2016/07 July babies

Hi gan1972, redvel and ulily! Ah, yes, it seems the hypertension/gestational diabetes is a common issue for us older mums (is there a better sounding term lol).

I had chronic hypertension since my teens, and diagnosed type 2 in 2010, so managing the diet is not so difficult, just cut out all soft drinks (except tonic water) and switch to brown rice/wholemeal and no fried....on aspirin too and BP on low side now that in 2nd trimester...

@ulily,
Although it might seem difficult at first, it will benefit both mum and bb, it helps tremendously to go for dietitian and nutritionist sessions too. Nobody in my house likes brown rice/wholemeal bread either, I went so far as to get a tiny rice cooker, cook 3/4 cup of rice everyday to cover 2 meals, always feel full and can even "cheat" once in a while...so dun worry, just hang in there for few more months :) also, I put my wholemeal bread immediately into freezer and no worries about spoilage or wastage, just toast a bit or microwave if u prefer softer, as good as fresh!

There is also a gestational diabetes support thread here, jiayou!

Oops just realized I lost 1.5kg.....

At 25 weeks now weight put on about 2.6kg ... Can't wait for my 20/4 appt to check and make sure baby is developing ok... Weight loss only me

Oops just realized I lost 1.5kg.....

At 25 weeks now weight put on about 2.6kg ... Can't wait for my 20/4 appt to check and make sure baby is developing ok... Weight loss only me
Similar situation here, doc says looks like I'm losing weight since I only put on 1.5 kgs so far, but baby growth seems OK during detailed scan at week 20, now trying to incorporate more proteins in my diet....I think most important is eat regularly and healthily, and I am also not too tired...u on gd diet @gan1972 ? I was a little on the heavier side to begin with, so I'm not so concerned abt me, just abt baby....but scans seem OK so far so ....just drinking more skimmed milk and no sugar soyabean milk now!!

Snowfern not sure if I am on straight GD diet but I take brown rice and wholemeal bread now
I am not slim type initially put on about 4.1 kg .... Today measure only extra 2.6kg
Today indulge abit eat nasi brani ... Before getting GD finished all the rice ... Now 1/2

Snowfern not sure if I am on straight GD diet but I take brown rice and wholemeal bread now
I am not slim type initially put on about 4.1 kg .... Today measure only extra 2.6kg
Today indulge abit eat nasi brani ... Before getting GD finished all the rice ... Now 1/2

Jiayou! Ya, I also cut down on carbs a lot, but this way, can still enjoy -some- fave foods ^_^ luckily I not fond of gravy stuff or soups anyway, so just that help me reduce my oil/salt/sugar too! I do miss my morning coffee or tea though.....T.T

I'm entering 27 weeks... and hunger pangs attack!! I keep bananas at bedside for emergency. Bedroom fridge is stocked with fresh coconut (de husked top), dark chocolates, fruity ice cream. Although hubby stocks milk, I am not craving it.

Total weight gain 8kg to date :)

Oh can drink coconut at this stage? I thought it's only ok to drink at end of 3rd trime. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've been craving but told not to drink till couple of weeks before popping.

For last 1-2weeks I haven't seen weight gain. In fact lost a tiny bit. Will check my bb weight this Friday.

My biggest food craving for this whole pregnancy is potato chips. Calbee, Lay's, Kettle, etc. I've never eaten so much chips in my entire life.

I see that a lot with GD have difficulties with changing to brown rice. Have u all heard about rice berry grains? It's a new healthy produced in Thailand. Smells a little like glutinous rice. Filled with great health values. Do a google search. Do a half half mixed if u not used to full brown rice or berry rice. I do a 0.5 jasmine:1 berry rice:1 brown rice. Takes some time to get used to it. My family is now not used to seeing just white jasmine rice anymore. We like red courful rice.

Hi to the other "older mums" (snowfern - there really is no other term to describe us folks, haha).
So many of you have started losing wt? I'm getting a bit concerned about my own wt gain (7 kg) so far, quite a lot. Are you all eating a smaller portion than pre-preg?

@redvel - I was also told to drink coconut juice from above 8 mths (I roughly translate it to after abt 34 wks). I think it's fine to drink some if u have the craving.

Hello mommies, yesterday went for my Glucose Test at KKH any idea how long they will take to call you if glucose level is high?

In my first 20weeks I've lost 4kg from my pre-preg weight, but now (currently 25th week) I have gain 5kg from my pre-preg weight. Which means in this 5 weeks I've gain 9KG!! Doctor says I'm putting too much weight, sudden weight increase but he couldn't tell if it's normal or not because I didn't take the ultrasound ystd so dont' know baby's current weight. Anyone having same problem?

I'm not sure if there's a standard but for me i drank the glucose on Wed and I knew the result on Fri. My appt with doc was that Friday so it happened he shared the result with me.

Usually a sudden weight surge may indicate GD possibility. That was what happened to me, before I did the glucose test. However now my weight is stable not gaining already. Per last visit my baby seems to be on the bigger side but doc is not too worried it seems.

Oh can drink coconut at this stage? I thought it's only ok to drink at end of 3rd trime. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've been craving but told not to drink till couple of weeks before popping.

Doctor says ok. And I feel better drinking coconut water than 100 plus.

My mil told me not to drink too... I drink 1 daily :D

For brown rice, I only just opened a pack of Newmoon brown rice....ooohhhh yummy! Was previously eating some blue elephant brand that I bought only cos it was easiest to obtain from the convenience store beneath my block XD

Ya, for those new to brown rice, follow @sweet_pooh_28 recommendation! Ease into it, otherwise really quite tasteless haha.

I was told firmly by dietitian to stay away from coconut water and especially sports drinks as these have far more sugar content and minerals that mess with diabetes, so I avoid them like the plague!!!

As for weight gain, so far I have total gain of about 2kgs, but was advised to try to put on about 100g per week as now I am supposed to have gained 3.5-5kgs :(

I guess weight gains vary for each individual, and largely dependent on pre-pregnancy weight. Most impt is baby size I guess? Nevertheless, it would seem baby will still gain nutrition from mum, so a varied GD diet is still important for both mum and bb health.... whether or not I gain....I only worried my teeth will fall out if I don't take enough calcium lol

For brown rice, I only just opened a pack of Newmoon brown rice....ooohhhh yummy! Was previously eating some blue elephant brand that I bought only cos it was easiest to obtain from the convenience store beneath my block XD

Ya, for those new to brown rice, follow @sweet_pooh_28 recommendation! Ease into it, otherwise really quite tasteless haha.

I was told firmly by dietitian to stay away from coconut water and especially sports drinks as these have far more sugar content and minerals that mess with diabetes, so I avoid them like the plague!!!

As for weight gain, so far I have total gain of about 2kgs, but was advised to try to put on about 100g per week as now I am supposed to have gained 3.5-5kgs :(

I guess weight gains vary for each individual, and largely dependent on pre-pregnancy weight. Most impt is baby size I guess? Nevertheless, it would seem baby will still gain nutrition from mum, so a varied GD diet is still important for both mum and bb health.... whether or not I gain....I only worried my teeth will fall out if I don't take enough calcium lol

I guess it boils down to individual health. Not everyone has GD to worry about. I happen to be low in red blood count n low in blood sugar level. I might be physically more active than most mothers. I choreograph and teach dance. I do need the sugar and the minerals to sustain myself through the day :)

Hi to the other "older mums" (snowfern - there really is no other term to describe us folks, haha).
So many of you have started losing wt? I'm getting a bit concerned about my own wt gain (7 kg) so far, quite a lot. Are you all eating a smaller portion than pre-preg?
I follow the KKH ODAC dietitian advice quite closely from week 8 onward cos I was diagnosed diabetic in 2010, so was eating a lot more than I used to, and more frequently too, difference is all wholemeal/brown rice, far far less oily and totally no sugar and sweet treats :(

These days since I was told to put on, I have cheated quite a bit, had beard Papa a few times (shhh don't tell!!) But weight gain is still slow. I even upped my portion of brown rice and drink skimmed milk more frequently...

To be honest, I think if u can follow the diet provided, is quite easy to control the weight, unless the insulin production has started going askew.....best to check w doc if concerned!!

I guess it boils down to individual health. Not everyone has GD to worry about. I happen to be low in red blood count n low in blood sugar level. I might be physically more active than most mothers. I choreograph and teach dance. I do need the sugar and the minerals to sustain myself through the day :)

Ya of cos :) I was more referring to @redvel comment, cos I recall she mentioned she had mild GD, hehehe didn't mean you!!

Ya of cos :) I was more referring to @redvel comment, cos I recall she mentioned she had mild GD, hehehe didn't mean you!!

I'm just stating neutrally lah ;) Actually as long as baby is growing healthily, no health danger, just relax n enjoy the pregnancy. This is my 3rd baby and probably my last try at pregnancy. Hubby is trying to persuade me to try 4! I'm trying to get him to go for vasectomy. LoL

Anyway, I do agree GD has alot to do with diet. It's especially hard for mothers who need to dine out most of the time. Eating wholesome and natural food is the best.

I like to cook but feel too tired to clean up recently. Sent 2 Myanmese maids back to agent and waiting for my new Filipino one. For those mums with GD, I wish them good health and safe delivery.

Here's to a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby! Cheers :D

I'm just stating neutrally lah ;) Actually as long as baby is growing healthily, no health danger, just relax n enjoy the pregnancy. This is my 3rd baby and probably my last try at pregnancy. Hubby is trying to persuade me to try 4! I'm trying to get him to go for vasectomy. LoL

Anyway, I do agree GD has alot to do with diet. It's especially hard for mothers who need to dine out most of the time. Eating wholesome and natural food is the best.

I like to cook but feel too tired to clean up recently. Sent 2 Myanmese maids back to agent and waiting for my new Filipino one. For those mums with GD, I wish them good health and safe delivery.

Here's to a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby! Cheers :D

Wowwee, 3 (almost :p) kids and still so active!!! Kudos to you! Haha your hubby love kids so much ah, reminds me of a relative who wanted enough to form a football team o_O I can't even begin to imagine how I will cope with one!!!

Yes, GD is definitely easier to manage with diet, but after watching the 2 ladies who were on course with me, I really felt bad for them, having to drastically change their lifestyle, especially while working, severely limits their food options...not to mention the guilt factor even though a lot of times it is not their fault!

Jiayou all mummies to be (and mummies again lol)!!

Wowwee, 3 (almost :p) kids and still so active!!! Kudos to you! Haha your hubby love kids so much ah, reminds me of a relative who wanted enough to form a football team o_O I can't even begin to imagine how I will cope with one!!!

Yes, GD is definitely easier to manage with diet, but after watching the 2 ladies who were on course with me, I really felt bad for them, having to drastically change their lifestyle, especially while working, severely limits their food options...not to mention the guilt factor even though a lot of times it is not their fault!

Jiayou all mummies to be (and mummies again lol)!!

I know many students whose mums had GD. They were born big babies. The kids grow up fine and healthy. GD is bad during labor for the mum. So it makes sense to keep it under control. Eat natural food as much as possible. Less gravy. Less seasoning. Indian food is safer than MSG laden Chinese economic rice. For zichar, I will request for no salt n msg. I don't like the chemical taste of commercial salt.

My family like purple rice and brown rice. I usually add multigrain into the rice mix. We don't like white rice as much. I guess diet can be adjusted over time... it's all about acquired taste :D

It's late for me... catch up next time :D

Any new updates on baby scan/growth? How are the mummies doing?

I'm going for mine later. Seems so long since the last.

Mine slowed down in 2nd trimester. He was only 530g at 24 weeks. I'm now at start of 27... going for scan next week. Keep getting insatiable hunger pangs!

Surprisingly, I am getting very full easily. Hungry but stomach like cannot expand and so stretched. No space! Hahaha...

Surprisingly, I am getting very full easily. Hungry but stomach like cannot expand and so stretched. No space! Hahaha...

Same feeling! But I am trying to put on 10kg more as told by my gynea. Am going for C section. I have 3 months more to gain 5kg :D

Me Also no weight gain since last visit 3 weeks ago. But bb is kicking a ball inside.

Heading for my gynae visit next. I look forward to knowing how much weight she has gained I hope.

I am not trying to gain more weight. hahaa... just that I have to eat smaller portions now coz I get full easier. Maybe eat more often but smaller portions.

My baby is finally growing instead of me. Haha 2nd last visit to last visit, I gained 400g, out of which bb took 300+g! Yay!

I've actually gained 400g since 3 wks ago as per measured at the clinic. Bb now is 1.042kg and he says she is average.

But my sugar today is no good. I had fish soup with those Maggie Mee kind. He says try not to take that.

She is in head down position.

Long time din log in and chat. At 24 weeks, my bb head is down. My next visit supposed to be ard 28 weeks but I postpone it to be ard 30 weeks. Hopefully by then my bb weight has increased tremendously.
After reading so mummies having brown rice, I feel so guilty. I have switched to soft grain bread coz whole grain really not very nice-tough and hard. I'm cutting down my breaky from a whole bowl of noodle or fried bee hoon to 2 slices of bread coz I'm afraid of weight gain. The last month I put on 2 kg within a month. Gynae says ideally can Juz put on 1 kg per month for now.
I'm also getting more tired and keep looking forward to when my gynae can give me HL to rest at home till birth.. Dun feel like going to work at all. If I go to work, my back will feel like breaking at the end of the day.
As for leg cramp, I heard taking calcium will helps. So I'm taking one glass of formula milk everyday and I feel that this time round, my leg cramp is better compared to my last 2 preg..
So looking forward to next 2 weeks so that I can see my bb!!

Hello everyone.

Can I check with y'all when y'all start to apply stretchmarks lotion?
Very kiasu once bfp I changed my all my body creams to stretch mark prevention ones. Now apply 3-4x a day. Nevertheless it's never too late to start.

I'm also trying to put on weight, managed to increase by 50g over the last week, unsure if due to the dress weight or breakfast though XD

Started applying moisturisers and stretch mark oils only last week, cos I started getting itchy skin, and slight tautness around tummy area especially after meals.....

Although I am also getting the munchies, I have exceeded my blood sugar levels a few times as I couldn't resist gyoza or fried fish, so am back to my usual bland diet which also helps curb cravings...and then beard papa releases a new flavour.... Ahhhh!!!!~~~~

My biggest weakness is potato chips, bread (Breadtalk/YaKun), and bubble teas.

I'm using these now. Bought online cheaper. Bought half dozen of these in last order as I slap on quite a lot.

ImageUploadedByForum1460128874.223074.jpg

ImageUploadedByForum1460128883.594035.jpg

Morning I apply the cream. Night I apply the oil. And I also bring out a tube of the cream with me (since the tube is less messy). Whenever I feel tight or itch thru the day, I apply the cream. It soothes the itch also.

The oil is not just for itch. It's for marks prevention so use it routinely. I don't use the spray nozzle but pour the content onto palm then rub on body areas.

Btw, any mummies belly button is pushed out yet? :p Mine is out halfway. I hope it pops out 100% as I wanna give it a thorough clean lol.

Snow fern do u eat bananas ? I had one today after dinner ....after that did my blood test...the reading is 6.7 ..higher than usual. Not sure is it due to the Banana.

Snow fern do u eat bananas ? I had one today after dinner ....after that did my blood test...the reading is 6.7 ..higher than usual. Not sure is it due to the Banana.

No banana no mango no durians. All yellow fruits are no cos high in sugar. 6.7 is still within range

My dietitian advised me to avoid bananas, or only eat sparingly as they are very high in sugar and carbs....so I only take one small or 1/3 of the large del Monte one if I've been careful with my meals.....

A relative passed me 2 bottles of bio oil, so far so good, I apply day and night on belly, and use Vaseline aloe Vera for breasts and thighs....

Btw, any mummies belly button is pushed out yet? :p Mine is out halfway. I hope it pops out 100% as I wanna give it a thorough clean lol.
Mine is half pushed out and much easier to clean now lol!! But I've found it depends on how baby is sleeping...

Found this in fb group, dunno true or not but interesting!!!
https://pregnancy.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/09/baby_position_in_womb.php

Just visit gynae, weeks 26 now and baby weight 1.2kg.. Slightly on the high side . Baby is in head down position, his face is facing my back so can't do 3D scan to see his face and gynae said this is a very good position for natural birth.

@redvel - I depended on the Cocoa Palmer cream for my previous pregnancies, but this round, my sense of smell is so keen and sensitive that I haven't been able to use it more than 5 times as I just can't stand the smell. So annoyed with my nose! Am currently alternating between the Lemongrass House Stretchmark prevention oil as well as Chagrin Valley's Shea butter.

My belly button is out at times and in at others.

These 2 weeks feeling easily breathless, walk to toilet also chuan. Think bb is very high up, feel such an immediate relief in breathing when I release my bra. Anyone feeling the same?

I've done my pre admission at GlenE yesterday. Anyone has done that too?

Emk, that's sounding good ya.

Tuna, I doubt mine is high up yet. I think I carry mine quite low. You all switched to maternity bras already? I'm wearing same bras still and still comfy since no upsize at all.

Thanks snow fern and bunny, now it know what to avoid.

Redvel...reading is ok but was higher than usual, so am alittle concern.
What is pre admission? I dun remember doing this for number one . You booked the room?

I've done my pre admission at GlenE yesterday. Anyone has done that too?

Emk, that's sounding good ya.

Tuna, I doubt mine is high up yet. I think I carry mine quite low. You all switched to maternity bras already? I'm wearing same bras still and still comfy since no upsize at all.
I've been being strangled by my old bras since around wk 11, not because of up-size of the right parts unfortunately, but because I got wider. Been wearing wireless bras since then, got a couple of nursing bras which I'm also wearing now since they're quite comfy.

Anyone going to sgh? Need to do pre-admission? I can't remember at all.

I'm wearing bigger size bra too.. Haven got the chance to buy maternity bra but I feel maternity bra has no support and will it cause the breast to sag?
As for belly button, it din pop out for both my past preg. The belly button gets smaller and smaller since my mumu gets bigger and bigger. It's quite cute to see my belly button becoming smaller.
Nowsaday I took off my bra to sleep and it really seems more comfortable

I also haven done any pre admission yet. Won't it be too early ? Since we are only 20 over week. Think the clinic will give us the admission letter nearer to the time I give birth.. So far this is what I remember.. Ha ha but I could be wrong coz now seems more forgetful

Back