(2013/01) Jan 2013

Snowger and canopy : can you use other brands bottles for medele freestyle pump? what brands can fit?

ladies, do you think it is neccessary to buy bottle warmers? if not, how do you warm up frozen expressed milk? how do we know if the temperature is just right?

Valerie,
Both my kids are also sleeping together with us too but i make it a point they sleep at their own place instead of my masterbed. I also keep introducing the idea that once CL left, all 3 kids will sleep in their own together. They tell me 'dun want'
I told them daddy sleep with them n i sleep with bb also dun want. They said all 5 of us must sleep together. They will let bb sleep in between them. We were like ermmmm...

Mine will also be c-sect. My edd is on 15 Jan so gynae said will be 2 weeks earlier. I was thinking of end Dec.

Snowger / Freesia,
It also time to go dig my pump from the store. It has been them since 2009. I know i need to replace the funnel. Nedd to check what part need to get extra.

To be frank I dun know if i can succeed in breast feeding #3 though i fully breast feed my #1 till 30 months n #2 till 20 month. Back then i was a sahm so i take care of them according to my way. For this time time round, mil will be taking care of #3. She dun encourage bfding cos she say it is very ma fan. All 3 sil's kids taken care by her were never breastfed before. Sil dun know how to pump or latch so her usual practice is to ask for pill to stop milk 2nd day afterI
delivery.
I've got a feeling milk will ask me to give formula if she were to take care.

Angeliqueous,
I've got Avent milk warmer. The new type tat ucan set if the milk is frozen or from chiller n it will just warm up accordingly. It pretty good. If u intend to bf for long, worth to invest in 1.

Just went for detailed scan yesterday. I am expecting a baby gal.
happy.gif

@ canopy, thanks babe

@ hammiebao, hhhohohohhh... bil is 25, single also this yr.. born in the year of rabbit and he is a nurse. lol...

@ Fullhouse, i agree with u abt tcm.. Never tried pills cos not sure what content they put inside. I prefer EYS...

@ aspialle, congrats babe

@ angeliqueous, agree with u on PEM. U are lucky to get a CL.

@ bblove, that a dilemna if the child is taken care by others except IFC. Perhaps ask hubby to tell mil that bfeeding save $$$ as FM will be very costly especially stage 1. Tell mil just take out the bottle from fridge and warm it in warmer which is faster and no need to check the water temp / the scoop of FM.

I also have Avent milk warmer same as urs = )
and it really a good investment. no need to adjust the temp just turn press accordingly like if milk in fridge, press the picture indicate fridge..

@ belle, ard 140 if i am not wrong cos mine was ard that price in June 2010 . Parenthood fair is coming in nov, can check it out.

Belle,
Outside selling for $89.00 back then in 2008. I got it for $65.00 during Philips Canival sale . You can check if Taka having any promotion.

bblove, thanks for the info.

6 years ago, I didn't have a milk warmer, always using warm water to thaw milk and had to wait a long time, sometimes baby kept crying I would give up waiting and just latched baby on again. In the end, I had to throw the thawed milk away coz I heard thawed breastmilk cannot be refridged again.

How long does the milk warmer take to warm up the milk?

bblove: my 2 kids react like your 2 kids. Last nite I was telling my gal again that upon my delivery of her sister, she &amp; her brother will sleep in one room as her bb sister will wake up a few times for milk...she said: no, we all hv to sleep together, its okie that bb cry for milk <faint>...

Sorry may i know your bb gender??

Bliss,
MIL ever comented before that if leave her to take care of bb, have to follow her way since she is the caregivers during sil's time.
sad.gif

She is ok in everything except breastfeeding. None of my sil breastfeed their kids except me.
To me, it not only a matter of FM being expensive but also for their health being that BM is the best. What more 1st 2 kids i take care of myself, I get to watch every 1st step of their milestone. The bonding between us is so strong. #3 MIL will take care. Already feel tat no chance to be with bb ffor all the milestone except to give bb BM for the best. If Mildun want think i will cry man.

Belle,
It takes abt 8 mins or so for frozen milk. For chill milk around 5 mins. Usually i just select the icon n let it warm by itself while distract bb. I see if i can take the pic n upload.

It such a waste to throw away yr BM. What I did was to give bb milk spa. But of course got to bath bb in soap n water. Otherwise BM have a very strong metallic smell.

angeliqueous, u can use all standard neck size bottles for Medela pumps. i used NUK standard neck bottles for freestyle, sometimes use the glass bottles from hospital as well..

Valerie, haha.. why not update the table and input baby gender on the table so that we know who having what bb gender? heehee..

Snowger, Freesia, BBlove, actually what does the Medela service centre do if u bring ur Medela pump back for servicing? have to pay rite? since out of warranty period liao. i wonder do i have to bring my pump back for servicing since i just stopped using for just 6 mths.

Valerie ,
My #1 &amp; #2 are both girls. They are comingto 4 &amp;5 yrs old. For #3 we will not be asking for the gender till birth. In fact I went for my check up last friday, gynae asked if we want to know. We said no. My colleagues n Sil all very eager to know the gender.

c-sec
My edd is 7 jan. Gg for c-sec which gynae recommend 2 wks earlier. I'm considering to wait till jan 13 then go for c-sec. Hopefully baby can wait. Otherwise, she have to stress with all other dragon babies during her sch time and prob for employment too.

Medela service centre
I'm interested to know what they do during service too. How much do they charge?

Medela service centre
gals, I have sent a query to them abt the servicing. Cos I seriously have no idea how much or what they will do. Previously I read that the service centre will clean up to ensure that there are no "germs" growing in the pump (which may be caused by back-flow of milk thru the tubes), etc.

When they answer me I will post here ok? ie. the charges and what they do during the servicing. I do servicing is just to make sure that the parts r all ok. Dun wan half way, the pump die on me... :p

snowger, thanks alot!! I tot just change the tubing should be ok to clear the "germs". Coz my old tubing use until quite dirty le. Hopefully the servicing is not too ex. heh..

Thanks Snowger
happy.gif

Erm, my freestyle tubings still clear leh. dun seems dirty. can no need to change??
i thot for freestyle, milk quite hard to get in right? i know for the rest of the medela models, the tubings is attached directly to each side of the connector, so if tilted slightly, milk can come out of the hole thus causing it to go into the tubings. but for freestyle, its covered by the membrane, so no direct contact with milk right?

shice, I am sending mine in for "inspection" cos I have not used it for almost 3 years (last use was Nov 09). I kept it in the store room and I dunno if "wetness" and not using it for so long will cause certain parts to "degrade" - so sending it to ensure it is in working condition (rather than use one week then it die on me and I send it back for servicing). Me also buying a new set of the tubing + membranes &amp; funnel (the last i check, my funnel - soft shield was yellow and sticky... melt liao i think... hahah).

I only know that if u buy the pump second hand, it is always btr to send in to check cos u dunno the previous mummy got "back flow" of milk into the pump or not... :p I rem my BM went into the tube once cos I somehow toppled the bottle with EBM and it was connected to the tubing. The milk somehow went into the tubing. I then washed the tubing before next use. The next day, i bot a new set of tubes to replace.

Nickole, I am not too sure cos I don't use FS so not sure how it compares to the PISA. As for membranes, the PISA also comes with the yellow thing with a white membrane. yr FS only u use mah, so u will know whether ur BM got accidentally went into tube before...

Snowger, ya.. i m the only user of my FS.. heehee.. so theoretically i din spill milk inside so no need change lor. haha.. tubings very ex too.. mine can see water vapour when i m pumping lor. cos i din dry the membranes thoroughly after sterilising so thats y got vapour lor. i will be changing the rest of the spare parts cos my funnels oso sticky and yellow liao. haha..

r u getting ur new spare parts from Mum &amp; Babes or getting it online? i will be getting online, since it will be cheaper alot..
i wonder if many of us will be getting new parts, do we want to consolidate our orders then ask the seller if they can give us a better rate for the parts?? :p

Servicing of freesttyle pumps
I do agree with nickole that there shouldnt be any back flow of milk or water into the pump or milk, mine is constantly dry, i suggest to use a new set of tubing &amp; funnels for hygiene purposes.

Nickole : i don't mind buying another set of funnels and bottles if u ladies are consolidating the orders. I remembered i changed 1 set of tubing &amp; funnels when i used for #1, i reckon i have pumped to hard till the funnel like "disfigured". :p

Nickole : is it confirmed that i can used any wide neck bottles for freestyle? Cos been using only the medela bottles, so am glad if there are some alternatives.

Freestyle tubing,
Mine had no back flow of milk. But I washed it and didn't dry out the tubing properly. After that mould developed.
sad.gif
had to get it replaced.

Freestyle funnels,
I used the soft fit ones, which disfigure and discolour very easily. Now those have been discontinued. Must buy the normal funnels. I don't mind to share if there is sufficient demand for us to get a discount.

Medela and wide neck bottles,
I used avent wide neck bottles. Had to get a convertor to attach to the Medela pump. Cost about $20 for a pair I think?

nikole, yah I should be getting from mums and babes for convinience bah. Cos I don't follow this thread so often (my whirlwind working days are returning next week) so u gals can go ahead wo me.
happy.gif
Like canopyhaze suggestion, do get new tubing if u have washed them before cos more hygenic.

Canopyhaze, if PISA and FS is same in terms of funnel - I suspect that only standard size necks then got hope. Or u have to get those adapators to make them standard neck size. I remember that my other medela pump (Single electric) could still fit those glass milk bottles that the nurses use for feeding the infants in the nursery (Which I got from the hospital)... I think I also used NUK standard neck bottles too.

After I bought PISA, I got abt 6 medela bottles. So usually after pumping, I transfer to milk bags (for freezing) or those glass bottles (for drinking the next day) to put in fridge. Then I reuse the medela bottles. :p

LM, aft I bot a new set of soft fit, the sales person told me actually soft fit can only wash and dry - cannot be sterilised... Otherwise it will out of shape... but yah now no more soft fit already unless is old stock?
happy.gif

Lm: thanks! Didnr know that they have discontinued the soft funnels! Good thing that I have bought an extra set the last time.

If need to use a converter for the bottles, then I will stick to medela bottles then.

Snowger, Canopyhaze,
I just checked on the bulk purchase section there is still at least one seller with remaining stock for the soft fit shields. While stocks last.
Oh...the funnels can't even briefly touch hot water? No wonder none of them lasted long.

medela bulk orders
I'm changing my medela FS spare parts too. count me in if there's a better price for consolidated orders.
happy.gif

Morning mummies!

Did my detailed scan on 28 Aug, and #2 is another boy! Once the sonographer started the scan she immediately exclaimed it is a boy and both me and hubby were surprised and blur at the same time haha. Well 2 boys means can recycle almost everything and save $ but they will prob be super active too! I can say bye bye to buying the nice girly stuff already...

Snowger, thanks in advance to let us know what the medela servcing covers when they reply you... My PISA has not been used since end 2010 and am wondering if I should also send in for servicing (if it is not to ex!).

Mummies, any thoughts on whether should try VBAC or just hv c-section for #2? Gynae says can try VBAC but I also hv feedback from couple of friends that since already c-sec for #1 why not just c-sec for #2 since there is a cut already at the lower belly.

Good morning mummies,

Did my detailed scan yst and waited for an hr for my turn. Mine was done by a ang mo lady, she was quiet thru out and never showed us what she was scanning. My hubby nearly dozee off.. whhahhaah..

All was done very fast in 45 mins, another scan was done by Dr Chang who did another brief scan to show us the major stuff he is looking at. Dr Chang was good and detailed in explaining, never rush thru the scan even thou it was already 5.30pm.

Baby is healthy and all are well. Gynae said that baby is quite chubby so ask me to cut down on Carbo and sugary stuff cos he afraid that i will have difficulty during delivery.

Gd Morning mummies

Bliss, my hubby also almost doze off during the detailed scan. Lol.

Realised the parts of the Medela pump r so expensive..... Tonight going to inspect everything carefully if really need to change. It was kept away since 2010....

Bdmummy, there is several 'crieria' for VBAC right? Recall my Gynae mentioning the size of the baby etc...

hi ladies,

i have my detailed scan on 23 Aug. My 2nd BB is a girl too... I just need to buy bottles only...

I BF my 1st girl until 13-14mths when i found out i'm pregnant again. Have been using Avent double manual pump. Just bought reused Medela electric pump to save time in pumping.

I sign up for my gynea package on my 2nd visit (3rd mth pregnant) for S$700 scanning, med, urine all included until i give birth. After birth got 1 pap smear check up included. Just need to buy fish oil with gynea.

Hi mums-to-be, been reading here but seems like less and less posting.. Assuming most are chatting on FB. Can join the FB group?

Faith, 2nd Jan, KK, Dr Goh SL, Expecting a Baby Ger..
Wondering if i should join dec page too? haha..

BTW, have purchased some maternity wear from Taobao and am very happy with my purchases! Dresses and jeans at less than $20 of decent quality. Even my hubs was impressed. haha. Am thinking of buying more but doubt this time round, i will buy enough to cover the shipping cost. Anyone wants to shop from Taobao? I stay in Jurong West if anyone is keen to join me and and self collect at my place. Let me know via private msg. =)

Good morning mummies,
So many of us are using Medela pump. I'm also a supporter of the PISA. Very lasting, mine was bought in 2006, &amp; motor still working well.
happy.gif

Faith, how much was your purchase &amp; shipping cost? Sounds worth it!

piscean : I'm a huge fan of Medela Freestyle. Swear by it. Just happened to see it @ Robinson last week, I think there's a promotion, the price now is ard $729, instead of the $1000 i think.

Hi mummies,

Went for my detail scan last Friday.. in the report state placenta obstructing OS. Gynae did mention that most likely need c-sec and needa monitor closely. Sian.. my 1st oso placenta low but manage to give birth naturally.

Anyone has this issue previously. i read online... placenta previa sound so scary!!!

Bliss
Woh 45 mins! For my 1st 2 is 30 mins or less. Hubby always enjoy u/s scanning. He is very amused by bb's action on the screen.
Good to have a chubby bb. mine at 20 weeks was 280gm. lighter than a can of coke yet tummy so big. Hubby said the rest is my fats.
My details scan is scheduled on 14 Sept. Guess Im 1 of the last to have my scan here.

Hi mummies,

When is your detailed scan usually scheduled? Mine will be done when I'm 21++ weeks. My detailed scan for my no. 1 also done when I was 21++ weeks.

Yiping,
Welcome! I'm still chatting here. Tat is the purpose of this forum yah! Tonight i go add you as friend in fb.

Thank you to those who welcome me here! Thought everyone chatting on FB hence the lack of activity here... Looks like i am wrong!=P

piscean33: i bought a total of 10-11 items, price of items totalling $70+ and shipping (normal air freight, 2.75kg) at $30+ so totalled to $110. Which i think is very worth it cos even the dresses and shorts i see on gmarket on over 20each! That said, it makes shopping on Taobao super addictive, explaining why i wanna buy again despite just receiving my items on Monday. hah..

Hi mummies,

Am interested to join this grp too. Am I too late? 

Currently, I’ve a son @ 16mth and now preg with No.2 due on Jan18. Going for my detailed scan next mon. Hoping for a girl but my gynae told me mine is a boy. 
Like @BDMUMMY say can recycle everything!!! Haha I even bought girls romper before I know the gender. End up I gave it to my niece who just born out on Aug 6.

You can add me in FB too @ [email protected]

@Yiping, u bought from which agent for TB? I wanted to purchase too! I only know this agent from 65daigou.com 

My detailed scan will be on 10 Sep (week 21+)
Hopefully can know the gender because the last check-up, bb was shy by blocking with the legs. Heard myths saying highly will be a girl. Hence to-date, have not bought any clothes. My priority is stroller/bb carrier.

Hi all, I am new here. I just had my detailed scan at 20th week. My gynae told me that I have high blood flow resistance to the placenta on both my left and right side. She will arrange for me to do another detailed scan for me at 28th week. In the meantime, I was instructed to take cardiprin 100 (a form of aspirin) and lie on my left side when sleeping so as to improve my condition. I googled on this condition and it seems scary. Any mummies has the same problem? Appreciate your advice on this! Thanks in advance!

Back