Adjunct Teachers mummies

hi mummy lee

i dun think so cos hubby said will be very tiring for me. after work come home still need to do housechores n take care of kids. lucky he is quite understanding. he knows i am very easily stressed.

may consider when kids go to sch. my initial plan was to see them thru pri sch education then return to work force. however, will see how.

Hi, I have been on on-pay leave for the past 2 years. Thinking of quitting to take care of my 2 kids. Does anyone know about the MSP that we need to serve? What does it mean when we "vacate office in accordance with Section P of Gov Manual 2"?

thanks!

eh i think it refers to u not returning to teaching and not informing MOE HQ abt it. Actions will be taken, eg you will need to compensate MOE or something like that
so do inform them early(3 months b4 the current leave ends) should u want to extend your no pay leave. talking abt tat, i will need to send in my resignation soon b4 they start posting me to school again

Mummy lee,can't tell u which sch lah if u wanna knw more pm or msn lah.forum nt very safe haha.hmmm does anyone knw what's the per hr rate for a graduate teacher with 8 yrs of experience.I'm very vexed these days dunno when I shd I hv number two n whether I shd take child care leave or quit.so far my students n colleagues are nice but I hv been spending very little time with my baby.sigh.Helen can I check with u now that u r on leave n is gg to tender soon will ministry still post u bk to serve one mth notice?

hi blessed, why should i serve one month notice? my present leave is ending in dec, tat means i only need to tender in sept.

dep on your grade, normally graduate with 8yrs service can get abt $21 per hr(but no guarantee)

hmm..dun wait too long to have number 2. My 2 gals are one yr diff in age and now they r enjoying each other's company. its sucha joy to see both sis play n "fight" n hug tog. watsmore, as we aged getting pregnant will be more difficult n may b accompanied with complications. our children need us more than our job. let's love n teach them well so they will not give trs prob next time! haven't we seen enough in the kids we taught? so sad.... i would not want to miss their growing up years. money can earn, but time gone, money cannot buy. once they r grown up, u will have all the time to earn again.
bear them, love them, play our part and the rest is beyond our control....

all the best in parenting!

Hi Helen,thanks for sharing,It seems like I read from forum or somewhere if we were to tender during child care leave we do need to serve one working month or so in sch...perhaps I'm wrong hv u checked with Hq?maybe I shd plan for number two n go on child care leave n see how...you are absolutely right money can be earn back later.

hi blessed i will check it out and let u know again? i tot tat only applies to those who have yet served their bonds

Helen, r u seriously planning not to rtn to service at all? If so then it's ok to quit while on cc leave. Ever heard from a colleague that if i still wish to rtn to teach in future, then it's not advisable to quit while still on leave. Moe may not take you back or something. Heard this from my fren though. Not sure how true tat is.

hi mummy lee, actually all depends on "your luck" and case by case basis. if they need u, they will take u back, esp if your record is "clear"(no bad report watsoever)
I love teaching and hope to influence the young minds, BUT to me, my family comes first, it does not matter if moe does not take me back.
i have other means of contributing to education(eg writing for publishers)
years of experience does play a part. I m very fortunate to have nice colleagues who introduce publishers to me and colleagues who entrust their kids to me for tuition. in fact i enjoy working flexi from home, tho not earning much, but keeps me in touch with the syllabus etc

hi helen, i agree with u tat for us now our young children should really come first and its great that we can also explore other part time/flexi work-from-home job options. Like you, i enjoyed the flexi hrs when i taught in an enrichment ctr. The pay really doesnt matter, as long as we can still be there for our kids most of the time.
Enjoy your time with your gals. They grow up so fast!!!

His everyone! I chanced upon this this thread and was wondering if anyone could help me with a query on the notice period for teachers to resign.I know it's one month but if we can't fulfill the entire month, can we pay MOE our salary in lieu of the shorter notice period?
Also, do we get out connect plan if we are serving the one month notice period, but still officially in service till 31st dec?
Thanks!

HI Elizabeth welcome aboard! did u try calling the HR? cos yur qn involved CONNECT plan, so it is best to find out from the officer at HR

hi all im a tr too glad to find this thread..im tired too quitting this yr end oso duno can get connect plan if remain in service till 31st dec.according to what i print out on the intranet.if u quit the yr u r receiving the payout,u have to wk till 31 dec then can get.im oso thinking of adjunct coz no need to rank..

spoke to HR last week abt resignation. officer asked to if poss try to stay on otherwise all these years of service down the drain. but my frind in another sch asked me to cover her next yr as she will be going for a course for 4 months. i have to resign in order to bcom relief, sigh.... still in a dilemma. mayb just quit... really enjoying the time with my gals

hi peiyu

i've heard from a fren who did adjunct work that apparently they are still being ranked. Unless you are flexi-adjunct of course.

jus sharing.

hi ahnet oh ok but 3 of my contract adjunct colleague say dont have...

hi helen i understand the dilemma i feel this job take up too much of time with my gal haiz i feel so guilty not able to be there most of the time.

contract adjunct are still ranked but of course if u are not bothered by the ranking then just take it up. heehee as a permanent staff i am also not too bothered by ranking as long as I know I have given my best to the kids who need me more than the school. every night I go to bed and sleep in peace so not too concerned about ranking. my hubby even more optimistic: no PB better still, pay less tax! hahaha i kowtou to him!

haha u r very positive lei yr hubby teacher oso ar..my sch culture is very bad=( they make us feel and look bad..announce to everyone who is the D..very not pro

peiyu

in this world where money seems to be everythin, i need to keep my sanity. very happy as long as i have food to eat, clothes to wear, a roof over my head and a family to love.

happy teaching and let the kids benefit from your teaching

1) Can somebody write to the Minister for Education to let him know that teachers are stressed at work and there is not much of work-life balance? I think there should be major changes done to HELP teachers to off-load like admin work and also do something to ensure that teachers have proper work-life balance. I really hope MOE will think of ways to HELP teachers. Many teachers are disillusioned and stressed, some even have gone into depression.

2) Can somebody tell the Minister for Education to scrap the ranking scheme (EPMS) as it's stressful and sometimes can be unfairly manipulated against teachers?Becoz it seems only teachers who are 'visible' or got 'leadership', planning and doing a lot of events or programs at school will be liked while those good dedicated teachers who keep low profile ( who don't know how to 'carry' the upper management) are not considered good enough in their eyes. Coz these teachers who organise events and help school win awards, etc etc will most likely be liked by the P and VP as they help P and VP get in the good books of the P and VP's supervisors. EPMS ranking should be scrapped and MOE should devise a scheme which is not judgemental and less demoralising for teachers. I know of a teacher who went into depression when she got a D grade and it had badly affected her. What's more she was only in her 1st year of teaching and it was her 1st job too, plus she is only less than 20 years old. She finally quitted teaching after her bond. Her passion for teaching was snuffed out as she felt demoralised. Not all human beings are strong enough to take the news that they would get 'D'. In the teachers' own interpretation, 'D' means they are not good enough to the sch managment and it's like a stigma and failure to them. We teachers often talk about motivating students but this EPMS ranking is very demoralising.

Can the new MOE HELP teachers please??? Save them from becoming stressed. HELP them for they have no time for family. I hope MOE will bring forth many changes to improve the lives of teachers and care for their welfare and sanity.

lively queen

wat u have written is true but not not much has been done as they always conclude with "school needs come first"! it takes an "outsider" to speak for teachers as teachers r civil servants n are not supposed to "go public".
there r policies in place but autonomy has been given to the P to run the sch d way he/she deemed best. hence lest u are leaving the service, den u can either choose to speak up or just leave with a heavy heart. watever it is, keep your sanity, it is not really not worth trading your health with a job. teaching seems like it is no more a vocation but just a job.....sad...disillusioned...but life still goes on....

hope your friend learns to get out of her depression, since she is so young. one door closes another opens. it might b a blessing in disguise

so sad...btw i heard that if one quits and then later joins back, her pay becomes back to a fresh grad's pay...is that right?

hi denise think cut by 30%..but not sure when they start..accoring to my adjuct tr colleagues their pay are not cut yet

ok thanks for yr reply
happy.gif

hi ladies, i'm thinking of gg into flexi adjunct too.. cant stand the nonsense anymore... haiz... its so sad to see how the system has become... unlike u all i'm single dun noe wat reason to give them so that i can become a flexi...

hi luv2travel

no need to give reason. if u need to take a break, just take a break so u can keep your sanity. all u need to do is quit den apply as flexi. mayb not in the same sch though

Hi mummies,

Any idea if flexi-adjunct teachers are eligible to register their child under Phase 2A2 of the P1 registration scheme? Does the school consider a flexi-adjunct as a staff member?

Hi yotheg... seen this post late but I have been both a contract and flexi-adjunct before. Contract adjunct entitles u to civil service benefits and you get your last drawn pay.

Flexi-adjunct however is considered as casual employment and the pay is hourly basis depending on your qualifications and years of experience.

Workload is negotiable and you can choose the schools by approaching the schools you wana go and see if they have a need for adjunct teachers.

hi softoy i think flexi adjunct is considered as staff too, i remembered my friend telling me she registered her son when she is a adjunct tr.why not check with the admin staff?they can advise you
happy.gif

flexi adjunct not really considered as staff actually cos its casual employment.. either sch or fajt can terminate with 24 hrs notice.... contract adjunct maybe got chance cos got ps card n benefits...

Hi, any mummy csn share what is the advantage of being a contract adjunct as compared to a full-time teacher? In terms of workload n $$. Thanks
happy.gif

Contract adj: Depending on school staffing needs you can choose full-time or part-time contract adj. As for the overall workload you need to nego with the school. Some schools require all contract adj to take up at least 1 CCA or 1 committee, some schools are ok with you just teaching. Remember that whatever package you hope to get, you should offer something to the school as well. Make it a win-win proposition. You get last drawn pay, the civil service benefits (including the standard bonus), no ranking, therefore no PB, no connect plan, no promotion or career progression track. If you are the type who would like to progress in your career, it is NOT for you. Contract renewable every year subject to approval. It is easy to say that it is ok to take the 'pay cut' but when you do your sums not based on monthly pay (which is a mistake many people make in their SWOT analysis, hahah) but based on annual income, it is clear how much you will be sacrificing financially. I still bring home lots of work on weekdays and weekends but that is due to the nature of the subject I teach. If I had been a permanent teacher, next yr I would have qualified for Connect Plan.

Permanent: Also can be full-time or part-time (PTTS). Depending on your school management and RO, you can also negotiate workload but how flexible you (and they) can be is very much limited by the ranking exercise. You know what I mean. You get full CS benefits, PB, all the govt bonuses, Connect Plan, career progression, yada yada. But a huge downside for me is because of ranking, teaching which is a core duty becomes relegated to 2nd place, or 3rd or even 4th place. As someone here pointed out, you gotta pull your weight in school-wide events. And this was the reason I said enough was enough.

Hope this helps!

Hi all.. I'm thinking of converting to flexible adjunct because I want to spend more time with my 2 boys.. Just wondering how those who have converted are faring?

Does anyone know why my Flexi adjunct application could be rejected? Just wondering what are some of the reasons they would reject..

hi all any mummies out there to share n listen,
still thinking whether to quit teaching for my family or stay...i should be happy that I have a job but it seems like I am so unhappy with my work...
why is that human beings are so difficult to please...
like all mummies who have voiced out here that they are stressed out teaching, me too...
tot of going to do flexi-adjunct after I quit but have to do thro the long way to get employed (calling up sch and wait) and there will be a huge pay-cut...
anyone out there feeling or thinking the same?
please share if it will be easy to get flexi-adjunct teaching nowadays?

strugglingmummy,

why not share your knowledge some other ways like information marketing, group tutoring, or enrichment or even through books and assessment?

hi
yes tot of tutoring but needs to be patient to wait for assignments as i hope to get assignments nearby where i am staying, i have 2 children aged 5 and 1
anyone who did flexi-adjunct and think it is a good switch?

hi strugglingmummy, u dunid to quit to switch to flexi, you can take no pay leave. u can stay in the same sch to be flexi adjunct provided they need the manpower. normally once u registered, schs may call you, demand quite high. if you don't want to wait, you have to call the schs.

Any teachers teaching in Pasir Ris Primary School or Coral Primary School in Pasir Ris? I'm looking for flexi adjunct position in one of these 2 schools so I can be close to home and near my boy's childcare centre. Pls PM me if you know these schools need relief or adjunct teachers. Can start in Term 2. Tks.

Hello mummies,

Wonder if anyone of you has experience as an adjunct teacher and your school allows your child to be registered under phase 2A1?

My boy is turning 5 next year and I'm thinking if it is possible for me to switch to a school where I can do adjunct and at the same time place my boy there.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me with my queries.

Thanks ;)

Hi mummies, wanting to go for closed posting. However, just found out that I am 2 months pregnant? Can I still apply?

Hi mummies,
i am new to this forum here.
i'm in a dilemma and wondering if there is any ex-tr mummies who can help me.
i was away for 2 years on NPL after my ML and just returned in Jan this year. 3 months into teaching and i miss my boy more than ever. :(
However, i am due for my connect plan end of this year. will resigning now means my connect plan be forfeited?

thanks for your help mummies.
:)

Hi mummies,
i am new to this forum here.
i'm in a dilemma and wondering if there is any ex-tr mummies who can help me.
i was away for 2 years on NPL after my ML and just returned in Jan this year. 3 months into teaching and i miss my boy more than ever. :(
However, i am due for my connect plan end of this year. will resigning now means my connect plan be forfeited?

thanks for your help mummies.
:)
Yes, will be forfeited. Best to check with AM when the exact cut off date is?

Hi everyone, thought of applying to be a teacher. Is it a wise choice? I'm currently a piano teacher but I need to work during weekday nights and Saturdays. Hope to have more time to spend with my kids.

Hi everyone, thought of applying to be a teacher. Is it a wise choice? I'm currently a piano teacher but I need to work during weekday nights and Saturdays. Hope to have more time to spend with my kids.
A lot boils down to the sch management, on how busy you'll end up being.

Currently you'll be able to spend time with your kids in morning/afternoon on weekdays I assume?

If you become a teacher, on average you'll likely be able to knock off from work abt 3pm? And that is if you're teaching only music and not other subjects. And excluding days with meetings and events.

And currently not enough music teachers to go around the schools, so there's a high chance you'll be recruited.

A lot boils down to the sch management, on how busy you'll end up being.

Currently you'll be able to spend time with your kids in morning/afternoon on weekdays I assume?

If you become a teacher, on average you'll likely be able to knock off from work abt 3pm? And that is if you're teaching only music and not other subjects. And excluding days with meetings and events.

And currently not enough music teachers to go around the schools, so there's a high chance you'll be recruited.
Agree with veraine.
Reuboon, just to share with u - from what i know, music trs are very bz ppl because there are so few of them in a sch. true they dont have marking but they spend a lot of time coming up with music programmes for all the levels, working with various dpts during festive periods, attend mtgs and so on. my good fren has been teaching music but she plans to leave soon, cos of her children. a lot depends on sch management really. the nice ones are hard to come by. trust me. but you can try and apply though.

good luck!

Back