Adjunct Teachers mummies

yotheg

Hi mummies,

Any of you are adjunct teachers? Can you help me by giving me some info.
I'm thinking of being an adjunct teacher.
Read up the MOE website but it does not give very detailed info.
I'm wondering what it means by 1/2 workload? Does it mean tt you only work half the hours or what?
And do adjunct teachers need to attend meetings like contact time etc?
Can flexi adjunct choose which sch they want to teach in?
What is the salary for contract adjunct?
Is there any number to call for queries?
Thank you very very much in advance.

Hmm...i think I can help you out..my friend used to be a flexi adjunct. You have to quit from the service. Register yourself as a relief teacher in MOE website and wait for schools to call you. You can't choose the school you want to go to. Meetings: it depends on school P. I heard of a few schools who want their flexi teachers to stay back. You may resign within 24hrs and there is no benefits at all. On sick leave = no pay for that day. If you have to stay back for meetings, you will be paid.

I thought I will post in 2 postings - easier for you to read. Please note that there is no diff between contract and full time teacher. Contract are usually for those who retired and still wants to continue in the service. Pay wise is the same. No point taking 1/2 load according to my friend. In the end you still stay for more then 1/2 load work. Again it is upto P to decide what job duties he wants to give you. Some teachers don't have to do CCA. Maybe you check with your school P? My friend spoke to her school P and realised that no point doing contract.Oh,contract you still get your benefits-bonus, medical etc.

Hope the above info helps.

Thanks, summercove.
I'm a SAHM now.
I thought of going in as flexi adjunct as my daughter is in kindergarten cos i dont want to stay the full school hours cos i want to spend more time with my daughter.
Thought maybe i can work as flexi adjunct in nearby schools.
After reading your comments, i really have to consider carefully cos i cant choose the school!
sad.gif

And it seems that for contract, you have to stay the full school hours.
Thanks so much anyway!!

Hi yotheg,

How about calling the schools up around your place to ask if they need flexi? Maybe they schools have a demand for it but difficult to find. According to my friend, when she gave up being a flexi in one school, she recevied about 3 calls from different schools asking her to be flexi in different areas within Singapore.

That's comforting news
happy.gif

Do you think you can help me ask your friend how they decide the pay for flexi?
Cos the website says the pay per hour is b/w $11-$36.
It's a very wide range.
Do they decide your pay depending on your workload or your qualification?
Tks
happy.gif

Hi hi...good morning....with regards to pay, it depends on your qualifications and number of years in service. She knew of a flexi who was paid $36/hr and she was there only for a few weeks. I guess if the pay is too high, they will also not want to take you in. She could be a masters graduate.

You will not know how much you are paid until you start work. That is when MOE will revert back to the school admin.

Hello,

There is a dearth of experienced teachers in schools. If your teaching subjects are in great demand (eg. language or humanities), you will get calls from schools. Don't worry.

Have been a flexi-adjuct teacher for the past 1.5 years. It has been great. You are paid according to your years of experience and qualification and usually it is rather close to your last take home pay. I like it because now I just teach...need not worry about dept work, sch events to organise & appmt role duties etc!! You can sign up on the MOE online system then upon approval & knowing ur hourly rate, you can email to the Principals of schools of preference to offer your service
happy.gif
Do that between October to November so that schs can plan the deplyment of staff before the year ends.

I have been teaching for 5 years still 1A1. Considering doing flexi adjunct. Anyone can advice on the rough hourly rate? The number of hours is decided by the school right?

Hi pink_007,
u mentioned that for flexi adjunct, they will pay u v close to ur last drawn pay? Usually when will u know the hourly rate given to u? thanks. Would appreciate if you could PM me instead, i wish to learn more about flexi-adjunct.thanks so much

Hi pink_007,

if u r reading this, can u pm me as well?? I tried to pm you but u dun accept pm.

Im also a SAHM like yotheg. And soon will be returning to work. Im also considering flexi adjunct. Maybe i can get more info from you??

So pls pm me if u r reading this. Or anyone else who r currently doing flexi adjunct??

TKS!!

im looking into adjunct too,let5s share more details,Pink how long were u teaching before u quite and also do u work everyday>

the pay rate is confidential. however, i can tell u that it is totally based on your qualification and the number of years you were a teacher. it does not depend on your rank at all. for example, a 1A1 degree holder with 5 years experience will get the same pay as a 1A2 degree holder with 5 years experience. your last drawn pay is not taken into consideration at all.

it is not true that you cannot choose your school. you sign up as a relief teacher on MOE website. once accepted, approach the schools you are interested in to ask about vacancies and interviews. of course if not many schools are interested in you, then you can't really choose your school.

the number of hours, whether you have to attend meeting, whether you need to work everyday etc, will depend on your negotiation with the school. simply put, you can state your terms and they can decide whether to accept. the only thing schools have no control at all is the pay. everything else is negotiable. again, the more in demand you are (or your subject is), the more say you will have with regards to the terms. of course, if you have a lot of terms, you will also find it harder to get a school that is willing to accept you.

you can also try to be a relief teacher first. the pay of a relief teacher is the same as the pay for a flexi-adjunct except there is no bonus at the end of the commitment period and you have no over-time pay.

you can only be a flexi-adjunct teacher if you were previously a MOE teacher. the best way to know your rate would be to ask your friends who are still teachers to ask the general office staff. you only need to tell them your qualification eg, diploma, degree, degree with merit etc and the number of years you were in service and they would be able to tell you your rate. alternative, be a relief teacher for 1 day and you will know your rate.

Hi Jaz,
Thanks for all the information,it is really useful.Can i check with you are you an adjunct teacher or full fledge teachernow?I heard from friends if you are on no pay leave the period of time that u are away is still considered as number of service as long as you have not quit.Is that true?I am so sick of the admin,training,endless mettings,sem and etc.Seems like u only join the forum this year so are you expecting any baby?glad to know u here.

Hi blessed,
The period that u are on no pay leave is not considered to be in service. So total years of service means years that you were actually working. I am quitting and going to be flexible adjunct in 2011 term 2. My principal did advised me against it cos of the paycut. But I am not giving in cos I need to send my girl to Nanyang primary next year. Consider a full time teacher's job, it's hell nowadays. No way I am going to sacrifice my girl's education for the school. They tell me they will let me go when needed, but don't be taken in, I was in the ranking panel n I know, at the end of the day, unless nobody can 'touch' you if u are not a full time teacher, all will try n "kill" you off. It's not fair. So either u continue to be a permanent teacher or quit to be adjunct.

hi snowpony thanks for the info,ranking is a very ugly n cruel process.sigh.just to check hw long hv u been in the service?my son is only 7 mths now so i dunno if i should stay full fledge or wait till my future second kid is out then i convert.so who has been looking after ur gal for these few years,do u manage to fork out time n play with her each day?

From birth, I took 2 years leave cos i didnt want to miss any of her milestones. Then I went back to work n my mother helped me to look after her. She started to attend classes n her learning was slow. My pediatrician told me first 5 years of cognitive development is very impt so I took one more year of leave. All was under support by my principal cos she's pro family. But I had to give up my position as HOD which I did w'out hesitation. Under my own coaching, my girl's learning improved a lot within months. She became second in class. Then I realized she learns fastest w parent. Then I went back to work thinking she can catch up. But her results dropped again as I was very busy w school. So this time round, I didn't want to take any more chances as she is going nanyang. Frankly, when I was working, really no time to coach her. Play? She plays on her own. I am very sorry to her so I cried numerous time. My husband has no time for her too. We even dun have time to "make" no 2 cos too busy n tired. So this time round, I decided to quit.

You can consider taking one year off to look after your kid n have another one during this time, provided your family finances permits. I really regret not having second one while on leave, cos at that time, thought I can wait n have no 2 when I go back to work. Reality is not the case.....You should also consider if u can take it or not, facing your kid 24 hours a day. Very tiring.... But to me, I feel it's worth it. I should spend more time w my girl right? I dun want to scold my pupils parents for neglecting their children n I do the same. I dun want her teachers to scold me.

Im also quitting from moe soon. i called a few schools to ask for 1/2 load but most of the AMs said no vacancy. I started writing/calling the schools in july. It's a tedious chore. And im going into flexi adjunct too, like snowpony. To me, pay doesnt matter anymore, just want to spend time with my kids who are entering schools too.

Hi all,

A little off topic here but can anyone advise me about the connect plan? Cos I'm going to receive my connect plan this Dec.

Is there any terms and conditions that comes with connect plan payouts? Heard some rumour that you have to stay on for a period of time after the handout or it will be forfeited. Is this true?

It's difficult to explain here. Go Intranet to read for details. Connect plan takes into account your years of actual service, promotions n payout dates etc. Everybody is different. You will get your supposed payout, balance kept with moe. If u resign, all balance will be forfeited, like insurance. If u rejoin, then start all over again.

Thanks snowpony.

How about the cash payout? Once given, it will not be forfeited even if you quit after receiving that right? This wasn't mentioned in the intranet, the balance I understand, will be forfeited.

hi i'm new and just gave birth 3 mths ago...i would like to check if anyone knows if my connect plan (due next year) will be delayed or pro-rated if i take npl?

i'm in a dilemma actually
sad.gif

Hi Elaine I had the same prob my connect plAn is due next yeAr.I gave birth in April n took no pay after maternity.I'm nt sure if they will deposit any pro rate Amt this yr ao gotta wait n see.I wanted to extend my no pay leave for another half a yr but friend told me inorder to qualify for the pay out u must serve for the whole yr.if u devise to take the whole yr off next yr ur connect plan will only be given to u after u go bk to service.sigh for the sake of the long awaiting I'm gg bk nect yr.then will see hw from there.

Hi
I was in similar situation before. I tried all kinds of things. Ha... New mummies here, my advice: if u want to take no pay leave, take one full year. If ur connect plan is next year n condition is u serve one full year this year, then after your no pay leave, say 3 months, then ur connect plan is pro rated. Not worth it. But if u take one whole year, although u delay one year, u will get e full amount. Beware: pro rated "eats away" lots of money!

i went to moe website they are still employing adjunct!hopefully they will not discontinue this scheme as that's my career aspiration!

I am also thinking about switching to contract adjunct, can i ask is it true that we must resign from service and wait 6 months before we can sign up for contract adjunct?

Also, wanted to ask regarding No-Pay Leave. if we take no pay leave, for more than 6 months, it means we will be posted out? Or must it be a year at least? What about 9months?:p

hi

Thinking of switching to be a teacher, any teacher out there who can advise on the role and responsibilities of teacher now? Tks a lot

Hi tuete cottage, am/was a tr for past 10 years n have taken no pay leave since 2nd child came along. This is my 4th yr of npl, after which will resign to continue staying at home. From the above postings, I think u can more of less guess tat teaching isn't as "rosey" as the advertisement has put it. Many still think tat we work half day! Gone were those days my dear. We leave home at 6am n back home at 6 pm, then nite time do marking n prep for teaching...hmm if u r starting a family, I would not advise u to join the force but if u r single n have no intention to get into Any serious relationship, then by all means join.
Even my friends who r single n in the teaching force can't find time for entertainment.
Used to encourage many to teach, now......erhh.... Mayb u try relief then decide for yourself k?

Anyone here got pregnant when on part time?

My part time ends in dec 2011. If i deliver on 1st Jan 2012, will i be getting part time pay or normal full time pay?

Anyone can advise?

Hi Helen

Thanks for sharing my exact sentiments. I enjoy the teaching part esp the interaction with the children. Hate the endless markings. I used to wake up early at 4.30am just to mark when the kiddos r asleep. My leave is ending this yr end and am planning to ask for extension which I m quite sure will not be approved. Will hv to resign if that happens.

I heard from a p fren that trs on child care leave r able to do flex adj. Anyone heard of this new ruling?

awl, yes i hearf of this new ruling.
however, i am not too sure if it is child care leave or no pay leave. Not too sure if these leaves are same in meaning as in both leaves, teachers are not paid.

It is more like a relief teacher you will be doing. Anyway, if there is income why not right
happy.gif

Hi Awl10

yes i received an email from them stating that we can apply for flexi adjunct teaching now even if we r on no pay child care leave. yet to find out. but still can't apply as we need to leave home by 630am, den no one to look after kids.... so hubby says forget abt it. he is laso scared i may not be able to cope as i get uptight very easily.

helen, is it true that those on no pay childcare leave can apply to do flexi adjunct teaching?? When was this implemented? can u tell me more pls?? im still on cc leave, will end end of this year but thinking of extending cos full time teaching will leave me with no time for my kids. Appreciate more info from you. TKS.

i,

Just to share,this news was announced to all MOE teachers earlier part of this year.Is confirm that mummies on no pay child care leave can now apply for FLEXI adjunct and im keen to try that out too when my second one arrive!

blessed,

This is indeed great news. Any idea how i can go about it?? LIke do i apply to moe?? Do i hv to resign from service? Ive been away for abt 3 yrs now!! Will definitely go into this flexi adjunct when no 3 comes along n i hv enough of staying home...

Hi MummY lee,Sorry im not too sure how to go about it,perhaps u can try moe website and see if u u find any info,do update me when u hv any good news.I dont think u hv to quite basically it is a scheme for mummies who are on no pay leave.Can i check with u did u go on no pay after ur second kid? and how long hv u been teaching then?This is my 7th yr,so tiring.

Hi Helen n blessed,
Tks for your replies. Ive got the info i want on flexi work arrangement from MOE. THANKS once again!!!

blessed,

yes, the good news is that we dun hv to quit from service if we want to do flexi adjunct. But gotta source for your own school, if you've been away on cc leave for more than 6 months.

I started taking cc leave immediately after maternity leave when #2 came along. Its been 3 years. Now awaiting #3. Initially wanted to curtail my leave n go back to teach in T2 this year but upon hearing from MOE that i cant take CC leave right after my maternity leave for my #3, i decided to continue with my cc leave. Must serve out the MSP i was told before i can apply for my next round of cc leave.

I taught for 11 years before taking no pay cc leave.

I wish i can stay home for 7 years like you!!! Tiring but must be rewarding for you rite!!

Mummy lee, I only took three mths no pay leave lah...I hv been teaching In a small mission sch for seven yrs..sch is small so vey taxing for staff...-always recycle the same ppl.btw how will one knw what's the msp that we are supposed to sere?that's the moral bond right?

if i did not remember wrongly, u must go back n teach for at least 3 months b4 u can apply for cc leave.
mummy lee so we r almost in the same boat, just tat i have no number 3 coming...geez cannot cope liao with 2 gals turning the house upside down

Blessed, sorry got it wrong. So you hv been teaching for 7 yrs. Small mission sch?? Hmm... Am curious to know which sch. Haha...

Helen, im finding it increasingly difficult to handle my 2 kids with my big tummy now. Plus hb works late shift so it's jus me n the kids at nite. Very tiring n can't really do much with the kids after their dinner n shower. So usu by 9 pm we r in bed liao. I think 3 is enough!! Kind of miss teaching in sch..

Mummy lee

yup can imagine u in tat situation so i dare not try no.3 tho we love to have more. no help n dun wan maid so better not. how old r your kids? my 2 gals r 4 and 5yrs old

take care eh

Back