BEDOK mommies club

Hi yawn2

Do u notice that a plot of land opposite Sheng Siong is also having some reno works? I wonder what is it for ...

And also some works are going on near the swimming pool side. I wonder when the pool and the stadium move out, will new flats be coming up
happy.gif

Hi how's everyone? School reopen so back to schedule. Are the kiddos in P1 adjusting to pri 1? I was observing the P1 registration status. As usual the 2 bedok sch Temasek and RSS are hot. This year Pv and grassroot will need to ballot but not sure if ballot for those within 1km or outside 1 km. My friend going for Tao nan through HKHK v gan chion now. This year seem > competitive compared to my time. Maybe bcos moe cut 2 classes from 10 to 8. Less supply same demand...

Hi,

Im new here. Anyone with kids at MMI montessori bedok reservoir and cherie hearts bedok reservoir?

Im sahm and thinking of gg back to work. How do u FTWM cope with kids, husband and work? Im so worried abt not managing properly.

Jess> if you r looking for job, your working hours must able to match childcare timing, before 7pm are you able to fetch your child go home? if your working hours ok, then u can go ahead...

Jess,
I think it depends on your working hours and work nature (whether stressful or not). I reach home ~7.30pm. My 2 older kids are in pri school and will be away from home most part of the days. They are quite independent so I just need someone to prepare lunch/dinner for them. #3 is 2 yo and goes to full day childcare till 4pm. I've a domestic helper who will fetch my #3 after childcare. After dinner, I will take over with the child minding.

thanks for the advise... maybe because i hv been hm with him most of the time, putting him in childcare is a big step for me and for him... i hv been feeling rather depressed because of this... but many mummies are handling it well so i guess everything should be fine...

actually i hv been doing insurace for the past 3 yrs but many ppl whom i hv met are not interested in planning for themselves or paying insurance premiums but yet they can afford a car... if ppl dun think for themselves why should i worry for them? but today i just heard frm a friend whom is also my client, has a tumour... ony in mid 30s... it makes me question myself again if i should persist in insurance line... its a really tough line if you sincerely wan to plan for ppl and not just selling savings/investment plans... i often lose sleep over it and a regular job seems to be easier to do...

sorry for all the grumbling but im really confused as to wat i should do... perhaps i should put my boy in childcare first before focusing on my work...

Jess,
Why don't try out CC first then decide later? My boy cried for 2 weeks. During that 2 weeks, we were v heartbroken and keep questioning if we should stop. But good that we persist cos he is happy, enjoys CC and playing w his friends. At home he tends to be the tyrant and demand everyone to give in to him... lol

Jun, thanks for your advise
happy.gif
i will go ahead with cc first, at least once he is settled down i hv 1 less thing to think of... i just hope it can be settled soon...

To make matter worse, my hubby just picked a fight with me... its so frustrating!!!! Tomor i have an interview and now i cant sleep...

Dear Mummies / MTB,

Anyone interested order home made Glutinous Rice Wine 糯米酒 for your confinement or for your cooking?

Please PM me for more details. thank you

Jess, i was a ftwm until i couldn't handle the stress at work. To make matters worst, bb was at IFC and was sick perpetually. Taking urgent leave n cc leave took a toil on my appraisal and how my colleagues viewed me. Eventually, i quitted my job and decided to work part-time instead. Its been 1yr plus since i stopped working full time and couldnt be happier. If you enjoy selling insurance why not continue with it but still put your child in cc. :)

I have placed my child at Cherie Hearts Bedok Reservoir. Today is his 4th day. Most of the teachers and principal are quite nice. I'm starting off with half day so he can slowly adapt.

Now he eats his lunch but still doesn't want to bathe there. As compared to the food he has at hm, it's so little and the ingredients is so little, it's mainly rice or noodle. After bringing him hm we still got to give him somemore food. I guess he will lose weight when we put him on full day. I dunno if he will get enough nutrition. I also realize he drinks very little water.

As for the curriculum I still prefer Maris kindergarten. It's a school so their books, worksheets and educational toys all seem to be better. I may put him at both places next year.

It's so heart breaking to put him at childcare. No matter wat the quality of care will not be like wat we provide at hm. Thank God he has a very caring teacher Wang there. I hope he can adapt soon. It's so frustrating when I want to provide the best for him but I can't and got to settle with childcare. Or am I a perfectionist that's makes me miserable???

Sorry for all the grumbling cos I dunno who else to share it with....

Morning Mommies

How's everyone?
Today is the eve of National Day, anyone on leave?
This morning is first time we send our daughter to school, she must be feeling happy as she is usually in the afternoon session except for today.

Hi Mommies

Any recommended English dictionary for Primary School children?
I had bought Chinese one but not too sure which one to buy for English

winniebear

Yes, very long weekend, shiok hor.
My hubby took leave on Monday & Wednesday just to idle a little. Brought kids to watch 'cowboy & aliens' today.

hi lee tai & everyone!

i m stressed up wif my P1 registration lor! gg to register for phase 2C supp tis friday...
sad.gif
i m down with SAC(1-2km) n bedok green(within 1km)as my second choice... n both left with not many vacancies
sad.gif
STRESS ah.... pai sey huh... long time neber come in.. come in n complain so much! haha... with only 28 vacancies at Bedok green n 39 at SAC... really dunnoe which has a higher chance to get in loh...haiz... any kind mummies has any gd advice?

<font color="0077aa">Hi carrie,

may i check, SAC is refering to Saint Anthony Canossian Pri right ? It's an all girls school right ?</font>

Carrie,
My year SAC no need ballot at 1-2km. Bedok green would be more convenient for u though as it is within walking distance from your house. You can call the school in afternoon to check with them your chance before registering. Good luck.

Yawn,
How's your gal in school? There r many unofficial holidays this year (elections) and tests (NSW, GEP, science pracitical etc). Hopefully the teacher can finish all the school syllabus if not I end up teaching her myself.

Leetai,
I have many dictionary at home, including bilingual Besta which is v good. Colliers dictionary for students is good. Not so thick, easier to check and suitable for primary school.

Iwg26

She's very busy since last month, got enrichment/tuition/cca everyday including weekends. Only Monday off. At home need to catch up on school homework, tuition homework and practise her instrument. Hardly any spare time to do extra coaching at home.

Decided to outsource everything after our bad experience in semester 1, cannot wait for teacher to cover syllabus so last minute before exam, she feels very insecured

Hi Gene,

Aiyah...this yr everywhere need to ballot loh! Even for Bedok Green, its 43 applicants for tat 28 vacancies (within 1km)..so thinking chance is only 65%. I went to SAC instead lor, cos after e morning session of registration, e chance seems higher ther.I purposely waited till afternn thn go register..to monitor e situation mah. Who knows after I registered, ther r more parents who came later thn me! Ended up the probability of getting a place in SAC is e same as bedok green! Faintzzzz....
Anyway...already registered, so wait for another round of balloting on Tues! Haiz.
Really never expect tis registration thing is tis stressful lor!
sad.gif

Haiz.

<font color="0077aa">Hi Carrie,

My girl will be in P1 in year 2013 but me very stress now cos' still have not decide which sch to place her in
sad.gif
I heard that SAC has after sch care izit ? I prefer school with after sch care where the care centre will bring them from sch to the care centre but SAC is all girls sch. Me prefer my girl to be in mix sch cos she is very shy when she's outside. so i do not know if placing her in a girls sch is a good choice.</font>

Purin,
RSS has their own after school care opposite the school. The staff will bring them to and from the school. But unless u stay within 1km and / or do PV, then there is chance of getting in.

Yawn,
I thought you were her "tutor" last time? She got tuition for all subj now? I oso outsource all for ds now. Dd has science and Chinese only. Other subj we diy together. Where is she going for English? Dd has been asking me to start her on English but we've no time to send her. Will have to find a centre similar to Mindstretcher to send them both. She also wanted to stop her piano but we want her to persist.

Iwg26

Where is your dd taking Science?
Where is your ds taking English?

I'm still tutoring her in Chinese, only outsource creative writing part. For Maths, dh is coaching &amp; she still goes RC tuition because dh is not very consistent in his coaching, must nag him.

She's attending Mindstretcher, heard some negative review but decided to go ahead anyway, because really don't know where else to send her. Attended for 1 month+ so still observing.

Any recommendation for better center?

hello mummies,
has anyone send the children to Holy Grace or Bethesda (Katong) Kindergarten? i'm looking to register my son for K1 next yr...and am seriously looking for reviews for either of these 2.... i've heard good reviews on Holy Grace but not sure about Bethesda...

Yawn,
PM you. So far, I heard good review only on Mindstretcher at HQ Bishan branch. My friendly highly recommended at Learning Lab. It's too far and out of budget for me. I will probably consider that when they are upper primary and in desperate need to improve results.. LOL.

Purin

Yah.RSS is Red swastika...as Jun as mentioned, they have aftersch care...I m not too sure abt SAC leh. Cos I dun need tat... so din check tat out...keke... wher u stayin? Must weigh ur chances lo when u register loh. N see wats ur main concern bah, distance,after sch care, etc....

Jun/yawn

Looks like u mummies gt many tuition lobangs.... gt to ask u ladies more next time...is ther any classes for creative writing for pri 1 Or usually only for upper pri? Any recommendations?

Purin
as for feedbacks on SAC, I can only let u noe next yr whn she goes to sch ther lor
happy.gif

me stay opp bedok point blk 20+ there...my main concern is to have someone to help her with homework after school else if continue to let my mum take care will be back to sq one - watch tv or sleep. moreover my mum getting old liao, so don't want to burden her also. so hope to find a desired sch with after sch care.

How many child do you have ? I only have 1 girl and she's rather shy, so i tot putting her in a mix sch is better. if you were in my shoe, will you do the same too ? </font>

Carrie,
Congrats, so your dd got into SAC. Yes there's creative writing from P1. I think no need so kanchiong. You monitor and see if she can cope before enrolling. Now P1 no more exam so can let her read more first. Unless u feel her English standard not good then enrol.

Jun
Yah..went balloting yesterday morning at SAC, almost gt heart attack, cos we are the no.16 to b called out of the 18 places! N 29 applicants for e 1-2km. Although nt my first choice, but at least its still.a 2nd choice, dun have to wait for MOE to send me to sme ulu sch...keke...
Her English standard I feel quite ok, but it comes to writing..I dunnoe hw to guide her..plus my own English standard nt so gd mah...so tinkin of creative writing class will b gd for her... she getting lazy to read leh...how do u motivate ur kids to read more?

Hi Purin
I dunnoe much abt student care leh, cos gt MIL n helper at home to help look after e kids... I have another boy @ 19mths...sorry, can't advise much on tat...have u try to find out is ther any student care ard tat area? Wat I
understand is if student care is not walking distance frm e pri sch, thn u ll have to arrange sch bus to send ur kid to n fro e student care rite? If u wan student care under e sch, looks like only RSS has leh...thn u ll have to check wif tt sch see wats ur home-sch distance, see still in time to register urself as PV or gt any affiliation anot...unless u wana take a low chance in phase 2C balloting (provided u r within 1km)...
Tink it ll take time for a kid to outgrown her shyness leh,so mixed or gals sch doesn't matter
happy.gif
or u gt register her in enrichments which encourage her to b more sociable,confident,outgoing,etc. One of which I can think of is speech &amp; drama class....
If u can find a gd student care ard ur area, n if u dun mind a more neighbourhood sch, tink nearest to u will b bedok green....

Carrie,
Go library regularly? We go library every week and i let them choose their own books. We always borrow many books back. I buy some of the classic ones which I feel can read and re-read like Roald Dahl. I used to read to them once or twice every day now I do it alternate day. I got difficulty encouraging my son to read as he doesn't like wordy books - basically lazy. Now I ask him to choose his own books in library and he became more interested. He likes comics like Doraemon and 西游记 so I will source for him. Now I'm encouraging my gal to read newspaper daily. I told her no need to read every article, just read headlines.

Hi Jun

Thanks for ur suggestions! Maybe can slowly ask my gal to read newspaper together wif me....
happy.gif
but I have to have the habit of reading myself first! Haha. I bring my kids to library... but nt every week... have u been to e new libraries at clementi mall or Nex. Their books r v new till I always feel like borrowing lots n lots...haha...

carrie

from p2, can subscribe 'red dot' through school. newspapers but easier version

SAC is at temporary premise? when moving back to Bedok north ave 4?
I recall a student care directly opposite SAC, if remember correctly student care is at blk 95

Carrie,
At k2, the topics in Straits times may not interest her cos mostly serious stuff. My gal started off with flipping newspaper this year and reading some news in Home page. She still doesn't do it consistently. But it's ok just let her build up the habit. I encouraged her to read more because she hasn't gone for English enrichment this year as we have no time to send her. She pestered me to join ds for English next year. It's a dillema. if I start her with tuition, she will be more bored down and less time to learn on her own
I haven't been to Nex or Clementi Mall. Will go there some day. Usually we go Marine parade library

Yawn,
I've to beg my ds to read Little red dot. He only interested in comics and books with big words. Sigh...

Hi mummies,

I am mother of 2. 20 months old gal and 3 months old old.

Next year, my daughter will be in N1. Currently searching for a school that gives 3/4 hours of lesson daily. Any recommendations?

Has anyone send their child to Ripples montessori? Couldn't find any review.

Shirley

These are popular choices - PCF at blk 135 (4 hours) or Bethesda along Bedok North Ave 3 (3 hours) or Soka at Tampines

Iwg26

My dd2 refused to read 'red dot' too. I think it's due to text type layout, not appealing to young children.

She likes young scientists though, comics easier to read

Thanks for your advise. I have not actually do research on whether there are any student care centre around that area but strange ley, i tot i read in SAC wedsite that there's after sch care services ? Maybe not inside the school ba...

My girl can mix well with her classmates when she's in her class. (she's attending PCF K1 now) but when she's outside, she tend to be quite. For example, she will refuse to address our neighbour auntie / uncle even when we ask her to do so...oh she's also attending ballet and Yamaha JMC on weekends..so hopefully these can encourage her to be more sociable
happy.gif
</font>

yawns/jun

oh...still got such thing to subscribe ah... will bear that in mind....
SAC is still at the temp premise, they will be shifting bk to the original premise hopefully by jan 2013
happy.gif
actually i dunnoe whers the exact location of the original premise yet leh! haha

purin
ohh... i din read tat up... mayb u wana call up e sch n confirm better? or could b the student care tat yawn yawn has mentioned at blk 95, which is v near SAC. thn at least u can do early planning on which sch to register ur gal....
if she can mix well wif her friends n classmates, i tink shld be okay lah... dun worry too much?!
happy.gif
i believe the enrichments shes attending will help her... cos they gt to sing &amp; dance in front of parents ah... will definately build up their self confidence also...

Shirley
u can also check out Bedok Lutheran Church (bedok south avenue 2), its a 3 hr class daily...
happy.gif

carrie

It's at bedok north ave 4. Only 1 bus there, number 17

purin

my kids won't address neighbhours either. I think partly my fault because I taught them not to speak to strangers. So now they classify everyone else outside family as strangers. Even if I ask them to greet neighbhours they won't

Purin,
Probably your gal is slow to warm up. I see my 3 kids qt different characters also. Dd1 super sociable. She likes to strike conversation w strangers and become long lost 'friends' in short while. Ds1 is quiet n shy, rarely speak to strangers. Ds2 is sociable like jiejie. I think they will change when they grow older so just encourage her to speak up would be good enough.

Student care:
You can choose further studentcare n ask the schoolbus to fetch

Back