Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

tam

interesting color to use in the kitchen. wat makes u choose this color? i like the wall part. looks easy to clean! i did not change my present house kitchen tiles cos was having a tight budget. hubby and myseld did not like those "undulating" prints which attracts dust. not easy to clean too. love yours. but dunno when will i be able to shift again..... love the present location cos it is the most convenient out of the 3 places i have stayed

mumusings

i am using pd doors for both my toilets and shower area. the improved version is better than my present one as the catch at the latch and the slding part is better now. mine got alignment problem after a while. very useful in shower area as my common toilet is pretty small. the slide and swing concept gives me the space to do washing. wanna pop by bishan to take a look? heehee free showroom for u

btw there is another sister company(cannot remember the company name) but i will still go back to the original PD door if i need to replace the old ones.

Thanks for the review, Helen!

I like everything at home to be neat and preferably out of sight. At the moment the kid's railway system is almost taking up 1/2 a room plus cycling space within living room. Hb and I have decided that if we do ever renovate I'll have the living room very bare (TV mounted + big sofa + above-head cabinets)so that I don't have to fear kid banging into the displays/console etc.

These are details one will never think of before having kid(s)... I'm already very neat but starting to feel that things are getting messier visually.

Tamarind, you using songcho stainless steel products too
happy.gif
They are really hardy and of good quality. Not like some brand which claims to be stainless steel but will rust after a while.
Love the pink. Very modern.

Hi Tam,

Thats a very funky colour for your kitchen. Like the Hi-Mac tabletop and also the bathroom door. But, my hb is not in favour of glass door as my kids are still young.
The ID also strong recommends that we get Songcho storage pdts for our kitchen.

Hi Mumusings,

I also asked the ID we are dicussing with to cater for overhead cabinets in the study room and my daughters' room to create more storage space without clustering.

Hi Snowball,

Song Cho racks are good but there's a danger of over-cluttering 'cos u can add more and more racks to the rails
happy.gif
My mom wanted to change to minimalistic look and then now it's back to square one 'cos she ended up placing everything out along the 3m kitchen top for convenience!

Let us know how your renovations go, especially the overhead cabinets. At the rate my kid is going (cycling, banging into stuff and building different systems), we're really likely going to just have a 3-seater, some kind of long dining table + long bench tucked beneath and everything else overhead. Will still keep the 3rd room as a store room or else there'll be no space for our own things in time to come. Good to have spare room 'cos when guests come over, we have space to accomodate stroller, bike and the bulky kiddy stuff. Also to force ourselves to not over-stock unnecessarily.

Hi mommies,
Thanks for all your comments :)

poohy,
The kitchen wall is covered with ceramic tiles. The new range of ceramic tiles look like very modern.
S has a queen size seahorse bed too ?

aa,
The bed is from seahorse. Ikea also has a solid pine queen size bed at about $100, but it does not feel as sturdy as the seahorse bed.

pink gerbera,
Pink is my favourite color ! I also guessed that you like pink from your nickname
happy.gif

My hubby almost never goes into the kitchen. Actually I always wanted a pink kitchen. This is actually my 3rd kitchen already, the first is boring wood veneer, the second kitchen from Ikea is red because they did not have pink.

mumusings,
My hubby did not object because he can easily ignore the kitchen since he does not use it. I spent a total of $30K on the renovation of kitchen, toilets, and 4 bedrooms. Perhaps your mom's kitchen cabinets are of better quality ? My cabinets are custom made by my contractor, not sure how long the cabinets will last.

The seahorse bedframe is sturdy and is made of solid pine. There are a total of 6 legs, with 2 legs in the middle of the bed. I do recommend the Besglas doors for your balcony, they have shatterproof glass http://www.besglas.com/

Helen,
I love pink ! I think that pink is an appetizing and cheerful color.
I like my kitchen wall tiles very much. However, the floor tiles are a boring sand color. I actually wanted orange or pink floor tiles to go with the cabinets but could not find such tiles. BTW, I have red kitchen cabinets and orange floor tiles in my old flat hahaha Unimaginable right ?

Sophia,
I have been using songcho for over 5 years. I actually moved the songcho trays from my old house over to the new house and they look as good as new. The staff at the Songcho shop told me that if the trays rust, I can exchange for new ones.

snowball,
Actually I had a hard time choosing a suitable color for the kitchen top to go with my pink cabinets. My first choice was arctic white which I think will look nice with pink. Then I was worried that a white kitchen top will be difficult to maintain, so I changed it to this oatmeal color last minute. My advise is to use either LG HI-MACS or Corian, its worth the extra cost. The other brands are not as good.

Hi Tam,

My mom's kitchen is also made by contractor. She used granite top and bought fittings from various shops. I looked at her bill breakdown and she was clearly very blur to allow certain expenses to be marked up for just one-long row of kitchen top plus sink at the extreme end (the usual long hdb kitchen).

I like the neat look of besglas doors. We use Song Cho too and definitely better than other brands. One time I bought something that was supposed to be stainless-steel but it turned darkish, mouldy and rusted WITHIN the cabinet. I hate be shortchanged (especially when the rack was around the same price as song cho).

Agree with the point on kitchen tops. From experience (and also from observing other homes), Corian, LG, granite or marble. If not, just the usual laminates. No point paying for sub-quality solid surface 'cos they darken and scratch more easily. Unless no cooking is to be done and kitchen is to be kept as showroom, better to get good quality kitchen top. How much is the LG solid surface per foot fun now?

It's so enjoyable co-ordinating renovations -- I absolutely love reading up, drawing floor plans and learning about materials. Hahahah...I ever once thought of changing line to study interior design and help co-ordinate renovations at one point of time! Tedious and vexing dealing the the men (contractors) but well worth it when u see a place transform from a state of mess into a home. For usually non-mechnanical/maths/science ppl like me, the only way to learn more about technical stuff is to learn during renovations. Better than not knowing what the money is spent on (what I used to be).

Hi Tam/ Mumusings,

My ID strongly recommended that I use Granite table top as it is original stone. Granite, according to her, is in between Hi Mac and Quartz. But, setback is, it only comes in Black colour which I am not in favor as I prefer light and cheery colour. Trying to work with her to mix and match the bright colours for my kitchen cabinet to match the granite tabletop colour.

I am meeting her for the 4th time to get the quotation for our renovation right before we finally decide what to do and what not to do (due to limited budget we have).

Currently, this ID we are working with is very accomdative and helpful so far to keep things within our budget. We got her thro' my sister's friend's recommendation. Will share with you all when our final product is out (the renovated house!) once we finalise everything.

Hi Tam - I visited the Besglas website....really liked their doors for our washrooms and also kitchen entrance....Will try to convince my hb to use this doors.

Hi Snowball,

Black granite is very safe choice 'cos all stains are absorbed! You can get the one with gold specks. Match it with a lighter shade of laminates for cabinet and walls + cheer up with colourful utensils! My mom was initially hesitant to get black top but now relieved 'cos it makes everything look 'neater'. White walls will always turn off white according to my friend who's an architect. So based on his advice, my mom did everything in white-ish shades to enlarge the feel of the space + put warm ceiling lights so that the look is not so stark/sterile.

Yes, do share your contact. So hard to find honest contractors who will match budget. The ones I've met are the super biang types who will suggest
1 Hacking off walls
2 Making partitions
3 Build-in this and that
4 Laminate floor
5 Quote ridiculous prices for simple ceramic tiles

Cheaper to go get tiles yourself and just pay for hacking/waterproofing/tiling/acidwash 'cos they factor in commission from tile dealers to the contractors!

Example: My friend wanted granite tiles for toilet. Quotation came up to S2500 for EACH toilet floor (NOT EVEN THE WALL)'cos "granite very expensive". She went to a granite/marble place and found out that toilet granite/marble tiles are THIN and cost no more than S$20 a piece. Add 30% for breakage/spares, each toilet needs around 35 tiles MAXIMUM. The shop even gave 10% off so came up to S$630. In the end she paid only for the tiling/hacking (around S$2000 for 2 toilets). 100% savings.

Another tip from my friend:
Epoxy the walls instead of hacking/retiling. If the original tiles have no cracks, coating the tiles is alot cheaper than hacking and retiling. They can cover up grooves/holes too + easy to clean. I think to epoxy entire kitchen and toilets walls is around S$2000. You can get renovations completed sooner too!

Agree withmumusings regarding the solid surface tops. I used white solid surface in my previous house as advised by the id and regretted it. It tuned yellow especially the areas near the sink and places exposed to direct sun. Now I insisted on using granite and no regrets this time.

Hi Sophia/Snowball,

Exactly! A relative had her light coloured solid surface top turned patchy yellow within 6 months. Same with homogeneous tiles.

Marble/granite can be re-polished/cut/reused if I'm not wrong 'cos one of my friend's mom sent an old large stained marble top and kitchen counter top for repolishing. What they did was to hack out and replaced cabinets 'cos of termites. For the table, they ordered a steel structure for a modern clean-cut look. Spare, sawn off slabs were further cut to use for build-in toilet shelving for toiletries above the basin(like those in the hotels). Truly amazing what they did to all the marble at home because re-ordering new marble would have come up to thousands. Hehehe that's why even the good old prata shops still use marble slabs for preparation of dough!

This is a very informative thread. Lots of useful and interesting stuff!
Personally, I think women make good project managers, we multi-task well and pay attention to details.
However, there is the downside of dealing with local contractors, especially the Phua Chu Kang ones.
It is important to research and know the market prices well before embarking – seems like a few mummies here are really knowledgable.

There is a BBC programme called ‘Grand Designs’ which is about people in UK buying very old property or land and then build their dream homes from scratch. These range from castles to big glass houses. These projects takes months, some even years! My hubby and I really enjoy watching it.

pink gerbera: me too. Love watching that programe. Really envy the people in the show with all that space and like they have no budget to their design. Saw the episode over the weekend, by golly the whole house is huge for just the three of them and the amount of space inside and out...... drooling.........

Hi Mumusings/ Sohpia,

Thks for the info on kitchen tabletop. Hmmmm...looks like better to choose Granite as recommended by the ID.

So far, the costings worked out is still within our budget.

On flooring - I also learnt from the ID that sometimes, cracks on wall tiles/ floor tiles are due to earth movement (due to construction, etc) and has got nothing to do with poor contractor's worksmanship. So, its purely luck.

My living hall has about 4 floor tiles with hairline crack. We are thinking to overlay the entire flooring with laminate flooring to save cost and also hassle of hacking and relaying of tiles/ parquet and also to save hassle of having problems of facing cracked flooring in future.

Tho' tedious, I am actually enjoying this process of working with the ID to redo our house. Next in line once we have confirmed the reno details is to find a place to shift for 3 mths....another challenge as there will be lotsa packings and throwing away of really unwanted stuff.

We plan to do this within this year, before my DD1 starts P1 next year....will be challenging

snowball: I had laminate done for my first house and I love it. Personally I find it easier to maintain than parquet flooring. Nowadays, the quality for laminate is so much better and so many colors and design to choose. Just be careful with the water when mopping. Otherwise, the maintenance is really easy.
I stayed with my mom for 5 months while waiting for my reno to be completed and rented a storage space to store my stuff. Even that, had lots to move.
Good luck to your reno.

Hi mommies,

Good morning!
Since the recent topic is on renovation ... just to get some views or feedbacks.

My current parquets, especially near the windows or places that got a lot of sun, are protruding and can even cut the legs.

One option is to redo all the parquets floor but contractor told me I must move out for at least three weeks. They need three weeks to take out the current parquet, do the new parquet, polish and clean the house.
Really need that long? So far checked with two contractors and both told me three weeks.

Other than re-do the parquets, what other options I have with regards to "repairing" the current ones? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance ...

Hi Sophia and Pink Gerbera,

TCS 5 used to have those reno,DIY, makeover and house-cleaning shows in the morning and they're very enjoyable to watch.

Hi aa,

Better to prepare yourself for delays just in case of delays. These people will always end up dragging their feet over certain details and hence stalling something else. Better to do a proper reno for parquet 'cos you won't want faults and termites etc. My home (when I was young had parquet) and it was pretty easy to maintain so long as you don't drag things about.

Hi Snowball,

Sophia's suggestion might be worth considering, shifting heavy furniture/non-essentials to storage facility so that ou won't have to shift/unpack.

I love packing so much the dust etc doesn't deter me 'cos it's simply therapeutic knowing some things will go to the incinerator
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hi mumusings,
You can help to pack our books at my old flat ! There are thick layers of dust everywhere. Actually I used to have sensitive nose and will get runny nose when there is dust. Now I learned that this can be cured, and the remedy is to be exposed to lots of dust hahaha I finally got used to it.

I was quite fedup with my hubby, one month after we moved out of the old flat and he still could not clear all his things out of the bedroom. He wants to keep everything, even things from 30 years ago which are completely useless now. I wonder if all men are like that ? I threw away all my old stuff.

My contractor charged me $110 per foot run for the LG.

Hi Mumusings,

In fact, I have lotsa things to throw. My hb (like Tam's hb) wants and like to keep many of his things - CDs/VCDs (old donkey years ones)/ comics/book/ many many gadgets (which he also admits are white elephants) . I want to take this opportunity to throw and throw.

We will also change most of our furniture. We will keep our dining set (still in good condition, just need some varnishing), fridge/ TV. Other than that, all other things will be changed.

Hence, what we pack will be mainly clothings, my kids' toys/ books, many DVDs/ VCDs/ photo albums/ kitchen ware (I have lotsa tupperware stuff :p)

Hi aa - my ID estimate that our house can be ready in about 4 - 6 weeks (if we do overlaying without hacking the living hall and rooms) and needs about 8 - 10 weeks (if hacking is done). So, the rooms flooring might take up ard 2 weeks to complete which I think is the norm.

snowball,
My hubby is recording down every item that he threw away ! Faint... That's why he is taking so long.

For me, I just throw and forget about it.

You need to move your existing furniture out and store them somewhere right ?

Hi Tam and Snowball,

Don't tell your hb it's my idea. This is/was how I used to deal with my parents' trash. Throw some away every other week. They'll never know unless memory is good and they purposely look for the item. WOW... but he's keeping inventory of what he's throwing away?

I have sensitive nose too... after I moved out of my parents' place I no longer have the problem because I've trashed 90% of all my books and documents
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
I hate messy stacks of papers at home 'cos it just makes the environment so un-homely.

I love the fact that my hb doesn't like keeping books etc. Minimal + all stacked into one cupboard and locked away in the spare room. The only things a thief will see upon entering are: many toys, a sofa, TV and shelves with more toys.

Hi All,

Totally exhausted from another lizard-killing spree a while ago. This time Mr L was sleeping under my son's bolster. Horrifying. We flung everything away and out of the room till we caught him trying to act dead. The rest of the story you can guess... terrible death, today's one. NOTE: don't click on link if u can't take pictures of dead lizard and tail: http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2012/04/audacity-of-lizard.html

So MAD with the lizard! Likely doing 3 rounds of laundry tonight 'cos we changed out all bedlinen. Good thing is my son will likely not procrastinate bathing before bedtime and stop playing before sleep. I've warned him before that creepycrawly will sleep with him if he's slightly even perspiring.

I can finally sleep tonight. Caught sight of this stupid thing yesterday at 2am in the kitchen and was wondering when he'll come out again.

Agree with mumusing. Throw some out a little at a time. My hubbi also didn't realise it's gone. When he ask about it, jt act blur....... I've moved house 4 times and each Imelda I throw out junk, mainly his.

Parquet repair: the last time I did for my place didn't have to take three weeks. But certainly must get out of the house, the smell is really overpowering.

you ladies are so funny! heeheehee

mumusings now u r also expert in lizard killing loh! yes it is pretty frustrating seeing all these yucky things in the house!

tam
i am the one keeping things. my hubby is the one who will part with anything he finds not useful. i jokingly asked him: will u throw me away once i am old and not useful???

me too have terribly sensitive nose and have never got use to dust. every time i change bedsheets, i need to put on mask and turn on the vacuum. bad huh?

today just did my aircon servicing. didn't realised i had the last servicing a year ago! technician discovered my aircon unit in a bad state. now keeping my fingers crossed hoping the aircon will not break down otherwise $$$ again. am planning to get a new fridge as the present one is giving me prob: close the lower compartment door, the top freezer door opens. now that my gals know how to open the fridge door, I cannot but have to change. the technician said the model i have is 2006 and spare parts need to be shipped in which takes 4 to 6 weeks. geez dunno how many times my freezer will be "sweating". any recommendation of good brands? the present one i have is Hitachi and the door gasket is not strong

re: sensitive nose

Yeah, I have that too, since I was a kid. Recently went with parents to 拜清明 and I've to cover my nose with a hankerchief throughout, forgot to bring a mask lah. Giddy after that, due to lack of oxygen!

re: throwing stuff out

nobody throws anything away! My hubby & kids are rubbish collectors. I would throw stuff away but my kids would yell at me for disposing their 'treasures' without asking for their permission

Hi Helen,

Symptoms of fridge-kaput: http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2010/09/home-mumusings-36-buying-only-what-we.html and http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2010/09/home-mumusings-38-my-new-fridge.html Not worth repairing if parts will cost more than S$100. We should have thrown away ours earlier 'cos meats got contaminated while we were in-between choices. The Sharp we got works well. These days appliances are inexpensive and plenty. Mustafa and Gain City have good bargains. These days I simply go with my budget and ignore the brand so long as it's not something that sounds dodgy (name).

Hi Sophia,

Good for u! I find that the invisible-way of throwing away old stuff works better than making a deal out of trashing in case of disputes. I would tell my mom: "Don't ask me where - I didn't even know there were old xxx in the storeroom..." Subsequently, I created a new excuse, "Colleagues needed stuff for charity so I donated some xxxx away hope u don't mind..." The charity thing works well with my mom 'cos she's always saying that she's waiting for right opportunity to give away old items!

I find that the new fridges these days are actually quite small even though the capacity is large. My family eats tons of fruits and veges and I cannot find a fridge with a large vege and fruit compartment. In the end I have two fridges with small capacity at home. Hopefully these two will last me as long as my previous one which has found a new home at my moms'.

Hi Sophia,

It's more economical to get 2 fridges. Also can separate types of foods. One of my aunt bought an industrial freezers (top-open) to store frozen foods 'cos her kids are big meat eaters + fridge for drinks, fruits, veg and condiments.

If there are no space constraints, ideal to have 2 fridges. My Samsung fridge looks big but the freezer compartment is ridiculously small.
Most of the time, its jam-packed to the brim because we only have to do 1-2 big grocery shopping per week.

Also, refrain from shifting or moving fridges around as they spoil easily after that. Was also told, if in cases like shifting houses, best to wait a couple of hours before switching it on again to avoid breakdowns.

Hi Pink Gerbera,

Yes, I was told to let fridge 'settle' down before switching it on too before. Best to get fridge with less doors and fancy compartments. Those with plain shelving can store more. My mom bought a 'large' 3 door with ice maker and she's always running out of space. Lately the ice-maker went cranky and can't make ice 'cos there isn't an external space to make ice / not freezing enough. Called the dealer and they said will cost quite a lot to repair plus got to wait parts to be shipped over!

hi mummies,

Any way to keep ants away? I realise ants love to migrate into my hse le...previously we hv used the ants 'food' which they will bring back to their nest to kill them off. But after a while they move back again. Haiz

Btw, the water dragon really work hard, nw raining daily and my clothes are so hard to dry!!

hi mumusings
i need a fridge about 300litres and above cos I do buy lots of fruits and veg sometimes. my veg compartment is filled with chinese "bu pin" cos my mum keeps them there. eyeing on a panasonic inverter 2 door fridge which will cost me $800. ntuc xtra delivers for free but there is installation charges and removal of old appliances charges. ridiculous! anyway their service is lousy too. went back to one of the hdb shop at amk. the boss is quite nice. price cheaper, free delivery and disposal too

diana
you can try white vinegar. but ants are "die hard" creatures. teochew calls them "long nose" cos they can "smell" food from miles away. i also see ants running around my house recently. must be the wet weather that drives them into our warm homes.

Hi Diana,

One of the mummies on this thread recommended something from Homefix - ant skiller spray but I can't recall the exact name.

Hi Helen,

I understand the tonics --- hahaha my mom and granny has lots of them too. Used to seeing fridges with plastic bags with all sorts of herbs and Chinese ingredients.

Agree with helen that buying appliances frm those hdb places r cheaper. I got my Panasonic two door fridges from an old neighbor who has a shop. Price was so much cheaper.

Hello mummies,

Looks like the topic is about renovation.

Sorri, off topic here.

Has been guiding ds Eng, noticed that he is not very good in spelling unless its a list that is learnt.

Any tip to improve spelling that is on ad hoc testing?thanks

Thanks and have a great week ahead!

Rgds
Joy

Hi mummies

Reading this thread with interest as I'm about to embark on some reno too. Not much as most of the stuff already came with the house (think I have white kitchen tops...
sad.gif
)

Anyone has contact for reliable and affordable curtain vendor? What about wooden frame balcony doors that can fold and slide all the way to the sides such that you don't see the door when fully opened? Hope I'm making sense heehee

Hi Quinny,

I have a good Curtain maker - Price is reasonable. He brings samples to your house for you to choose. I cannot PM you.

PM me if you are interested.

I got mine frm joo Chiat complex. Don't be misled by the cheap curtains that are ready made hanging outside the shop.They have very good quality samples inside the shop n the price is affordable. Sewing time is also fast. Let me knw if you want then name of shop.

Diana

What i used to do was to wipe the tabletop with vinegar. it does stop the ants for a while but when the smell is gone, they are back!

Hi Helen and Diana,

Ants are really pesty and will come back for all sorts of stuff including non-food.

Helen: Killed another lizard this morning. Really hope we don't meet one every other week!

Mumusings,

You're my idol. I hate lizards but I doubt I will ever have the courage to kill one.

This week has been really eventful. Monday morning, car battery dead. Hubby has to push twins in stroller and walk to nanny's house with our helper - luckily it was within walking distance. While I had to call a cab (which took ages) to ferry #1 to school, and then rush to office.
Luckily, a friendly neighbour help to jump the car and hubby managed to get battery replaced. Cannot imagine if car still not fixed by evening time.

Then, nanny got high fever and cannot take care of twins yesterday so I had to still at home. Spent virtually the whole day trying to be wrestling umpire. My youngest is very aggressive and sometimes attacks the sister over nothing. Imagine, one minute holding toy, next minute smacking her on the head with it. I have to keep an eye on him all the time.
Helper is useless, when I take a toilet break, I send her in to watch over them. I come back to see her staring in space...grrrr!
Today, some sort of normalcy returning.

Oh well, motherhood eh?

Hi Pink Gerbera,

I can't be your 'idol' 'cos I am the one to spot the lizard and hb to whack it. My job is to scream, GPRS the location and prepare the newspaper/shoe/weapon hehehehe... Helen is the true lizard-killer here
happy.gif

Hope your kids are feeling better? Take care! Important thing as parents --- to ensure we don't fall sick ourselves or else it's really chaos and haplessness.

mumusings

hahaha you are so funny! can't rely on my hubby. wat if he is sleeping or not at home? i will have to make it disappear from my home b4 it escapes and have bb somewhere!!!!same goes for roaches!

Hi Helen,

I quit whacking roaches at 5 years old after I saw what comes out of their crusty bodies yeeks... and also one crawled over my neck when i was asleep. Seriously I just scream, point, bundle my son up the sofa, GPRS the creature(s) and prepare weapon hahaha...

I don't mind lizards that stare at me and not move. Not those who charge at me or do a u-turn towards belongings and furniture. The scariest thing that's ever happened was a kamikaze cockroach that went at me when I was mugging for the A levels one night. To this day, I fear the crispy beat of cockroach wings and their scurrying. Also their stench!

Hi all,

Am so glad I picked up a copy of Chicka Chicka abc by chance at the library. After all the leapfrog etc which didn't work at all for small letters, this simple book worked in 30 minutes!

Whew... my hb read it twice and the kid got all the small letters right. Now the kid is crazy over this book because of the ego-boost haha. We've read it 10 over times now.

Those with toddlers should try out this series! ISBN number and details here: http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2012/04/chicka-chicka-abc.html

Hi mumusings,

My daughter used to love chicka chicka boom boom too, after her Nursery teacher showed them the video in class. You can check youtube for the video - very nice song too!

hi there
does any of u happens to hv a maid to let go?
i am helping a single mum to look for a maid.
her baby will be due this jul.
thanks.

Back