Gestational Diabetes

Really? I thought that one is loaded with sugar.. Can ask for no sugar version?
i think u can try this making it on ur own, or u tell the stallholder no sugar pls. and i do know of some cafes that separate the syrup from the lemon tea. ur seasons iced lemon tea will not cut it

Do you have veggie other than basil chicken with plain rice?
Usually meal with plain rice, I will go with more veggie and meat.
I will just eat 7-8 spoonful of the rice and my post 2 hours reading will be within limits.
Since I can't eat a lot of carbo, so I need to load up on veggie and meat so I won't feel too hungry.

the killer could be sugar used to season the chicken. I used to think its ok to have sth like this with a bit of rice. bIt my readings will also be hIghhh

@isenggirl I use TRUEresult to measure my blood sugar level.

Really? I thought that one is loaded with sugar.. Can ask for no sugar version?

I drink the normal version of ice-lemon tea from coffee shop and 1 cup somemore. Drink it together with my meal at lunch and 2hrs post is 5 plus. Somehow, it does not spike my sugar level but if I drink too much coke will spike lor.

Is my meter too insensitive or what?

I guess its the tuna deep in mayonaise that caused the spike. I choose honey oat n mustard dressing.. No coke or add in whatsoever..

One time, Subway ran out of multi-grain and I order honey oat with the rest remain the same but my reading a bit out.
Think choice of bread and dressing also play a part.

My meter is freestyle, rented from clinic.. Do you gals know where to get good deal for lancets and strips? Is it gov hospital only?

It was just with spinach.. i didnt finish the rice too but for some reason its damn high.. Sigh. What glucose meter are u gals using?

I eat the basil minced chicken meat with rice, egg and veggie which is a set from NTUC foodcourt. Think the stall sell Thai food.
Just eat a 7-8 spoonfuls of rice and my reading is 5.4 wor.

When I just started to measure my blood sugar level and my reading is out, my Endocrinologist advise me that the potion of carbo is too much, that is why I always eat roughly about 7-8 spoonfuls of rice, fried beehoon etc. And reading will be within limits.

One time, Subway ran out of multi-grain and I order honey oat with the rest remain the same but my reading a bit out.
Think choice of bread and dressing also play a part.
Which sub did you order?
I feel that roast beef may be safe for us.
We are not supposed to eat ham during pregnancy, right? Cos its considered uncooked. So other subs like cold cut trio is not in my list...

I eat the basil minced chicken meat with rice, egg and veggie which is a set from NTUC foodcourt. Think the stall sell Thai food.
Just eat a 7-8 spoonfuls of rice and my reading is 5.4 wor.

When I just started to measure my blood sugar level and my reading is out, my Endocrinologist advise me that the potion of carbo is too much, that is why I always eat roughly about 7-8 spoonfuls of rice, fried beehoon etc. And reading will be within limits.
The booklet that gynae gave me said 12 tsp of rice for lunch or dinner! which I also feel too much. I normally took 7 or 8 too. But end up still feeling hungry and waiting desperately for the snack after that :(

Which sub did you order?
I feel that roast beef may be safe for us.
We are not supposed to eat ham during pregnancy, right? Cos its considered uncooked. So other subs like cold cut trio is not in my list...

Always order Roast Chicken Breast and without dressing.
I order Teriyaki Chicken before also cannot.
I didn't try roast beef so can't comment on it leh.
I eat 6 inch in one go without eating in 1/2 potion like what @nvidia suggest.

The booklet that gynae gave me said 12 tsp of rice for lunch or dinner! which I also feel too much. I normally took 7 or 8 too. But end up still feeling hungry and waiting desperately for the snack after that :(

Sometimes I will feel hungry too, that's why I will eat more veggie and meat.
If I eat mixed veggie rice, I will usually order 2 veggie and 1 meat. If I see the liao the stall holder gave is too little, I will ask for more. I eat liao first before eating carbo or else I will end up eat more carbo.

Can eat snack after 2hrs of your meal if you feel hungry like roasted peanuts or almonds or low fat fresh milk etc.

Can we have more indulgents post delivery ? o_O I cant wait..

Btw im drinking buckwheat tea.. Heard it ll lower diabetes risk by 21%..

Can we have more indulgents post delivery ? o_O I cant wait..

Btw im drinking buckwheat tea.. Heard it ll lower diabetes risk by 21%..
can lah just that tje more u indulge the harder it is for u to lose wt. I do indulge once in a while ;) just did my postpartum ogtt. hope that it I is ok !

My meter is freestyle, rented from clinic.. Do you gals know where to get good deal for lancets and strips? Is it gov hospital only?

Lancets is cheap. $25 for 200pcs. Strips for freestyle is expensive. I finished almost 100 strips wor.. i do everyday after food to know what food i can or cant eat. I think mine was discovered ard mid march..

with mild reading over shoot, do they consider as GDM?

Fyi, u are considered as GDM once you failed OGTT, this is regardless of your reading is keep in control all times or overshoot in the self tests subsequently, that was told by all the nusres during the class. All the diet plan and self monitoring of blood sugar level is just to make sure u are aware of the condition, keep in control and don't go overboard to indulgence on sweet stuff to worsen condition which may affect the baby to have the risk of being diabetic in future.

It's sad but we do all these for our lo... Just suffer a bit lor... :)

Fyi, u are considered as GDM once you failed OGTT, this is regardless of your reading is keep in control all times or overshoot in the self tests subsequently, that was told by all the nusres during the class. All the diet plan and self monitoring of blood sugar level is just to make sure u are aware of the condition, keep in control and don't go overboard to indulgence on sweet stuff to worsen condition which may affect the baby to have the risk of being diabetic in future.

Ya I agree with u. I think we all went through the initial stage of disappointment when we were diagnosed. But the thought that we want the best for our baby will keep us going and make little sacrifices. Hope all gdm mummies n ur babies will stay healthy. U r not alone ☺

If u control your diet well, hopefully your weight gain will be minimal. That is a benefit !! :)

I feel so weird with my optium freestyle.. today I ate YTF again for dinner with abit of noodle yet my reading was 8.3. My hubby ate the same dishes as me, pricm and his reading was 7.6. He is also diabetes??!! I think my glucosemeter is somehow abit wrong leh.. anyone knows how to calibrate the meter?

Ya I agree with u. I think we all went through the initial stage of disappointment when we were diagnosed. But the thought that we want the best for our baby will keep us going and make little sacrifices. Hope all gdm mummies n ur babies will stay healthy. U r not alone ☺

Me too go through a stage of denial when diagnosed with GD cos previous pregnancies didn't have.
39 this year, age really play a part. Metabolism not so good as you age and pregnancy is a stress to your body as told by my Endocrinologist.

My Endocrinologist gave me a letter to give to the ward nurses for admission.
I need to be checked for blood glucose level every 2 hours during the delivery process wor.
The level must be below 7.8 and if not must be dripped with 5% dextrose + 10 mmol potassium chlorine + 10 units novorapid.
Then check blood glucose level hourly.

Did any mummies get such letter? I was told if the blood sugar level not control properly during labor. bb come out will think that there is a lot of food so will produce a lot of insulin and bb will have low blood sugar. If I remember correctly what I had been told lah.

Are there GDM mummies here who have popped? How long did it take for your glucose tolerance levels to go back to normal?
I did my OGTT yesterday at almost 3 months postpartum. 2 hr reading is 8.0. I am not sure if it is due to my hormones still, or is it due to my PCOS. Hmmm

My Endocrinologist gave me a letter to give to the ward nurses for admission.
I need to be checked for blood glucose level every 2 hours during the delivery process wor.
The level must be below 7.8 and if not must be dripped with 5% dextrose + 10 mmol potassium chlorine + 10 units novorapid.
Then check blood glucose level hourly.

Did any mummies get such letter? I was told if the blood sugar level not control properly during labor. bb come out will think that there is a lot of food so will produce a lot of insulin and bb will have low blood sugar. If I remember correctly what I had been told lah.

For me gynae gave me the letter of admission and I passes to the nurse at delivery suite when I admitted to hospital. The nurses only check my blood glucose level every 6hrs which was also coincide with the timing of administering of antibiotics (I need that for GBS). During the whole labour process I was being pricked finger by them for 3 times, that's all.

Ya I was also being told about baby will have low blood sugar as baby produce too much insulin as it get used to in the womb if mother's blood sugar level not controlled properly.

Are there GDM mummies here who have popped? How long did it take for your glucose tolerance levels to go back to normal?
I did my OGTT yesterday at almost 3 months postpartum. 2 hr reading is 8.0. I am not sure if it is due to my hormones still, or is it due to my PCOS. Hmmm

How come you need to do OGTT again at 3 months postpartum? Thought u already passed at 6 week? Think hormones plays a part.

I was not required to do OGTT postpartum, only check fasting blood sugar level and doc gave me green light.

I did mine one month after birth. Standard draw blood test. Told it was normal.

Was your 3rd month test via pricking or drawing of blood? Drawing of blood to lab test is more accurate than pricking. Glucose meter can have an inaccuracy of up to 20%.

That being said, our blood glucose level might occasionally spike a little high, even for normal people. It's important to try to have a disciplined diet.

How come you need to do OGTT again at 3 months postpartum? Thought u already passed at 6 week? Think hormones plays a part.

I was not required to do OGTT postpartum, only check fasting blood sugar level and doc gave me green light.
didnt do it at 6 wks.

Was your 3rd month test via pricking or drawing of blood? Drawing of blood to lab test is more accurate than pricking. Glucose meter can have an inaccuracy of up to 20%.

That being said, our blood glucose level might occasionally spike a little high, even for normal people. It's important to try to have a disciplined diet.
blood was drawn from my wrist and arm :(

I feel so weird with my optium freestyle.. today I ate YTF again for dinner with abit of noodle yet my reading was 8.3. My hubby ate the same dishes as me, pricm and his reading was 7.6. He is also diabetes??!! I think my glucosemeter is somehow abit wrong leh.. anyone knows how to calibrate the meter?

I have ever played with the meter with my hubby for fun after we ate the same thing and his reading was something over 7.... I don't think the meter was entirely wrong, but meter is also subject to certain level of inaccuracy. It's just that the standard for pregnant woman is stricter. It doesn't mean that your hubby also diabetes. Usually is >11.1 random or fasting >7 is considered to be diabetes.

Agreed, diet is important to deal with diabetes. Its just given the fact everybody's own insulin can work up to a certain level of sugar intake, some can take more, some can tolerate less, and then the choices are either continue to enjoy sweeties but inject insulin, or better diet to control blood sugar if you are less tolerable to sugar.

@4gals, I just had basil chicken for lunch, but cut away half the rice and the fried egg.. Anyway I have not tested myself again after the 2 days testing, hopefully things are ok. Do you all buy your own set of glucose testing device for own use?

My weight does not increase much since I start the diet, but everyone says my bump is very big. Starting to get worried that baby maybe absorb more of the food I eat now :(

Last edited:
blood was drawn from my wrist and arm :(

Hey, don't feel sad.

On a lighter note, your results doesn't mean you have diabetes. It means that there is lower tolerance to diabetes. A diabetic is determined by a high blood fasting sugar or a 2hr reading of >11.6 mmol/L. The good thing is we now know that eating too sweet is not good for us, which is true for everyone.

Having GDM forced me to reduce my carbs and sugar intake, and it kicked out my sweet tooth and increased my veg intake ridiculously. My nutritionist recommended that every meal, we should have 1/3 carb, 1/3 veg and 1/3 protein. My sweetness level was "reset", and now I find most commercial food to be too sweet. But hey, I couldn't feel any more energetic than ever!

Many people go on in life without knowing that they have lower glucose tolerance and as a result go on to become a diabetic. Now we have a chance to be mindful. Jiayou tog! Cheers.

Hey, don't feel sad.

On a lighter note, your results doesn't mean you have diabetes. It means that there is lower tolerance to diabetes. A diabetic is determined by a high blood fasting sugar or a 2hr reading of >11.6 mmol/L. The good thing is we now know that eating too sweet is not good for us, which is true for everyone.

Having GDM forced me to reduce my carbs and sugar intake, and it kicked out my sweet tooth and increased my veg intake ridiculously. My nutritionist recommended that every meal, we should have 1/3 carb, 1/3 veg and 1/3 protein. My sweetness level was "reset", and now I find most commercial food to be too sweet. But hey, I couldn't feel any more energetic than ever!

Many people go on in life without knowing that they have lower glucose tolerance and as a result go on to become a diabetic. Now we have a chance to be mindful. Jiayou tog! Cheers.

Yep ! My hb told me that he has seen an 80 yr old ah pek who has IGT for a very long time,but he doesnt have diabetes. Diet - Home-cooked steamed fish , veggies and brown rice. And cos of my GDM i know how horrible hawker food can be, but when I go back to work, i doubt i have very much choice for lunch. Just need to watch it lor. But thanks to my gynae , he told me that some cold storage outlets have salads @ $5 , which is much cheaper than Sumo Salad etc . And...the happy thing is, I am able to get that $5 salad! :D :D

Hello, how r all GDM mummies doing? Hope u r doing fine and healthy. Am wondering if any of u r in ur third trimester now and losing weight or having stagnant weight. I seem to be losing weight lately, diet not much changed but sometimes do feel less hungry and sleepy than before so I skipped some in between meal snacks and took nap instead.

Hello, how r all GDM mummies doing? Hope u r doing fine and healthy. Am wondering if any of u r in ur third trimester now and losing weight or having stagnant weight. I seem to be losing weight lately, diet not much changed but sometimes do feel less hungry and sleepy than before so I skipped some in between meal snacks and took nap instead.

Me.. my weight has been stagnant for 2 mths.. probably gain 0.5kg these 2 mths.. but now I am getting hungry very easily. As opposite I eat quite alot this week..

Me.. my weight has been stagnant for 2 mths.. probably gain 0.5kg these 2 mths.. but now I am getting hungry very easily. As opposite I eat quite alot this week..
Today I did my reading was shocked I had 3.4 Pre lunch and 3.8 Pre dinner. Super strange. Don't feel that I am not eating enough but do get quite hungry at times. I think body preparing for delivery, hormones all gone crazy!

My weight also get stagnant ever since the GD diagnosis 5 weeks ago. So far I gain 8kg as compared to 14kg during my first pregnancy. At 32w baby is measured 1.6kg.. How about yours? Im worried if baby will be on the small side...

My weight also get stagnant ever since the GD diagnosis 5 weeks ago. So far I gain 8kg as compared to 14kg during my first pregnancy. At 32w baby is measured 1.6kg.. How about yours? Im worried if baby will be on the small side...
I gained around 10kg in total but lately has been dropping. I think mine at wk30 was 1.28 and was at 7th percentile. That was considered small by my gynae and I went home trying to eat more proteins. At w34, Bb weighed 2.3kg. I think there will be no more scan till I deliver. Don't worry too much, try to eat more avocados n proteins. I ate quite a bit of peanut butter too on multigrain bread too.

Today I did my reading was shocked I had 3.4 Pre lunch and 3.8 Pre dinner. Super strange. Don't feel that I am not eating enough but do get quite hungry at times. I think body preparing for delivery, hormones all gone crazy!

Wah.. thats abit too low.. continue monitoring pls.. I am on and off now coz forget or missed the 2 hrs window..

I even lost 1kg after gdm n stay stagnant since. Only gain 5kg during pregnancy so far. Wk 32 bb 1.8kg. Wk 34 baby 2.2kg. Now wk 35

Dear Mommies,

I'm 34 weeks now and yesterday baby measuring 2.4 kg. Doc said quite huge and scheduled me for OGTT tomorrow. Does my baby consider big at 2.4 kg? What's normal range for OGTT?

Back