Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

precious_gem

Hi! Is anybody out there whose in their mid or late 30s or even over 40 who has small children? I'm 38 and will be 39 next week and I have 2 small chdn.

My little princess is four and half years old while my prince just turn one last week.

I tried to join the other mommies in a couple of 'groups' but I feel most of the time I'm invisible
sad.gif
Most of my friends have much older children (teenagers to early 20s) or no children at all.

I'm really into children, child's play and development etc and family values. I'm also into outdoor activities with kids and into losing weights.

If there's any like-minded mommies out there, please keep in touch with me.

Hope to hear from all of ya!

Cheers!

Hi precious gem. Happy birthday (belated) to your little prince. I'm 42, with 2 kids, aged 10 years and 22 months! REally old huh?

I know how you feel. most of my peers also have kids much older than mine. I feel so left out in their conversation sometimes. Yet, at the same time, feel a little out of place with the younger mummies with kids around my kids' age, especially my younger boy.

Hope we can start something here for mums like us!
Cheers!

Hi precious gem & cowandchick(what a cute nick!),

A BIG hello from me! i'm one of the older mommies too! will be 37 this year and my boy will turn 6 months next week! #2 is still in the pipeline..:)

it's great that you've started this thread! sometimes i feel paiseh too to join the other groups cos some of the mommies are >10 years younger than me!

hello ladies,
i would like to join in too.

i am 33yrs old w a 6mth old bb boi; most of my friends are either not married or have much older chidren.

i am also into losing weights but have not been sucessful so far as i like to eat. ;)

hello mommies

I'm 34 years old with 2 kids (5 years old and 3 years old). I'm a SAHM. I spent a lot of time reading & talking to my kids. hmm...come to think of it, I don't really play with them because they already have the best playmates (each other)

I love facial & spa. Tried slimming at Sensualite after delivering my 2nd child but no effect. I recently renovated my house and lost 3 kg, wonderful side effect from rushing around and cleaning the house. hopefully the weight loss is substainable :eek:)

Love to make like-minded new friends. I have been a SAHM for 4 years while all my friends are career women, and mostly single, no one to discuss parenting issues except my mom. So happy to chance upon this forum

Hi Jessica, WOOFWOOF. so nice of you to join in too. But looks like i'm the really oldie here! Nevermind, young at heart.

You like my moniker, Jessica? it's my 2 kids' zodiac. my girl is a cow, and my boy is a chicken (or rooster). hence the name 'cowandchick'. i thot it was rather cute too!

Hi hippo2002. have read several of your postings elsewhere. Wow, how you managed to do all that renovating and all, and still take care of your 2 kids! hats off to you! pei fu, pei fu!

i've been SAHM for nearly 10 years now. Come June, when my girl turns 10, i'll be celebrating my 10th anniversary as a SAHM! and yet it seemed like only yesterday that i gave birth to my girl! how time flies.

unlike some mummies, i don't really have any issues with slimming. not bec i'm svelt and sexy, far from it! i've just given up. now that i've crossed 40, i just try not to expand even more!! told my hubby he has to accept his 'new' wife as she is, and not as she was! ha! ha!

Hello ladies ... wow it's so great to hear from all of you. Sorry I haven't been online for the last couple of days. I never thot that there would be any mommy like me but look at ya all
kao_laugh.gif

Anyway, I almost wanna give up losing weight too but I thot I could at least keep fit since having small children at this age could be really tiring. They always keep me on my toes.
kao_blush.gif

Usually when I take my 4.5 years old girl for her swimming lesson, I will try to swim while she's having her lesson. Other than that, I just do a bit of briskwalking when I'm taking my kids to the playground.

I'm not into joining those slimming prog cuz I can't afford it. I did however found a prog on the internet which is FOC but it's hard when you're doing alone, no motivation or support. However i do enjoy going to spa for massages every once in awhile as I think I deserve it, right? DOn't we all deserve it! I'm also a trained massage therapist myself but I only do that freelance.

BTW, where are u all at? I live in Woodlands & work in Teck Whye. I send my baby to a babysitter in Bukit Panjang. My girl attends kindergarten in Teck Whye so after school she's with me @my office. They are quite family friendly here as long as your kids do NOT interfere with your work. I work full time, no choice. I wish I could be SAHM, that would be a dream come true.

Well hope to hear more from all of you all!

See ya!
kao_byebye.gif

Hey cowandchick,
I don't think you're that old ... and congratulations on ur 10th years anniversary on being a SAHM, may you have many more wonderful & memorable years ahead of you ......
kao_babydust.gif

Hi Jessica,
Wow you really don't waste any time huh? After 6 months giving birth, you got one more on the way. COngratulations!!!
kao_clap.gif

WOOFWOOF,
I also have the same problem. I don't mind the exercise but I'm such a foodie! I just love food ... so I have to learn to cut down on certain foods. I'm trying to follow the South Beach Diet, but everytime I'm about to start, someone will spoil it by offering me chocolate or ice-cream or I get invited to a function with an enormous buffet
kao_confused.gif

Hi hippo2002,
It's great that your children are only 2 years apart so they can be playmates. Anyway, what you're doing with your kids are great; reading and talking. That's the best way to interact with your kids. Both activites also promotes language development. And yep, house chores can really burn alot of calories.

Well I'm really glad that you gals are all here
kao_happy.gif
So we do have somthing going huh. Well just keep updating about yourself and your kids and we see where we can go from there.
kao_cheers.gif

Hi Precious Gem,

no lah...just planning for #2 only, no action yet! just managed to convince hubby yesterday to kiv till my son Brian is 1.5 years old! sorry to confuse you! but i'll accept your congratulations first :)

it's great that you can bring your kids to work. Your company must be very pro-family! i'm currently a sahm in Bishan. looking after Brian alone in the day though my mom comes by in the afternoon for a couple of hours to relieve me(whew!). was freelancing before but stopped after getting pregnant. he is a very precious baby to us cos we have been married for 10 years!

Hi Cowandchick,

Then i shld call myself dogdog! cos both Brian and myself bornt in the year of dog! i used to refer to ourselves as Gou3 Zai3 Dui4!(paparazzi in Chinese!)

i don't have the weight issue at the moment. i don't know if it's a blessing in disguise or what, but i was so stressed during confinement from being a sotong new mom who doesn't know anything coupled with an unsupportive mil as my confinement lady, that when friends and relatives saw me at Brian's full month celebration, they commented that i am slimmer than my pre-pregnancy days! well, i supposed bfding, and the stess that comes with it, helps too. but i understand how you ladies feel cos i was struggling with my weight too before being pregnant. and i still look plump cos of my chubby face and big bones!

Hi Woofwoof,

My boy is 6 months old too! in fact, he turns 6 months exactly today! which date is your baby bornt? i also have lots of girl friends who are single, as for those married ones, their youngest kid is at least 3 years old. a couple of them got pregnant again this year with #2, so hopefully they can be Brian's playdates in the future.

Hi Hippo2002,

i haven't been to a facial/spa session for ages! will love to do something to pamper myself cos these old bones need some tlc these days!

Hi mommies,
Glad to find this thread. I am going to be 38 years old soon, I have an almost 4 year old girl, and my boy will be 3 years old in September. Like Jessica mentioned, most mommies seem to be 30 or less, so I am really happy to find mommies in my age group.

Hmmm...I can't imagine I am going to be 40 year old soon ! I still cannot get over people calling me "auntie"
sad.gif
Not too long ago, people are still calling me "Xiao Mei" hehehe

What to expect when we reach 40 ? I still like pink color very much leh.

I love travelling, will travel overseas 2 - 3 times a year. I thought that having kids will suppress my wanderbug, but I am still travelling ! Sometimes I bring them along, sometimes I go alone.

I will be going to Krabi next week with my hubby and my girl. Then in May I am bring my father to cruise the three gorges. In November, I plan to bring my mother to Macau.

Hi ladies,

Would like to join u gals too. I am turning 35 this year and my bb boy reaching 8 mths next Tuesday. Have same problems as most of you out there, first-time mum and inexperience in almost everything regarding bb care. Wanted to loose weight very much yet my love for food is beyond words. Worst still, my hb is also a food lover. So we end up having supper almost every Friday night
lame.gif

I am a FTWM living in Ang Mo Kio Area. Currently my boy alternates between his two granny. The problem is i working shift - morning shift, bb goes to my mum's place and if i working in the afternoon shift, he goes to his paternal granny side.

Like Jessica, i am trying for #2 next year, then my family will be complete with 2 dogs and 2 rats. Hee....

Sorry for being so loso, hope to hear from you gals too!

jessica,
my DS was born on 3rd sept 06. i gave birth to him at KKH.

i call myself woofwoof as i love dogs... DH and DS also born in year of DOG.

precious gem,
i have 5kg more to go b4 going back to original weight. eating is so easy while losing (weight) is so difficult...sigh...

tamarind, really envy u for able to travel. my DS is still to young to be brought along for holiday, besides, DH and i also not comforatble to bring him along... we are the very kaisi and kaisu kind. :>

look like most mummies here already have 2 kids except jessica and myself. actually also planning for number 2, but drop the idea after talking to DH. we both think we are a little too old and started family a little too late (DH is 37 this yr)... the main consideration is that both of us are no where in our careers and dun want to get stress out over finances when no. 2 comes along.

what are your considerations when planning for no. 2? would like to hear u mummies opinions?

Re: Losing weight
I have given up on losing weight, I am 1.6m, 64kg, officially overweight. Balancing full time work and family is really stressful, I cannot take the stress of losing weight. Anyone like me ?

WOOFWOOF,
I am lucky that my mother helps me to take care of the kids, with the help of maids. I didn't travel with my kids until they are 2 years old. Before that, I was able to travel alone because my mother looks after them. Really grateful to my mother.

My hubby and I have no financial problems, and since my mother stays with us to help, I was able to give birth to my first baby at age 34, and my second baby at age 35. My only consideration was to give birth before 35, so as to reduce the risk. I wanted to have 2 kids, so that my girl will not become too self centred, and I wanted her to learn to share. Having 2 kids is fun, I simply love watching the 2 of them play together and talk to each other. But there is a lot of stress too, like when one is sick, the other one will be infected too, so we have to pay double the medical fees.

Actually I think it is absolutely fine to have one child only, if you give him the right exposure to socialize with other kids of his age.

Re: Having 2 kids

My ex-colleague used to tell me he had more free time after having 2 kids. I find it quite unbelievable but it turns up to be true!
I actually have more free time when my 2 girls are old enough to play with each other. I only step in when they start screaming at each other

I wanted 2 kids because I have siblings too, and I find that my childhood is quite fun even though I fight with my brother all the time, haha!

the other reason is when both my hubby & I passed away, at least they still have each other, parents can't accompany them forever (thinking really long term lah)

Re: losing weight

is like fighting a losing battle. I love junk food! chocolate, ice-cream, chicken biscuit, potato chips....I love all of it!

my target is to to fit into all my old clothes. with that bulge on tummy, don't think I'm getting anywhere near.

Tamarind

haha! I get very offended when people called me 'auntie'.
I was looking at a holiday picture I took with hubby in 1998. Alamak, he still looked exactly the same as the picture while I aged so much !

and i love pink too, I'm the one crazy over barbie, not my girls :eek:)

Cowandchick

Have you ever miss working life or consider returning to work?

I am contemplating return to work part-time (because I have sold my house & now living 2 blocks from my mom's house, so I have much better support from my parents)

but haven't got around to start searching yet. dragging my feet, too comfortable with status quo

Hi Jessica and pbtgal-Zan, to you get your no. 2 soon! don't wait too long, like me. My kids are a good 8 years apart, not that i wanted it that way. had 2 miscarriages between them. wished i had planned for #2 earlier! like tamarind, well done! well, better late than never!

hey, tamarind, if pple call you 'auntie', they'll call me 'ah por'?!! like hippo2002, i do get offended when pple call me 'auntie'. i remember walking away from a shop coz the stupid salesgirl asked, 'auntie, want to try?' grrrrr...

hippo2002 - tho 've been a SAHM for 10 yrs now, i have taken on temporary part-time jobs now and then. i also took courses to keep my mind alive! in fact, i am planning to do another distance course next year. i do eventually see myself back at work, but probably not full-time. like you, too spoilt already.
besides, not quite feasible for me to return to work, partly because my daughter has a disability and needs me to help her with her work. that's also the reason why i did not return to work. i actually turned down offers to do part-time so that i can spend more time with her. then came #2!
presently helping a cousing doing some home-based sales. At least there's life outside my hubby and kids!

Hi all

So interesting to read the postings from all of you. I'm 34 this year and I've a baby girl of 9 mths. I've taken no pay leave to be with my girl this year. A chance for me to see if being an SAHM is for me...if not then I'll go back to full time work next year.

I find that taking my girl out in the day helps time to pass faster...hahah...playing with her for so many hours at home can get really urrrhhh...especially it's not so 2-way yet now at her age. I usually take her out to shopping centres, Botanical Garden, West Coast Park or Sentosa or frens' homes. She loves meeting other babies or young children so i thought it's good to let her socialize more, esp if we are not going to have another child.

hippo2002,
My hubby same as your hubby. He is going to be 40 this year, but everyone think he is in his mid 20s, still call him "Ah Di". I am going to look like his elder sister very soon.

I like Hello Kitty and Pooh bear
happy.gif

cowandchick,
The worst part is there was a middle-aged woman, who clearly looks older than me, and she called me auntie !!! grrrrr...

I admire your ability to take care of family and still have time to take courses. What kind of courses are you taking ?

Cheri Oo,
Yes at 9 months it's boring to play at home all day. Babies get more interesting when they can talk. Personally I like kids when they are 2 years or older. Nowadays I see babies also very scared hehehe because it is so tough to look after them.

Re: having 2 kids
the main thing about me wanting 2 kids is for them to look out for each other when DH and i not around; think the same as hippo2002.

but then again...seen many siblings who are not so close... some may probably say that it is due to upbringing... the parents must bring them close.

anyway, 33yr old this yr; so 2 more yrs to consider b4 hit 36yr old. i prefer the kids to be 2yr apart, at most 3yr.

Re FTWM or SAHM
like pbtgal, i also FTWM, also staying at AMK.
i prefer to work dun like to stay at home... but if DH gives $5k or more a month as pocket money than diff story lah...

hi tamarind,
i'm bracing myself for the day pple will call me 'ah por'. well, seems like not too far away...
i completed my masters when my girl was 2. I started the course when i was pregnant, took a years' leave, and returned to finish it off! Then, i took courses on music and movement for kids and adults while my girl was still in childcare. i also took a short couse on sewing, and managed to make really pretty clothes for my girl. she loves to design her own clothes - a pocket here, laces there,etc.
Am thinking now of doing a distance course on special education, related to my daughter's disability. she is visually impaired. still trying to finalise the course details with the professors!

actually, i find it important to keep the mind sharp, especially while a SAHM coz we don't get much interaction with other adults. it doesn't really matter what course, as long as we're interested in it.

hope you find something you like too!

my way of staying in touch with society is to look at the stock market every day. didn't invest actively. market too hot, don't want to chase. market down, dare not enter... sigh!

I was a part time real estate agent for 6 months in 2004. Hubby hated it because he ended up babysitting on weekends. So I stopped obediently. But good knowledge because I used what I learnt to sell & buy my house without paying other agents commission, so save a few $K :eek:)

Tamarind
my hubby going to be 40 next year, still looked so fresh & youthful. why why why ???
my mom said women aged because of delivery. hmm...I guess that's the only difference between men & women so probably quite true huh?

WoofWoof
yes, I believe it's the upbringing. I try to tatoo the 'love your sibling' idea into their heads whenever there is opportunity. seems to work.

cowandchick
I took keyboard lessons when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. my hubby wanted a musically inclined child....haha! parents do extreme things :eek:)
Admired you for your courage! It's tough to be a mom, triple the effort with a special child.
your masters degree is in which discipline?

Re: babies below 1 year old

I really missed those days when I carry my younger child her every waking moment of the day. Totally freak my mom & MIL out. Said it's bad to carry baby whole day, will become clingy.
Now she is too heavy at 18kg, I can only carry her for 1 minute

Tamarind, you so cute! Don't worry lah, i am sure things aren't that bad. Maybe, must ladies must daban daban to make ourselves look pretty sometimes.

Woofwoof, i agree! If my hb's salary alone can support the whole family, i dont mind being a SAHM.

Actually, i want to stop at 1 but hb afraid that bb will be lonely and become too self-centred if he is the only child as he is also the only grandchild of both families. But to think that 1 am already 35 this year, really quite a dilemma. on one hand, i love kids (even hb who used not to like kids but now he love our bb boy alot), on the other hand, worry that my MIL and mum will have a hard time taking care of 2 babies. On top of all, to raise a child in Singapore is definitely not cheap leh. We do have our financial burdens.

Ya, like hippo, i also love to cuddle my son esp his natural sweet bb smell. However, whenever he goes to my in-laws' pl, we are not allowed to carry him for too long as his granddad wants to carry him.

Hi

I am 34 and have a 3 month old baby boy. We are not old lah. At least thats what my boss always says when promotion is concern. hahahaha

Hi J2Rs. No, we're not old at all. Still very young in fact. are you back at work? who's looking after bb?

WOOFWOOF
My kids are a good 8 years apart. Not very ideal, some would say, but the jie jie's a very good baby-sitter when I'm busy! Also, she can take care of most of her own needs, so it's like half a kid less! But, don't wait too long, lah!

hippo2002, I did my advanced dalcroze while expecting #2. All that jumping, hopping, and dancing seems to have a very good effect on my boy now! He loves music, and is responding very well to all kinds of music! My masters is in education. I took it with NIE. Am now looking at Special Ed with Australian U.

I too miss being able to just carry my boy whenever i go shopping. so convenient, without him running all over the place! I used to simply wrap him in my sarong sling and viola! Now, I spend 10 minutes getting what i need, and the next 50 mins running after him and keeping him close.

How do you make sure your kid don't go missing when you go shopping? Sigh!

Re: How do you make sure your kid don't go missing when you go shopping
I tie them up in the stroller
happy.gif
There was a period when my girl could not sit still in the stroller, I stopped bringing her out for a while.

cowandchick,
"Ah por" hehehe you are very funny. Are you cantonese ?
Sorry to hear that your daughter is visually impaired. Will you be teaching her at home or sending to special school ?
Your courses are interesting
happy.gif
I used to sew when I was a child, my parents use to be tailors.
The only things I am interested in now is online shopping and travelling ! Can't think of anything else I am interested in, terrible hor.

hippo2002,
Your hubby help to take care of baby or not ?
My hubby is very lucky one, never need to wake up at night to feed the baby, never need to help with housework, like this of course can stay youthful lah.
My girl also 18.5 kg, I can only carry her and walk a few steps. How old is your girl ?

pbtgal-Zan,
I admit I haven't have much time to daban. But hor, sometimes daban also no use, it's the skin condition, tired eyes etc that shows the age. Sigh...

hi all mummies,
Good to see this thread. I am 33yrs with a 3yrs old kid. Now trying for #2, it's been few months but not successful. Actually I am quite worried on how to cope with #2 if really strike. My boy is very sticky to me, sometimes I just cannot tahan. Hubby very busy with work and most of the got to handle my boy myself.

Hi JasTan, all the best to your trying for #2. Aiyah, let #2 come and then you cope, no use worrying about it. then #2 won't happen!

tamarind, my hubby also very hands off. excuse is - my work so busy! Sigh. But sometimes when i've had enuf, i just walk away, leaving him with no choice but to handle the kids! cruel right? hey, he has to to his share of parenting too!
no, i'm hokkien. any difference? 'Ah por' means what it means... old lady!

My girl is in the mainstream school, P4 this year! It was a hard time getting schools to accept her. got turned away by a few. one principal even asked me to send her to the school for the DEAF!!! Wonder who's the deaf one here! But because she misses out a lot at school, when the teacher writes on the board, I do a lot of teaching with her at home. Putting her in school is more for normal socialising and integration into society. She was at the school for the blind in P1, and what a terrible disappointment it was! Long story, that one.

Actually, hoping to find other parents facing similar situation like myself here. started thread for support group for mums with visually handicapped kids, but none so far. It does get kinda lonely sometimes.

you'll slowly discover new interests. Maybe some of us here can interest you in something?

thanks for tip on making sure my kid doesn't go missing. will try that. hv bot a harness, but haven't really used it yet!

wow...this thread is picking up speed! DS has been taking catnaps these 2 days, everytime i started to type a reply, i will hear him crying in the bedroom!

Hello to Tamarind, pbtgal, Cheri, J2R & JasTan! *wave*

Tamarind,
wow..you will be travelling a lot this year! Lucky you! wish i can do so too but ds is still too small so our destinations will be limited. thinking of bringing him on a cruise first to see how he takes it.
i like pink too! in fact i think i gravitate towards pastel and cheery colours nowadays. hopefully my future #2 will be a girl so that i can go all out and grab the pretty pink gears for her!

pbtgal,

you also trying for #2? jia you jia you! you live quite near me leh?

Woofwoof,

so your DS is gor-gor to mine :)
my main consideration for #2 is logistics. right now my mom can only help me for 1-2 hours per day, and mil stays too far away. sometimes my hubby needs to travel too. if i fall sick (which i did 2x after giving birth), i need a back-up person to take care of my kids. also not sure if i get pregnant now, will it be safe for me to carry my son around like i do now? if not, then who is going to do that since i'm the sole caretaker for most part of the day? so we decide to defer #2 till DS is old enough to go to childcare - hopefully things will be easier by then.

SAHM vs FTWM - wah, 5k can be tai tai already leh!

Cowandchick,

Hats off to you for having the energy to pursue courses! i was in the midst of taking a translation course when i found out that i was pregnant. managed to finish the course but never got the chance to put it to good use. i think part-time jobs (especially home based ones) are really ideal for sahms like us!

Hippo 2002,

so did carrying your girl a lot really result in clingyness? cos i do that too, being alone at home with him all day. was reading the Baby Whisperer and the author also warned against that cos it discourages the babies to learn to be independent.

Re : 2 or more kids

my ideal was 3. but now too old liao, no more energy, so settle for 2. decide to hv #2 cos don't want DS to bear the sole responsibility of caring for us in the future. i myself only has 1 brother and we always feel very bad to leave my mom if we need to go abroad for studies. hubby on the other hand has 3 other siblings and doesn't find it a problem.

sorry very lor - sor, that's what happen when i don't log in frequently!

my hubby is one of those rare 'hands-on' type. i suppose it compensates for my mil who is totally hands off! hold for less than 5 minutes then want to pass baby to someone else already! first grandchild of the family somemore!

harness - seems to be quite common in western countries. saw it being sold at a lot of places. but not sure if you will attract weird stares here though.

cowandchick, i think you're really a great mom and your girl is so blessed to have you.

Jessica, pbtgal

I carry my 1st child even when I was pregnant. need to lift her on & off her dining chair every meal since I'm the only one with her during the day. my kids are 25 months apart so she's 10+ kg at 16 months old.
But 1st trimester, be more careful. 2nd & 3rd trimester I think it's alright

and yes, carrying my younger child did result in clingyness. she sticks to me like super glue. But there is no separation anxiety. She started attending classes independently. I think she's confident I will not abandon her :eek:)
when she was a few months old, she will cry every time she sees me, because she wanted me to carry her. my mom & MIL can't stand it, haha!
aiya, I think it's alright, bonding resulted in her being so cheerful & optimistic because she's so sure of my love for her

Tamarind, cowandchick

my hubby very hands on. he knows how to bathe infant! I only take over the bathing part when my baby can sit. He's like a single parent because of my crazy hours when I was working full time. I quit my job when my 1st child was 14 months old

and I used the scare tactic when we go shopping. 'uncle will catch you & sell you away' so they stayed closed. anyway they are making so much noise, it's hard to not notice them

JasTan

your son same as my girl 2004. Has he started any pre-nursery or enrichment classes?

like WoofWoof, I prefer my kids to be 2 years apart, at most 3 years, so that they can play together. I conceived #2 almost right away after I quit my job

Glad to see that this thread is moving fast so we can make more kakis. Eventhough my hb is not very handson, he is still quite helpful with the housework. I love the feeling of my boy being clingy to me as its not long u know that he has grown up, has his own groups of friends and no longer wants to go out with you. Haha, this may sound so far but yet life is short....

Jessica
i live in blk 638 @ ave 6. How about u? Ya, trying for #2, hopefully next year. Good luck to you too, let us know when u have the good news, okay?

Cowandchick
You are very brave and i like your positive attitude. Life is tough but can see that you have come very far.

All mummies
Have a nice weekend!

jessica, hippo2002, pbtgal-Zan
sooooo lucky you girls have such spportive hubby. mine can pretend we don't exist! so sometimes do the drastic lor. Last month attended some function with my siblings, left 2 kids with him at home. should've seen his jaw drop when i said i'd be out for the nite!
he only bathed #2, never#1. why? because i told him to! said he didn't know how. so i told him it's a wonderful time to learn!

my boy not scared of anything. maybe only 22mos, no concept of fear? will be trying out harness next week. like taking a chicken (not dog here) for walk? hee hee

pbtgal,

i stay at blk 252 just next to the bishan park! are you near the library? i luv the new MacDonalds - such nice ambience! only drawback is that it's so crowded every weekend and we always hv difficulty finding seats!

cowandchick,

u are hilarious! i was lol when i read your post abt taking chicken for a walk!

Hippo 2002,

ya, i really agree with your opinion re carrying babies. i just can't bear to not carry him when he is upset, esp when i see those tears rolling down his cheeks! feel so heartache!

Woofwoof,

you started DS on solids already? how's he taking it? my DS not very consistent, some days he can finish 1.5 tbsps of cereal, other days he refused to eat after barely taking 1/2 the portion.

Hi all,

any of you planning to hit the sales in town? will try to go if i hv time. starting DS on vegs this week so i'll be busy preparing the purees and storing them! whatever you are doing, have a lovely time!

finally a thread where I don't have to feel like an "auntie"!! i have a baby girl 16 mths old and just turned 37...

Gd morning mummies
happy.gif

I am 41 (2nd oldest so far) and we have a 3yo boy born on Nov of 2003. He attends nursery school at PCF Ctr located at Redhill, which is w/in walking distance to our home at Henderson Crescent. I am a sahm by choice, eventho it is very tough living on sgl-income basis. Dh and I cannot bear the thot of leaving our ds at childcare, fall ill and end up w more medical bills. I hv thots of gg back to workforce but am rather worried I might not be able to find job. Was in the travel industry for over half my life and it was n still is a very stressful job.
I'm glad that I found this thread eventho I used to rarely join a thread w topic header 'Mums 35 and above'. That thread moved too fast. I seemed to get lost in whatever conversation they were having.
Speaking of mummies here having others calling them 'ah por' or 'auntie', let me tell u gals a joke (well to me it was a joke)..

Last Thursday had our usual lunch at the Redhill market after ds release from school. Shared a table w an auntie who was at least aged 60-70. She started a conversation w me which I politely responded. Somewhere into the conversation, this auntie (grandmother of many grandchdn) asked if the boy was my grandchd?? I couldn't believe it! Am I so old like her?
sad.gif

miraclebebe
run into an auntie in a lift at library, who commented my younger girl is very cute, looked like 'ah ma' (she looked at me). faint !!!

I feel the same as you. Considering returning to work in case employers think I'm rusty and become unemployable (even though my hubby commented I am more informed of business news than he is). But my job nature is super long hours, unless I switch industry
plus need to be so thrifty...I earned same pay as my hubby last time so household income reduced by half

But rational thinking is one thing, doing it is another thing. I can't bear to leave my precious in childcare too, especially my 2nd child, never leave my side since she was borned. I think I'm the clingy mommy :eek:)

By the way mommies, do you have lines on your neck and collar bone? I noticed those lines last month...my beautican said it's winkles....sigh...all the neck cream I have been applying no effect leh, any recommendation?

re: losing weight... maybe we should set up a support group here! i would like to lose about 15 kgs by June (not possible??) coz i'm going to be the matron of honour in my sisters wedding! any quick tips? haven't found the time to sign up in a gym coz of work (travel every 2 weeks), baby, hb, church...

cowandchick... kudos to you for keeping up with all the courses!! i wish i had the energy and i only have 1 girl! my boss asking me if i want to do an MBA as part of the company's personnel developement program... dunno if i should?

Jessica,
ya, i live near the library and a pity they closed down the ntuc there. If not, that is the most convenient place to shop 4 groceries and bb items. Agree, been to the new McDonald once. Like the ambience but always so..... crowded. Cars many many, people many many, but carpark lots not enough, places to sit not enough...

JasTan,
Jiayou! Think sometimes when u wan, don't have. When out of mind, it works. Like my boy, tried 4 half a year after wedding, nearly wanted to go KKH 4 checkup then the good news shown on the pregancy kit.

This morning just rushed my bb boy to KKH. Sigh, weather no good, he is down with high fever and cough. He is now sleeping in my hands (once put him down will cry, think he is very gankor with the heat in his body) while i type. Take care everybody!

Hi All

I am in the mid 30's with two kids.8 years and 1.5 years. Energy level is really down with age catching up. Good to have mums that are sharing common expereince...

Rgds

JasTan

I recall ! we were in the MRC thread. Have you withdraw your son from the daily programme?

my girl attended her 1st Chinese lesson today. Teacher said her attention span is very short. She can only remember 3 words out of the 7 taught today. When I asked her why she didn't pay attention in school? my girl said she didn't want to go Chinese school anymore.
Alamak, I wasn't even raising my voice or anything, was just asking her a question nicely.... For that 1 (wrong) question, I need to spend the next 30 minutes praising her for recognising 3 words today to make her feel better. she has low stress tolerance.

Hi Patsy, welcome.
you sahm or ftwm? for sahm, easier to do courses. if working full-time, don't think i'll have the energy tho! whether or not to take course depends on yourself. how important do you rate this course? Also, considering your own future, you may need that extra qualification should you want to stay on your job, or if a sahm, return to the workforce when your child is much older.

pbtgal_Zan
how is your boy now? heard there's a bad flu bug going round. It took my boy a week to clear his fever. still coughing tho. It was a very tiring week for us all. hope your boy gets well soon.

Hi Rainbow. Mid-30s still very young. Keep spirits up chatting here!

hippo2002
i realise that girls are more 'sensitive'. i had the same problem with my girl. They cry first, so that you won't scold them! quite exasperating sometimes. Have to be very patient, and sayang them. Need to be gentle, so we don't damage their already delicate self-esteem. so troublesome! But no choice, don't want to put them off learning all together. But not to worry, they'll build up their confidence as they grow.
Also, is there any reason why she is not paying attention. Distraction? nasty teachers? My girl had some problems with her Chinese enrichment class previously because her classmates were very rowdy (throwing things around the class, calling names, even fighting), and the teacher wasn't good at controlling them. In the end, she just yelled at them. My poor girl was so shocked, and that ended the whole thing!

Update...
remember my harness? taking my chicken for a walk? must share this with you. Should've seen the look on those people's faces. Many gave me the amused stare. Others glared at me! One lady commented that I'm treating my boy like a dog! It was sooooo funny. Will do it more often. I need this comic relief!

hi cowandchick..FTWM, and travel a lot too!! which is why taking the MBA's gonna be tough, specially since my daughter needs a few surgeries.. oh well.. will have to think about it carefully.

pbtgal: do you have those cooling cushions that can help cool him down!

cowandchick

sometimes having 2 kids with different level of capability can be detrimental. My younger bro is 1st class honour. my youngest bro said he can never be as outstanding as my younger bro, so he simply give up trying

With that live example, we are always careful not to compare my 2 kids in their presence

my 3 years old is not confident. Even if she knows something, she will hesitate to answer.
From her perspective, her elder sister is very clever and she is probably comparing herself to her elder sister and felt that she is not as good.
not sure why she still don't feel confident even though we always praise & encourage her

In fact, I'm guilty of favouritism. I love my younger child more even though she is not as outstanding academically as her sister. I like her cheerful & easy going nature. We get along so much better

Patsy

depends on what's your plan. if you have no intention to be SAHM, MBA certainly can advance you in your career. Just be mentally prepared it will be tough. The time spent studying means the time away from your child

Cowandchick
Thanks! Yesterday, i let my son sweat for one day, he is feeling better but developed rashed all over his body. Afraid is measles or fake measles and 1st time mum, kancheongly bring him to his usual bb doc this morning. Luckily, his fever has gone down but now a bit of dry cough.

Think your sense of humour helps. Interested in another type of harness whereby u tie one end to bb's hand and one end to your own hand. My boy is very active, even now don't know how to crawl but always want us to help him stand and walk on the floor. Can't imagine if he knows how to walk, what will happen. I always tell my friends when he goes to school, i will always be the parent that have to sit inside the principal office - listen to his/her complaints about my son. Haha!

Patsy
my in-laws help to boil some diluted barley water. Hopefully it helps.

AMK & BISHAN mummies (Jessica and PBTgal)
i am staying at AMK ave 10.

jessica, just started my DS solid few weeks ago. but he is not interested and not consistent too. started with heinz rice cereal, frisocrem, healthy times brown rice cereal and oatmeal.... at wits end on what to give next.

he seems to enjoy sweet potato (japanese ones- purple colour).. but cannot give everyday too.

woofwoof,

u might wanna try your ds on yogurt too. dunno what's the view on this w mummies here, but i had terrible time w our ds when he turned 5mo n refused to take his rice cereals or brown rice cereals whatsoever. He only liked the cereal w banana. Think it's called Hipp, a German brand.
My sis who has 4 chdn suggested I try yogurt and till this day, ds still loves it.

Woofwoof,

just went to the ave 10 coffeeshop last week after reading abt the raving review on the nasi lemak stall in the Sunday Times. :) didn't disappoint - value for money and the chicken wing is very crispy!

i am now giving DS Healthy Times brown rice cereal and Bellamy organic rice cereal (which he seems to hate). DS was very receptive to solids initially but i guess the novelty has worn off. introduced his first veg yesterday - pumpkin, but response was lukewarm. next on my list will be carrots, pears and maybe papaya.

miracle bebe,

where do you get the yogurt?

pbtgal
Glad to hear your boy's better. but how is he? what did the doc say about the rashes?
i had the wrist harness thing, but my boy, he could extricate himself! Don't know how he did it, but he got himself free, to our horror!
know what you mean about sitting in the principal's office. sent my boy to childcare, told hubby not to give my hp. Then any trouble, they call him first, not me. So scary...

woofwoof
the initial stages of starting solids is always the most difficult. they keep changing their minds about what they want/like. very headache, but keep persevering. i started my kids on home made fruit and veg puree. i use bananas, strawberries, papaya, honey dew, broccoli, etc. a friend recommended adding some soaked flax seed - omega 3 and 6. I have quite a bit of flax seeds left over. Let me know if you'd like to have them. can give them to you.
happy feeding!

hippo2002
i know it's tough living in your elder siblings shadow. i grew up that way. my elder sis was the brainy one, in fact, so was my younger brother. i was the only dumb-dumb in the family. this fact was unceasingly drummed into my mind since i started school and coming home with red ink splattered all over my report book! it was only much later, that i was able to step out and be myself. i was adamant that i would never do the same course as my sis!

i hope your younger girl can quickly realise her own worth, and be more confident. it is quite sad that they have to feel they are not better than their siblings. maybe you can also tell her about what you like about her, with no reference to her elder sister. then she can focus on her strengths than concentrate on comparing herself to her sis. poor girl!

Hi Woofwoof,
Glad to hear from another mummy in the same constituency. I started tried Heinz Plain Rice Cereal on my boy. But now his is mainly on porridge (2 meals). Maybe, i am lucky as my boy takes everything that we feed him. He is tumzha like his parents.
kao_sticktongue.gif

Cowandchick
My boy's fever on and off. More rashes seem to pop out. The doc gave me some solution to mix with his bath water to cleanse him. She said as he is still alert and active, no need to panic. But seeing him so gankor, feel heartpain leh. She gave us till Wed to monitor his condition, by then have to go back to her if fever still above 39'C. Touchwood, hopefully later miracle will happen.
sad.gif

Pbtgal

there is a virus going around. My BIL's daughter hospitalised, coughing non stop

did you try 'leng liang' ? my mom always ask me to use it if fever kept recurring. her thoery is body is too heaty, so need to cool it

Back