How to increase milk supply for my 8 week old

Shanwil

Hi mummies,

I'm a new mum who would like to tap into your experience on how to increase milk supply.

I latch my bb on and then pump but has stopped pumping cos I'm not able to produce enough for feeding 2-3hours later. I also supplement with Formula but only once a day. Bb is drinking around 120-150ml per feed. The milk I expressed daily will b used up by bb in a day n there is no way I can express n store in packs like some moms do :( The most I can expressed is 230ml after an 8 hour break.

I'm taking fenugreek religiously n to top it off, I'm also drinking nursing teas to boost even more milk supply. I try to latch bb on as often as possible in the day n feed him expressed milk at night. M feeling discouraged that my milk supply isn't enough for me to pump n store for future drinks.

Understand that part of not having enough milk supply is also hereditary.

Any helpful advice?
Shan

Hi, try to look for motherlove more milk special blend. It helps a lot for me! I usually drink nursing tea plus munching on garbanzo beans. But I work from home and have to entertain my kids so it becomes a hassle for me. I found the more milk special blend. Just 1 ml drop into your mouth every 6 hourly. Now my breast is always full :)

Join Breastfeeding Mums on fb to get advice from more experienced bfing mums. There are many factors involved in increasing milk supply... wld be gd to get various tips from diff mums and they can also help to troubleshoot yr situation.

Hi mummy.. How old is ur lil one? If u r concerned about e output for pumping n storing..maybe u can google abt power pumping. Dedicate 1 or 2 days for it.. On top of e current galactogogues u r taking, u may consider finding natural milk-boosting foods. Can also google for lactation cookies. For me, longan drink, oats n spinach helps in maintaining my supply.
At times, it may seems like ur lil ones r nursing forever n get cranky n its easily mistaken that they dun feed enuf but actually it could simply be that they r going thru a growth spurts. If possible, try to gradually decrease e fm feed till nil n ur milk supply will increase n maintain just enuf for ur lil ones needs. Always remember that supply = demand. If u have a long term goal to bf, just persevere n dun give up no matter how difficult it may seems coz mummy's milk is e best for our lil ones whenever possible. :)

Hi mummy, how much water do u drink in a day? When i was fully breastfeeding my son, i realised that my milk production dipped on days when i do not drink enough water. You might wanna see whether that works for u.

Thank you mummies for replying : )

I drink at least 3L of water daily, milk and lactation tea. I do power pumping once a day at ard 7am and that will be used for the night feed on the same day. Like what I've mentioned, my son drinks up all the milk I expressed daily. No chance and excess milk for freezer storage.

No sure if breasts size matters? Coz my breasts did not grow much at all during and after pregnancy. Some friends had gigantic boobs and they milk like a cow!

Whatever it is I will persevere in BFdg..

Breast size does not affect milk supply at all. The most impt factor is supply and demand. Latch/pump often enough (e.g. every 2-3 hours including nighttime) and your body will produce more milk to meet the demand. Even if pumping doesn't produce milk initially, the stimulation would signal your body to produce milk after some time.

Only a very small percentage of mums have supply issues, and it is a biological problem. It is unlikely that you fall in this group.

Hi Mummies,

I am a mummy with 2 kids - went through the tedious yet rewarding breastfeeding journey... And managed to discover natural ingredients to boost my supply via lactation cookies. Now I'm doing this for mummies who are interested to explore this option, and have also managed to obtain good reviews. Lactation cookies are still not common in Asian countries and I've also done quite a number of adjustments (which also included letting a group of mummies testing the cookies) before deriving to my current cookies. Feel free to check this out at www.milkoflove.com. Thank you and feel free to contact me if you have any queries.

Hi mummy, thank u for your reply! I would love to try the cookies. How can I get them? What ingredients r in the cookies btw?

hi, i duno if it works for u but i bf my gal for 22mths. i pump exclusively though..
1. rest well
2. hyrdrate well drink before u bf or pump
3. drink maternal milk, milo
4. eat more fish, fish soup. my CL cook alot papaya soup.
5. eat balance meals and healthy snacks
6. pump very religiously. first wk 1 pump every 3 hrs, 2nd wk i stretch abit 4hrly. slowly reducing frequency depending on ur supply output and consumption.

the trick is must totally empty the breast few times to increase production the next time. if latch le, must pump again. even no milk come out, pump somemore. trick the brain to make more milk next time. hope it helps.

Back