AUTISM, ADHD, ADD, etc - SUPPORT GROUP!

Mummies
Something to share. My boy's EIPIC teacher told me that the golden time for kids to acquire speech is anytime from now till 4 years old, it can be anything from just saying a word. If by 4 years old, the kid still has no speech at all, it will be really difficult for the kid next time.

Hi all mummies who hv send their kids to EIPIC,wat do they do there since it's only like 2-3 hrs/day? what sort of teaching materials do they use there?was wondering since the waiting time for EIPIC is so long + they r only there for a few hrs.can we get the teaching materials n teach them at home ourselves also (in additional to sending them to EIPIC)?

RE: EIPIC,
My son is diagnosed with mild ASD in last Aug. I have enrolled him to EIPIC since this Mar. He has a great improvement over speech and interaction. They will assess your kid's weakness and give OT or therapies accordingly. He is now commented as 'talkative' in class.

Early intervention: i may said that it is something like 'enrichment course' for my son.

just2lazy
Is not so much of the materials, they do circle time, teach turn taking, interaction, speech and teach them independence and life skills.

Materials nothing special, just normal stuff like colouring, painting, beading, jigsaw puzzles and toys

it is great that more and more people are aware of autism and are more understanding. however, there is still plenty of room for improvement.

the VWO that i am working at, Students Care Service, is organising a mandarin Seminar on Autism Spectrum Disorder cum Photo Exhibition with this aim in mind. For all interested, please see below for more info. please also help to pass on this info to others whom you think will benefit from this seminar as mandarin seminars are rather rare locally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​~

Students Care Service (www.students.org.sg) presents a Mandarin public seminar on Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) cum Photo Exhibition ( 点亮心灵花园 ).

Hear from an Occupational Therapist, Educational Psychologist & a Vice Principal. Listen to parents share their stories and hear directly from a youth share on what it means to live with being on the Autism Spectrum.

The seminar aims to :
• Raise awareness and increase understanding about ASD
• Provide insight into the challenges faced by children and youth with ASD

A photo exhibition - “Spectrum through the Lens”, featuring works mainly by youths with ASD, will be held at the seminar venue to commemorate and celebrate their achievement and journey.

For a copy of the chinese flyer, please visit www.students.org.sg

Date: 2 June, 2012 (Sat.)
Time: 9.00 AM – 1.00 PM
Venue: The Pod (Level 16)
National Library Building, 100 Victoria Street, Singapore 188064

Please join us in our effort to promote understanding, inclusion and hope!

How's everyone?

My son's OT started music therapy on him today. So far so good, he doesn't have any negative side effects to the treatment.

On top of that, my boy also started his one to one tuition on a bimonthly basis. Haha, I know it sounds crazy to give a 3 year old boy tuition but given that they are different from non-ASD kids, I see no harm in starting them early and prep them for mainstream.

And guess what, I succumb to biomedical treatment for my son. He is seeing this nutritionist for biomedical treatment, basically take certain vitamins and later on he will be given neurofeedback treatment.

Looking at all the expenses, how I wish money can drop from the sky.

Oh, and my boy also started his chinese lessons in Berries. Thank god that he is able to cope so far and he can now recognize and read quite a number of chinese characters. Now he will even try to communicate with me in his 'ang mor' slang chinese.

Guess God make these kids ASD but bless them with amazing memories.

Praise Lord, Scrumpee. Glad that your son has shown improvement. how is the home tutor?
can you email me her contacts at [email protected]?
Went to 2 centers last Sat- Hand in Hand (only 3 classes) and KIDZ Pediatric OT.
Waiting for KIDZ to call me to confirm if there is slot for every Sat.
Will be going to Kaleidoscope and Ovspring this Sat; afterwhich I will decide on one of the Therapy Center.

Louise
Email sent.

The tutor is ok although I thought she would be younger, haha. She brought along a mini suitcase for the class, has all the necessary materials with her. After the lesson, she will leave some of her materials with me to let me practice with my boy.

Actually I feel her lesson has a bit of OT but OT to prep the kids academically like better grip of pencil and speed.

is the class ex?
Btw,i was wonder any one send kids for music class?i dunno suitable to send him to learn as he love music..but he got sensory issue as cant tk too loud voice,he will cover ear and scare!

Hi cloudz & newmummy08,

Found alot of useful info on this thread, and read through almost every of all mummy posting..
happy.gif

My concern & worries started last weeks when I went for my gal kindergarten PTC session with e teacher about my gal progress in school. Everything seems alright. But her Chinese teacher mention that during Chinese class she's sorts unable to sit still on e floor while teacher is teaching them. She say she just stands and hopping.. Faint... I doubt check if it's e same during her English teacher class, her English teacher told me she able to sit still but she keep touching her hair, her shirts etc.. Also attention and concentration spend are less...
sad.gif

After which had also spoken to e principle. Asking whether is she kind of fall under this ADHD. She say mostly unlikely ..

Was very confuse and worries as this my first child and first encounter with this problem. Just only yesterday brought my gal to to visit dynamics success centre and visited a psychologist from her view she say that my gal are active and slightly loud in volume... So referrals to seen a OT. Appt was made on next weeks..

My gal from young ever since she learnt to walk she is more on e active side, so from age 1-3 yo as starts I though it's ok for a toddlers to be this actives but really didn't expect her to behave like this during Chinese class. otherwise aparts from her actives she doing well in speech and motor skill etc..

Btw I am also confusing with ADHD & ASD.. Anyone know what are e different between it?

So sorry for e long posting.. ;p

Hi mummies,

My 2yo son has the following behaviours. Do you think he may have ADHD/ASD? I'm a bit concerned, but not sure if he's too young for me to know for sure.

1. Mood swings - can be happy then suddenly cranky, esp. if things don't go his way. Easily distracted. Then again, perhaps this is typical of a 2yo?

2. Super active - runs all over the place, doesn't listen when you ask him to stay still, throws things around.

3. Pushing/Hitting - pushes and hits his friends, when they're in his way or they don't want to give him what he wants. Sometimes even bites them on the arm!

4. Wants things to be done his way or by himself - eg. he may insist on opening a door that he can't reach and refuses to let you help him (which leads to his frustrations/tantrums). This morning I was carrying him and he dropped one shoe outside the childcare. I didn't wear back for him cos he's supposed to take them off to go inside. But he insisted on wearing that shoe first b4 he takes both off properly...

5. Good speech - He's quite good in talking though, unlike one of the ADHD symptoms which is delayed speech right? He talks in full sentences, picks up new words quickly, likes to sing, and can be very sociable.

From your experience, what do you think? Appreciate any comments. Thanks!
happy.gif

Dear mummies,
I need an advice from all of u. I suspect my son has autism, as we notice he has minimum eye contact, speech delay not even know how to call mum mum but speak in his baby language. Currently my boy is 27 month. We called up the polyclinic to ask for assessment but got rejected as the minium age is 3 yrs old. May i know u have any reliable centre for assessment?
As I understand early intervention is important .
Thank you.

Hi

Any mommies send their kids to social skills group at Weecare or socialbil program at Autism network recovery centre?

I am deciding to go for which one.

Tks

Tulip Hearts
Your boy sounds perfectly fine to me, I think is just the terrible 2 stage.

Deep Dreamer
I am surprised polyclinic rejects u. How did you ask the polyclinic? U don't need to call and ask for assessment. Just go queue at the polyclinic, get a number to see a doc. When u see the doc, let your doc know your concern and says you want them to refer your boy to KKH or NUH's Child development unit. I had my boy sent to KKH's CHild development unit before he was 3.

The KKH or NUH's Child development unit will decide whether your child will go for full assessment, not the polyclinic. Polyclinic does not have the expertise to do assessment.

Also, since your child is already 27 mths old, ask the Polyclinic to give u the earliest date possible. Because after seeing the Doc at Child development unit and if they refer your boy to CEL for early intervention placement, that will take another few mths.

In the meantime, you can help your boy by sending him to Speech or Occupational Therapy first. The therapies there will assess your boy before starting the therapy.

Fabisee
My boy attends Weecare's social group. The session is quite fun.

Tks Scrumpee for your reply. I am more keen to let him join Weecare as the price is more reasonable compared to Autism partnership.

Hi Tulip hearts
I only can give my comments on ASD, not too sure about ADHD. So you may want to read more on ADHD if you are concern.

For ADHD, I think they have no speech problem.

hello mummies, if anyone of you have sent your kids to OT, can you recommend me one that you think is reasonably good? the current one my son attends at Olive Tree is so-so and after a month, progress is not favourable.

Hi mothers
Not sure if the seminar will be good, but I had just signed up " Building & Strengthening Language Skills: A Verbal Behavior Approach for Children with Autism"

by Dr. Joseph E. Morrow, Ph.D., BCBA and Mr. Rick Gutierrez, M.S., BCBA
27 August 2012, 9:00am to 5:00pm
National University of Singapore CIT Auditorium, Computer Center Building Level 2, 2 Engineering Drive 4, Singapore 117584

The seminar fee due is $50.00.

Interested parties, need to register with
ABC Center Singapore
Tel: +65 9423 6248
Email: [email protected]

Hi Eunice, the effectiveness of OT depends on frequency per week as well as at home too.
My boy progess very slow too; I just engaged home therapist every SAt, who will instruct him to do things (eg. sorting)
I try my best to practise on him every night - 30mins also ask my care giver to do with him one/two times during the day.

Dear Mummies,
MY 22month old son has some suspected symtomps and want to get him tested for Autism.
I dont want to go through the long queue or referral process. do you have any good recommendation where to go for assessment? Appreciate your advice.

Mummies, just to share some hope
I happen to meet my ex-colleague yesterday who also has an ASD child. The child is now in mainstream P2, coping pretty well. And his scores for various subjects are all above 80 and he can also play piano. Impressive right? The boy seems pretty normal now, can joke and have friends. But I must say she did a lot to help her boy when he was younger.

Louise
Your boy managed to get into any EIPIC centre already? My boy's EIPIC class has a change of teachers, the good teacher has been transferred to the Jurong branch and I have no confident with the new ones who are taking over. So am likely to go check out Rainbow at Margaret Drive next month and if that side seems better, I will change EIPIC centre.

EIPIC

Mommies, do you feel EIPIC really helpful for your kids?

Recently, I went for interview at EIPIC located at HDB void deck. The social worker and psychologist look so young. The social worker interviewed me a lot of things. Even give me hint that she want to know how is our family? i.e. strong marriage, broken family, etc. I also share with her what we are doing with our kid. In the end, the social worker also give me feedback what should I improve on how to treat my son and what is my good point. I don't feel this is necessary, as we already know as parents we are the best and we should spend more time with him. But there is really limitation as working parents.

When I visit the classroom. The class looks so small, cold and messy. I imagine 3 teachers with 9 kids in that room. The germs will be quite easily spread to each other.

Also, my kid is severely delayed on speech, only can mumble mono syllabes. Normally, the speech therapy will not come every week, rite? If ST comes, the ST will run the session as a group not individual. How can my kid improve on his speech if the ST only meet him once a week as a group?

Star
That's why you still need to supplement your kid with private ST. Don't depend on EIPIC's ST. For my boy's EIPIC, I hardly see the ST and even when there is one, they work on other kids who are non verbal and only like 15mins. How to improve with such short duration?

Which EIPIC centre did you go to? at void deck?

Star, I went to CCK EIPIC too. You are right. The social worker and psychologists are all very young! But based on proximity, it's more convenient to send them somewhere near our place as my son has to shuttle between current child are and EIPIC centre.

Star
I see. Then EIPIC is more for learning social skills, take turns, self help skills. I don't see that is useful for speech therapy.

Maybe u just try out first, if you think not helpful, then pull him out.

Star, i have not sent him to EIPIC yet, only went for interview. now need to decide which center to send him to. during interview, i agree that the social worker and psychologists were very young. i have requested to see the actual classes being conducted during the timing that we are planning to enrol so we can also see the actual teachers who will teach my son. hopefully that will give me better insights.

Which EIPIC have you decided to enrol your child in?

I only visited CCK EIPIC. I will enrol in this centre, if no improvement then I will pull him out. Other EIPIC is too far from my place.

Hi Srumpee,

Is your ex-colleague's kid diagnosed as ASD by doctor?
If a child can do reasonably well (in mainstream school), can joke and make friends then how can this child be diagnosed as ASD? Did the doc make mistake?

Just curious and can share more on what your ex-colleague did to help the child?

Thanks.

Tigger
yes, he was diagnosed by KKH doctor and went for full assessment when he was around 3. If I am not wrong, the main issue with him at that time was lack of joint attention and speech delay. She also doubted the assessment initially but I think she has accepted and her boy does have some quirky behaviour now and then.

She did a lot for him when he was younger. 4X a week at EIPIC, OT, ST, social therapy, send him for music lessons, private tuition when he was in k1 etc. Did partial GFCF diet on his boy and biomedical treatement.

Hi Srumpee,

Thanks for sharing.
Your ex colleague really did a lot for the child. She must be very happy to have today's result.

Hi mums
happy.gif
I'm new to the thread, my son was diagnosed with ASD late last year, and is currently undergoing therapy. I'm glad there is a place for us to share and support each other here. Looking forward to learning from all of you who have been on this journey
happy.gif

Hi mums,

I have a question for those of you with special needs kids as well as typical kids. My child with ASD is 4 and my other kid is 2. I use the afternoons to do therapy with my older one at home, and its completely impossible to do this when both kids are home at the same time. Any other mums facing this challenge? Have you found any solutions that work?

Hi Caramel

I find it really very challenging too to guide both at the same time with one whom I was trying to focus on (my SN boy) while the other (neurotypical one) wants my full attention.

I'm not too sure what kind of therapy you were trying to do with your child but these are some of the practices/ examples we do at home if it's:

- table-top activities, we try to get the younger one to do a set of task too with the elder one (such as elder one can be doing his homework/ writing practices, the younger one can do some colourings)
- play in group such as ball games, balancing with turn takings, etc.

If not, can get your husband to keep the younger one occupied while you focus on the elder one & vice versus?

When I attended the PECS session, the pyschologist even recommended that I could introduce it to the younger one in which could train his independency on having me around all the time when he's doing some activities
happy.gif

Also, if you child knows how to read perhaps can get him/her to read to the younger one too to beef up the reading skill & create some siblings' bonding.

dear mummies,I'm new to this thread.i hv a 27 mths old boy who can't talk yet and we sent him to kkh via polyclinic when he was 24 mths.went to OT appt n therapist mentioned his fine motor skills are under develop and attention span is short too.so will be starting his OT once a week in August at sengkang.just went for a caregiver workshop n speech therapy will only begin in September.i hv been sending him to gymboree classes n that helps him alot,now he is nt that afraid of crowds but when he is is stressed up he will put all his fingers in his mouth n will wanna throw up.i wonder how will the weekly Ot or ST session help him ?do I need private sessions as well?

For your information mummies,I just wanna affirm all of you.you are all doing a great job in helping ur little ones.i hv seen my friend who took three yrs no pay leave to look after her daughter and the child improved alot after gg to Eipic as well.i teach in a primary school and come across children with special needs and learning difficulty.with intervention and assistance from school counsellor,teachers and home.these children can function well in main stream.our society n school are now more concern n aware of the situation.we do try our best to help these kids n ensure they are not ostracize.

Hi caramel, I agree it's very hard to do therapy on your own with your other kids around. I have an elder daughter and a younger son. The one who is ending therapy is my middle child. What I then do, is bring him to a room and lock the door. You need that private time with no distractions to make it effective. Of course this is under the circumstance of having helper or hubby to help look after the siblings while therapy happens.

Blessed, weekly therapy sessions alone is never enough. That's why as caregivers, we need to put in time to follow through those therapy on our own at home. If I never remember wrongly, behavioural therapy alone requires about 20hrs a week so as parents, we definitely need to put in our own effort. Very trying but we must persist. When you see improvement and progress, it will be great moments to celebrate. I highly recommend GFCF diet plus biomedical treatment. It helps jump start the progress. I feel it "opens the door" to the brain of my son so that learning becomes less difficult.

Back