Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Hi msmummy,

Managed to reserve a DVD of Chicka Chicka from the library
happy.gif

hi mumusings

yes i hate roaches. managed to dissect one fat one cos i was doing Biology. heeheehee had my revenge.

my gals love chicka chicka boom boom too! i also love the song so catchy. bought a set of dvds from scholastic n was lucky this dvd is included.

Hi Helen,

Where did you get the dvds from? Singapore or overseas? Please let me know where I can find them (if available here).

hi mumusings
i bought over from a mummy here at SMH forum she was clearing out her children's things and i grabbed. u may want to try popular bookshop. i saw some scholastic dvds but cannot remember if they brought in chicka chicka boom boom

mumusings
yes somehow they got used to mummy going off to work. took my younger one quite a while. glad they r ok now. initially was heart wrenching sob...sob..

waiting to quit next year end heeheehee

hi hi mommies.

Remembered reading here someone tried the West Point Hospital TCM/Tui na if memory did not failed me.
Can share which doctor you're seeing?

Or is anyone using Eu Yan Seng @ Camden?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mumusings,
Not sure, trying to find out more.
For adults, the charges normally range about 90~120 for consulation plus one week medicine.

Will let you know if I can get the info ...

hi mumusings

why do u need tui na? did u hurt yourback or something like that? i have seeing a chiroprator to fix my back problem. each treatment is $85 not cheap but it does help in easing my backache

Hi mommies,
I have been very busy renting out rooms in my mother's flat and clearing my old things. Almost everyone who viewed the rooms wanted to rent it, I can be a property agent hahaha

I cannot throw away things without letting my hubby know because he has very good memory of what he owns :p

Anyone has experience renting out rooms ? How to charge if your tenant wants air con ?

Helen,
One working mommy I knew said that when she told her son that she would quit her job and stay at home to look after him, her son told her to keep her job. The reason was that mommy would make her son do many assessment books everyday if she stayed home :p

When kids grow older, they may be happier not to have mommy around all day.

Hi Tam,

You can give tenant 2 choices:
(1) add $100 per month if he wants aircon
(2) split cost 50% 50%
(3) he pays for own aircon or gets an air cooler

Must be firm or else they will come up with a request every other month (which happened to my parents).

Hi Tam,

Sorry forgot to add. You mustn't let the tenant know that you will easily give in to requests. Local tenant or foreigner?

My parents' tenants drove several nails into the wall, ruined the kitchen cabinet, jammed door locks and water seepage. What did they do? They didn't pay the last few months' rental 'cos they said there's a 3 month deposit anyway. As for the damages, they got someone to repaint the walls but claimed the cabinets were already spoilt (very funny, they moved in after apartment TOP).

Was a nightmare. One night they called me to ask us to go down at 11pm 'cos door lock was jammed and the missus was locked in the master room. I simply told them: "Please go to the yellow pages to look for a locksmith, my parents don't work as one and cannot help rescue your wife!"

They claim to be very rich etc but very irresponsible and dishonest when it came to taking care of the place and following terms of the tenancy agreement.

My mom made the mistake of being obliging 'cos she thought better to have a tenant to stay for long than not being able to find one. They bargained the price down + made us change curtains and add grills! Too soft-hearted.

Hi mummies,

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Last week was hectic for me. My 3 kids took turns having viral fever, up to 39.5degC and all went limp and lifeless which I think is the last thing mummy wants to see.
I used to feel very frustrated when they were all naughty and fighting all the time but when they are all weak, I realize I much prefer them when they were fighting.
Guess sometimes God gives us a little shake and teaches us to count our blessings.

Now, at least all 3 on road to recovery. 

Mummies, need some opinions regarding maids. My current maid expressed home-sickness and wished to go back home. Her contract was supposed to end in Novemeber. She is ok but lately I found she seems distracted and sometimes sniffles to herself at night. I rather not keep her here against her will and frankly, she is not that fantastic either. Just that, she is quite ‘guai’ and obedient.
Currently shortlisted 2 maids (both EX-SIN), and on phone, both sounds ok. Both wants to have 1 day / month which we are ok to give. 1 is older, aged 41 and the older, aged 30.
I prefer the older one on phone cause she sounded more responsible etc but wondering if she is too old? Should I go for younger one who is not married, and with day off, more susceptible to ‘naughty’ behavior??

Hi Gerbera,

39.5deg is very high fever! Hope they'll recover soon. I understand how you feel. Hb and I get very angry with the kid but when he had high fever once and was very weak, we felt so helpless and wished he was his usual self
sad.gif

mumusings,
Thank you very much for your advise. I have already been taken advantage of by the tenants who are Filipinos. There are a brother and a sister staying in one room. At first I only gave them one set of keys. On Monday morning the brother sms me to tell me that he left the main door keys under the flower pot outside the flat for his sister who works night shift. Faint.... I had to duplicate another set of keys for him, cost me $18 because one of the key is a special type.

I will remember your advise and I am never going to give in to their demands again.

For the PUB, I decided to show them the bill and let them pay the amount on the bill after deducting $100. I found out that they turn on air con day and night, the bill can be quite high. They are not happy with it, but I am going to insist.

mumusings,
My mother is also like your mother, she wants a tenant who can stay for very long. She does not speak English so I am the one who does the communication. The Filipino sister who works night shift complained to me that she could not sleep in the day because it was too bright since my curtains are thin. I told her please feel free to change the curtains herself.

pink gerbera,
Hope that your children have fully recovered by now.
When kids get sick, it is most tiring for mommy. Take care.

My maid is 43 years old this year, she is very hardworking, but she is not very fast. She is very mature, humble and respectful. She follows my instructions very seriously, I never have to say the same thing twice. I guess this is because I was very strict with her from the beginning. I showed her my world famous house rules (reported by CNN) the day she started work. She had no problems following all my house rules.

However, not all older maids are like that. Some may tell you that she ate salt more than you ate rice, and do things their own way. The important thing is that you must know how to manage her, make sure she knows who has authority and don't let her climb over your head.

Personally I would rather employ an older and slower maid, compared to a younger one. Young maids nowadays cannot live without their handphones, they will try to use whenever you are not looking. They think it is perfectly alright to work and chat on their phones at the same time, and then turn out substandard work. I am fed up with them already.

pink gerbera,
My heart goes out to you, I know how it feels to see the kids all lifeless and sick. Don't worry, they will be ok soon. You need to take care of yourself as well coz you don't want to come down with it and not be able to look after them. Pop more Vit C.

Maid: I too like tamarind have a older maid. She's about 43. Right from the start have been very strict with her and showed her the rules of the house. Not shy to scold her despite her being older as I'm still her employer. She knows her place in the house and is serious in her work. I think its becoz she needs the money to pay her kids uni fees.
I have 3 kids: twins and a 6 month old, she is able to help us take care of them and does a good job with the house. I also give her a day off so that she can get away of the chaotic house but I remind her that she don't bring her nonsense back home. I'll be renewing her contract coming July. However, all said, they are still just an outsider. We must still be on our toes and not let our guard down. Once they realize that you are careless that's where things happen.

hi pink gerbera,
glad to hear your kids are all better now ;)

Since we're on the topic of illness, just wanted to share with everyone an illness called "ADEM'. It stands for Acute Disseminated EncephaloMyelitis. You can read more about it (http://www.adem.org/). It is very rare, affecting about 7 in a million pple, and our son just happened to be one of them. I think it every mommy should read about it because it is so difficult to spot.

Our 3 yo son came down with it in early Feb and was in ICU for 5 days, followed by a 10 day hospitalization and another 7 days in rehab hospitalization. Overnight, from a normal active 3yo, he lost his ability of speech, motor..couldn't put his lips around a straw, much less swallow. Couldn't even bring his fingers around to squeeze the doctor's finger. Couldn't walk. Nothing. He could only manage a smile after 11 days. He went thru rehab for his muscles to re-learn actions again.

The doctors gave a time frame of 3-6 months for full recovery. We are very thankful that by mid-March he was back to normal.

It just came from a normal cold. There were none of the usual 'sick' signs like fever, throwing up. He was just EXTREMELY lethargic. Slept from afternoon, woke a little, slept from 6 till next morning, slept on the drive to the doc.

I just wanted to share this knowledge with everyone.

Mummies,

Thank you all for the well wishes.
It was a stressful period. A few nights with no sleep because basically was sponging them through the night, especially my daughter because she is prone to high fevers. She was ever hospitalized for that.
Then, have to take a few days off work because nanny also kena. And workload at office started to pile up. It was a miracle I didn’t succumb!

Mummusings,

Yeah feel so helpless, wanted to suck the fever away onto myself if only I could.
Anyway, all getting better and the fighting has resumed.

Tamarind,

Was leaning toward the older maid this morning. Then talked to hubby and he said, our kids very young and active. Maybe better to try younger one with more energy. Maid agent who is friend’s father too advice me to pick the younger one, based on my family needs.
Anyway, I shall adopt your methods of being strict and firm from Day 1 and have a set of rules. Hopefully I will be able to manage her. *Fingers crossed.*

Sophia,

I remind myself constantly to take my Vit C! Have some in office just in case forgot to pop in the morning before coming to work – how KS is that!
I have 3 kids and twins too – what a coincidence! Must share more on how to cope….
OK, I am not shy to scold maids. Actually I am quite good at scolding…kekeke, my job requires me to work with a few subcons in China and to ensure they keep up quality, involved scolding sometimes too.

Redvelvet,

ADEM sounds really nasty. I am sorry to hear about your little boy. Glad to hear he is now back to normal.

Hi Tam,

Oh dear - looks like they have started from day one to be a weasel!!!

There's no end to the requests. Aircon noisy, leaking, want day+night curtains, toilet problems, lightbulb burst... A real pain.

I had better tenants luckily. Mine were cleanliness freaks who were afraid of dust and clutter. The only genuine problem which came up was sticky parquet -- which was under warranty by developer and they honored the promise to rectify it within 12 months of TOP.

Anyway it's really better to rent to ppl we know or Singaporeans because you really don't know what these folks do on weekends when their friends pop by. Hope I'm not scaring you.

The larger the place, the larger problems because so many things can be picked on. Recently my mom had to change out ALL the curtains because the expat didn't like the colour
sad.gif
and we're talking about 3 rooms plus 5-meter living room stretch of windows. She's feeling heartpain 'cos the previous tenant also made her change curtains!

redvelvet

sorry to hear abt your son. thank u for sharing with us the info. glad he has recovered.

my elder gal had fever 40 degrees. told hubby if hit 41, must send to hospital. thank God she did not hit 41. now the virus is terrible! i have been pumping my gals with doses of vitamin c. seems to help. cos they normally very susceptible to virus attack.

with HMFD cases increasing, i am keeping my gals at home too. the childcare centre has 4 cases and the first victim is badly hit! wouldn't want my gals to undergo the agony of HFMD, heard it is terrible.

take care mummies, and pump yourselves with vit c too. the family needs us!

Hi mommies,

Son went for review yday and learned that he'll need another MRI in a few months' time. Need to see the brain to assess extend of recovery. Just had a blood test yday and the brave boy just said 'ouch' when the needle went it. He was staring at the blood flowing into the tube. Poor boy, he's had so many pokes.

Just wanted to share knowledge of this illness with all because it is so unknown and there are no obvious outward signs.

This HFMD sounds scary in Singapore, take care everyone!!

Going outlet shopping in Gilroy this sunny Saturday! Hubby's wallet going to be lighter!! ;)

Hello mummies,

How is everyone doing here? This forum is getting busier again
happy.gif

Hi Tam,

I hv pblm trying to rent a unit ard my plc for 3 mths for us to do renovation. Headache
sad.gif
A property agent actually suggest if we mind shifting if we can buy a unit and sell our unit at ard same price. The total renovation cost worked out by our ID is almost $80k (including renov and furnishings). We are still considering if this can save us the hassle.

Hi Revelvet - Thanks for sharing with us on ADEM. So many funny illnesses these days. My hubby commented that perhaps these used to be ard but we are more educated now to be aware nowadays.

Hi Helen - My DD1 had HFMD 3 times and DD2 once (lucky she din get it the 1st time my DD1 had from her preschool). It was terrible! My kids' CC was also having a HFMD attack in early Apr. I kept my kids away for 1.5 weeks as we were going away for a break. I have also been giving them sambucol to build up their immunity. So far so food. We just came back from HK (hb there for a seminar for 3 days so we tacked along since there are 2 holidays this week - super long weekend
happy.gif
)

Hi aa - my kids used to go Econ TCM as West point hospital for child massage when they started CC. It was good. Both my girls enjoyed their massage very much. Their TCM charges are cheaper than Eu Yan San. Each session of child massage cost $20 (that was more than 1 yr ago. Do not know if their charges have increased).

Hi Tam/ Pink Gerbera/ Sophia,

On maids - I total agree with you on maids. I am strict with my current maid and she knows her position. She seldom get scolding from me but, I will not hesitate to scold her if she is not on her toes. She is 27 yrs old but I shd say she is mature and her family needs her income to support her family. So far, she has been responsible and trustworthy. I gave her 1 off-day a mth and I also remind her not to bring "nonsense" home. She is applying to go work in Canada from here and we supported her decision and let her continue to work with us. We will let her go if she got selected to go work in Canada. It is not easy to find a good/ trustworthy maid and esp when we are not home 24/7 to watch over them. I guess, for maids whom come here to work to earn $$$ to support family, they are more willing to work. Pblm is many maids who come here to work thought that they are here to play and see the world and too prone to temptations.

Snowball32,

Which sambucol brand do you give your girls?
Does it taste ok?

Currently giving my boy liquid Vit C and multi-vits. He is taking them quite well. Feel like starting sambucol also but he is very fussy, so need to find one that taste good.

Hi Pink Gerbera,

I have let them tried both Nature's Way and Sambucol Brand. My kids prefer Sambucol Brand and I have been giving them this for more than a year now. Sambucol is actually elderberry extract and it has this pleasant elderberry taste (like blueberry) and both my gals like it. I am giving them on Mondays and Fridays and break on Sat/ Sun.

U can check this out at www.iherb.com. I am also taking the Sambucol tablet myself.

If you just wanna try out, you can get it from Vitakids at United Sq or Paragon. Its much cheaper if you buy online.

If you are buying from iherb.com for the first time. Let me know as I can get you a USD5 off voucher for 1st time buyers.

snowball

Hehe, the agent probably suggested buy/sell so can earn commission mah.

Agreed quite hard to rent whole flat short term as most landlords are looking at 1 year lease or longer.

We managed to rent a large bedroom (big enough for 4 door wardrobe, 1 queen & 1 single bed) for 5 month because that landlady's house is mostly vacant except on weekends. So she said up to us how many months to stay. We deposit the rest of our furniture at storage.

We didn't go through agent, just ask my mom to go ask around whenever she went wet market. She found one for us very quickly, haha, cannot underestimate auntie power

Since there isn't a fixed timeline to move out in your case, you can start looking for a place to rent 1st, after you found it then start renovation

However, for my next move, I won't do that again, very inconvenient

mumusings

I can't recall the exact quotation but it wasn't very expensive.

But we subsequently decided to store at PIL's spare room for $200/mth since we would visit them anyway so 顺便 retrieve anything we need instead of making a separate trip to storage area

Hi Yawn,

Yes, the rental mkt is very hot now. No landlords want to accept even a 6-mth rental even I offered higher rental rate.

I do not want to rent only rooms as I know it will be very inconvenient. Will discuss with my hb on the next step to take.

Hi Mumusings,

My colleague rented a storage space @ Woodlands area at ard $3000 per year (after all discounts). It is about a standard room sz. I think storage is worthwhile if its for short-term. For LT storage, this can burn a hole in the pocket.

Hi all,

I understand many mommies here have kids in primary school level, so I'm interested in getting your views, as opposed to reading them on MSM or on social media.

I've been reading from todayonline and others on parents' concern with the unrealistic standards of primary math, and by extension, English as well.

The teachers interviewed for the article state that alot of times, it's pressure from parents...and so, the vicious cycle begins.

Is the math level in SG really unrealistic? Being the KS parent that I am, and being away from SG, I've bought past-year SG exam papers for my daughter to work. Are those reliable? Do they reflect the standard in SG?

I've also read how a Pri 2 teacher told her student that "a bright and sunny day" was not a good starting. When asked how to improve, the teacher actually told the student to "go think about it yourself". And there are students who memorize phrases like "on a scorching hot day with the sun beating down like a fireball"....in Pri 2!!!!

If and when we do go back to SG, I worry for our children.

redvelvet

I think it boils down to parents' expectations? I didn't buy any past year papers for my kids. They didn't do assessment books either. Just finish up school assigned homework will do.

Maths standard is alright, I find it manageable at P2, sums are pretty straight forward, no sweat yet. I think it gets much tougher in higher primary. I don't quite understand p4 maths but that's because I've not been following the syllabus closely after p2. My p4 girl hardly asked for help. If stuck, she will ask dh, but only a couple of times since this year. So I think it's manageable too

English compo is harder to score. My kids won't memorise fancy phrases so they usually write anything they like. May not get top marks but I think teacher also grade them on grammar & sentence sense, so not necessary to throw bombastic phrases in order to score reasonably. Unless aiming for top marks, then it's a different strategy. Again, it's about parents' expectations.

However, I think you should worry about Science instead. That's a real killer.

redvelvet,
Are your kids going to come back to Singapore to study ? If not, I think you can just forget about trying to keep up with the Singapore syllabus. I am saying this not because it is tough, but because there is a lot of problems in our education system.The system is like a factory churning out kids who strive to produce the model answers according to the teacher's marking scheme. The system has never produced any great scientist, writers, etc in over 40 years.

It is also the most ridiculously stressful education system for children in the world. The first major test is the GEP at 9 years old, followed by the PSLE at 12 years old. No other system in the world, not even China and Japan, stress kids at such a young age. This is completely unnecessary.

snowball,
I accepted 6 month rental for my tenants ! My rental is also quite reasonable. No wonder every one who viewed the flat wants to rent the rooms.

mumusings,
My mother's flat is only about 100 meters away. She walks back everyday to check. So hopefully the tenants don't do anything funny.

Now my mother is quite happy with the tenant, saying that they are very neat and tidy. I have another tenant moving into the other bedroom, also filipinos, hopefully they don't give me any problems.

I really envy you to be able to own an apartment and rent it out. I missed the chance to buy an apartment during the time when property prices were lowest, which was around 2003 when my daughter was born. Really regretted it. Now it is impossible for me to afford a private property.

I wish the government can allow only citizens to own HDB flats, then earn rental income by renting out to PRs and foreigners. Then there will be less complaints from citizens about foreigners. Now many PRs bought HDB flats and then rent the rooms out to earn profits.

Sophia,
How much are you going to pay your maid when you renew her contract in July ?
I am also going to renew my maid's contract this July. I am thinking of giving her a $50 increment, and her pay will be $600 a month. She has every alternate Sundays off.

tamarind

gep is optional & no need to prepare lah. I don't even consider it as an exam. Except for those parents who're rich enough to send their kids to gep prep classes. Again, it's all about parents' expectations lor. I believe it's a non-event for most of us commoners, haha!

PSLE is compulsory though. Since our era... placement exam for secondary school mah

I regretted not buying private property in 2006 too. Everything was so unbelievably cheap with hindsight! We viewed a brand new freehold penthhouse with spiral stairscase to roof top garden at only $750K, 7 minutes walk to mrt. But we were too timid to commit to such a huge purchase since we're a single income family.

yawn,
Not all parents think that gep is optional and does not need to prepare. They try their best to push their kids into GEP. Have you heard of any parents who opt out of the gep screening test ?

Read this
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=288216577906343

It is a well know fact that almost all gep students attend tuition classes. How gifted can they be ?

I have been mentoring gep students to do projects, and I realized that many are only exam smart. In fact, I have not met any who is truly gifted, quite exasperated with their so called innovation. I believe that most of them have been trained to pass the gep screening test, which makes it meaningless.

PSLE is also unnecessary, USA, UK, China etc all do not have this test at 12 years old. PSLE has become very stressful nowadays, because all parents want to push their kids into IP schools. For all those who did not make it and end up in poly, many felt like they already failed in life, all thanks to the education system.

I saw an ad by learning lab a few days ago. 8 out of 17 of the top PSLE scorers attended the learning lab. This really reflects badly on our education system, that even the brightest requires tuition. It has also become an elite system, the richer the parents, the kids will have better chances of doing well.

I remember viewing a 2 storey penthouse going for $750 at around 2006 too. Now it is probably worth $2 million.

tamarind, wow i don't pay here that much..... her new salary is $500 with alternate sunday off. after one year will increase abit more. If you don't give your maid off, how much do you compensate her?

Snowball,

Thanks. I will order some from my regular iherb supplier.

Redvelvet,

As my children are still very young (my eldest is only 3), I can’t comment on the current state of education system in Sgp. However, based on observing my peers with school-going children, they are perpetually stressing and having to supervise home work. Many send children to tuition, which I imagine cannot be fun for the kids at all.

Btw, read about your Gilroy trip. Do you live in Bay area? My hubby was working in San Jose for a few years before our marriage. I visited many times and absolutely love it.

Helen,

I hope your girl is better now. I agree that the virus going around is vicious!

Mumusings,

We actually own a storage unit at Extra space. They have a few different sizes depending on what you wish to store. We had to because we converted the bomb shelter into maid’s room and we have a lot of stuff with nowhere to store and we did not want to throw.
I am not sure how much it cost but hubby claims it is affordable and saves the headache of dealing with clutter in the house so it is worth it.

Yawn yawn,

We had the good fortune of purchasing our property in 2006 when prices were rock bottom. It was really one of the luckiest thing to happen to us. We took a leap of faith and plonk down our money for a big unit. Now, on paper, we are sitting on almost a doubling in profit.
I can’t imagine buying a private property now – prices has spiraled beyond control

pink gerbera

you're so lucky!!!

I plan to move house again in 2 years time but current price remains high. Still waiting for entry point. Our flat value appreciates 70%, although seem high in % but absolute capital gain is not that much lor

Hi Tam,

U good leh....allow 6 mths' rental. The home owners ard my area wanted only rental agreement of min. 1 yr. That is Y I am facing pblm with short-term rental.

Hi Yawn - I wanted to commit on a unit (about 1500sqft) opp my plc when it was launched in year 2005. Price then was about $700k. I told my hb that sure appreciate in value by the time the unit TOP. My hb hesitated and dare not take the risk. Now, a 10-yr old unit of similar size is going at almost $1m near my plc, not to mention new ones. Sighhhh.

Hi Tam/ Yawn - GEP. My colleague's and friends' kids are real bright children. Both of them goes to neighbourhood school, no tuition and scored very well for their GEP tests. Both of them ended up in the tro' train scheme, in RI/ RJC now.

I will also not particularly send my kids for GEP prep tests as I find that this is not meaningful. Can't imagine if the child gets thro' but perpetually needs tuition to push on...what's the point. When they enter University, still need tuition help for their work?

Back