A place for the TTCs.. (Trying To Conceive)

============================
Women May Ovulate More Than Once a Month, Study Says
Tue July 8, 2003 05:48 PM ET
By Maggie Fox

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - No wonder the rhythm method does not work so well for birth control -- scientists in Canada said on Tuesday they had found women sometimes ovulate several times in a single month.

Their finding, if verified, would overturn the traditional wisdom that women produce an egg cell once a month. It would also help explain why "natural" methods of birth control, based on the idea that ovulation can be predicted, often fail.

"We are literally going to have to re-write medical textbooks," said Dr. Roger Pierson, director of the Reproductive Biology Research Unit at the University of Saskatchewan, who led the study.

"It's exactly why the rhythm method doesn't work."

Scientists have long known that humans have unique cycles of ovulation. Many animals come into heat -- a time when all the males around know through smells and visual signals that a female is ovulating and ready to conceive.

Not so with humans, who have "concealed" ovulation.

Standard medical science says a woman has a cycle running roughly 28 days in which an egg ripens, is released by the follicle, drops into the fallopian tube, and then is either fertilized or shed during menstruation.

Writing in the journal Fertility and Sterility, Pierson and colleagues found this did not always happen.

"We weren't expecting this. We really weren't," Pierson said in a telephone interview.

DAILY ULTRASOUND SCANS

In the study, Pierson, veterinarian Gregg Adams and graduate student Angela Baerwald did daily, high-resolution ultrasound scans on 63 women for a month, which allowed them to see the follicles very clearly.

"We had 63 women with normal menstrual cycles. Of those 63, only 50 had normal ovarian cycles," Pierson said.

Thirteen of the women ovulated multiple times, in various different ways. And of the other 50, 40 percent had up to three waves of activity by the follicles, any one of which could result in the production of an egg.

The women's hormone levels did not match this activity, Pierson said. "Hopefully this will help women explain how they got pregnant when they really didn't want to be pregnant, and it certainly will help us design better fertility therapies."

Apparently, measuring hormones in the blood is not enough to predict what a woman's reproductive system is up to.

"The hormones do what they are going to do and the ovaries just follow their merry path," Pierson said.

"We always thought that menstrual cycles and ovarian cycles were one and the same. It turns out they are just like two political parties -- sometimes they go along hand in hand for the good of the country and sometimes they go along their separate ways."

Pierson's team plans longer-term studies to see if the women's patterns are consistent from month to month.

"We don't know what's causing it -- we don't know if it is the weather or exposure to men or grapefruit juice or what," Pierson said.

The findings, which were first seen in cattle and horses, help explain some things that have puzzled obstetricians, Pierson said.

"It really explains how we get fraternal twins with different conception days," Pierson said. "Clinically, we see this all the time. We see women come in with twins and when we do an ultrasound we see one is at one 10 weeks development and another at seven."

Ladies
we went for chinese physician already, the Thong Chai Medical. According to them, if there is absence of vas, cannot do anything except IVF. And they said the most advanced are NUH and Thomson.
they also said that if low sperm count still got chance to improve, but the problem now is absence of the tube, so the sperms will always be stored in the testicles, no wya to come out. that's why hubby seminal test results is ZERO throughout.

Fmy
did your ICSI succeed? where did you do it? what's the procedure? I got a friend who went thru ICSI too, and succeeded on first attempt under NUH doctor, Prof Ng Soon Chye, heard he is the head of fertility in NUH. will be going to see him if blodd test tomorrow is ok to safely presume that there is sperms in the testicles.

Morning everyone!!

SSL,
gd question leh..cos i oso dunno if shd stop taking folic when menses is here...
so i just continue to eat even though i hve menses...
happy.gif

Linda n Mango,
OS where can get fertile one....hmm.....maybe by continuous simulation??hahahaha...
biggrin.gif

Gals,
think there is a new pregnancy test kit from clearblue leh...

ask u all a qns hor..will it be weird if hubby accompany u to see gynae for normal check-up oni har??

Micky, in that case, all the bast in his blood test.... i will pray for you.

Forgetmenot, i'm not sure about pregnancy test kit..... haven't got one or use one yet.... now sourcing for good affordable OPK first haha

hey gals, if u know about the First Plan OPK i mention above can feedback pls? it's selling at $27.50 now at guardian.... half price!!! so tempted......

BTW, forgetmenot, guardian is also offering the Sure n easy pregnanc test kit at $9.90 now... again, not sure if it's good

Micky,
i will oso pray for u...btw,if the blood test,when will u be gng thru ICSI?

Ob-rider,
i dunno abt the OPK cos i dun use,so cant keep feedback...
is this the same OPK tt u wanted to get fr the website initially?if it is n is selling cheap now,then might as well get it here...

forgetmenot,
if blood test ok, then i will seek NUH prof Ng help. then i think they need to retest everything make sure no problem, then will proceed, shld be relatively soon. think whole process abt few mths. the thing is that i need to inject myself with hormones evry day for a mth to stimulate more eggs for retrieval..

forgetmenot, problem is, the one in the website does not mention the brand, so i don't know if it is same brand.

think i may go Guardian to get it anyway.... save the hassle and having to wait.... ovulation next week liao...... but its on weekday, doubt hubby will be game for anything on weekday.... usu too tired... and he hates it when i initiate cos of ovulation.... so i don't tell him unless he ask...

actually i just want to get the OPK to double confirm that the the o-day coincide with the temp chart.... once confirmed for about 2 cycles, i'd most likely rely on temp chart in 3rd month onwards.... temp taking is much easier...

Micky, good to hear that you've got plans on how to solve your problems. At least you're calm and know what to do next. So when is the blood test for your hubby? Hopefully there's sperm found in his testicles. Don't worry abt injecting yourself first. When the time comes to do it, you'll need to do. So don't worry too much now. I'm sure you'll be able to overcome this problem. And mayb a few mths later, you'll be very proud to announce that you've got baby !!! Personally, I'll prefer Thomson to NUH leh. My impression for NUH is not good at all.

Hi amoeba, thanks for typing out that article.

Hi ob-rider, I saw the promo also. I think it's quite cheap leh. Moreover, you don't need to wait for them to deliver to u. I think you'll need 2 weeks for delivery leh. If that's the case, then you'll miss the O-day this cycle.

Hi SSL, I don't know also. But I still take folic even during menses.

Hi obrider,

The promotion brand selling in Guardian is different fr. the internet ones. For me, i feel that clearblue is more ex. becos of its popularity and its professional and impressive packaging. Though the others not as branded, but it still works and is reliable too.

Hi <FONT COLOR="0000ff">micky,</FONT>

I have been following the thread though didn't contribute frequently
happy.gif
...so admire for your courage, i'm sure you will succeed... it's good to seek help when you are still young, as the successful implantation(during ICSI)is dependent on the age of the mother...and please don't afraid of the injection, i read that 3 embryos give a 33% chance of pregnancy, that's high!! all the best to you and hope to hear your good news soon!
happy.gif

hi <FONT COLOR="aa00aa">Ob-rider,</FONT>

wow, $27.5 for clearplan OPK is sooo cheap... I paid &amp;70+ for it last time, btw, which guardian are u referring to? i tempt to buy again leh...
happy.gif

gals the OPK brand is First Plan, not Clearplan. there are 5 individual tests in 1 kit.... as for which guardian, hmmm..... its not stated, prob most branches will have.

Amoeba, if u see this posting,... just to let u know, i'd be going to guardian to get this kits instead of mail order.... ok? so don't wait for me to order on internet liao....

hi ob-rider,

okie, i will get the kits from guardian too. hehe.. finally dare to venture in here ;P

hi gals,

is it usual to have few days of spotting before the heavy flow starts? makes me wonder which is the first day of my cycle...
uhoh.gif

Micky,

Very sad to say that my ICSI did not succeed cos the next problem that arise from me is that my quality of eggs is not good and the embryo could not survive in my uterus. I did mine at SGH. But I think in your case, the best way is to try IVF with ICSI. Probably you cld contact the fertility doctor at NUH which your friend had recommend. The procedure is exactly the same as IVF jus that under normal IVF, the embrologist let the sperms &amp; eggs fertislised themselve in the dish whereas for ICSI, the embrologist will inject the sperm into the eggs and leave it to fertislised. When the embryo had multiply, they will put the fertislised embryo back into your uterus for growth. If you want to know more info abt it, you may like to surf any fertility website, they have all the necessary info on ICSI.

Dun worry too much, micky. Everything will be fine. Let us know the outcome of the results tomorrow.

Hi amoeba, it shd be ok to have spotting before menses come. FYI, CD1 is the day when u have actual flow not spotting.

Micky,
All the best huh! And since your friend has such good recommendations for Prof Ng, then I think there will a high chance for you too!!!

forgetmenot, it's fine to have hubby to accompany u for normal check-up. In fact, SGH conducts check on both of u on the 1st visit of check-up. The nurse told me that they don't want to waste time to check on woman only. Sometime the man got problem also. But my hubby didn't want to do any test.

angelia, I'm not too sure on OPK. I think it depends on your cycle. If you have normal 28 days cycle, I think you've got to start testing on CD10. To be more accurate, you got to test in the afternoon. I think that particular hormone is highest in the afternoon time. Once u got positive, you got 24 hrs to bb-dance.

Ladies, do u know that sperm can live up to 5 days if our cm is fertile? But sperm can't live long at all if our cm quality is not fertile.

giggler,
wah, that means gotta buy at least 2 packs, juz in case.. hahaha..

okie, maybe later i go Watson to buy
happy.gif
just for this cycle

Giggler,
but then hor,how we noe the cm quality is fertile or not har??

do u still go for ur gynae check-ups??

i ask cos i tot tt it maybe abit weird and furthermore my hubby asks mi whether he can go in when i'm having check-up..hehe..sekali the gynae tot he is gng for check-up too..

Haha,

I think my hubby is really a joker. Think he's just trying to be funny with me. *Bor liao*
sad.gif

Yeah, clear plan pk has indeed change packaging liao. I've just bought the 2 in a pack one for 19+ at Watson. If you just buy the 1 in a pack, it will cost 15+.So, I figured that the 1st one is more worth it.

Now waiting to see AF will come next week. If not, will use my magic wand a.k.a. PK to see whether I've strike the 4D/Big Sweep/ToTo.
happy.gif
/
sad.gif

forgetmenot, it's ok lah. When I went for my check-up, I saw quite a no. of hubby there with their wives and they went in the rooms together.I guess it's fine. The gynae will ask if your hubby wants to check also. For my case, my gynae didn't ask but just told me that she wanted to check my hubby's sperm also. But my hubby not with me at that time so the nurse pass me the container and gave me instruction on how to collect the sperm, etc. If your hubby willing/free to go with u, then just go ahead lah. It's better to test both of u together mah. And you won't need to tell him to test, the gynae will be the one to do that for u. See one bird kills 2 stones. haaha....

As for the cm, see if it's stretchy and egg-white in colour. Also you'll feel wet if you're fertile. And and if your cm is so much that it drip when u go toilet see if it's round in shape. If it's then you're fertile. Another thing, if u go toilet and use tissue to wipe your vagina and if it's slippery, you're fertile.

Hi mango, I think Guardian is selling at $9.90 for one pack leh. So if u think of just getting one, then Guardian is cheaper. Good luck to u !!! Hope u able to see 2 red lines next week.

Giggler,

If thaz the case, Gurdian is definately selling cheaper. Phew, lucky I din buy 1, else "ai wan" one. :D

Me also hope that I'll be lucky this round. If not, also bor bian, try again then.
sad.gif

Blood test results is back, looks normal. Hubby asked the urologist if we can safely presume that there is sperm in the testicles, he said can. Asked us to proceed for ICSI. My gynae appt is cancelled, gynae got some family problems. anyway will call the clinic and tell them to inform my doc to request for referral to NUH.

Frankly, me till now cannot accept that we need to go thru IVF in order to produce a child and my hunch feeling that soemthing was wrong was actually right from the start.

Now, i can only brave myself to go thru the procees of injections and egg retrieval (day surgery) and really pray that everything went on smoothly. i think they will start me off soemthing late next mth after all tests are completed and by early oct, i shld know if i'm pregnant. the only advantage that i hv is my age of 26, hopefully that helps to increase the rate of live birth. Hubby also need to do sperm retrieval (surgery also). we are determined to go thru the whole process and will continue to try till we succeed.

me now hv to learn to be a brave girl...

Micky, that's the way !!! I'm so proud of both of you. Guess you both wil treasure your r'ship and your bb after all these obstacles....

Hi Micky,

Happy to know you are so brave, all the best to you!
happy.gif
Who knows, you may succeed earlier than us, gals, let's jiayou together!
happy.gif

Hi Micky,

Happy that the blood test is normal. You are indeed very strong and brave. I'm sure you will get good news by October. So starting from now you must take care of your body so that healthy eggs can be produced.

***** Baby Dust to you ******

Hi Micky,

Glad that you are facing the problem bravely. BRAVO!!! Hope everything will go on smoothly for u. Keep us updated...Take good care of yourself.

Micky, you are a good girl... keep it up and be brave. yeah you are right, you are young,....hope you can make it in oct. will pray esp hard for u!

Cheers!

hi ob-rider,

I went guardian yesterday but no OPK on promotion leh.. First Plan still selling at $61+. Please let me know if you can get them.. thks
happy.gif

Hi everyone,

Need some advice here...is it normal to have brownish discharge about 1 week after menses finish? I used to have them after my menses finish and the brownish discharge will pursue about 3/4 days after menses and it stopped for the last 2 months. Recently it came again but it was like a week after my menses...

Is this kind of brownish discharge some shedding of the linings? Not sure should i seek GP advice?

ya, amoeba, i also went today, and saw its $55. anybody knows? Giggler... think u mentioned u saw it,... is it at guardian?

Ob-rider &amp; amoeba, I saw the promo on papers leh. I didn't go to any Guardian to find out. Did u gals check with the sales asst?

giggler, i getting all the AF symtoms liao...so think tis mth no hope again....sore breast, bloated tummy n cramps....well...think got to try again next mth !

micky, glad that u r so brave ! Good luck n will pray hard for u !!!

snowflake, when will your menses due? For me, this week will be THE week. Hopefully, I manage to catch the right timing this cycle.....

giggler,should be due on wed...but seem to see abit of spotting today so dun think there's any hope tis month.....

good luck to u tis week and lots of *baby dust* to you !!!!!!!!

Micky,
you are very brave...n i'm sure u will be preggie soon...
happy.gif

Giggler,
this wk,must jia you liao...

i went to see gynae last wk..n the gynae said i got dunno what called "poly" something...tt's y i hve irregular menses n hence it makes mi put on weight easily n hard to lose..

so now the gynae gave mi medication for my menses to come..n let mi try clomid for 2 mths to regulate my menses,if not..it will be hard to TTC...sighez..so sian...

Ladies,

Called NUH and the doc that I wanted to see can only see us in Aug coz he will be going for leave. My goodness. How am I going to 'ai' thru this few weeks of agony and state of "what if".

to be frank, i suffered from severe mood swings. one moment I'm upbeat that everything will be ok and the next I will be crying. I'm trying to control and today i feel better. now i need to keep myself fit and build up my body, looks like oct conceive cannot achieve, but then who cares when conceive so long the process is successful, it's all i'm concern abt. my colleague told me that if pregnancy is achieve, i still need to go back twice a week for jab to stabilise it until the foetus is 12 weeks...sigh

my colleague marriage broke down even though she went thru the same process, heartless husband got another gf outside. she told me that it will be very straining for the marriage to go thru the process, and I'm really worried. we (me and hubby) will ride thru this together, and hopefully god will bless me with a child.
our worst resolution will be adoption...

Micky,
try not to worri too much...u must hve faith in urself,ur hubby n in ur marriage...not everyone will go thru wat ur colleague is experiencing...

like wat u said,is is best to try to build ur body..
i'm sure everything will be fine,n u n hubby will hve a child soon...

everyone in the forum will give u our blessings n will pray for u one too..

lastly,must think positive too..it will helps when u go thru the process...

Hi gals me oso encounter irregular menses ,had seen few gyne but find them no veli gd.so gals any gd female gyne to intro hope to solve this problem asap.Me oso want to have a baby soon.
sad.gif

Ladies,

I called the nurse and told them I really need to see the doc, and they rescheudle me to see the doc on this coming thurs..so happy. at least i dun need to drag for so long. heard from my friend that they will only start the ICSI cycle when menses clear. so if next mth then i see him and after doing all the test..waste alot of time already.

really glad that i can see the doc this thursday...

Micky, good for u. It's more "an xin" to see the doc earlier. Don't think too much. My advice is take a step at a time. What you shd do know is clam yourself down and wait till thur see what doc say first. Meanwhile, why not u take some light exercise, like yoga? It can help to de-stress u. Talk to your hubby abt what u feel and ask what he feels. The most impt is have a mutual understanding. Don't listen to your col too much. I feel that everyone has their own story. It may be other factors that make her hubby go for other woman. Don't worry, Be happy !!!

forgetmenot, I think what u have is PCOS izzit? I think a few other gals at the other thread got it too. And I've heard of cases that those who got it still manage to have bb. Which gynae did u go?

Hi syl, the gynae I went is Dr Ann Tan. I find her very good. She's at Mt E.

Back