrow I will chk with her what grade are they.

Feeling quite bloated and a little nauseas and crampy when I walk. But still managed to cook dinner. Luckily no vomitting after the sugery. could eat a pack of rice with meat and veg plus some milo and biscuits. I guess I was really hungry....hehehe Wish me luck!!
happy.gif

Msmummy-got your date for ER yet?

Hi Mabel,

3 eggs fertilised is not bad! You should have had your ET by now? All the best and hope that you will be very blessed!

My ER is tomorrow morning and ET will be on Tuesday!

Unfortunately, today feeling a bit sniffy, hope that with a good night rest, it will be OK tomorrow morning.

Hi msmummy

Yes, I had my ET done on Thursday 12.30pm. 2 of good quality and one of satisfactory quality. Good luck to you too.

For me this is the 2nd day after ET and I am feeling all bloated and constipated. The bloating is still bearable but the constipation is bad. Last night, at midnight, I had a terrible tummy ache and I was worried it could be OHSS. I kept passing out gas and burping. no bowel movements. I finally couldn't take it and took two normal panadols. I called the nurses and they told me normal panadols are safe to take for things like headaches and all. Then this morning I managed to have some bowel movement and the pain subsided. Tummy bloatedness still there but have eben drinking Ensure milk and eating egg whites as suggested by the nurses.

For me, as much as I try to rest, still have to cook, play with my 3yo and do some simple chores around. The rest I leave it to my hubby. But I read that bed rest is only a psychological assurance for patients and there is no evidence to prove that it will imporve chances of conception and implantation. As long as no strenuous activities.
All the best to you. Stay happy and positive. Take care!

hello, i'm starting this Sat! =) a bit apprehensive abt bloating...dunno how it will go in 2 weeks' time. How are u doing w the self-injections? Hope things go well for u. =)

Hi Girls, sorry for late reply, I lost the thread, I find this website hard to negotiate.
I am still on supression, where are you girls in your cycle?

I am also looking for good acupuncture doctor, please if anyone has suggestions can you share?

Hello, He's a wonderful doc & I was his patient for the last 3 years. We did 3 IUIs & 2 IVFs but all flopped
sad.gif
Now we are looking for adoption. All the best to you for all those eggs to stick & hatch
happy.gif

Ladies, enjoy the warmth the CHR team showers for all its patients. They are really great & deserve a BIGGGGGGGGGG hug.

c u ladies around as proud moms soon

all the best

ARP Insurance

Why do we have to pay the insurance within 7 days of ET? isn't it unfair, when we dun even know preggie yet or not..? Mine is $800+ also not sure preggie or not, unethical of them rite?

I was with prof Wong last year and was succesful for my first ivf. Now I'm a proud mother of 8 months old twins- boy and girl! Prof Wong does not talk much but very professional. His nurses are all very friendly and helpful. Waiting time not long but be prepared to have a list of questions before seeing him or else eAch session with him is less than 10 mins.

Soho,
The insurance is to cover the medical fees in case that babies need special care after delivery as chances of premmies are high if triples.
You put in 3 embies so the insurance is on the high side. I think it's compulsory by law. Nothing uneithical about it.
Previously, i had the procedure in a private hospital and paid that amount as well but it was negative. So, this time round i put 2 in NUH and now my boy is 3mths old.
happy.gif

Hi all,

Need your advice. Is nuh better than
Kkh? Do we need to get a referral from polyclinic if we want to do ivf at nuh? What is the estimated cost of doing ivf at nuh?

Tks .. Thinking of going for ivf but dunno where to start :-(

hi ladies,
I hope this thread will be busy again. Need more ladies from NUH to come in to share their IVF experiences. I will be doing IVF with Prof Wong soon. Just failed my 2nd IUI : ( Wanna to know more abt the IVF procedures in NUH. And does anyone know the successful rate in NUH?

Hi all,
I too am thinking of having IVF with PC Wong. I've had unsuccessful IUIs elsewhere and have been looking around for a good IVF centre. It seems like a lot of ladies like PC Wong, but that he does not explain very much. Is he happy and takes time to answer questions? What is the embryology lab like? Does the embryologist update regularly? Thanks a lot

hi babySeeToh,
I had gone for the IVF counselling in NUH CHR(Clinic for Human Reproductive)in Dec. Mayb i can share with u wat i know.

For a fresh IVF, the procedures are as follow:

Supression stage
1)Suprefact jabs at D21 for 14days.
2)After 14days of jab, go for bloodtest and ultrascan.

Stimulation stage
3)Gonal F jabs for 14days.
4) Need to go back for ultrascan n bloodtest on and off during thsese 14days.
5) If follicles amt and size are sutiable, do the ovidrel jab to trigger ovulation

ER and ET stage
6) ER (egg retrieve)36-42hrs after the ovidrel jab. Sperm specimens must be given to the lab on tat day.
7) Fertilisation take place in the lab.
8) ET (egg transfer) 3-5days after ER depending on the quality of the embryos
9) 2WW till beta test : )
During 2WW, we need to insert Crinone daily as a form of support. HL will be given from ER to beta test for u to rest at home.

You may call CHR if you need to book the appointment to know more on the ivf procedures in NUH. Sorry i have forgotten the no. Will post in the thread later.

hi babySeeToh,

CHR no is 67745336.
BTW, hav u done any less invasive assisted methods such iui/so-iui before?

Serene, I be joining u for the journey of ivf. Would be going down to do bld test on 3rd of menses. Then see Prof to discuss the details

Hi Serene, babySeeToh, bluenosebear,
I have decided to go ahead with ICSI at NUH and will be starting with my DR (down-regulation) injections next week. A bit nervous about it all, but am staying positive. I found the nurses at CHR really helpful and they really took their time to explain everything.
When will you ladies be starting? Are you doing normal IVF or ICSI?
Wishing you lots of luck!

CeliaM, I be seeing Prof @27/1 to review my blood test result, hope he give green light to let me start this month. Then u, Serene & me can be cycle buddies

Hi CeliaM, *wave* me going NUH next Fri (28th Jan) for my suprefact jab. U r going on which date?

When the nurse breakdown the cost for me, she also indicated ICSI. I asked her based on my hub's SA result, we shld not need ICSI. But she mentioned most like need. So i m wondering isst all IVF process in NUH will normally doing ICSI?
BTW, did the nurse tell u must hav protective sex during tis period? Cos i read from internet and the gals in other thread told me if we "luckily" get pregnant during our suppression stage (suprefact jab), it will cause harm to the foetus and we might need to do abortion leh. But the CHR nurse told me likewise. So better to have protective sex during tis period. tot I can try one mth of natural ttc. guess cannot liao.
If everything proceed smoothly, i shld b able to do ER and ET by end Feb : ) We can be cycle buddies.

Back