2016/07 July babies

Fun to read all these playful milestones of babies :)

I've no luck with a consistent STTN baby. Recently she started to get up between 2-4am. Made her bottle but she pushes away. Has been like this for 3 nights and wasted fm. So I gave her my breast and she takes it in delight and then fall back to sleep. Seems she ain't hungry, but just want comfort since she only nurses for 5mins max.

Any bb is like this too?
I think it's sweet that she wants mama :)

I've no luck with a consistent STTN baby. Recently she started to get up between 2-4am. Made her bottle but she pushes away. Has been like this for 3 nights and wasted fm. So I gave her my breast and she takes it in delight and then fall back to sleep. Seems she ain't hungry, but just want comfort since she only nurses for 5mins max.

Any bb is like this too?

My boy does that too these 2 days. Woke up around 5am and wants milk. Too sleepy to go warm up my bm so I just latch him. 5 mins later he's sleeping again. I don't know is it just for the comfort latch or he's really hungry. :confused:

My boy does that too these 2 days. Woke up around 5am and wants milk. Too sleepy to go warm up my bm so I just latch him. 5 mins later he's sleeping again. I don't know is it just for the comfort latch or he's really hungry. :confused:

I don't think it is comfort latch at times. It depends on how full you are and how fast is your letdown. I always place my hand over my little one's tummy before and after feed. It is not comfort latch if u Can feel it getting bloated.

After a week of "sleep alone in the cot" training, i observed that my little one's first stretch is usually 4.5-5hours, followed by 3h, then 1.5-2h. Sleeping time is around 8.45pm and will wake up ard 7-7.30 each morning. Grunting and stamping of feet increased as we near 7am.

Swaddle is most intact during first stretch. Last stretch is worse. Legs come out. Arms come out. Left one band on the stomach only. Like a stomach warmer. Hahaha

Any bb is like this too?
Mine doesn't sleep through still waking up 2-3 hrly for milk but will fall back to sleep after milk but last 3 days, she is wide awake at 5am even after milk... Gosh

Today set up the baby pool again. Baby swam at 11am and have been sleeping since 12.45pm. I had exclusive ME time! I went to sort out the photos in my phone and backed them up in hard disks, washed baby's laundry, bathed the dogs, bathed myself (using the pool water) and even prepared tonight's bibimbap dinner! Now resting beside the little one and waiting for the monster to wake up.

Cannot let the monster sleep too much if not tonight's schedule is gonna be jeopardized. And yes Tmr I need to go to my mum's place 7 early 8 early during peak hours. I hope I survive the drive and there is no jam. Maybe I should wish myself luck to survive tonight first.

Sounds like the babies are sleeping about the same now...bubbles is finally catching up on her beauty sleep! For almost 3 weeks she never slept for more than 15 min stretches in the day, and only 1 session of 3 hrs at night.

Now that her colic and reflux are under control, past two nights are 4-5 hrs, then further 2-3 hrs, then 1- 1.5 hr nap times throughout the day! I am also feeling much much better! Hope this trend continues, or maybe, dare I hope, she can sttn soon???

Mine doesn't sleep through still waking up 2-3 hrly for milk but will fall back to sleep after milk but last 3 days, she is wide awake at 5am even after milk... Gosh

The Chinese article says that STTN training begins for 3-4 mths old with weight over 6kg. Somewhere I also read that ability to STTN depends on the size of ur little one's tummy. Same as the concept of dream feed. Is to let them store more so that they can last thru the whole night.

image.jpeg

Haha I cannot swaddle her arms, she hasn't been fully swaddled since week 2, which was when she found the strength and technique to wiggle out of the tightest, snugliest wrap we could muster.

These days if we turn on the Air con, we only do a half swaddle, armpits down, just to keep her tummy warm and reduce moro reflexes waking her. She still manages to kick her legs out, leaving her tummy covered, but that's the best we could hope for liow!

The Chinese article says that STTN training begins for 3-4 mths old with weight over 6kg. Somewhere I also read that ability to STTN depends on the size of ur little one's tummy. Same as the concept of dream feed. Is to let them store more so that they can last thru the whole night.

View attachment 659162
Oooh! By then they can also flip liow, cannot swaddle. Ah. New challenges await us.....

My little gal caught a flu bug, having block nose and because of this her weight gain also slows down....she is only 5.7kg now

My little gal caught a flu bug, having block nose and because of this her weight gain also slows down....she is only 5.7kg now
I thought 5.7kg is a good weight? Not too heavy and not too light. By right should be how much?

I thought 5.7kg is a good weight? Not too heavy and not too light. By right should be how much?
I also dunno shld be how much but she was putting on about 1kg a month previously ... So this time is less than last 2 months

I also dunno shld be how much but she was putting on about 1kg a month previously ... So this time is less than last 2 months

I think it is okay leh so long as enough wet diapers and baby is active. Maybe the rest of the mummies can share their weight of bb to give u assurance.

@KWL - Bibimbap dinner! Can share recipe? Yum yum!

@gan - I think your girl's wt is ok leh, don't fret about it. Mine's 6 kg, 11 wks. Birth wt - 3 kg.

Re bottle-feeding - still no success. Anyone still having problems with bottle-feeding? Read that several babies are OK after changing to pigeon. Mine Avent, Pigeon, Nuk all reject.

@gan - I think your girl's wt is ok leh, don't fret about it. Mine's 6 kg, 11 wks. Birth wt - 3 kg.

Re bottle-feeding - still no success. Anyone still having problems with bottle-feeding? Read that several babies are OK after changing to pigeon. Mine Avent, Pigeon, Nuk all reject.

It is very simple to make. Mine is vegan version. Steps below seem complicated and tedious cos u are preparing each side dish separately. Can do more and refrigerate. So each time u wanna eat, u just need to cook the rice and kiap the ingredients into the bowl only. I always cook by gut feel so I don't have any precise measurement. Sorry!

Side dishes :

Slice shiitake mushroom and carrots and fry. Can choose dry fry or fry with olive oil. I never use any seasoning. Set aside.

Preparation for spinach and bean sprouts are the same step.
A. First roast sesame seeds over small fire. Dry fry and don't add oil. Set aside.
B. Blanch spinach in boiling water
C. Run under tap water
D. Squeeze dry and toss them into a bowl with soya sauce, sesame oil and the earlier sesame seeds.
Follow the same steps for bean sprouts

For cucumber, slice thinly. Dust with salt and squeeze out the excess water after an hour or so. Then rinse with water (not too cleanly) and add sugar. Taste before storing into fridge for added crispness.

Sauce - I mix gochujang (can be purchased from Korean supermarket) with ketchup and sesame oil. Can add sugar if u want too.

Kimchi - can buy bottled ones from Korean super market

I use taokwa today as the "meat" cos got one Extra piece dangling in the fridge.

Last but not least, u need a runny sunny side up on the 珍珠米 so that the richness of the yolk will infuse into the rice. I added cherry tomatoes today! Hahaha.

image.jpeg

@tuna regarding bottle feeding - I am still using avent bottles because I just changed teats and I don't want to waste money.

Instead of changing bottles and teats, I change position and feeding styles. Haha.

It depends on my baby's mood. Sometimes lying down position fail, I will try upright position. If both fails, I will put down baby to cry first. Cos cry Liao sure thirsty. When thirsty, I offer a drink. And the angle in which I offer is very weird. Because baby wants to latch and is aiming breast. So I need to twist my wrist such that the teat is somewhat the same position of my breast. Usually it works but it is short lived. Baby sure complain mode.

So I will proceed to rocking stage. That is feed in that weird position and sway my legs left right to create rocking sensation. If still cannot, my other free hand will pat backside.

Lol. Sounds impossible but situation forces mum to be creative.

Craving bibimbap now, know what I'll have for lunch some time next week! ^_^

Brought bubbles out for almost 6hrs today, she conked out the whole duration! Babywearing is so full of sleepydust that she slept for a further almost 3 hrs after we got back..nursing her again now and hope she can do a longer stretch later.

Found some baby stuff at Tokutokuya amk branch! It's my new fave haunt!

IMG_20161002_225852.jpg

Planning to do more crafty stuff, mwahaha. The bibs are the type that can catch food, plan to bring them in my diaper bag when we go out for meals as part of my blw plan. All above items cost only $2 each!

Just weighed bubbles, inclusive of cloth diapers (dry), 5.8kg, 11wks1d, birth weight 2.9kg. But my weighing machine a bit koyak. Not sure accurate or not.

Last edited:
@KWL - woah! Love your dinner. My tummy is rumbling now. I can almost taste the bibimbap! At the way my bb catnaps, I can probably aim to do one side dish each day, ah, and I will finally taste the bibimbap by Saturday.

I tried rocking, strolling, face front, face side, all while singing, all it did was to buy minutes before she goes into full-blown get-the-bottle teat-out-of-my-mouth screaming and hair-pulling. Don't know why she's so averse to bottles, argghh!! I shall have to think of more creative ways to try.

@snowfern - more crafts! Love your crafts. Share more of your creations here please. What is in the 泡 bottle?

@KWL - woah! Love your dinner. My tummy is rumbling now. I can almost taste the bibimbap! At the way my bb catnaps, I can probably aim to do one side dish each day, ah, and I will finally taste the bibimbap by Saturday.

I tried rocking, strolling, face front, face side, all while singing, all it did was to buy minutes before she goes into full-blown get-the-bottle teat-out-of-my-mouth screaming and hair-pulling. Don't know why she's so averse to bottles, argghh!! I shall have to think of more creative ways to try.

@snowfern - more crafts! Love your crafts. Share more of your creations here please. What is in the 泡 bottle?
Have you varied the temp of the milk?

I gotta take more pics, planning to start blogging again, used to be quite gungho with my previous blogs but you know how things are with a baby in tow....nothing goes to plan!

Oh and the bottle is supposed to help foam soaps...got instruction sheet, but my grasp of Japanese language is ....LOL. even when i finally read it, I don't understand what I'm reading haha!

My gal doesn't like pigeon.....and with nuk , she was always drinking loke she is going to get
Choke. Now she is using dr brown . Seems good for her,....finish her milk about 90 ml within 5 mins

Mine birthweight is 2.9kg, 13 weeks now.

Gan, my baby weight and weeks same same as yours. I think they are doing fine.

Today I've seen another side of my bb never before. We have given her a new nickname called T-Rex (mainly because we just saw this pic).

ImageUploadedByForum1475425048.528026.jpg

Today she like roars in her cry. Do this do that also she not happy. Give milk also drinks hesitantly. Make her sleep also cry like we owe her. Like an angry old woman. We decided then to bring her earlier to inlaws house. True enough, she acts like that big eyed kitty in that pic when there. Drank 120ml when mil fed her.

This gal ah.

Gan, my baby weight and weeks same same as yours. I think they are doing fine.

Today I've seen another side of my bb never before. We have given her a new nickname called T-Rex (mainly because we just saw this pic).

View attachment 659218

Today she like roars in her cry. Do this do that also she not happy. Give milk also drinks hesitantly. Make her sleep also cry like we owe her. Like an angry old woman. We decided then to bring her earlier to inlaws house. True enough, she acts like that big eyed kitty in that pic when there. Drank 120ml when mil fed her.

This gal ah.
I recall reading somewhere about why they do this. It is a developmental milestone where your bb can differentiate between primary caregivers from secondary, and strangers. They learnt that they can trust you, therefore they feel most emotionally vulnerable and free to express themselves.

I'm stealing that pic. Hah!

Oh no ... My pump die on me at this hour. I'm using medela freestyle and it keeps stopping .. Omg!!! Breast hard hard and I don't know how to do hand expression :( I'm exclusive pumping and don't latch for very long already ... My baby sleep like a pig now!

Oh no ... My pump die on me at this hour. I'm using medela freestyle and it keeps stopping .. Omg!!! Breast hard hard and I don't know how to do hand expression :( I'm exclusive pumping and don't latch for very long already ... My baby sleep like a pig now!

I use this technique - Marmet Hand Expression...cold compress to reduce pain and swelling!

Moby Bamboo. I never use liow, it sags too much, but I will use it as backup if my warabee woven is in wash ....why ah? U thinking of getting one?
Thinking which super carrier u r wearing, can walk for 6 hrs outside with bb sleeping inside and still hv energy now. Oh yes, I rem you mentioned warabee before.
On milk temp, I squeeze out into the bottle minutes before feeding. It's as fresh as can be liao.

@gan - thks. I will bear Dr Brown in mind.

@redvel - your dino pic cracked me up. For weeks now, ive been thinking mine sounds just like a dino also because her warning cries sound like that of the Raptor. If you've watched Jurassic Park, you'll recall that the Raptor goes "raow raow raow" very shrilly before it pounces :D

Hmmm I try to squeeze but it come out droplet, one hand squeeze, one hand hold the bottle to collect drop by drop and its very painful..how come it don't spray out ?

@emk - not sure if you managed to follow the video that snowfern posted. I try to explain, bit difficult to describe in words - u need to press in (I.e. inward toward your body) firmly, thumb above and 2nd finger (I prefer to use 2 fingers for better grip - 2nd and 3rd fingers) below, at the areola. Just squeezing won't get your milk out. You'll soon get the hang of it.

U try a warm bath first before doing hand expresison. it will induce letdown I feel. It could be droplets initially because ur boobs are now at max. After letting off some pressure, it should revert to sprays. Just endure and rub and massage away all clots. I never follow the techniques. Ny own way is just grope the whole breast and swueeze real hard. Guide milk flow inwards as the fingers move towards the nipple - kwl freestyle pump

@tuna your bb knows the bottles are imitations lol hope you find one that works soon!

@KWL lol I used to do the same, but whole boob like blueblack feeling ley....

Hmmm I try to squeeze but it come out droplet, one hand squeeze, one hand hold the bottle to collect drop by drop and its very painful..how come it don't spray out ?
Yeah, when engorged it will be drips at first, try to relax if possible. Second what tuna and kwl advised. Personally, I usually hand express a little out of my engorged boobs under warm shower to relieve pressure, then express the remainder into an Avent storage cup when i get out.

You may also consider getting a Haakaa, I used to use it to collect let down while the other boob is latched /pumped. $25.90 at mothercare and kiddy palace if I'm not wrong.

Thinking which super carrier u r wearing, can walk for 6 hrs outside with bb sleeping inside and still hv energy now. Oh yes, I rem you mentioned warabee before.
On milk temp, I squeeze out into the bottle minutes before feeding. It's as fresh as can be liao.

@gan - thks. I will bear Dr Brown in mind.

@redvel - your dino pic cracked me up. For weeks now, ive been thinking mine sounds just like a dino also because her warning cries sound like that of the Raptor. If you've watched Jurassic Park, you'll recall that the Raptor goes "raow raow raow" very shrilly before it pounces :D

I have Moby, Warabee and Jumpsacbaby ring sling. Doesn't matter which carrier, she confirm within 5 mins of being wrapped, zzzzzzzz but of course will protest a lot while I am putting her in it hehehe

Just 忍。no choice if not get mastitis and fever.
Yea, but the marmet technique is gentler luh...I do sometimes still squeeze whole engorged boob in shower with both palms , quite fun to see how long and far one big squeeze can spray for lol

I have Moby, Warabee and Jumpsacbaby ring sling. Doesn't matter which carrier, she confirm within 5 mins of being wrapped, zzzzzzzz but of course will protest a lot while I am putting her in it hehehe
Since she can KO, it's time for you to hit the cinemas too! Go go go.

Hand expression really tough!!! Luckily this morning my baby got disturb by the thunder sound and he wake up to suck his thumb, I grab him over and offer him my boob.he give that cheeky smile then latch for 15 mins n fall sleep.. Sigh never even clear for me. But I'm surprise he still willing to latch as I stop latching him for two months already. Just now try to on my pump and it still keep stopping, I keep trying till the normal motor sound is back .. Heng la .. Can clear my boob. Going down to medela service center later , very disappointed la ..such a highly recommended pump and I used less than 3 months lo .. So fast spoil already :(

Anyone tried a Doony? We don't own a car, but I do go out w my cousin who drives, thinking if it's worthwhile getting a carseat-pram....

Hand expression really tough!!! Luckily this morning my baby got disturb by the thunder sound and he wake up to suck his thumb, I grab him over and offer him my boob.he give that cheeky smile then latch for 15 mins n fall sleep.. Sigh never even clear for me. But I'm surprise he still willing to latch as I stop latching him for two months already. Just now try to on my pump and it still keep stopping, I keep trying till the normal motor sound is back .. Heng la .. Can clear my boob. Going down to medela service center later , very disappointed la ..such a highly recommended pump and I used less than 3 months lo .. So fast spoil already :(

U are fully expressing right. The number of times u are using pump far exceeds mine. Bound to have wear and tear :)

Anyone tried a Doony? We don't own a car, but I do go out w my cousin who drives, thinking if it's worthwhile getting a carseat-pram....

Doona? I have that. I find it very useful and sturdy. I think one of the mummies also have that. She is using it as a rocker too.

The only downside is that it will be hurting on ur back to put in and take out from car. Not suitable for xiao Jies. If u have a guy helping u each time, then no issue. And another disadvantage is that you may need to change your pram pretty soon. Said to last until 2 years but it all depends on how fast your little one is growing.

Today my drive to my mum place was a breeze. Baby contented after direct latching and fell asleep throughout the ride. Only wake up when I reverse parked the car at destination. Heng ah cos there was a massive jam along AYE today. Got car accident.

Thanks for the review @KWL ! Hrmm oh dear. Both my cousin and I suffer from back issues. Like that, looks like I have to stick with bus/mrt....

U are fully expressing right. The number of times u are using pump far exceeds mine. Bound to have wear and tear :)
Ya lo fully expressing, my hub also said the same, wear and tear .. Sigh let their technician checking on it now.. Got to drag my sleepy baby out early in the morning. Now at Tim ho wan eating while waiting for medela to call me, my baby can sleep in this noisy environment haha

Hehe, havent been loggin in recently but reading all your babies growth story makes me wanna meet you guys up so much <3
learnt alot from this thread ever since I found out my pregnancy. Like my guiding book >< Lets find one day and have a meet up guys! Not sure if anyone interested.

See ya there @emk! :D

Not sure if bubbles is going through another growth spurt, or cos she slept so much yesterday, could hardly put her to sleep today, and she kept nursing, had another spit up but it wasn't as bad as the merlion ones.

Sigh

Hugs Snowfern jnr. It's not easy being a baby sometimes!

My LO definitely has found a new vocal cord. Her cries sound different now compared to just days ago. Hit high notes.

And somehow she doesn't like to be bottle fed the same position lately. Fusses. The moment I lay her down on my arm she struggles and wanna get up. And she'll only suck the bottle few seconds and cry liao. Prefer boobs. But feed on bouncer she's still quite ok with bottle.

So is this a kind of bottle rejection? How to tackle the issue?

Doubt me joining the July party. Enjoy ladies and babies.

Hugs Snowfern jnr. It's not easy being a baby sometimes!

My LO definitely has found a new vocal cord. Her cries sound different now compared to just days ago. Hit high notes.

And somehow she doesn't like to be bottle fed the same position lately. Fusses. The moment I lay her down on my arm she struggles and wanna get up. And she'll only suck the bottle few seconds and cry liao. Prefer boobs. But feed on bouncer she's still quite ok with bottle.

So is this a kind of bottle rejection? How to tackle the issue?

Doubt me joining the July party. Enjoy ladies and babies.
hrmm. When bubbles was particularly colicky (tummy bloated or gassy when tapped) she would refuse certain nursing positions. Or cranky and wanting to sleep. Sometimes it's just too warm, and the combined body heat bugs her, I know this because she would calm down when I walk near the fan, or move her from cot to mesh rocker.

Back