(2015/05) May 2015 Mummies

Pumping works machiam like a factory (in my words), no demand, dont need supply, close down.
So when got demand ur body works harder to produce more milk for ur baby. Thats y pumping is like ur bb's latch. If ur bb latch more frequently, it tells ur boobs ur baby need more milk, so ur boobs will produce more. If u pump / latch less or even drag, means u dun need so much supply, it will go down.

Yes like purplehunny mentioned. beginning only colostrum, but urs to take 8days for milk flow, honestly is quite long. But at least u did start with a 10ml! I guess u no longer pump out colostrum right?
There are foremilk and hindmilk (foremilk is very light in colour, hindmilk is thick might even be white or slight yellow, and only comes out after hindmilk is pumped out). There is no hard n fast rule to how much one can produce, or how long it even takes to build up the supply. 10ml per pump, if u pump 7x = 70ml (may be enuff for 1 feed? Or even not enuff is ok , at least is a start.. U can combine all the milk tgt in the fridge (within same 24hr timeframe) so can slowly have extra feed for bb.

I took domperidone in yr 2011, supply was low like 15ml, den 1.5 days later hit to 70ml, but i really pumped 3hourly even at night. Subsquently is important to continously be hardworking to maintain supply for at least 1-2mths. I used to drag for 10-12hrs due to work (able to pump 900ml at one session). But of cos everyone body is different, so very hard to guage if the amount yield is 'normal'..

I believe hardwork and lotsa scarifice is needed if u wan to pump for storage, like cannot go out long hrs, need bring pump out, ice packs, pump n pump away..

For me i takes 3 whole mth to stablise the supply and reach my max. Sometimes now i skip night pumps, but daytime i work harder, try to get on par daily supply.. Yes, it is really mental straining, sometimes ur LO cries in middle of pump session, have to stop, latch den pump again ...but i tink at least it a way to kip the milk flowing... Pump latch pump.

I know when u feel ur boobs soft, ur first reaction is sigh no milk... But actually it might be producing... Or maybe ur milk ducts might jus be lesser, but its okie too. Jus slowly warm up ur body and dun stress urself since u start on domperidone. Jus take it till u feel ur milk is 'enough', say maybe 100ml each side. Dun stop trying if u able to hold on lor.. Anyway i sense u really have the die x2 all the way dont give up kind of aura! :) jiayou! Time is all u need....

Haha I think u misread my msg, I am only pumping drops, not 10ml....if I have 10ml maybe I will feel more encouraged! Yes 8 days v long, don't know why LC nv say anything when I saw her on day 6 and I only just have swollen tissue, not milk engorgement.

I get the part about demand and supply. But I just tot everyone starts with a decent amount like first pump 10ml or 20ml then build up. Not the case for me....seems difficult leh from the drops I see and milk come in soooo late that I suspect I really do not have much milk to pump lol.

Yes I started on the domP pills so I will monitor see if any increase. I started to try power pump today and will try again tmr.

no colostrum. The drops look like fore milk that's translucent and diluted looking. No hind milk at all.

:oops: Ooops, i reli misread u.. Hehe. End up make u read so long text :p

So now the swollen tissue has subsided?

Can try taking fenugreek as well. It helps, at least for me.

Anyway, anyone encounter heavy spit up (I hope it's not vomit) from baby after each feeding? My LO starts to have spit up occasionally. Sometimes alot, sometimes little bit.

I wonder if it's due to overfeed or I didn't put him upright enough when feeding. But at his age (2 weeks), im only feeling like 60ml, not considered overfeeding right?

Yawnz, finished my pump n trying to settle down back to sleep. This cow journey is tough :( cannot imagine how to carry on for 6mths (my goal), and its just been 1wk+ for me. Luckily got u guys to whine to.

Can try taking fenugreek as well. It helps, at least for me.

Anyway, anyone encounter heavy spit up (I hope it's not vomit) from baby after each feeding? My LO starts to have spit up occasionally. Sometimes alot, sometimes little bit.

I wonder if it's due to overfeed or I didn't put him upright enough when feeding. But at his age (2 weeks), im only feeling like 60ml, not considered overfeeding right?

Spit up does not mean those projectile vomitting kind right? If its those like dribble dribble out type, its fine. N 60ml per feed for 2wks old is ok, def not overfeeding. My boy today oso keep spitting out. Realised he cant take too much at one shot so gotta feed 30ml then burp him and feed e rest. So feeding takes quite some time but better than him spitting out my precious bm lor.

My boi since 11pm with his marble eyes staring n making lots of noise ...
Do u all pump wen bb slp soundly? I everytime have to wake hubby up jus to pump :(
Duno how to tire out this bb..

Mine also will spit out almost every feed, sometimes like 10mins later after latching. Shld be normal i suppose. The residue of his 'spit' is like those curds, quite thick.

My baby sleeps from 12 midnight till 3am and I woke her up to change diapers and get her to latch but slowly she dozed off... Pumping right now...

Reporting for MOTN pump!
im doing that too..more like 3am pump.
have been a silent reader and its been very helpful following the thread because i know im not in this alone...

we rented a phototherapy machine after the doctor's advice as my baby's jaundice level rose after 7 days post birth. tmr will be the follow up visit with PD and i hope shes doing fine. for the 1st 7 days i just did DL and i thought it would be sufficient. then when i decided to try pumping 3 days ago i realised that for 20mins of pumping one side there was only 10ml. so she had been deprived of milk for 7 days and thats the reason why her weight dropped by 200g. so anyway for the past few days i had to put her on DL, then pump. then alternate feeds will use FM. Im wondering if my milk supply is sufficient cos she drinks 70ml for a 10 day old baby and each time of 30mins pump yield 40ml. so i need to pump 2 rounds to feed her once. I try as much as possible for her to DL 10mins before pumping to help stimulate..but it gets sooo tiring to pump cos have to wash and sterilize and dry and clean etc etc.....

Hope ur bb jaundice be cleared at next checkup!
I think v soon ur supply will catch up on her demand.. Jiayou! Now jus try to pump when possible lor, no choice with the hassle... My friend did share some tips on how to save time for pumping moms, like to rinse the pumps and put in a ziplock bag, den throw in the fridge to use for next pump session. I try see can find the website to share, thou some tips i also wont try to use after reading either. Hehe.

Hope ur bb jaundice be cleared at next checkup!
I think v soon ur supply will catch up on her demand.. Jiayou! Now jus try to pump when possible lor, no choice with the hassle... My friend did share some tips on how to save time for pumping moms, like to rinse the pumps and put in a ziplock bag, den throw in the fridge to use for next pump session. I try see can find the website to share, thou some tips i also wont try to use after reading either. Hehe.
thanks so much!! i definitely do not want to keep sterilizing everytime..i want to accumulate at least a few before sterilizing sometimes i feel like im selling char siew buns when i lift the avent sterilizer..maybe can do a facial mist steam at the same time..its 430am already we shld catch up on sleep!

Realised my LO having fever, dun wan to latch nor drink frm bottle, puked twice. Worse dun wan thermometer under his armpit @.@""" .. :(
Yawnz he really can test my endurance lvl...

:oops: Ooops, i reli misread u.. Hehe. End up make u read so long text :p

So now the swollen tissue has subsided?

No lah your reply had a lot of useful tips also. Heehee, I feel clearer on what to do coz my supply is non existent and I don't even get whatever the Internet is saying about let down! I have no such thing.

Yes tissue swelling subsided...coz boobs feel softer alrdy not firm swollen like past few days.

thanks so much!! i definitely do not want to keep sterilizing everytime..i want to accumulate at least a few before sterilizing sometimes i feel like im selling char siew buns when i lift the avent sterilizer..maybe can do a facial mist steam at the same time..its 430am already we shld catch up on sleep!

Haha to your selling char siew buns when lifting the sterilizer. I feel you too. However, I've asked the PD and he recommends sterilizing after every pump. I know many mummies simply put it in a container/ziplock bag and store in the fridge before the next pump but it seems to be different from what 2 different PDs and a LC suggested. So I've been following the sterilize after every pump. It's so so tiring!

Realised my LO having fever, dun wan to latch nor drink frm bottle, puked twice. Worse dun wan thermometer under his armpit @.@""" .. :(
Yawnz he really can test my endurance lvl...

Oh dear! What making him having fever? Better go and see pd. My boy having flu recently n pd ask me to monitor his temperature frequently n reduce his milk intake everytime. Coz Whn baby not feeling well he will tends to puke more. Therefore givg less milk each time will help to reduce the puke. Take care ya!

@furbee time for a new IR thermometer. It's much easier for taking temperature for infant.

I have bought a set of Freemie previously. So essentially I have 2 sets of pumps (excluding the machine). So I only wash and sterilize after every 2 pumping sessions. Especially helpful for midnight pumping session..

I dun sterilise everytime de, esp if I hv to pump twice in e middle of e nite / early morning. I will use the bottle detergent to wash my pump parts, then put in ziplock bag. Daytime i pump less times cos got latch, and CL helps me wash.

Spectra really less parts to wash. Last time my freestyle got so many parts, washing oso troublesome.

Mummies, I myself feel a little down and emo, any advice?

fast forward 8 days post partum, my milk just came in today. Earlier LC confirmed my milk did not come in. Is it due to laziness in stimulation during early days or I really have no milk supply? I'm not sure. I can only pump a few drops today. And it's really droplets!

I want to continue but I don't know how. It seems abnormal to only pump drops yday and today despite 3 hourly pump.

Anyone can guide me what to do next? Am I able to continue or am I fated to just give up on starting the bf journey?

To be honest my LO is thriving on formula and I am not stressed but just sad it's not that I don't want to feed her with the best but my body doesn't want to produce. She can also latch very well (I feel very good suction instantly) but she doesn't want to because simply there is no milk to reward her suckling. :(
Perseverance - continue pumping to stimulate don't give up. Doesn't have now doesn't mean the milk won't come later. Lots of fluid!

I'm intending to buy a 2nd electric pump.. possibly a Spectra 9+ due to its portability.. anyone has any comments on this pump? Or any other recommendations?

@twirly, I know how you feel. I'm now in the hospital and have been for the past week. My little girl, 7 week old was admitted for gastro infection. It started innocently enough but her xondition deteoriated and she went into severe dehydration. We were transferred to high dependency for 3 days. They installed a drip line for her and came several times a day to prick her and draw her blood for analysis. They also fasted her. She was so weak she didn't even have the strength to cry. She was just mewing to express her discomfort. I tried not to cry but tears flowed naturally. I understand how you feel. It's extremely distressing. We r still in hosp as her diarrhea has yet to resolve. It's been 10 days. But she's slowly making her recovery. Babies getting sick is tough for the parents. You have to hang in there and have faith in your lo. Your baby will come through. They just need time to heal.

I've been a silent reader all along, but I just want to let @Purplehunny know, you r amazing. Whether u bf or not. U r a mom first and foremost. Your baby needs you. She can don't drink your milk but she can't not have your love. You had a tough journey. Good job pulling though it. Jia you!

Well said!

Oh dear! What making him having fever? Better go and see pd. My boy having flu recently n pd ask me to monitor his temperature frequently n reduce his milk intake everytime. Coz Whn baby not feeling well he will tends to puke more. Therefore givg less milk each time will help to reduce the puke. Take care ya!

Yeah thanks for the advice. I didnt reduce the intake therefore he puked. This morning cut half, but time taken to wake up also half the time earlier. Lucky now 37.5.. @dreamersg i do have the forehead them, but my SiL bring to sch to use on her kids... Dot dot dot. So yea need to buy again, didnt expect bb will get feverish, somemore this kinda weather.
I bought S9+ from sg website BabyJoa, i emailed them alot of times before committing to buy too. Their replies r always very fast. So far the pump serves me well. I now use 1 side Fs, 1 side S9+ (Cos if dual S9+ i got no hands to compress) . Delivery took ard 3-5 days, korea warranty. Can also order from Qoo10. I think great to get the massager breast shield if u intend buy spectra, makes pumping slight more comfy. :)

Do u all give baby wear sleeveless? I been giving after he reach 1mth, but abit worried he might catch a cold...

@szechtay ,ur sharing on perservence and even staying strong for ur kid is admirable mummy. Yes it wont be easy not to cry, but glad that ur bb is recovering real well. All the best and take gd care too.
Appreciate all the silent mummies sharing, tots, experiences, etc...to remind us that we mummies are never alone..... :) cheers!

I dun sterilise everytime de, esp if I hv to pump twice in e middle of e nite / early morning. I will use the bottle detergent to wash my pump parts, then put in ziplock bag. Daytime i pump less times cos got latch, and CL helps me wash.

Spectra really less parts to wash. Last time my freestyle got so many parts, washing oso troublesome.

It's tiring to wash, sterilize and dry freestyle after every pump but no choice. CL does for me during day but not night time. At night I pumped around 4 times between 11pm to 7am. My massage lady helped me to clear ducts yday. She said need to diligently massage every time before latch or pump.

Someone mentioned this somewhere and I found it extremely useful.

Fill a small milk bottle with cover (not teats) with warm water and use it to massage the beast before/while pumping. I use it like a rolling pin and it works! Less messy compared to hot towel and splashing water every where.

I'm intending to buy a 2nd electric pump.. possibly a Spectra 9+ due to its portability.. anyone has any comments on this pump? Or any other recommendations?

im using spectra 9+now...cant really make comparisons with other pumps cos this is my first time using. .its not noisy at all and the parts r quite easy to sterilize and clean...quite easy to use i feel. bought it frm the distribute blingbing or was it bingbling haha

@twirly, I know how you feel. I'm now in the hospital and have been for the past week. My little girl, 7 week old was admitted for gastro infection. It started innocently enough but her xondition deteoriated and she went into severe dehydration. We were transferred to high dependency for 3 days. They installed a drip line for her and came several times a day to prick her and draw her blood for analysis. They also fasted her. She was so weak she didn't even have the strength to cry. She was just mewing to express her discomfort. I tried not to cry but tears flowed naturally. I understand how you feel. It's extremely distressing. We r still in hosp as her diarrhea has yet to resolve. It's been 10 days. But she's slowly making her recovery. Babies getting sick is tough for the parents. You have to hang in there and have faith in your lo. Your baby will come through. They just need time to heal.
Thanks for your words. Glad to hear that your baby is getting better. I hope this will be over soon for you and your hubby. So heart shattering hearing babies need to be on drips,tubes etc. hugs.

im using spectra 9+now...cant really make comparisons with other pumps cos this is my first time using. .its not noisy at all and the parts r quite easy to sterilize and clean...quite easy to use i feel. bought it frm the distribute blingbing or was it bingbling haha

Thank you for the feedback! So far most of the reviews I read online are good.. wondering if it's really that good. Qoo10 sells it at $140ish which is reasonable.. still looking around for more review on this pump..

My CL warmed my EBM thinking that bb wants to drink but she went back to sleep. So the milk is left at room temp for an hour. Can I still give it to my bb?

My CL warmed my EBM thinking that bb wants to drink but she went back to sleep. So the milk is left at room temp for an hour. Can I still give it to my bb?

For me i will give my bb, as long finishes within 2hrs.. Some mum prefer to warm a new ebm. So it depends on ur comfort lvl :)

Do we need to clean baby mouth and tongue? The tongue got white stain from the formula milk. But whenever I want to clean, baby doesn't want to open his mouth wide enough for my finger to go into his mouth.

Do we need to clean baby mouth and tongue? The tongue got white stain from the formula milk. But whenever I want to clean, baby doesn't want to open his mouth wide enough for my finger to go into his mouth.

My confinement nanny uses a soft cloth to clean her mouth and palate. Maybe u can try that?

For me i will give my bb, as long finishes within 2hrs.. Some mum prefer to warm a new ebm. So it depends on ur comfort lvl :)
If EBM/FM put inside warmer, how long can keep? Sometimes after I warmed up the milk, baby fall asleep, so the milk still in the warmer for two hours, should I give it to baby to drink?

Hi all mummies,this is a long post. I went through 13hrs of labor without epidural or other pain reliefs. After all the stitching etc,was back to labor ward at 8pm. Throughout bled a lot but I thought was normal cos heavy menses. (I didn't know my case was excessive) till all visitors left then I told hubby I super dizzy. Nurse checked me & realized it was a condition called vulva hematoma where blood clot was stuck inside and couldn't flow out. The clot was at the place he stitched up.

1am gynae came back and I was pushed to the OT. Low blood pressure so had no time to let the local anesthesia to kick in. My stitches was removed,he dug out all the clots & huge gushes of blood came flowing. Realized there was a tear deep inside close to the cervix that was not stitched up earlier,thus the excessive bleeding. He claimed that it's too deep that he can't see the tear earlier. So I was stitched up again,raw,awake,screaming and kicking till the nurses had to pin down my legs. I really thought I was going to die.

Gynae said normally ppl stitch up 1inch from the inside,but mine was 3-4inches deep. My face turned white for 2wks due to excessive loss of blood. Came home & couldn't do anything nor latch baby. Stand up only dizzy. Black out in the hospital few times. Fast forward to all the difficulties in pumping,my right nipple has a scar and makes the flange hard to fit properly. So a lot of abrasions & blisters. I persevered for 3wks but suddenly my milk supply became overwhelming.

My breasts was hard rock after 1hr. Not full,it's hard rock! I couldn't take it to keep pumping every hour. It was crazy! It may sound insulting for mummies who have not enough milk supply. But every hour,and that pain on the nipples every hour,the rock hard boobs,my breasts is filling up too fast. ML helped to clear but the same shit happen after she left 2hrs later. I tried to drag to 2-3hrs then pump but 1hr already become rock.

These 3wks+ I haven't had rest at all,and the pumping (pro long sitting down) had caused my wound to open abit. By right natural delivery 1wk can heal. But due to my complications it need longer time to heal. Now that my vaginal wound open up a little, and those hourly pumping that I couldn't sleep at all,I'm saying goodbye to breastfeeding.

As I brought out the last bottle of milk,I looked at my baby and burst out crying. I felt sorry for her & most insulting is that I've a lot of supply yet I chose to give up. The abrasions that never gonna heal,the rock boobs,the wound etc etc. it's such a lousy feeling that I hope all mummies never gonna go through.

But my hubby said he need a healthy & happy me to take good care of baby. LC also encouraged me to stop breastfeeding cos I'm in so much sufferings. It should be a happy affair. Baby is turning full month this Sunday. Yet I still can't walk properly. No choice but to extend CL for another month. I really don't know how to help myself either. Gynae said only can let the wound heal by itself,takes time. Sigh.

I hope my wound heal soon so that I can enjoy baby. I haven't carried her for more than 5mins since birth. Cos the weight will add pressure to my wound. Felt so lousy.
Sayang... understand how u feel. But at least bb gotta taste your precious breast milk before and she will be growing up strong. Sayang

Hi mummies. Thanks.
Don't have time to reach forum already.
My CL cancelled last min coz she can't enter sg.
Now I bath baby since first day home.
My mum never care for children she dunno how to bath bb.
Night also full time I care.
Lucky still have mum to cook few more days.
Next week onwards, bb 1 week old I gotta do all cooking washing n everything myself leh. Hubby also back to work.
Sure won't hv time to talk here again liao.
Jiayou mummies and take care.
Pop by when u can!! Heeee

I used sterile gauze alternate days to clean baby's tongue. A lil difficult tho. Hard to get the tongue totally clean, but at least the white residue is thinning.

Bought the silicone mouth cleaner for baby at kiddy palace last 2 days and just tried it on this morning. I think gauze is still easier to use than the silicone cleaner. The silicone is bigger hence hard to insert it to baby's mouth.

So at this stage, gauze is still a better choice.

@happycsk , u can also try using warm towel to massage ur breast before u latch her. I duno if u have the time, but can consider to pump every 2 hourly, but limit to 10-15mins per session. It takes time to have milk. If that doesnt work in 2-3 days, den maybe ur boobs dun really have enough milk ducts/'vessels'..
Its actually quite common so dont despair.. Like u say, if u really have to stop, jus stop.. Cos it be more tiring and saddening to only see droplets right?
Lastly, u may consider domperidone, it worked for me when i had no milk previously. But there r side effects like mood swings, emotions, etc. i only took for 1.5 days den milk slowly came n i stopped tking the pill. Another common pill is motillum, not sure it it works the same way, but i know of friends who took it to boost supply.

Hopefully it helps u abit, n give u more considerations before u truely stop bf-ing, cos ur bb latches well...so quite a pity to miss out the bonding. :) jiayou! Dont feel stress...stress can slow milk production wor.
(Pssst, maybe can ask ur hubby suckle see really no milk anot.. Haha. My hubby DIE DIE wont lah :p )
@furbee.. I forced my hubby to suckle.. but he say no have. Dunno is he dunno how to suckle or wat

If EBM/FM put inside warmer, how long can keep? Sometimes after I warmed up the milk, baby fall asleep, so the milk still in the warmer for two hours, should I give it to baby to drink?

I dun think its a gd idea to leave in warmer for 2 hrs leh...
I not sure if leaving it warm will it b breeding grd for bacteria?

Actually hor, i think only for my elder kid (2yr old) i feed max 2hr ebm tat is warmed leh. Till now i nv warm up ebm n leave for 1 hr for my LO..cos he finishes under 3mins.
I think infant better finish asap seems better lah... So i think can skip my earlier post!!

I aso use cloth wipe 2x a day... Cant go deep in cos he get cranky wen uncomfy..will try wipe his gums too..

Jjmom, Ur hubby so on leh!
My hubby always say he not a milk person nor sweet tooth. Kopi o no sugar so no hope to help me if i encounter blocked duct. Lol.

Nobody will understand the journey of breastfeeding except mummies. Hubby, mother and mil will only ask to give formula milk when they see baby still crying after breastfeed. They sounded so simple yet the emo n ups n downs nobody seem to understand. Haiz...

My turn at kkh... Need to admit bb as fever 38.2 & below 3mth old. Sigh. So crowded.... No single rm either arrrggghh! Wonder hw to bf or pump with 4 other parents ard. :confused:

I'm at kkh too. Still am. The first night there wasn't a single room as well. I used a breastfeeding shawl and closed the curtains. And I sat facing the wall. Lol. Hope your baby's ok.

Back