AUTISM, ADHD, ADD, etc - SUPPORT GROUP!

Hi all Mummies out there wondering if your darlings have Autism!

I chanced upon this website
http://www.firstsigns.org/
It contains a video glossary which shows clips of regular babies/ toddlers and those with ASD categorised in different milestones.

Was going a little bonkers trying to spot ASD traits in my 13 month old based on literature available and what I can remember of her 6 YO bro with Autism, and I found the videos on this site the clearest in helping me see the difference.

Thanks Yvonne, reading your postings make me feel clearer in mind. I wrote about my emotional turbulence in another forum and upon chancing this thread, felt calmer and in a way relieve to see mummies in same shoes sharing tips. I have yet to gone for a formal assessment. Hubby is keen and while I'm all for it, I would like to try my very best to start doing something NOW rather than after assessment. My boy is 23 mths old.

Hi mummies, My boy 10 yrs old now having ADD (attention deficit) since last yr. Till now I am not convined of e result at CGC cos only 1 test being done. During a consultation, doc asked me abt my boy on his behavior in school etc. After telling him e issue, extra dosage given. Jus dun understand, if I dun raise issue does tat means tat e dosage won't increase? I am a working mum, my source of info also comes from school. Aren't there more than 1 test to do b4 determine tat e kid is down w ADD? His grandma also disagree giving him Ritalin. saying tat olden days where got such things ADD. Childrens not concentrating, playful, not attentive is common last time. Which is true? I dun like giving him this medicine in long term basis cos I feels that he is still a child. long term consumption of this medicine can do wat harm to him, I dun know and no one knows too. Who can give more advice in this? Should I go for 2nd opinion?

Hi mummies and daddies,

Anyone has child with autism, and is attending mainstream school? Or at Pathlight school?

Thanks!
happy.gif

Hi everyone , I am new in this thread.
Yesterday, brought my 2 1/2 year old boy for EPIC's screening for Autism at "Society for the Physically Disabled" at Tiong Bahru. They set up new EPIC center there; Although there is vacancy for my boy and we are staying nearby, the center makes us very uneasy.
Feeling quite depressing after the screening due to the environment.
Anybody knows of mainstream school which has low ratio of teacher/children?
My boy attended Learning Vision at Bukit Merah last year, he was left unattended many times, so I had to withdraw him out.

Louisa
My boy is with Society physically disabled's EIPIC programme since Nov last year. He enjoyed it and learned alot from there.

What makes u feel uneasy about the centre?

Hi Srumpee
On our way to the 4th storey, we saw the disabled ones, some are so young, cant help it but feeling depressed.
How old is your boy?

But the disabled ones are from their other programme, their core business, and they are not part of EIPIC, so far the kids attending EIPIC are all abled.

And the teachers are very patient, my boy really learn alot from them, so u don't have to worry.

If u are not considering SPD, then which other centre are u considering? Do note the long wait list of EIPIC centres. I am so glad that my boy don't have to wait if not time will be wasted and he won't progress to what he is today.

Furthermore, is near your house, saves u a lot of time traveling to and fro. I am not trying to sell SPD but just stating some facts that I considered when I was deciding on a EIPIC centre for my boy.

My boy just turned 3, he joined EIPIC when he was 32mths old.

You are right; other than rainbow(queenstown) and SPD, I dont have any in mind.
thanks for the reminder; The location and the teacher and chile ratio is perfect.

louise...same same..i feel so depressed steping into AWWA unlessw e have the money then send to private therapy..did u sighed up with the pilot programme that u get 300 subsidies if u go private tehrapy while waiting for a space in the vwo centrwe..may be u can email me at [email protected]

Im kind of need help...my son under waiting list of rainbow and i dunno need to wait for how long..
any one of u know abt kids4kids?Is that good?
will go for accessment next week..but only tk 45mins to determine...so fast can know the level of his autims?my boy now 3yo...
i seldom chk in this thread...if u all hv any info to share, don mind PM me ok?thx alot...
im vy worry my son condition now...
sad.gif

i m in leapfrog..ok not bad but exp..the wait list should be long.. i waited since last nov n still on wait list but accepted

they usually dun diagnoise ( cos not pyschologist) but i feel they will say need so many sessions of st and ot etc but u wonder if they are out to make money cos it is exp..135 per seesion for mine...so they say need 4 sessions..2 special eduication n 2 st a week.. imagine what a bomb in a month!!!! but if can afford good to go pte cos short queue n more frequency comapreed to kkh or sgh

good try- Yes, I signed up for the pilot programme; i went to Dynamics at Forum- location is not convenient if I need to involve my parents. Cant afford to be SAHM;

newmummy- the wait estimated to be 9-12mths for rainbow; understand your worry; you will have to engage him with OT and ST until he got into rainbow.

Big problem with cel

....told me must not be therapy but daily epic prog but leapfrog only start epic this year n now say reject my case

Cel siti resign m now sekina yook over n say must ne rpic bit no one tell me individual session cant...u go sgh y not nuh or kkh

Awwa expect caregiver must go imsgine what I will have to face..i feel fir them so much n I met mum in privste thetapy told me dun want son to regress so no special schoolp one mum even tell me later moe got record will affect son future employment do she sprnf 4k a month just on ptivste therspy

Hi good try and Louise!Thx for the info and sharing~!
So gd try, i thk leapfrog is vy ex same as dynamic as well..y not go kids4kids?I don know they provide day care?heard they hv but until4pm only,don knw the chargers like too!coz i don knw wer shall i send my son to after the 2 hr OT or ST if obnly 2hr session per day!
The concern is he like to push his fren in class,so the principal worry gt parent will complaint!so gv me time to monitor my son...im so stress everyday scare he hurt other kid!!
what surpose i need do!!??

Hi Butterfly Kisses,

My son is ASD and he is currently attending Pathlight School. You can pm me if you need more clarifications

Good try: yes, I had signed up the pilot program and visited Dynamics at Orchard; location is tough if I need my parents to help up;
is your email address correct as I received undelivered message?
Newmummy- understand your worry; we just have to proceed whatever paths we have; start with OT and ST on regular basis

Mummies, I hv been through this and base on experience, I feel my boy benefits most from EIPIC.

1. Private therapy
Yes no need to wait but very expensive. About $130 per session. Unless u are rich, u can at most give one hr of OT and one hr of ST a week. And one session only one hour. The help is minimal but agree that is better than nothing.

2. Epic
This is at least 2 days a week, at least 2 hrs per session. And they will attend the session with other kids. This is when they learn to wait and take turns. Very impt social skill.

So my advice is apply for Eipic and go for private therapy while waiting. For now, my son only has private OT on alternate week and weekly social therapy at weecare.

Awwa is daily n so costly ..leapfrog so strict must bw weekly sesaion cant be alternate..can tell me where is yours?howmuch n where thanks

Scrumpee, with the EIPIC (twice a week), I am thinking of finding childcare around bukit merah area with lower ratio.
how is the teacher/child ratio?
Good try, i sent email to you already.
SGD: OT is Hui Fang and ST is WeiQin
I did see improvement in my boy, not sure is becuase of the Therapy or "growing up"

Same here I dunno does the therapy helps or is it groeing out of it.. In leapfrog cant sit in si dunno what they do mine is huai zhi in sgh..my mil think I crazy kp saying son ok y waste money..i eas referred by dr daisy Chan

Louise,gd try,
ya..for noew shall go for private first while waiting from rainbow..it seems long wait till don knw when!!in fact also not sure rainbow will cheaper than private for how much?
Ya!Private is so ex and im not rich!i cant affort to!as u all mentioned will it benefit seems the frequent to go there mayb only once a week?
I will chk with kids4kids,seems it less cost then leapfrog and others..but dunno hw gd and effective!?

Newmum how much is kid fot ,kid..i choose distancecos I no car but I thinks most impt os theyimprove. Is thst your only child?i hear from my church friend she continued private even when son in rainbow

louise.. how many sessions is your epic at dynamices b ut leapfrog just told me theirs ifor 3 years n above and it is $2900 for 10 weeks...sooo exp..how old is your child

Hi morning ladies
Dynamics - they are flexible, you can choose daily or twice/thrice per week.
The cost is def. cheaper than leapfrog.

Most probably will just try out at SPD at Tiong Bahru and at the same time, maybe going to nearby kindergarten, at least better than staying at home.
goodtry: i prefer OT / ST at SGH rather than KK -is much nearer to my home at Redhill.

Goodtry,i hv not go to kids4kids ask yet,but thk is the most cheapest among all private?
My son now 3yo.he show more and more sysmtom of ASD!im worry!
Louise,heard new jlk bkt merah got a child care name moral somethg...near tiong baru mrt only, they do accept kid with ASD too..
So Dynamics is how much per session?

there are good days n child will look normal n some days i was like oh no...why why me? initally he went cc n they shower he was screaming so badly that they dare not touch him just wipe him n the worst i come home every shower is a battle...finally it is much better..we bring in music n our phone to watch n bathe...

when i saw dr in nov last yr..my world crushed..dr say your child need to learn how to queue for world cup tix..i was like huh i want him to work n support himself...not q for world cup tix...

but lately i see the dr n dr say well u n ever know your child might be gifted n he can work as accountant or enginner measure the road from singapore to johor? i was like huh..but why gifted need to go special school...???
i even dare ask dr can they work as dr tooo..

but i think dr trying to cheer us up..but i think as parents we are kids's cheerleader so we will see hope n potential in them no matter how difficult it might be.. with therapy n also growing up prayerfully kid will be better n most impt take care of themselves when we passed on..

Louise, my boy's cc ratio is about one teacher to 7 kids, quite standard. He is N1 now, but the playgroup ratio is good, 2 teachers to 6 kids now.

Good try, new mummy and Louise, may I know if your child is verbal?

Goodtry,my son encounter the same as urs!initially he was ok to tk bath,but i dunno y recently he doesnt like and screaming and shouted too!teachers hv to use same method as urs to bring phone and biscuits to bath!at home,ask him go shower,will tk 1hour to drag and just refuse step in bathroom!also try to use same method show him bubble,or food he like...so torture!and most of the time my husband will loss temper and just force him and drag him go into tk bath!but i thk is a bad idea as it may caused him more fear to go take bath in cc!but my husband just cant control himself....haiz...
which dr u visited?Mine is at KKH,Dr. Vasha...was thk to change to chinces dr...but don thk can change?
Srumpee,my child now not really can convey in full complete sentence,but he really improve alot already after go cc...i dunno is that an improvement or mayb he grow up already...he will go for ST next two week in HPB...erally a long Q!
If can affort i wish can send him more frequent but private really ex!one session $100++!!!!
So do u all send ur kid to OT or ST at private?which one?
My son under waitng list at rainbow...so long wait....
sad.gif

BTW,are urs kids will push their classmate while in cc?would they cooperative when story telling session?any weird behave they hv?

Newmummy, good that your boy is verbal. That is impt at least he can tell u what he want.

Actually my boy is doing fine in his cc, teacher dun find any prob with him except for his visual stim. In fact, teacher thinks he learns fast, good memory and talkative. He is attentive during story telling, spelling and music time, just dun like colouring. He is also not speaking in full sentence, still at 2 to 3 words sentence stage. But to me, this is better than non verbal, I was really worried when he still couldn't speak a word at 2. He only has his first word at 25mths.

Mine dr daisy chan at kkh .mine talk recently but still need help but it is his interest in alphabet n no. N need to see same books.but I prayinghe will ougro sw. I read testimony about healing from autism through prayers. This is what kept me going

Tantrum n meltdown..i dun even know cos the alarm is he cried quite abit n can be hr if he dun get his way like raining want to go out orwe hide fav book.we dun want to give in to routine n we tried to explore sensory stuff like dough n paint

What strength do u see in your child? So far they told me some are very smart but their only problem ia dun like friends

Srumpee,sometime i still don get what he want...
is good they he doing good in cc,but mine is brg problem to the teacher tats y the principal even gv one mth monitor oeriod he how he doing in cc...in cc he will suddenly run to the wondow ans shouted wan go out or want papa/mama...and once teacher on the misic then he will only colldown and go to one corner to dance ans sing there..he seldom mix with his fren in classmates in fact he always puch certain kids down on floor,last fri he just kena bite back by the kids on his hand coz he pushed him!omg!
im so worry i cant get him stay in the cc anymore coz i dunno knw wer shall i send him too??im lose,sad and worry...y my son will act this way?
Goodtry,oh ya, i was wonder how gluten free dieat do help them...my son also hbv constipation issue..tats make him more irritate and throw tantrum!

My cc kp changing teachers n from Dec to Mar he caught the bug n hardly in sch. He is always near the sch door n wait for us.i m changing cc n starting may

Hello,

My 3 year 8 months only can speak 1 word only. He only can speak about 10 words. He is still not able to join 2 words. He is unable to imitate sound too. I sound this and he sound a totally different sound. He can call papa at 10 months and mama at 11 months. Crawl at 9 and walking at 14 months. Before he turned 2 yo, his development is fine. He did not impove any new word from 2 yo to- date. I brought her to speech therapist. ST diagnosed him as dyspraxia. I want to bring him to do ST but the weekend slot is always full. What should I do so that he can speak in sentence? Anyone tried Dynamics ST? Are they effective?

Goodtry,ur son is quite and alone in one corner,my son is too active and run around all the corner!cant stay on one activities for long!The most worried thg is he like push ppl!
sad.gif

Hope he will chane soon!
Star,mayb u can let him mix more frens in cc then frm social activities make him speak more?
I will plan to kids4kids...amy one join b4?

Back