(2012/02) Feb 2012

icyclaw, don give up bf, BM is always the best. For me I will let my bb cry till hse down while I warm the milk. At nite I will latch cos faster. For my #1, I start latching at nite at 3rd mth cos he is able to sleep thru. Even bb did not latch well at nite and did not fill up stomach, I don care cos most impt is he stop crying and fall back to sleep. Day time I will let him cry. No choice.

Tat time I record how much bb drink and slowly increase 5ml each wk, if he can't finish then wait for 30mins later, if 1hr later still can't finish will throw. But wastage small cos I only increase by 5ml. Mus make sure he can finish all EBM b4 u increase the 5ml.

Can tell u next time hav to warm 100+ of milk at 1 time which takes longer time to warm so not only my hse down, my neighbor's hse also down. But no choice.

As for my ifc, they feed at fix timing so they will warm before so that is warm enough at that time when they going to feed bb.

Icy: my baby always wakes up and immediately scream for milk. So for the 5 min or so of heating d ebm she will cont to cry and scream at d top of her lungs. Dunno if it's my baby or what, but she will only stop when she got her milk. Sometimes she stops crying awhile but continue again shoot long after. There's nth we can do also but let her tear down the house. Right now I'm letting her drink 90ml and she's coming to full month this weekend. I always prepare the ebm in the required qty because once warmed up, the milk cannot be refrozen or stored already. Must finish within an hour and throw the rest away. So you can try to store your milk in the required amount and heat up when required.

Btw do you find that the ebm still seems a bit cold even when the warmer has indicated that the milk is ready? I let the milk bottle stay in a bit longer every time.

My pd is also AAT
Will be changing after the 1 month review
She is super impatient in explaining like rush rush to chase us out

That day I was asking how should I clean my girls nose, she is still so small n fragile
She said jus take cotton bud n dig -.-"
The cotton bud is bigger than my girls nose! Totally so unprofessional in the end I bought this small tweezer meant for clearing the nose..

Even during the first few days after delivery in TMC, she came to explain my girls condition, I only asked afew simple qn and she looks irritated to answer.
She jus left n say I see u next week, never even bother to tell me the time! I have to ask her what time.
Gosh.

Btw AAT said my girl should drink 60ml.. She is abt 3.2kg now..
100ml and above for newborn sounds a lot to me

I will throw the EBM if bb cannot finish.. Yes, wasteful, no choice... Bb sometimes drink more, sometimes drink less.. Wat to do?

Yes, emb needs time to warm up... I will try to sooth bb with pacifier In the mean time.. Last feed & in the night, only FM..
Anyway, I only hv enough for 3 EBM feeds a day.

Qing, she requested us to make prepayment for her professional fees & paid whatever was incurred then when my bb was yet to discharge! End up, we overpaid her by $500 plus & got to wait a few days for the accounts to refund us!

Icyclaw, yup no choice my CL throw away ebm each round also. V hard to be exact. My CL warms about 75-90ml per feed for my 5 day old. Sometimes finish sometimes dun lor. At times throw 30ml away as bb sleepy! Bo Bian.

Usually she will roughly gauge the time bb likely wake for feed (eg 2hrs interval), once bb starts fidgeting or make sound or rooting, go heat milk already and dun touch the bb first so bb won't start anticipating milk immediately.

For cases where bb wake up crying badly for milk, I am quite flexi if she makes fm instead. Overall each day my bb takes about 2 fm feed, the rest will be latch or ebm. Per feed average 60-80ml now.

I keep having strains of brown discharge since b4 lunch till now. What does tat mean?? I'm dilating? Still nvr feel any pain leh.

So mummies, after feeding Ebm/fm how to know what is enough? Keep sticking the teat in till her mouth refuse to open?

If still awake after that then what do you all do? Carry and walk the hse? Trying to restraint from doing that to prevent baby from getting used to it le.. Yesterday after feed Ebm, dunno is haven't drink enough, just open eyes big big, sleep on cot for a while then start making noises.. But aft latch then, unlatch on her own n slept in cot..

soul:

tks for the rec but i stay near novena... oh i heard for premies, its best to stick to the same PD for at least a year jus so that the dr knows the history...that;s what my friends with premies do

xia:

united sq clinic is great for me. do they have night clinics? wanted to bring my girl to the dr for her allergies n since she is in sch, i need a night clinic. thanks for the rec! i will check out the TMC ones if i haven popped..haha

mummy:

yr hubby also away? wah...seems like alot of us r left to b "supermoms " haha. i've jus signed up for a maid too cos i m afraid if CL leaves, i'll b alone too with a very active girl. yes, teh maid;s salary has all increased mine is a new phil for $450 w/o off. ive jus changed to this agency. cant tell if they r gd thou..

khim:

wait 2 hrs to c PD...wa..must b very popular...can i eat fenegreek to induce labour?

GG:

my friend say she walked in to polyclinic in the morn n they usually give u priority to c dr first if u r coming in with a bb. i use to go kidslink when i was staying in the west. the meds they give r rather effective

oops:

ya, thin mayb i'm too stressed till i can't get into labour. haha. yr #1 is still very young...tough on u too...u can consider buying a double stroller :p m not working...alot of errands to run thou. gd thing u send yr bb to stay with yr in laws so u can get rest. but u better get someone to check on u daily too n keep yr hp always by yr side so u can call 4 help..but ya...guess going back to off helps too. i stay near yr off...mayb one of these days can meet 4 lunch too.

icyclaw:

did u get this big sticker thinggi to paste over yr scar? i use it for 3mths n it seems to help. the moment i stopped..the keloid started growing...some parts have, some parts dun have n the last time i did not use the gel to stop keloid...as gynae did not give me...ask yr gynae for the sticker n the gel to use after u r done with the sticker. it was very ex to keep using the sticker so i stopped after 3 mths..i cut it into 2 as it was a long strip...mmmm if yr scar is longer than better use the whole strip...cos i tried to save n end up keloid on the sides

shobieann:

congrats!!! i remember for my first i had e csect n my milk supply only really kicked in on the 4th day? jus keep latching n if bb is super hungry the nurse will tell u to supp with FM n keep latching...dun b stressed. more stress, less milk...i know easier said than done...i rem i m more happy wen i was in the hospital...more relaxed. when i went home, it was like a zoo...plus no more AC...haha

MOMS in WAITING:

are u guys free for shopping or brunch to "walk it out?" haha
r u guys doing anything to induce labour naturally? any tips?!! at the rate i m going....i might end up in the march thread!!!!

pineapple, wan to meet tmr for lunch if I'm still not in labour? I wan to PM you but u don accept PM. I don accept PM too leh. Hmm.. how to contact each other ah.

Latest upd, start to see little jelly thingy dropping out together with the brown discharge. Shld be mucus plug dropping out slowly.

Hazel, but really no feeling at all leh. If go then false alarm then sian leh. I also don knw wat to do. Maybe I call KKH ask a nurse to ask.

Kirsten, I would recommend Dr Janice Wong. She is good and very detailed when explaining to us on our baby's condition
happy.gif

Zeal, surprisingly Filipino is cheaper as my sister just got her Filipino maid at $420/$430 per month. Also no off day.

Hazel, same here......3 ebm feeds per day -_-

ging3r, cannot use cotton bud to clean nose! The LC at TMC taught us to roll the cotton wool to clean and never use cotton bud for newborn...

Icyclaw, usually after a while u agar know how much she takes on average so that's a rough guide. Then i see if she continues wan to drink I let her drink. She push out the teat when she doesn't wan anymore.

Pineapple, yes, dr heng right? He is one of my preferred pd too! But for jaundice check no pt as they not able to give u blood test result immediately. They have to send lab. So polyclinic is next best, other than going to tmc or other hospitals.

oops:

u really solid lei!! still wanna meet me for lunch tom?!!! think u better go n get yrself checked!!! btw i can accept PM already :p

GG:

yes dr heng is very gd. the one at chinese garden right?somehow his meds works...at times b4 i travel i actually travel back jus to c him to stock up meds for my girl. yr bb got jaundice? need to hydrate bb more or sun bb but not direct sunlight...better call yr pd to ask but i heard it peaks on the 7th day or so..when they drink more milk, it helps.....

GG Lee, may i know where is dr heng located? duno if i should change pd or not? btw, what are the things to look out for in pd?

Pineapple, yes, dr heng is good. First visit for no 1 I didnt like him dat much but from 2nd visit I realize he is really good! He is good with kids, my no 1 loves him, never ever cried for any jabs from birth till now. He knows how to engage and distract them in a very comforting manner. Ya jaundice peaks 5th day actually. Today managed to sun bb and also did the herbal bath. Seems better but anyway will bring to check blood tomorrow.

Shan, he is from kidz link at Jurong. Opposite Chinese garden mrt. His wait time is long though. The bad thing is some of his counter staff nice, some sucks. And no appointment so must wait. For pd, what I look for ( after trying out a few) are experience such dat they dun over react and frighten their patients, knows how to handle bb or tods in a very comfortable manner, genuine care for patient. I ever tried another horrible pd in Jurong till now I feel so bad to put my boy through it. He literally pin him down together with nurse just to insert suppository (fever medicine) into his anus and my boy cried like mad. My hubby said it was like gang rape literally! And he kept giving us a very worried look like it was so serious yet when we ask he like dunno wat to say. Dat was my worst experience! Problem us kidz link dun open sundays so I tried this out and was horrible! Am still trying to find a pd I can use on Sundays. Lesson learnt since then was if my boy sick on sat morning, I will rather bring him to dr heng first in case get worse by sunday. And u will learn to always standby certain medicines for emergencies such as high fever. I even bought our own nebuliser machine so in case of bronchitis we can DIY at home. Had a horrible experience at KK A&E. Totally lousy! I transferred my boy to gleneagles straight away.

pineapple, jus started to feel very mild contraction cramps but interval very long away. So shld be coming soon. Can wait till super painful then check in to kkh.

Jus PM you. Let u knw again if I can meet u for lunch tmr. Gynea wan me to walk more so gd to go out for lunch a walk a bit if I'm still here.

Shan, just to prep u, he wears a mask throughout!! So first look some pple dun like, including me. But then actually it's understandable. When u talk to him, u will like him. He is also some consultant in children cardiology.

GG Lee, what did your pd do to your newborn with cough? my baby seems to have cough. i brought her to pd and he say they too young, cannot do anything. let them cure themself. not sure if it's a good advice....

what did your pd say last time?

Any advice for gassy babies? I am doing total BF (not pumping so don't know amount), and though try to burp baby she won't always cooperate. Today poor baby super gassy.
sad.gif

Wonder if it is the Motherlove supplements?

Just went for my edd check today. Am actually 1cm dilated with contractions every 6-8mins. So it's gonna be Tml or the day after. Suppose to walk more but I super lazy, need my afternoon nap. To be honest...I didn't know I got contractions if I didn't do the ctg. I guess this is not the ultimate one =p

@opps: Jia you!

Lynn, oh the cough was when my boy toddler. Nb dat time no cough. But from wat some of my frens experience for their young bbs, yes usually they dun advise medication. If you not comfy with the pd advice, consider 2nd opinion. Doc Ngiam at gleneagles is well known for treating cough, bronchitis etc and popular pd. Very experienced and well regarded in pd circle.

Beemummy, normally direct breastfeed not so gassy compared to ebm via bottle leh. Did u eat any gassy food (onion, broccoli etc?). May wan to see if any gas causing food u took. Can try putting ruyi oil on bb tummy and feet. Some pple give their bb 'rid wind' drops but I never try b4.

Lynn, bring bb to Yu Guo. No need medication. The tcm dr is v good in tui Na & is always crowded with bb and young kids. My Malay massage lady also knows as she will bring her bb to Yu Guo last time also whenever she has cough, fever, etc.

I think many of the lactation aids (teas, herbs, domperidone) are the cause of gastro distress, whether it be gas or other things. I am going to reduce my intake of these herbs and the domperidone, and hopefully it will help matters without reducing my milk supply.

For the Ru Yee oil, safe to apply directly to the skin of newborns???

to all mummies
thanks for the advices on pd
i thought we mus only chose the pd located in tmc hosp.so far AAT comment seem not vgd.then for mummies whose pd not located in tmc after 3 days do u all bring yr baby to the respective clinic?

Beemummy, ru Yi oil cannot apply onto bb skin directly. We shared earlier, we put on our palm n run together until warm then place our palm on bb's tummy, back n feet.

Kirsten, not necessary though usually the pd at the hospital is the one you follow. Some gynaes will ask of u have any preferred Pds but not all PDs will go to tmc lor. So end up for convenience usually use the pd your gynae partners with. But this round I din bring to that pd for review as I dun find her v good.

Shan, yup like hazel say, put a few drop on your palm, warm your palms by rubbing until it's like absorbed on your palm then cup your palm on bb tummy. Even for tods is same, cannot just drop the oil on their tummy. Pls make sure u dun touch water immediately after dat, is v bad cos will feel extra cold.

My hubby jus told me he having fever and sore throat now. Might be HFMD leh. BB coming out soon and he not able to witness bb born liao.

Btw, I'm in office now. No reactions leh. I might be going to KKH later to check it out.

pineapple, u received my PM. Wan to lunch today?

Meifen, u jia you too!

oops:

sry, went out yest till very late....

haven check email

walking give me super bad backaches now
sad.gif
getting tougher by the day...i'm rushing off to c gynae now....tom lunch instead can?...if u r still not in labour, hehe

sry ladies, reply later....rushing off now

Hi Kirsten,
My BB's PD is Dr Wong Chin Khoon. He goes to TMC and also has a clinic @ Tiong Bahru.
He attended to my bb while he is in TMC and I brought bb to his clinic for the follow-up visit. Quite a pleasant doctor. Seems to have his way with bbs and kids... For your reference.

Pineapple - waaaa I Neva ask b4 wo. Cos din have nid to go at nite b4. Clinic name is aglow. number is 62599554. U can try call and ask. =)

Kirsten - pd doesn't nid to b at tmc. Just as long as the pd goes there. After 3 days nid visit pd ma? I dun rem how long but when the pd visit u can ask him/her when should follow up b.

Meifen - keke we really gonna b ward mates? I going to my last gynae chk up today. I hope. Hahhahah. Been getting more serious cramps from ytd nite. Dunno if will happen today not. Mebbe tml also? Hehe

Lynn - normally nb sick doc will try to encourage wait it out so tat bb immune system can try to fight it off and bb become stronger. BUT if im not wrong high fever or cough with phelgm den they will do something abt it.

Mummies who are Bfg, need some advice. If u get let down b4 bb is awake for feed, do u wait or do u pump out?? I wan to latch but sometimes timing not match. Wondering shd pump or just leave it. Else sometimes pump Liao then half hr later bb is up won't have much to latch le.

Just finished off at gynae. Onli 1.5cm dilated. Bb 3.3kgs @ 40wks. Cramps on and off. Neva hook me up to ctg though. Doc say likely tonight if not tml. Still alot amniotic fluid but If by tml not out I will induce on sat. Cannot tahan liao... Tummy v big! Alot stretch marks! Sianz!

Opps - the blood mite b from cervix chk. My gynae says if fresh red blood must admit ya! Alot brown blood also admit to chk liao. She say also if low amniotic level must monitor bb movement. Jia yous vbac! =)

Morning everyone, just finished morning feed for bb. Any one up at this time too?

Hazel, this TCM massage sounds interesting, do we have to make appt to go? Where is it?

Beemummy- u mean the gas that our baby experienced came from the supplement tea n domiripone we r taking? Oh dear! Didn't know abt that, always thought bb's gas was due to ebm bottle feed. Now I'm in dilemma, bm supply already at all time low with supplement, if I stop the medication n supplement, I'm afraid my bm supply won't last.

Jen, refer to the link I sent above for address. Walking distance fr kembangan mrt. Is always crowded, ESP at night with bbs and young kids. Is not cheap. I was told 40-50 bucks for bb per visit. Basically, it uses massage n tui Na to treat ailments. They give med too but if dun wan to take can tell the physician. My massage lady told me her daughter has bonichitis at 6 mths. But on neubaliser by KKH... She brought her to Yu Guo for tui Na.. Her bb puked out the plegms. Her daughter has fever, Yu Guo "Gua sa" to perk out the heat. I stay near Yu Guo.. I used to see long q at night when I brought my nephews for walks.

U can call m try to make an appointment. If not, be prepared to wait.. Not advisable coZ bbs there usu r sick.. Later spread the germs. For us, we live near there. Can always go take a number n go home. Our turn then bring bb there.

Good tcm I mean..

Xia, congrats! Will see ur little darling soon! Ya I already cannot tahan my big belly when 38 wks, can imagine 40 wks!

U can ask ard your friends or colleagues with children.. Yu Guo quite famous one.. Adults also go but is more famous for young bbs n kids.

Hi mummies
I have 4 brand new dryers size S (64 pcs) to let go at $46.
If you are interested please kindly pm me
Meet up at Toa payoh, boon Keng or whampoa, Tiong bahru(Sunday's)

All the best OOps, pineapple and Xia! Very soon already! My e-c-sec this time is so comfortable under my gynae PT!! I cannot believe I have done a c-sec - recovered faster than my neighbour who had natural delivery!

Lemon: I have the same PD as you for my #1. I like Dr wong!
happy.gif
Very detailed and never in a hurry. Will bring my #2 to him too for the 1 month check.

Effect on milk production
Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) appears to be the herb that is most often used to increase milk supply. It is an excellent galactagogue, and has been used as such for centuries. In one study of ten women, "the use of fenugreek significantly increased volume of breastmilk" [Swafford 2000].

Mothers generally notice an increase in production 24-72 hours after starting the herb, but it can take two weeks for others to see a change.

Dosages of less than 6 capsules/day (approx 3500 mg/day) produce no effect in many women. One way to determine if you're taking the correct dosage is to slowly increase the amount of fenugreek until your sweat and urine begin to smell like maple syrup. If you're having problems with any side effects, discontinue use and consider alternative methods of increasing milk supply.

Fenugreek can be used either short-term to boost milk supply or long-term to augment supply and/or pumping yields. There are no studies indicating problems with long-term usage. Per Kathleen Huggins "Most mothers have found that the herb can be discontinued once milk production is stimulated to an appropriate level. Adequate production is usually maintained as long as sufficient breast stimulation and emptying continues" [Huggins].

Read this from Kellymom website, seems like one dosage varies. Think might want to increase my dosage for a few days to see it helps.

May I know any mummies hv weird smell in ur sweat or urine when taking fenugreek and how's ur milk supply?

Hi orangeroses,
Oh...I am bringing my bb there for the 1 month check too =)
Btw, how long did it take you to recover from your e-c-sec? I also had e-c-sec...
Was wondering when I can start going for those post-natal massage...

Back