Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Hippo2002,

ya, the doc said that my son gana virus attack, that's y rashes. In fact, she said she had been treating bb with fever case way before we went. Wat is 'leng liang'? Agree, my bb boy's need to 'cool' down.

hippo, if i could be a SAHM i would, but right now it's just not financially possible even tho my HB's earning ok. we had to care for his sick mum who had liver cancer, then the baby was born and had to have surgery immediately, then i had to have surgery so the bills have pilled up!! sooner or later i hope i can quit work and do some small things on the side instead. I'm at a position now where I don't really need an MBA, but it would look good in the resume. My current company doesn't really promote based on that (so far) so if i stay in my current company no need really but if i want to move in the future, maybe...

pbtgal: just monitor his condition and make sure you check his temp regularly!

re: solids, just a tip, i've used the Anabel Karmel books for my daughter and I find it very useful. My 16 mths daughter can eat most adult food now but without salt or msg. Her recipes are also very easy to follow!

feeding bb solid,
thanks all mummies for their advices. i just ordered the Super Baby Food book from the BP... heard some good reviews, so decided to buy.

now, bb coming 6.5 mth... think want to try vege like spinach; will let him try fish after he turns 7 mth.

pbtgal, yr boi can take porriage?? i haven't try leh. can add marmite into the porriage??

Woofwoof

Ya, my mil boils the porridge over slow cooker till very soft. To make the porridge tastier, she will make the soup base with lean meat and 2 cubes of dried scallop and then the boiled soup base over the rice in the slow cooker. Marmite not recommended as salt content very high leh. When my son's appetite is good, he can usually finish a rice-bowl of porridge.

Patsy
When to get the Anabel Karmel books? So, the recipes suitable for asians too? Must admit leh, i cant cook well so wanted to know more.

Hey I am really happy to spot this thread as i am 36 yrs old this year and my princess is only 14 mths.Sometimes when i think of how small my gal is while most of colleague younger than me already have a kid more older then my gal,i will feel so sad and unhappy. Whenever i think of this i can be not happy for the whole day. Sometimes when i think if my gal 10 yrs old then i will be 46 yrs old,will i still have the energy to play and take care of my gal? After saw this thread i get more happy and tell myself not to think too much.

hippo2002, 34 yr old with 2 kids age 5 and 3 is not old to me lei... becos i am 34 yr old with kids age 4 and 16m lei... how can u be mistaken as 'ah ma' dell.... maybe that auntie 'lao hua yen' lah.... must be!

i heard somewhere that a woman will age 10 yr after a child birth so i hv aged 20 yrs oh no! i have diff. losing pregnancy wt after my no. 2. till now i tink i stil hv abt 2kg to lose.

i prefer 2 kids also so when we passed away, they stil hv each other who is closest to them
happy.gif
however my dd seems not much bonding with my ds until lately i saw her hugging him, kissing him, holding his hands and taking care of him etc...

Hi All

Like reading this thread as I believe we are all matured mummy....Not saying young is not ...but we age with wisdom...

Many a times, when I shared my child up bringing experience with the younger mums, they do not really buy it...

For me, I am quite a kia si mum....I do not bring my baby out unless really necessary....More on immunity issue....

I do not like to give my baby erratic nap hours too as I believe if a baby has got proper rest, just like we adults, will have a happier mind...

Not sure how you mum thoughts like, probably can share here?

hi hi... this thread is interesting...
cowandchick, so u're into sewing... me too, i've only managed to sew two pillows, three bolsters and a patch-work blanket for my baby gal now abt 14mths....
Tried to sew a dress for her, but got not much time... :-(

pbtgal-Zan ,

I do have two Anabel Karmel books, ordered through her online website...
the recipes are not bad, but at times i'm afraid that it may not suit the body-makeup of asians...

hi esh mummy. haven't been sewing for a while now coz 2 kids take up most of my time. i also started with sewing pillow and bolster cases for my girl when she was young. then realised how useless i was. took classes at spotlight. they used to have sewing classes, simple ones from paper patterns. then could make pretty dresses for my girl as she grew older. can share some with you if you like. but gotta wait til my boy settles down at his childcare.

pbtgal
hope your bb is better, it is so worrying when they fall sick. not to mention the sleepless nights. Tho my boy has recovered quite a bit, still coughing and runny nose, and is very, very sticky to me. so hard to do anything. pulling my arm now as i type.

hi rainbow
agree with you, better get kids on schedule. but i can only try. not always successful leh. sigh. i really marvel at those mums who can maintain that with their kids. And yes, they do have a less stressful time than i do! how do you do it?

Noelle, don't be sad. we're only as old as we think we are! so, be young at heart. Don't worry, as your girl grows older, you'll be younger, as you start to enjoy doing things together. My girl is now 10, and we do lots together. this morning we went on the Duck Tour. she loved it. and we quacked our way home! going for Singapore River walk on Thursday! see, when your kid's older, you'll have more fun, not merely looking after them!

i have AK's Superfoods for toddlers and babies. bought from Page One @ Vivo City. it's quite informative on how to prepare and store the food.

Noelle
In the beginning i had the same feeling with you but i am more on the worrying part - worry that energy not enuff, money not enuff, blah blah.. But now i learn to take things easy as day goes by. Luckily, i have frens with similar condition.

Cowandchick
U never fail to make me laugh. My boy's better now but still worrisome about his fever, on and off. This morning temp taken 38.4'C but dropped to 37.8'C @ around 7pm, i feel much relieved. His rashes also diminish quite abit after bathing in the medicine given by the doc. Will monitor closely. Ya, another sleepless nite agn.... But luckily, i off 2moro.

Esh Mummy,
do u still have the online add for AK's books? May try to get one. Thx in adv.
wink.gif

pbtgal - i got mine from Borders or Kinokuniya i think... if you want i can show you first then you can decide if you want to buy

Esh_mummy, yah the recipes are a bit ang moh.. i just vary it to suit asian tastes. that said i try to give my daughter varied meals so she enjoys different cuisines! she eats most stuff except anything sweet or black!

am in BKK on biz so really miss my DD
sad.gif

Jessica,

The brand name is Yoplait Miam (for bbs and also for kids) and they are available at major supermarkets, unless they are OOS.
They come in plain vanilla and fruity flavours.
For bbs esp coz they still need whole milk, one needs to look for the ingredients which contain 'whole milk'.
Of course, if one can make your own all the fresher and better. Can add in your own toppings like freshly cut/pureed fruits, cereals, flaxseed oil etc.

cowandchick
As I am a SAHM, so things are very much control. My boy will never fail to nap from 1.30pm to around 3.30pm...His schedule is regular and I never try to upset it...Bad is that if I bring him to travel, it will make him a very unhappy baby....I just cancelled my recent trip with him and will wait till he is much older than fly again....

At time, I kind of regret for planning two kids at such a wide age gap as its tiring on my part...but, I tell myself, the only consolation is probably my younger kid is less prone to sick as the older one already by pass the building immunity stage....

Oh yes, miracle, I try yoplait miam on my 19 mths old baby, he prefers to ski brand.How often you feed your child and what quantity?

pbtgal-Zan (pbtgal)
Good to know that your child is recovery well...Fever is really part and parcel of growing up.Few months back, my baby was fever up to 41 deg and refused to be sponge...I rushed him to KK hospital but was not admitted as it was not at a constant high but its sure high enough to scare me off....

Any baby here is on the way to MMR jab?I kept delaying the jab cos I wanna baby to be more ready in terms of health. He had rashes that is recurrent and my big discovery is that maid did not wash the cloths properly. Found out when I re soaked the cloths and the water turned cloudy....that is soup powder not rinsed out...sigh.....

Sewing for hobby
esh_mummy & cowandchick, good to see mummies who like to sew. i used to sew bed covers and pillow cases for my DS also. that was when i was preggie and on temp jobs, so work load not heavy. eversince, he was born, i never seem to have time to do anything. my life revolves around him after working hours. i would definitely love to do more complicated sewing projects than pillow cases. hope to take up sewing classes. any good teachers around??

getting BB into routine
i am a working mum and DS taken care by MIL while i at work. i dun probe that much into how she takes care of him as long as his health and safety not at stake.. as i can see that she needs some freedom on how things are to be done. but everytime i try to 'fish' some info about how's bb schedule for the day... his routine seem erratic... as he just started solid, his daily feed of cereal seems to be at diff timing everyday. try to talk to her b4 but still the same. sigh....

Wow so many posts !

cowandchick,
I thought Ah Por is in Cantonese ? Hokkien also the same ?

As for interest, all my time after work is spent with the kids ! I am thinking of learning baking, but have to try to find time.

Great that your girl is in a mainstream school, yes it is important to have normal socializing and integration into society. I think you are a very strong and loving mommy, I can understand that the stress on you must be tremendous.

Jessica,
Yes cruising is great for babies and mommies. I brought my boy to cruise when he was only 5 months old, no problem at all. I wouldn't want to bring such a small baby to take airplanes too.

You like pink too ! Hmmm...do you think it is OK for an almost 40 year old woman to wear pink ? hehehe that's me !

Re: will it be safe for me to carry my son around like i do now
My girl was only 17 months old when my boy is born. I still remember when I was heavily pregnant, I had to carry my 15 kg girl to sleep, really back breaking ! I guess it's better for you to use the stroller when going out, it's not too good for a pregnant woman to carry heavy stuff, especially if your son is more than 10 kg.

Re: Hubby hands-on
If I let my hubby take care of the kids, he would probably feed them coke and chocolate for meals. It's not that he don't want to help, he wants to help, but he wants to do things his way.

pbtgal-Zan,
Hope your boy is OK now. My boy got bronchitis over the weekend, was coughing and panting heavily. I put him on the nebulizer, he is much better now.

hippo2002,
Re: different level of capability
My brother was called "Math genius" in school, he got perfect scores and went on to get his PhD in Physics at Cambridge University. My whole life has been living in his shadow, worst was my mother telling me, I am as smart as him, I just have to be more hardworking. I ended up doing badly in university.

I am determined not to compare my 2 kids. My girl is very good at recognizing shapes, letters and numbers, and has very good fine motor skills at a very young age. My boy is not as good in these aspects, now at 2.5 years old, he still cannot hold a pencil properly, and I find that he is stammering sometimes. But to me, both of them are special, and I try my best to let them know that I love them equally.

Re: Sewing
Me too used to like to sew. Anyone can recommend a good sewing machine ?

pbtgal-Zan (pbtgal) - tink u may want to take a look at the books b4 contemplating to get one for urslf...
if u want we can meet up sometime with other mummies hehe... :)

Hi Rainbow, my ds took his MMR + chicken pox in Feb when he's 15m+.

It's great to hv fix nap time but my ds doesn't slp alot wan since bb's time (except 1st 2 wks). Your boy oni took 1 nap? My gal and bb boy are with the nani for wkdays and with us during wkends so timing wise not v.consistently in a way. ds will usu. wake up at 7am+ on wkends and will nap once oni at ard 11am+ or 12pm for abt average 1-2 hrs and that's all for the day until he slps at nite at ard 9pm+. Sometimes he will take a short 15-30mins nap at ard 4pm+ or 5pm+.

41 deg fever sounds reali scary.... temperature taken from armpit? my dd highest 39.9 from armpit and i almost die worrying...

Oh dear, ask yr maid not to use too much detergent. Else rinse 1 more x. I am stil using baby detergent kodomo for both my kids.

hi woofwoof, i agreed with you that it's diff. to implement 'routine' when bb is being taken care of by some1 else. i dun reali ask my nani abt their timing in details also, esp now she's taking care of my no. 2 liao.

Happy cow
Yap, that fever was really scary...at one stage, he turned blue...

Thanks, has asked maid to rinse the cloth one more time.
Agreed, its hard to implement routine if we have someone else to take care of the kids. At one stage, mil was with me and she said ,baby will know when to sleep and eat, why routine and so much into books, read dead book (in hokkien)...Of course, she told that to my confinement nanny and not me...

Thank goodness, after this maid, she is no longer here in my house...

Thanks to all mummies! My boy's fever finally gone but now coughing quite badly and the rashes still stick stubbornly to his body. But hb and i very relieved to see that his temperature normal and behaving like b4 - active and cant sit still. Glad that his little body out of the heat finally.

Esh Mummy and Patsy
Ya, perhaps all mummies from this thread can meet up can share our 'ku yu le' taking care of our little darlings.

Patsy
Oh no, i know how it is like. Last week i fell sick and my in-laws came to fetch my son to their place so as to give me a break, though its such a short period of time, my heart still ache when they carried him away from me. How long will u be away?

Esh Mummy,
Thanks. But it's over my budget leh. I am looking for one which is about $200 but good quality.

Patsy,
You are away on business now, so your maid is taking care of your child at home ?

pbtgal-Zan,
Ya ya it would be nice to have meet up, count me in !

Rainbow,
I am lucky that my mother follows a strict routine with my kids, in fact, she is more strict than me. But with MIL it is difficult to make her do what we want.

Hi Tamarind, try the brand 'brother'. i got 1 from courts and the px is $199 if i remmbr correctly :p

Purpose was to do quilt blanket but so far hvn't accomplish 1... did other sewing jobs tho'...

Wow so much to catch up on.

tamarind
the first time i left hubby to take care of 2 yr old daughter, he had no trouble at all. but he refused to tell me abt his day wif his girl. smelling a rat, i fished some info fr my girl. like you said, he gave her MacDonald's for lunch, and ice cream for snack! How convenient!

I used to have a Singer sewing machine too, but found it not very good with thicker materials. It's precision and timing for stitches also tend to go haywire after a while. Brot it for servicing a few times at Singer service shop. Even the technician says there's nothing they can do about it. So I traded it in for a Pfaff. It's a German made machine, and can withstand really heavy duty sewing. Even denim materials. Made bags, overalls, etc for my girl. Because parts are not plastic, more durable! But the price is higher than Singer. I paid abt 1k for it. but no regrets, is able to last at least 20 yrs or more!

rainbow
wished i was more disciplined like you. i also SAHM, but cannot get kids on routine. First girl failed, thot going to be better wif boy. still the same. I not very good at that! Is it too late now? he's 22 mos. Any tips? sigh

i phobia abt taking my boy's temp. I freak out everytime. so i only use my hand. If too hot then freak out. if not, take medicine and watch. he used to dislike being sponged too, then i read somewhere that shouldn't use cold water to sponge. it shocks the body, and blood vessels constrict bec of cold, won't help in bringing temp down. should use slightly warm water! when i do that, didn't protest so much!

pbtgal
It'll be such a great idea if we could meet up one day! Anyone?

Esh_Mummy, happy_cow,
Okie will check that out.

cowandchick,
My hubby also likes to feed the kids french fries from McDonalds, sigh...

Okie will take note of Pfaff, if I can afford to buy a better machine in future.

How you take your boy's temperature ? I use the ear thermometer, quite easy leh.

When my boy got fever, I would feed him Nurofen, alternate with Panadol, quite effective. Nurofen brings down the temperature very quickly, don't need to sponge at all.

pbtgal/cowandchick: surely! as long as i'm in town and no guests (my folks come over to visit their only grandchild every other month)

tamarind: yah, and her daddy, my hb is very very hands on, he can feed her (proper food too, he will heat up and cook it himself), bathe her, change her etc... ever since the baby was young he would wake up for the night feeds (expressed BM), he cooks, mops the floor and irons too :D but no choice, have to work, and my work really have to travel... guess i'm lucky my maid and my hb helps a lot

Hi Patsy...
Think we're really lucky to have a hb who can help out...
Baby Eshley is taken care of by mil, but this one week, mil is on Hongkong trip, hence my hb took leave for a week to take care of Eshley while i'm at work. :)

I'm really so thankful... so he'll also cook for her lunch n dinner, n bathe her and coax her to sleep... on weekends he'll help with moping floor, washing clothes, ironing, etc etc...

need to thank God for him....

I think most daddies are like what you mum described...same goes for my hubby and I have to scream at him at the top of my voice.....Now, he is better but I still do not trust him taking of my kids...

For routine wise, I will put him in more or less the same timing and he got used to it.So, whenever after shower, he know it will follow by nap time.

Beofe sleep at night, I will clean him up and it follows by milk and he goes to sleep....

I guess boy is more difficult to handle than gals....

esh_mummy, yah, really lucky, but i did tell him from the very beginning the house is OURS, not just mine, so he has to do his share of work! hehehe my sister says i trained him well from the start!! but i think it's also up to the guy himself if he's willing to help out. My hb had no choice in the beginning also coz i was on the road 250 days of the year! he had to do the stuff in order to survive
happy.gif

Rainbow,

When our ds was 5mths old, he was taking 1 tiny tub each time. Now that he is 3yo, he can take 2 tiny tubs at a time. We've tried other brands, but looks like he still prefers Yoplait Miam.

Patsy

Agreed with u that strawberries may cause allergy..

Hey, what other fruits do you mum feed your little one....

Any toddler here is around 20mths....or has a kid that is in primary school?I am coping two kids that are of this age gap.....

With the older one, I was very easy going when she was baby....but with this second one, maybe know a bit more, tend to be more careful with his diet etc....

Patsy,
You are lucky to have a hubby who can help. As for me, I got no choice but to depend on 2 maids.

Rainbow,
My boy is coming to 30 months, my girl is almost 4 years old.

Want to check with you, how do you train your older child not to wear diapers when sleeping ? At what age do you start training ? My girl still needs to wear diapers when she sleeps, don't know how to train her.

patsy
great to have a hands on hubi/daddy. my hubi help out alot also as we hv no other help available.

rainbow
my boy is 16m+ and my elder gal is 4 yr 2 mths attending nursery at a church. both cared for by the same nani - more convenience in terms of logistics.

tamarind
read that yr son attended zoophonics at jr west - stil attending? i hv enrolled my dd into a new class that will start in apr (min 3 to start the class but so far my dd the oni confirmed student).

i started to train my dd at ard 2 yr old+ or maybe close to 3 yr old i tink as she's off diaper for the day when she's slightly over 2 yr old so the timing shd be abt there.

is yr dd's diaper usu. wet when she woke up in the mrng?

we let her slp w/o diaper (clear her bladder before she slps and shh shh her at 12am+). my fren taught me to put plastic sheet and towel on her bottom. i bought a sheet that is plastic material below (waterproof) and cotton material on top (to absorb). i dun use the sheet anymore for months i tink.

tink my dd's bladder is stronger as my fren's gal usu. will need to wake up to shh 1 more x middle of the nite.

Tamarind
I trained my gal around two years old by letting her wear pull up when she sleep at night. I guess when she able to talk and understand , its easier to teach them.Maybe you can keep telling her if she wants to pass urine at night, she has to wake up and go toilet....you will be surprised that they picked up very fast....

Is your boy at the age of 30mths easy to take care ?Asking you this as my maid contract will end when my boy is 30mths then. He is super active and with lots of strenght till I cannot beat his strenght...gal is easier...not sure you experience this....I am able to take care of my gal alone then with no help but now is no way for my son....

rainbow, i agreed v.much that boys are more active than gals. 1 coli of mine has the same opinion as me ie. if our 1st born is boy then perhaps we won't consider no. 2 ha ha...

my ds is those type that will stand up on his high chair so we will make sure we buckle him up. now he's better tho' as we make sure he sits down whenever he takes his meals.

now he's trying to climb onto the table. he also will pick up thgs from the flr and put inside his mouth. last time my dd doesn't do such thgs.

This thread is moving so fast nowadays...

Didn't have time to come in for past few days, ds started coughing again last friday and it turned very badly - coughing through the night since Sunday night, had been busy bringing him to Chinese Physican and the GP every other day. He was still coughing badly last night, just brought him to the GP this morning and was prescribe antibotics and change of cough and phlegm medi.

cowandchick
I really envy your positive attitude.

hippo2002
Yes, my boy attending pre-nursery at MRC. We talked before at the MRC thread. Anyway, I had informed them of stopping my boy for the new term. Now I am trying to think of how to fight to get my deposit back since I didn't give them 1 month notice. The thing is how can I give them 1 month notice when I don't have the intention to stop in the first place, but I didn't have much choice considering the health of ds. If not for ds recurring cough and flu just after attending 2 to 3 lessons every week, I would have definately continue.

Wow your gal very sensitive... actually she can recognise 3 words is an achievement compared to none right? So must praise her for getting 3 words and motivate her to try to get more words next round.

patsy
I am still in the progress of losing weight too. For such rapid weight loss, normally is either through salon or pills.

tamarind
I also like to wear pink...

Singer is the common well-known brand for sewing machine. Talk about sewing machine, I still prefer those old manual type whereby you paddle with your leg to get the machine running.

Happy cow

You bet , you should see the strength in my son...if he want something, he will fight and struggle so hard till he gets it...Other than that, he is tame...

Hey, where did my post go to???!!!

Rainbow
I my elder girl is in P4 this year, and my boy is 22 months! And yes, he is soooo different from his sister when she was his age! Sooooo much energy. Now i really feel old liao!

JasTan
Hope your boy gets better soon. Mine still has a bit of cough, but better. I too prefer the old-fashioned type of sewing machine. More solid, metal parts. But hard to find, and few features. The Pfaff I have also only metal parts so strong also. Singer was good, but standard dropped a lot. They have a lot of parts that are plastic, that's why more prone to breakdowns. But i guess if you don't do much heavy duty sewing like i used to, it should be okay still.

Cowandchicken
Maybe partly we are aged and not so much energy to catch up with the little one...

Yours is quite a big gap too?Having going thr all over again in bringing up a bby is quite an experience , right?Do you have any help?

My gal makes me mentally tired and my boy makes me physically tired....basically its two different phases of their growing up...agree?

Tamarind,

i think it's definitely ok for woman of any age to wear pink so long as her heart desires! sometimes i still go into the hello kitty shops to browse and jostle with all the xiao mei meis! :) lots of pink merchandise there!

re : carrying baby when pregnant

i'm afraid that i'll need to carry DS to sleep too when i'm pregnant again, cos this is what we are doing now, other than nursing him to sleep. both very bad habits, i know. i've been reading up on the Baby Whisperer and trying to establish a routine for the past few days.

JasTan,
Hi to another pink lover!

Miracle Bebe,

ok i'll look for it when i do my grocery shopping during the weekend. thanks for the tip!

admire you ladies who can sew. the only thing i can manage to sew is a button :)

Silly question to all mommies,

if you have nursed/rocked your baby to sleep in the past, will they eventually learn to fall asleep on their own when you put them to bed? what's the age when your DS/DD learnt to do so? or is it necessary to sleep train them at some point?

happy_cow,
I plan to let my boy attend Zoophonics until May. My girl is attending Berries at Bukit Batok to learn Chinese, and I find it very good. I intend to put my boy at Berries after he stop Zoophonics.

Yes my girl's diaper is always wet when she wakes up. If we forget to let her wear diaper, she will always wet the bed. I thought of putting the plastic sheet, but find it a hassle to wash bed sheet leh. It's very difficult to wake her up at night to go urine, she hates to be woken up in deep sleep and will scream and cry.

Rainbow,
My girl has always been wearing pull up diapers. Hmmm...may be I will start telling her to go toilet, but she is deep sleeper and may not wake up leh.

In my case, my boy is a lot easier to take care than my girl at the same age. My girl used to be very naughty, and would throw terrible tantrums at around 2 years old. And she is very very strong and difficult to control. It's only when she is more than 3 years old, then she is a lot better. My boy has a much better temper, and easier to control.

Have you considered putting your boy in childcare centre ? If not, you can think of activities for him to do every day. Like you can bring him to the playground or swimming pool and let him use up all his energy. When I am tired of going out, I let my boy ride his tricycle all around the house. My living room is mostly empty, because I have removed most of the furniture, can't stand my kids climbing all over them. Although my girl was super active, she loves to do arts and crafts, and will sit still if I let her do something interesting. My kids like to do water colour painting and playdough. I even started to teach them baking banana muffins. But of course they need very close supervision and it gets very messy.

Jastan,
I remember those old manual types
happy.gif

Jessica,
I like to go Hello Kitty shop too hehehe I just bought a telephone with a hello kitty which has wings, the wings will light up and shake when the phone rings hehehe

I don't carry/rock my girl to sleep when she was a baby. I put her in the bouncer which has wheels, and push her to and fro. At around 15 months, I put her in a bedroom on a mattress. I will pretend to sleep and she would play by herself, until she was tired then fall asleep by herself. My boy learn to sleep on his own before 1 year old.

hi rainbow
The ideal age-gap for me is actually 4 years apart. Unfortunately, i had 2 miscarriages after i had my girl, so ended up with an 8 year gap instead. Still, i am thankful for my #2. He's like heaven-sent!

i am a full-time SAHM, without a live-in maid. I have a part-time maid though, she comes in once a week to help with the ironing. Esp my hubby's shirts. we don't live with either my mum or my in-laws (thank goodness for that), so i'm basically on my own.

Started bringing my boy to childcare, and he's still adjusting to the change. no choice, have to do it coz i need the time for my girl. She has a visual impairment, and i need to go through her school work with her so that she is able to catch-up with her classmates. Having the boy around means i need to take care of him as well, and cannot attend to my girl. then i get so frustrated, i usually blow up my top! poor kids! So, for the well-being of BOTH of them, the boy has to go! it was a painful decision, but we agree that it has to be done. sigh.

You, you have any help? i marvel at the way you're able to take care of your kids. you seem to be able to manage them well. any advice for a struggling mum like me?

cowandchick
Good morning....Am an equally struggling mum though I have a helper....I was having post natal blue during the first six months before I got help....Its terrible....

Guess I was so used to having one kid then and move around so much and able to focus so much on her before the second kid comes along....Actually I prefer to take care of kid who are school goers than baby as I am able to impart what ever I have learned in school and natured them.Sad to say that I have not done my best in my gal.....

Tamarind
I guess sending my boy to childcare is never in my mind as my boy gets sick very often. Just last tues , brought him to east coast beach and he is down with fever since yesterday....His fever can go very high type....now, taking care of him and I have not been sleeping for the whole night....as you mum know, watching themat night is like watching a slow fire pot at night...sigh....

Tamarind
Do you mind sharing with me your fever medicine advice?I was told to alternate it too....My boy legs and hands were so cold last night but fever at 38 after feeding medicine...My girl was so much easier to manage in terms of fever when she was a toddler...thanks

rainbow
we always want to give the best to our kids, but sometimes, it never works out quite the way we want it. Don't be hard on yourself. you've given your girl the best - being there for her when she needs you. i don't think i have done my best for my girl too, but we're coping.

re: sewing
it isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it. the beginning is always the toughest. but if you can piece 2 pieces of cloth together, don't see why you can't do more! anyway, i got my lesson at spotlight. don't know if they still have courses there. the lady i learnt from is Kristy. not sure if she's still there coz last heard from her 2 yrs back, she was pursuing designing course at LaSalle.

re: fever
That 'f' word always brings out the greatest fear in all mums. Me too! While I also have to go through the tiring process of night watching, and sponging, i try to make it a little bit more pleasant with the help of essential oils.
i fill a bowl/basin with warm water (not hot!), and add one drop of lavender and 1 drop of eucalyptus. the lavender helps my boy (and me) to relax, and the eucalyptus helps clear any nasal congestion. more importantly for me, it smells nice, so i don't really mind. my girl and hubby (we all sleep in same room) like the sweet smelling aroma too!

re: sleeping babies
for me, i too used to rock my bbs to sleep. but sometimes, they somehow just don't want to be rocked, and prefer to be put on the mattress. i realise that the more tired they are, the less we need to rock them! they practically put themselves to bed!

Back