(2014/10) Oct 2014 Mummies

Just asking...Did any mummy test positive for strep B and gynae prescribed oral antibiotics? I tested positive in wk34 and taking antibiotics now, and gynae wants to do another swab test in wk36. But from what I've read, strep B comes and goes, so even if I test negative in wk36, i may still have it when I deliver, so have to put on IV antibiotics anyway. So why must take swab test again?? I don't find the test painful, and it's only about $60 but I find it unnecessary.... Any other gynaes doing this?

@shabsrina, think can lah.. JB near near only. If you driving in, shd be safe. Take public transport then chances are ppl might knock into you.

@nanadeedadee, thought gynae usu give insert into vagina for the infection?

I dunno...my gynae gave oral antibiotics. I thought insert is usually for yeast infection? mine is strep B bacteria.. Part of me is wondering if he's just trying to make money off me...

thanks for sharing. Guess its hard to tell if the cord is pressed tightly then and we can only pray for a safe delivery.
Ya just that I know of some mums who freaked out when they saw the cord around the necks but not to worry too much :) nature created the cord to b quite elastic n as long carefully monitored by gynae should b ok

Can! My #1 & #2 were both found cord round neck during week 35-37 routine check up normal scan. Dr still show me the color difference on the 2d ultrasound scan.

Yup the colour scan is the Doppler. It measures blood flow. Maybe some gynaes have it in their clinics but some don't so depending if they can use it conveniently as a normal scan :)

Yah I was told cord ard the neck cannot be detected by normal scan.

Mine causes fetal distress becos it was tightened her neck each contraction, which leads to low o2.But as per what u mentioned ,if not tighten then ok.

Yikes! But glad everything is fine for baby and u now!

Ask u ladies, u think I can still take the risk to go jb in my 35th week? heheh. So far baby's doing fine.
Cause there's this clinic in JB, does 3d/4d scan pictures and also video of the scan, costing only at RM100.
So cheap compared to doing it in SG. so many gd reviews on the clinic also!
Yah... im cheapskate lah ok i admit. hehe :p

I still go Jb in my wk38 ;)

Sorry for misleading.. I think I'm too tired. Hehe! I means no bath tub provided by Mt. E Novena.

It's really tiring juggling between a newborn & a toddler. Got to take care of ourself also. My body so tired after bending over to cchange diaper...zzz

Yup the colour scan is the Doppler. It measures blood flow. Maybe some gynaes have it in their clinics but some don't so depending if they can use it conveniently as a normal scan :)

Should be ba.. don't know how they operate the scan but even the 3d scan was done by the same 2d scan machine in my gynae clinic.

Anyway my #1 cord round her neck very tight. The redness disappear only after 2-3 mths after birth. By c-section.

Congrats to your newborn! Thanks for the info & look forward to your updated bill when discharge... hope the actual bill won't be so high...

Upon discharge, we'd paid another $500 as final balance. So plus $3k as deposit. Total is $3,500 cash.

Tmc 4bedder (stay in 2bedder-short of 4bedder)
Elective C-section + Ligation

I think the most enjoyable thing about confinement is to enjoy nice food cooked with wine and ginger. Most unbearable is the smell on my body, luckily weather quite okay without fan. I can't even stand abit of wind blowing around me this round, I'll cough and make my wound real painful. Today is the 5th day without bathe. See how many days I'll tahan...

It's really tiring juggling between a newborn & a toddler. Got to take care of ourself also. My body so tired after bending over to cchange diaper...zzz
How u all cope? I also handle baby and toddler in the morning first. Mum come to my place with my elder son ard 3 plus after school end. I am very tired too. Now thinking who to take care of baby when I abt to go work. Mum cant take care 3. Thinking of helper...

@agaga, no CL? Bad to bend & stress your back leh.

Tot u say your bill ard $8k? Now only $3.5 ok what.. Scared me.

U didn't even wipe body? I think by day 3 I must bathe alr. Normally one day I alr bathe twice.. Can't imagine confinement.
How's your breast feeding coming along?

@mama_joanne
My mom and I staying together so I'm more 'relax' than u handling all 3 by yourself.

My eldest will be going to and fro school by herself but need my mom to prepare her in the morning and all her meals. Alternate night my mom will help with my newborn so we each get 1 good night sleep. So my 2yo will either sleep with me or my mom, she still wake 1-2x for night feed. My mom is a supermom, got to take care of all of us!!!

I'm planning to go back to work after 5-6mths. So I'm planning to put my 2yo in childcare (prev plan is 4yo then go school)

Still thinking what to do. Plan plan plan... but domestic helper is out for me. Don't want to educate another 'daughter'...

@agaga, no CL? Bad to bend & stress your back leh.

Tot u say your bill ard $8k? Now only $3.5 ok what.. Scared me.

U didn't even wipe body? I think by day 3 I must bathe alr. Normally one day I alr bathe twice.. Can't imagine confinement.
How's your breast feeding coming along?

No Cl. My mom help me out. Actually was sitting on bed change diaper but still backache leh... but I try to lie down as much as possible when settle everybody down.

Yaa, only 3.5k for cash portion
Scared me death also.. where to find so much cash to top up..lol
Anyway the medisave portion is $5600 in total
Total bill is $9100 less medisave $5600 = $3500 cash lor

I think the most enjoyable thing about confinement is to enjoy nice food cooked with wine and ginger. Most unbearable is the smell on my body, luckily weather quite okay without fan. I can't even stand abit of wind blowing around me this round, I'll cough and make my wound real painful. Today is the 5th day without bathe. See how many days I'll tahan...
Waaahh 5th day w/o bath.so good u can tahan.me i cannot,after 4 days i shower already.

How u all cope? I also handle baby and toddler in the morning first. Mum come to my place with my elder son ard 3 plus after school end. I am very tired too. Now thinking who to take care of baby when I abt to go work. Mum cant take care 3. Thinking of helper...
agree so tiring,need to wake up for newborn everynte,haizz,need to adjust again,coz my daughter is 7yrs old now.huhuhuhu i really wish i can have a goodnte sleep everynte which is impossible.mybe if my hubby no work i let him handle d newborn so i can hve a good nte sleep also huhuhuhu.but seeing my little ones face its worth it hehehe.not easy to be a woman,ha!

Last edited:
Should be ba.. don't know how they operate the scan but even the 3d scan was done by the same 2d scan machine in my gynae clinic.

Anyway my #1 cord round her neck very tight. The redness disappear only after 2-3 mths after birth. By c-section.

Wah your gynae's clinic has really good scanning services! Mine if want to see 3D or Doppler have to go to the scan clinic. Till now no 3D pic of my baby cos the last few times at the clinic she cover her face lol. For the redness to disappear after a few months must b really tight man

Hi.. my edd is 9 oct. I just had some brown discharge.. should i go clinic 1st or shld i go straight to hospital? My gynea had warned me thru out my check up tat i shld go hospital straight once i hv any symptom of labour since my #1 is quite fast. But i dun wan to be induced.

Hi.. my edd is 9 oct. I just had some brown discharge.. should i go clinic 1st or shld i go straight to hospital? My gynea had warned me thru out my check up tat i shld go hospital straight once i hv any symptom of labour since my #1 is quite fast. But i dun wan to be induced.

How's your contractions? If still far apart and not intense I think you can wait it out at the comfort of your own home for now first?
Call your gynae one they open later to double check?

Oh wow..such a strict diet! salute u for being able to follow ur diet properly. Afterall, we just want the best for our little ones. 300grams in 5 weeks is not too bad i guess..
my bb gained 250grams in just 2 weeks, between week 31 to week 33 of my pregnancy. And in fact I lost 1kg within that 2 weeks.
But my gynae confidently said that bb's taking up my hubby's genes. Ha Ha! Pity my hubs.
Cause he's tall and slightly plump for his height and when gynae asked hubs on his birth weight (3.9kg), gynae said it proves that fact even more:p. So bad hor.
But lucky we're cool with those remarks. ;)

@shabsrina ,
you are controlling well also... I lost 3 kg in total of the 5 weeks... I tink partly because i was worried and couldnt eat... worried of the need to inject insulin...
Your case is cos ur bb follow ur hubby genes so its normal for your BB to be bigger... Nothing to worry...

seems like after birth, there will be no sleep... so jialat ah?
@agaga, i rem you have inverted nipples... how is your BF this time???

Not no sleep laa.. just not whole stretch of 8-10 hours in a go. If u are latching then can only rest 1-2hours after b.feed.

I'm feeling very weak in hospital and I was shivering despite aircon was turned off. So I decided not to try b.feed and my breast engorged on the 3rd day, very painful. They are super hard like rock after I wake up and I can't move or turn. So I asked for pills to relieve. My baby drank formula milk from day1.

Tmc also provide ice-cold cabbage to put on breast.

If no contraction pain, then it may not be so soon. During my #1 I had brown discharged for almost a week. I only admitted when I have fresh blood with closer timing of contraction pain. Probably u can observed first & call to check with yr gynae too. Do take care & rest well as u may pop at anytime too.

Not no sleep laa.. just not whole stretch of 8-10 hours in a go. If u are latching then can only rest 1-2hours after b.feed.

I'm feeling very weak in hospital and I was shivering despite aircon was turned off. So I decided not to try b.feed and my breast engorged on the 3rd day, very painful. They are super hard like rock after I wake up and I can't move or turn. So I asked for pills to relieve. My baby drank formula milk from day1.

Tmc also provide ice-cold cabbage to put on breast.

I'm also inverted nipples & that's quite tough for me to breast feed. I did tried but failed too. So, now I only using breast pump. Same I'm having engorged breast too on 3rd day. Super pain! Whole day "busy" with my breast. Hot compressed, massage, breast pump & pump my breast by hand too. Tried all the ways but not much improvement. End up I tried the cabbage. It helps to reduce the pain & sore but not the harden lumps. :-( Now already getting better as I continuous hot compressed, massage & pump. But every 3 hours only 1oz..got to feed mix with formula.

U took medicine? I heard taking med very effective but it will stop producing milk?

@angel_loi , My purpose of taking the medicine is to relieve the engorgement and stop the milk totally. So that I can carry my girl in my arm. Otherwise it's too painful. So medicine is the fastest, I think. Since my past 2 experience were no milk production.

I'm also inverted nipples & that's quite tough for me to breast feed. I did tried but failed too. So, now I only using breast pump. Same I'm having engorged breast too on 3rd day. Super pain! Whole day "busy" with my breast. Hot compressed, massage, breast pump & pump my breast by hand too. Tried all the ways but not much improvement. End up I tried the cabbage. It helps to reduce the pain & sore but not the harden lumps. :-( Now already getting better as I continuous hot compressed, massage & pump. But every 3 hours only 1oz..got to feed mix with formula.

U took medicine? I heard taking med very effective but it will stop producing milk?

If u hv a lot of supply don't use hot compress. Hot compress opens up the milk ducts. N end up increasing ur supply. U cold compress the breast but warm compress only the nipples to soften the milk lumps. Once ur hard lumps feel soft quickly hand express out. Don't pump.

I had v bad blocked ducts issue for both my #1 & #2. So bad that I had mastitis. So I tried all means n ways under the guidance of my LC to clear. The more I pump the more enforced I got cos the main problem is milk cannot come out.

The best is baby latch combine with hand express.

If you don't intend to BF anymore just take painkillers as prescribed that hospital supply on discharge. the supply will go down. Somehow one of the side effects of those painkillers is reducing supply.

@angel_loi , My purpose of taking the medicine is to relieve the engorgement and stop the milk totally. So that I can carry my girl in my arm. Otherwise it's too painful. So medicine is the fastest, I think. Since my past 2 experience were no milk production.

Agaga. If u are engorged means you have production. But if you have decided to stop bf then go with your heart!

Actually what u can do is eat medicine then when you shower u hand express out the milk. Will deplete v fast. Hehe.

When I decided to stop bf I just waste all my milk in the bath. Don't latch, don't express to reduce production. Then excess just hand express to prevent engorgement

@popie , I get what u mean. Engorged means got milk. But I tried to express, nothing comes out leh. I used to express for more than half an hour only 5ml of milk in total. So I think formula milk is the most convenience and salvage my sanity. Happy baby & happy mummy ;)

@popie , I get what u mean. Engorged means got milk. But I tried to express, nothing comes out leh. I used to express for more than half an hour only 5ml of milk in total. So I think formula milk is the most convenience and salvage my sanity. Happy baby & happy mummy ;)
Agree!!! Me too! I try to breastfeed my LO but seems not enough for him!

My first baby i used to think I have no milk too. Didn't help that ppl around me told me I have no milk. But I was leaking milk and no matter how long I pump no milk came out. And I was engorged. Breast was so hard and painful. In the end I went to see my LC and she told me i have blocked ducts. she helped me massage for more than an hour to release. I BF for 7.5mths after that. And the 2nd baby was ok but not without issues. I am famous for blocked ducts.

For me cos I really wanted to BF so I didn't give up. But what I am trying to say is sometimes because of lack of knowledge, we think cannot. But actually it is not as hard as we imagine. But it is not easy also. BM has so many benefits. Be a pity to give up if you have the resources for it. So I am always happy to encourage people around me who are trying. :) Cos I benefitted from learning from my LC. There are so many little tricks you can use to release the BM.

Jia you!

Show u all this:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

Actually bb no need a lot of milk.
But cos BM is so much more easily digestible compare to formula we hv to feed bb like cow. Both mine in the first week I feed every 1-2 hrly latch on. If you compare to formula. Formula fed usually can stretch to 2-3 hrs one feed. So less tiring for mummy.

So really depends on what you want lor. Different ways of doing things. If you want rest then formula better. But if you want to BF then have to work harder and more suffering. :)

Cheers!

Anyone bathe on 1st day after delivery?
I hv purchase the recommended body shower foam and the ginger creamm...wonder can bathe right after c section?

Yup I agree with @popie that b.milk has lots of nutrients provided mummy is eating well. I do encourage ppl b.feed also If nipple is leaking, do not waste milk.

Sometimes it's just a easier way out to just tell myself that 'I do not have milk, don't waste time'
'Taking care of myself is more important' 'Don't stress over the breast milk, formula milk is just as good'

The lactation consultant at TMC isn't very helpful, my inverted nipples are not easy to latch, she still say I do not have a single drip of milk coming. Just give supplement, don't let your baby go hunger, otherwise jaundice level will be high if baby is dehydrating.

Which I find that this option is better. To give formula milk. And I'm happier too ;)

Anyone bathe on 1st day after delivery?
I hv purchase the recommended body shower foam and the ginger creamm...wonder can bathe right after c section?

You probably won't be able to bathe on the 1st day of c-sec as you'll still feel giddy after the op. You can try bathing on 3rd day. That's what I do in the hospital. But I didn't really bathe. I wash my private part with shower gel, splash abit of water here and there. After that, wear socks and wear long pants, long sleeves cos hospital aircon quite cooling.

@agaga

Ya, that's what I know taking med will stop producing milk so I never take it. As I plan to feed with breast milk at least 2 months. My milk not much too but I believe once I pump more often, I will get at least 2-3 oz on next week.

@popie

Now no more engorge breast.. It's softer as I really work hard on solving my breast. Every 2-3 hours massage, hot compress & pump takes ard 1 hour. Now I can easily pump out in 30mins. Feel relieved..

I agreed that breast feed is not easy at all but I would still suggest don't give up if possible. It takes at least 1-2 days for mummy to focus on breast & a lot of hard work. Now I considered myself is success as I can pump 1.5oz in 30 mins whereby at first nothing at all in 1 hour.

Jia you all mummies..

Yup I agree with @popie that b.milk has lots of nutrients provided mummy is eating well. I do encourage ppl b.feed also If nipple is leaking, do not waste milk.

Sometimes it's just a easier way out to just tell myself that 'I do not have milk, don't waste time'
'Taking care of myself is more important' 'Don't stress over the breast milk, formula milk is just as good'

The lactation consultant at TMC isn't very helpful, my inverted nipples are not easy to latch, she still say I do not have a single drip of milk coming. Just give supplement, don't let your baby go hunger, otherwise jaundice level will be high if baby is dehydrating.

Which I find that this option is better. To give formula milk. And I'm happier too ;)

Yup! Don't sink into post natal depression. Just do what you can. Looking back I was very insistent to BF my #1. Was very affected when my CL kept saying things like cannot BF or no BM. Got super agitated and kept crying. I also didn't sleep alot cos need to keep nursing baby. My bb was jaundiced. alot of ppl ask me to give up BF but i said no to very advise. just insist on BF. think i was having PND but not diagnosed. Not healthy.

#2 experienced already. So could balance BF and rest. Felt so much happier.

All in all must balance. BF is good but not at the expense of bb and mummy health.

So all mummies ESP first time mummies, don't guilt trip yourselves. You are all already doing the best that you can. Jia you!

Congrats Zeropanda!

Today my confinement lady coming in , I hope I can rest as much as possible with her around.

Back