(2014/08) August 2014

Hi all..im back home but bb keep waking up every 2hours. So tired. My back aching and shoulder very tense...but thankfully my mum n hubby n CL v cooperative and take care bb.
Can i ask how many days u all take up for post natal massage?

Sigh. I tot baby can be discharged today but his jaundice level is still quite high. Have to see if his jaundice level dropped tmr or not. How many days did ur baby stay in the hosp? I hv problem with my milk supply too. 3 hrs max 25ml. How do increase the supply further? Many thanks mummies.
My baby discharged with me 3 days after delivery. His jaundice fell below 10 on day 3 after 24hr under the photolight so managed to go home. But 2 days ago went back to PD the jaundice went up again to 12.6 cause I wasnt feeding enough...the PD didn't make him stay in hosp she just told me to feed him more and put baby under the sun at home. Next week going back for checkup.

You can increase breastmilk supply but regular pumping and eating more food that improve milk supply. Refer to the list of food posted earlier on in this thread. Common ones are green papaya fish soup and logan red date water.

Sigh. I tot baby can be discharged today but his jaundice level is still quite high. Have to see if his jaundice level dropped tmr or not. How many days did ur baby stay in the hosp? I hv problem with my milk supply too. 3 hrs max 25ml. How do increase the supply further? Many thanks mummies.

My bb also still in the hospital... Was out of ICU yday and expected him to be back today but levels still high at 13.8. Only dropped by 0.7 after 24hrs... Slow progress...

My friends advices
1) pump for 20mins (15mins to clear breast and 5mins more as stimulation)
2) after pumping, drink water and wait for breast to fill
3) breast massage (I find most effective for me)
4) pump every 2-2.5hrs (I didn't follow this, need rest, was feeling abit down and tired last nite)

I read from this thread and followed this: massage breast b4 pumping, pump for 15mins. Stop and massage any lumps, pump additional 5mins... When I pump I keep massaging and I see squirts!

Yielding about 40-50ml in 3hrs (I dun follow the 3 hrs strictly...

Hi all..im back home but bb keep waking up every 2hours. So tired. My back aching and shoulder very tense...but thankfully my mum n hubby n CL v cooperative and take care bb.
Can i ask how many days u all take up for post natal massage?

Planned to take up 7days...

Hopefully bb can come back tmr and I can settle myself down with him ard... Hope to start next week. So not used to see my slagging tummy...

My breasts are very engorged, any suggestions? It is very painful and my bb lached incorrectly so have bruised nipples so pumping is very painful but have to! Also any suggestions on how to heal bruised nipples fast??

My breasts are very engorged, any suggestions? It is very painful and my bb lached incorrectly so have bruised nipples so pumping is very painful but have to! Also any suggestions on how to heal bruised nipples fast??
I apply medela tender care lanolin overnight and it helps to soften some of the hardened milk. Works well for me. If u are having milk blisters or bleeding nipples better to avoid latching for a day or two. I tried to hand express if it is too painful to pump. Can try to put abit of olive oil on the pumping shield to avoid too much pulling on the nipples which will worsen the soreness. I use earth mama cos it is safe for breastfeeding.

Planned to take up 7days...

Hopefully bb can come back tmr and I can settle myself down with him ard... Hope to start next week. So not used to see my slagging tummy...

Ok i will take up 7 days too.
Dont worry..your baby will be fine. My bb jaundice level still ok but doc ask me let her expose to morning sun.
U engage malay massage lady or sign package?I'm gonna start with a young chinese lady...recommended by my girlfriend. Hopefully she's good!

My baby is only 4 days' old (Sunday).

Since Sat, I've noticed hard lumps in both breasts. I've tried pumping and got around 10ml of yellow substance. But there are still lumps. Been pushing the lumps in the direction of the nipple. Any advice on whats happening and what to do?

Ok i will take up 7 days too.
Dont worry..your baby will be fine. My bb jaundice level still ok but doc ask me let her expose to morning sun.
U engage malay massage lady or sign package?I'm gonna start with a young chinese lady...recommended by my girlfriend. Hopefully she's good!

I am engaging a Malay Lady who has been doing my prenatal massage.

She has a package for 7days too. My church friend used her last year and will pass me the binding cloth...

Since Sat, I've noticed hard lumps in both breasts. I've tried pumping and got around 10ml of yellow substance. But there are still lumps. Been pushing the lumps in the direction of the nipple. Any advice on whats happening and what to do?

Had lumps like urs last nite too. I massage hard until the lumps soften. My friends told me if the lumps harden might become blocked ducts leading to fever so I kiasu and just apply pressure and rub in circular motion hard...

In Mount A, a lactation consultant came to visit (part of package) and she shared this with me.

1) burp baby (to remove abt air from crying and to wake baby up)
2) massage breast in circular motion all ard.
3) drain the ducts from outward into aerola...
4) put fingers ard aerola, push in towards ur body and squeeze... Shld have some substance. Collect substance if possible...

I find massage, drain and hand expressing more effective in clearing lumps. Now I continue massaging when pumping. Can see squirts so it does help in draining the ducts.

If need be, get a lactation consultant or massage lady to clear the lumps b4 it aggravate to fever and stuff... Jiayou!!

I think this is normal. You just need to massage those lump in circular motion to soften them and then pump out the breastmilk. Good luck.

Just tried your methods. Manually massaged and squeezed into a bottle. Goodness. I took like the entire night including managing 3 feeds? Thank God boobs feel softer now. Will continue to massage in the day.

I had the same prob previously, I used hot pad n keep massaging also no use. My nipples are clotted can't released the milk. So I got a breast massager and she cleared my clotted nipples and engorged breast.

At day 4 usually the breast will be engorged cos that's when the transition from colostrum to milk begins. on the contrary, the more u drain ur breast at this time, the more milk will come in and the more u will be engorged. Try to not drain completely, just pump or manual express till breast is not engorged will do.

My bb also still in the hospital... Was out of ICU yday and expected him to be back today but levels still high at 13.8. Only dropped by 0.7 after 24hrs... Slow progress...

My friends advices
1) pump for 20mins (15mins to clear breast and 5mins more as stimulation)
2) after pumping, drink water and wait for breast to fill
3) breast massage (I find most effective for me)
4) pump every 2-2.5hrs (I didn't follow this, need rest, was feeling abit down and tired last nite)

I read from this thread and followed this: massage breast b4 pumping, pump for 15mins. Stop and massage any lumps, pump additional 5mins... When I pump I keep massaging and I see squirts!

Yielding about 40-50ml in 3hrs (I dun follow the 3 hrs strictly...
Thanks! My baby just got discharged from hospital. I tried your method and got abt 35ml in 3 hrs now. Hopefully can increase the supply further now tt baby is home.

Thanks! My baby just got discharged from hospital. I tried your method and got abt 35ml in 3 hrs now. Hopefully can increase the supply further now tt baby is home.

Lucky you! I missed my baby! Today went to visit him and still cannot come home :'( I started crying at hosp cos I have been hopeful everyday for past 3 days. Guess I'm emotionally tired...

Still pumping and bring milk to him twice a day...

Good thing is I get to shower today and washed my hair! I think I will try to shower every day from now. It's liberating!

We gals shld meet up once we settle our babies! After 3month or something. B4 ML ends...

Lucky you! I missed my baby! Today went to visit him and still cannot come home :'( I started crying at hosp cos I have been hopeful everyday for past 3 days. Guess I'm emotionally tired...

Good thing is I get to shower today and washed my hair! I think I will try to shower every day from now. It's liberating!

We gals shld meet up once we settle our babies! After 3month or something. B4 ML ends...

You can rent the uv machine home if needed ... did you ask the hospital or pd for this possibility ?

You can rent the uv machine home if needed ... did you ask the hospital or pd for this possibility ?
For those bb that hv jaundice, do u all still teke ginger, wine n sesame during confinement?
As per my pd, he advise me not to tske these three items.
So I feel like I m not doing confinement for body recovery.
At e same time, still vv worry abt bb's jaundice.
Hv to go polyclinic so often to chk her jaundice level.

I know! I was crying yesterday when the nurses told me tt baby cant go home. I started crying again when i was abt to return him to the nurses last night too. Thank god he was discharged today if not i am quite certain i am gg to cry again. I discharged on thurs and he only managed to be discharged today. It had been difficult for the past few days. Hang in there. It is very tiring to cope with the confinement routine plus the daily commute to the hosp. Jia you k. Ur baby will be discharge soon

For those bb that hv jaundice, do u all still teke ginger, wine n sesame during confinement?
Really? i still take as per usual, though lesser cuz i really dun like ginger. Wat is the rationle?

I stopped taking wine for the time being as per advice from my PD. I also reduced the ginger intake as my gynae told me some doctors do believe that it has some impact on baby jaundice although my PD didnt explicitly state so.

I also feel that I am not doing my confinement properly as I am very tired most of the time from waking up to do pumping...sigh...I increased my pumping interval from 3 hr to 4 hr now so I can have more rest in between pumping :p

Oh yes I also drink longan red date drink everyday. I am drinking it like water during confinement now. Other than taking medicine I have not drink any water since delivery.

Ya very tiring to pump 3 hourly but actually can stretch to pump after 6 hours...just that the breast become super rock hard after 6 hours but dont think it is advisable to do so although there is more milk compare to 2 x 3 hours pumping (2 x 110ml). Yesterday I tried pumping after 6 hours for 20min and got about 290ml. Sometimes I missed my 3am or 6am pumping when I am too tired lol...

Your milk is producing good..my bb is already day 17 but before latch I can only get 40 - 50 ml .. i'm currently eating confinement food but still not producing as much as you.. hopefully can get more milk don't really want to top up with fm. .:(

Your milk is producing good..my bb is already day 17 but before latch I can only get 40 - 50 ml .. i'm currently eating confinement food but still not producing as much as you.. hopefully can get more milk don't really want to top up with fm. .:(

Dont worry im same as u..my gal is 17th day old but my supply only 40~50ml each side.. n my gal's appetite is increasing..stay positive!!!

Don't worry about topping first. Just make sure you eat well and drink alot of soup for the milk production. I am like drinking one whole pot of soup per day by myself and on and off drink logan red date water when I feel thirsty...must remember to take care of your own body while looking after baby...

But I realised pumping 3 hourly is really very tiring and I look at the pumps like sometimes only pumping air...so today I switch to 15min 4 hourly so that I got more time to rest in between :p now can get about 250ml in 4 hours...but the breast become fuller over 4 hours so need to wear breast pad if not the milk will leak and wet the clothes

Don't worry about topping first. Just make sure you eat well and drink alot of soup for the milk production. I am like drinking one whole pot of soup per day by myself and on and off drink logan red date water when I feel thirsty...must remember to take care of your own body while looking after baby...

But I realised pumping 3 hourly is really very tiring and I look at the pumps like sometimes only pumping air...so today I switch to 15min 4 hourly so that I got more time to rest in between :p now can get about 250ml in 4 hours...but the breast become fuller over 4 hours so need to wear breast pad if not the milk will leak and wet the clothes

ur supply is really good. so envy.

my boy is day 22 now & drinking abt 90ml every 2-3hrs. but I can only pump 50-60ml every 3hrs. have to supplement with fm. sobs. :(

Hi mummies, anyone of you experience this...my LO cries whenever I try to hold him but he stop crying when any one else attends to him...I don't know why is he behaving this way...does it mean he doesn't like me? I am heart broken and puzzled...

Hi mummies, anyone of you experience this...my LO cries whenever I try to hold him but he stop crying when any one else attends to him...I don't know why is he behaving this way...does it mean he doesn't like me? I am heart broken and puzzled...
Omg i have the same problem.. I have been crying everyday.. no body ever emphasis on how hard breastfeeding is or the first few days post birth.. bb is 6 days now and I feel like this is the longest and hardest week i have had and it doesn't look like its going to get easier anytime soon

Maybe its the position of u holding him? My hubby also emo when my girl don't like to be hold by him. Then the tried other pattern or holding and she is ok.

I also think maybe is the way you hold him that he doesn't feel comfortable.
Just play around with different holding method..
Initially, my boy also keep on crying and pushing me away when I tried to hold him to breast feed..
But after many tries and adjusting holding methods, now he latches on better and feel comfortable to fall asleep in my arms after feed.
Don't give up, the little ones are in us for about 40weeks, there's no way they don't like their mummies..
U can also try bonding with him by letting him sleep beside you, let him get used to your smell and presence.

I also think maybe is the way you hold him that he doesn't feel comfortable.
Just play around with different holding method..
Initially, my boy also keep on crying and pushing me away when I tried to hold him to breast feed..
But after many tries and adjusting holding methods, now he latches on better and feel comfortable to fall asleep in my arms after feed.
Don't give up, the little ones are in us for about 40weeks, there's no way they don't like their mummies..
U can also try bonding with him by letting him sleep beside you, let him get used to your smell and presence.
Hi mummies, just wondering hw do u all handle direct latching and expressing milk? I do not hv milk to express after latching

I am direct latching. If u have no more milk to pump after latching it just means ur baby has emptied ur breasts. Actually there's no need to pump if u are latching well and baby is satisfied after sucking on ur breast.

It is actually not so tiring if u do not have milk to express after latching on..
My bb spent about 30min - 45min on latch (including struggling time) and then after that my breast still feel very full so I have to spend another 30min to express out the milk..
Time seems to pass by so fast, after express, bb wakes up for his milk again shortly.

hi mummies who have brought ur babies to polyclinic for vaccination, can help advise how to go abt doing it? when shld I schedule the first vaccination appt? and how to make the appt (by call or online or)? thanks!

Just go counter anytime now and tell them u want to make appt for vaccination. To schedule date one mth after birth. They will book for u. Walk in polyclinic.

I finally popped!
Admitted at 8am today and baby gal came out at 12pm! Very cooperative.

ImageUploadedByForum1408343981.319102.jpg

Ladies with confinement nanny - how are you ladies delegating the work?

How about sleeping arrangement?

I took baby from her room into mine the past two nights - reason being its easier for me to monitor and I don't want to wait until he's wailing then feed. But hubs is affected and asked why we hired a nanny if we still go through this.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Personal preference I guess.

I have friends who room baby with them throughout. I have friends who leave baby with CL throughout.

I think you need to work with ur husband on expectations.

For me, my husband is not affected by my pumping sessions through the nite. But I'm not sure abt the baby wailing yet. When I was staying in Mount A, husb slept throughout both night feeds with lights on. So I will try to DL baby tonite (first night home!) and leave CL to make bb sleep.

CL is suggesting that she feeds bb with EBM for night feeds so that I can rest more. I dun mind but I still need to wake up for pumping so might as well DL? If husb is affect by my baby wailing, then I might DL in the living room. 10-20mins per feed only. After feed still pump to drain breast.

All trial and error, hope it would work out tonite!

CL will listen to you, so you have to work with ur husband instead...

Back