Advice needed for Day 3 Newborn - Breastfeeding with Supplement Formula

Aspiring Dad

Hi all,

I’m a newbie dad and we just had a baby boy in Perth few days ago. Like to seek the collective wisdom of this forum regarding breastfeeding.

My wife’s been breastfeeding the lil one almost 1-1.5hrs in between each feed. But the newborn started crying inconsolably after each feed on day 2 and was still showing hunger cues after feeding. The initial feeding took 30mins on day 1 and almost an hour on day 2. My wife is suspecting she is not producing sufficient colostrum and milk supply is not here yet. Lactation consultant tried to hand express colostrum to no avail and gave us a breast pump to use for 15mins after each feeding (which is taking a toll on my wife after the long feeding session

On day 2, Newborn started to cry more frequently and at most sleep for 30mins then start to fuss again. Noted his pee had reddish discharge and was informed that its urea crystals and the nurses said it’s normal. I googled and read that the baby could be dehydrated due to insufficient colostrum/milk intake. They also claimed that the increased feedings were due to cluster feeding.

I caved in and requested for formula milk of which the nurses started to get edgy and informed us that whatever we experienced is normal. Somehow, our paternal instincts told us that the baby is definitely very hungry from his inconsolable crying. The nurses got us to sign a consent form for the usage of formula milk.

After giving lil one 20ml of milk, he sleep soundly after and even passed poo. But we could gradually see that he is rejecting the breast a little more (perhaps no colostrum/milk flow as compared to bottle feeding). He started to fuss when latched on on day 3 night and I could visibly see the guilt and despair on my wife’s face for feeling the inability to provide for the kid.

I chanced upon an article which enforced our decision to supplement with formula milk - https://fedisbest.org/2017/02/given-just-one-bottle-still-alive/

While we supplemented with formula milk, we’re just doubting our decisiHence, I’ve got a couple of questions for the community here, especially in view of the different hospital culture in Perth.

1. Are the hospitals in Singapore advocating for breastfeeding so staunchly like in Perth? I.e. multiple sessions to talk us out of it and even having to sign a consent form which essentially details all the cons of not breastfeeding.

2. Is it normal to not be able to express colostrum through hand express or pump?

3. Any possibility of inability to produce colostrum/milk?

4. Is it okay to supplement each breastfeeding with approx 20mil of formula?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I’m a newbie dad and we just had a baby boy in Perth few days ago. Like to seek the collective wisdom of this forum regarding breastfeeding.

My wife’s been breastfeeding the lil one almost 1-1.5hrs in between each feed. But the newborn started crying inconsolably after each feed on day 2 and was still showing hunger cues after feeding. The initial feeding took 30mins on day 1 and almost an hour on day 2. My wife is suspecting she is not producing sufficient colostrum and milk supply is not here yet. Lactation consultant tried to hand express colostrum to no avail and gave us a breast pump to use for 15mins after each feeding (which is taking a toll on my wife after the long feeding session

On day 2, Newborn started to cry more frequently and at most sleep for 30mins then start to fuss again. Noted his pee had reddish discharge and was informed that its urea crystals and the nurses said it’s normal. I googled and read that the baby could be dehydrated due to insufficient colostrum/milk intake. They also claimed that the increased feedings were due to cluster feeding.

I caved in and requested for formula milk of which the nurses started to get edgy and informed us that whatever we experienced is normal. Somehow, our paternal instincts told us that the baby is definitely very hungry from his inconsolable crying. The nurses got us to sign a consent form for the usage of formula milk.

After giving lil one 20ml of milk, he sleep soundly after and even passed poo. But we could gradually see that he is rejecting the breast a little more (perhaps no colostrum/milk flow as compared to bottle feeding). He started to fuss when latched on on day 3 night and I could visibly see the guilt and despair on my wife’s face for feeling the inability to provide for the kid.

I chanced upon an article which enforced our decision to supplement with formula milk - https://fedisbest.org/2017/02/given-just-one-bottle-still-alive/

While we supplemented with formula milk, we’re just doubting our decisiHence, I’ve got a couple of questions for the community here, especially in view of the different hospital culture in Perth.

1. Are the hospitals in Singapore advocating for breastfeeding so staunchly like in Perth? I.e. multiple sessions to talk us out of it and even having to sign a consent form which essentially details all the cons of not breastfeeding.

2. Is it normal to not be able to express colostrum through hand express or pump?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Aspiring Dad

I gave birth in kkh approx. three years ago and the nurses advocated breast milk strongly as well. They tried to talk us out of formula when we asked for it after the baby cried for close to one hour even after a nursing session. We just insisted and the gave in, no consent form required. Baby stopped crying and slept well after drinking the milk.

I wasn’t able to produce milk or colostrum in the first 5 days and baby was on formula mostly though I tried to nurse every 2 hours. From the 6th day onwards I managed to squeeze out a bit of colostrum and milk from 8th day onwards. Baby was on mixed BM and FM for the next two weeks. Thereafter my supply regulated and baby was on full BM until 2.5 years old. Stopped when I got pregnant again.

I believe that fed is best and everyone’s body is different. What’s important now is for your wife to relax and recuperate so that her body can start to produce milk. Hope everything turns out fine!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
To answer your questions:
1. I do not think the nurses and hospitals in Singapore are advocating breastfeeding so staunchly like in Perth? Probably actively promote but if the parents think that it is not possible, and we want to give formula, they are ok. I was unable to provide sufficiently for my twins right from the start. There were nights I was too tired and exhausted from the breastfeeding that I told the nurses to just feed formula and they understood my point of view. I was feeding one after another each for about 30-45 mins and each has a break of 2h which meant I only had an hour of rest in between.
2. I was only able to express a few drops of colostrum on d3 by pump and hand.
3. I never produced enough for my babies even until now. So I supplemented with formula all the way. They grow happy, well and healthy. I give whatever volume I have after trying my best!
4. Go ahead and supplement because happy mummy happy baby. If your wife is going to get so stressed over breastfeeding and have a hungry and angry baby, it will affect her mentally. Motherhood is tough enough. If money can solve the problem, why not? I always feed breastmilk before formula rather than mix in case they cannot finish then you will have to toss precious breastmilk if mixed.
Her supply will come and should come in by now :)

oh dear! There is not much help that I can provide from my end but I can sure tell you if you are looking for good baby formula, Enfamil Nutramigen is a good choice.

Back