(2011/10) Oct 2011

hi all, long time no come in here... past week had been crazy!

congrats Jojobar, Hoppy and princessi! welcome to moo moo club [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

lingguan, to increase ss feed on demand, as often as you can. demand=supply. drink plenty of fluids eg warm milo, soups, red dates tea. get supplements like fenugreek/more milk plus special blend, rest alot, don't stress yourself. don't eat danggui, will reduce bm. baby is our best breastpump so latch often. get nipple shields and cream for your bleeding nipples. all these should boost supply for most mummies but not me. my constant latching can't meet his demands so i supplement with FM, same as for #1

I will try to latch on again tonight. Hopefully it works. Tried nipple shield but also end up with bleeding nipple too. Now, I can only pump 10ml every 3 hourly.

Very disappointed with myself that I can't BF like everyone else.

Congrats, Jojobar & Hoppy!!!

Hoppy: i am ok, still in the waiting club, gg to see gynae again next tue, if still no news, might induce or C-sect. According to the gynae at my last check up, even if he induce for me now, the chances of successful smooth delivery is only 20%, so might juz decide to go for C sec

Hi my water bag leak and I delivered on wed. Today is my 2nd day at home. I've been trying to BF my baby or pump whatever milk I have ard every 3 hrs. Now my nipples are a bit sore. How do I recover from sore nipples? Will the condition improve as I progress in the breastfeeding?

Jojobar (mummychanel): congrats!! u got the hang of it quite fast! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

princessi (princessi) : rest the other side for a day, use pump to empty it then try agn tom. jia you!

lingguan (lingguan) : there are capsules and herbal supplements u can take to increase your milk. also got medicine to eat too, gynae can give u domperidone. u can go to WTS thread, there r mummies selling such stuff over there cos they not eating liao. dun b disappointed, the supply will cm back if you eat these.

luv (luvagape): wow, i din noe dangui cant eat! how cm?

MnM (mnm2009) : apply nipple cream to soothe it first, and if possible, rest the nipples for one or two days (ie pump and feed EBM). if wan to cont latch on, then use a cold compress in between feedings to make yourself feel better. the pain is quite bad initially, cos nipple not used to it. takes time for the nipple to "desensitize" then not so pain liao. gd lucks!

Lingguan,

Give your breast a day or two rest. Use formula. I had bleeding nipple on bith sides n it also bled when i use a pump n the ebm was pinkish. I fed to bb but he puked out n has blood stains. I got worried n brought him to see pd cos puked blood???

Pd ask me to rest nipple. Becos the milk was "contamimated" wif my blood n bb stomach not used to such stuff so puked out. You can imagine my panic when i saw the hanky got blood!

Jus rest n put nipple cream. If got dried blood on nipple, when u shower, use the warm water to help wash off. One of the muumies taught me tat n it helps.

Creamdonut is rite, painful.. Even until today its painful.

Hi mummies,

I popped today. Painful experience even with Epi but it's all worthed it after seeing baby.

I was asked by gynae to induce. Check in ard midnight, 1am and 5am insert pill. Doc burst waterbag ard 8am n inject Epi. 12noon fully dilated but head is still high. Doc say bb head is also big, so may need to c sec in worse scenerio. Midwife as me to try to Push ard 1-3pm. Luckily managed to give birth naturally after all. Bb weigh 3.4kg n I just managed to bf colostrum on 1 side.

Ask u all ah, once at the ward, do u change to your own gown? N sanitary pad start using your own 1 or hospital's?

Sweetsnow, yes just change into yr own pjs.

Fr sanitary pad, I used the ones given by hospital fr first day as the blood discharge was heavy. Second day I change to my own whisper pads [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Pofy, hope you are better. N definitely things will get better !! Jiayou!!!

Everybody, as fr breadtfeeding I had a little bleeding on one breast as i overpumped ( sunction too quick). I let it rest fr a day n applied the medela nipple cream. N after that ok.

I usually will apply hot compression using a hot towel to massage to breast to stimulate the milk flow in the first few days. It works fr me and within 2-3 days, milk started flowing. Once your nm cones, no need hot compression.

I also realized that the bm will increase after i let baby latched on !!!

So jiayou m dun gv up on b/f!!

Sweetsnow,

Congrats!

I didnt change to own gown. Thru out I used the hospital gowns. First day was bad for me. My wound was so painful I didn't go loo or move fr the bed. Pads etc was changed by nurses n becos it was so heavy I even stain the sheets n the gowns so lucky I didnt use my own panties or pads or pjs.

2nd day I also use hospital gowns.

Hoppy,

Thanks. I hope things get better too. Let's all jiayou.

Hoppy (hoppy) : omg, wat pump u use? cant set the speed? ya i tink the medela cream is very good. can really soothe the nipple. bt bad thing is tt it stain e bra n clothing loh.

Hi mummies,

The pain was bad yesterday after I came off the drip. Now on oral pain killer and I need to learn to manage the pain. The recovery from c section is indeed longer than natural as I was up and abt on 2nd day when I had natural. This time, the 2nd day was painful but I manage to bath yesterday and walk a but unassisted in the room.

I had stop bf last nite as I want to rest and focus on recovery. Hopefully today I gain better improvement. Thanks all mummies for your concern. I will check out on monday so I need to be as independent as soon as that.

ivine

i delivered on Wed evening. i ask the nurse to give formula cos i need rest n don't want to stress myself. unfortunaly, the next day bb warded at nicu thus did not manage to bf directly but i try to pump out whatever i have. manage to check out on fri. ask hospital for milk so they give 2 bottle. too bad i was not able to bf directly cos she use so use to the fast flow & mine breast is quite full. now still trying to pump often to release the milk. so far she is drinking 30-40ml 3 hrly & I use up the milk given by the hospital. supply ok for now

so you can ask hospital to give you milk for stand by or you can also buy a small formula milk to stand by just in case while trying to build up the supply.

pofy, I have recovered from bleeding nipples. Has been giving her FM during this period.

Managed to latch on last nite but baby throw out all the BM. Attempt again today but she doesn't seem to have the patience to suck, only suck for 10mins every hourly. CL keeps asking me to give baby FM as baby keeps crying. What should i do?

Creamdonut, it was my own impatience n lack of experience to set it at higher speed. After that I set at a lower n lOng drawn sucction speed n it got better. Now my baby is latching on both breasts. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Lingguan, what I will do is feed fm qt the moment but continue to massage and use pump to stimulate the milk. Don't be disappointed. Both mums and babies need time to learn. before u know it you will be Bonding n breasfeeding yr baby!!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi Lvine

I supplemented with glucose water so that he doesn't get dehydrated. I supposed FM ok bit maybe cup feed in case baby gets nipples confsion? I feed BM with bottles only after a week and only once a day.

I also get pain in nipples after latching or pumping. Think it will take time for our breast to get used to the 'abuse'.

Hi lingguan if you are unsure, maybe you can go to the lactation consultant to check latching. My girl also cluster feeds hourly in morning and evening. But I understand from the volunteer mummies at the Breadtfeeding Mothers Support group that we will have milk een though breasts don't feel full. Just latch and latch. Even if baby doesn't get enough at one feed, accumulated feeds should have enough.

I heard and I also believe it - the key to breasfeeding is to have confidence and faith that we WILL have enough. It is nature's way of ensuring survival. And breasfeeding has to be on demand because only baby knows how much he needs. Let's jia you together [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi mummies,

For those who want to breastfeed, you need alot of determination.. Every mummy sure have milk.. We just need to work hard. Either latch or pump frequently to stimulate milk production.

From the day i discharge, I pump every 3hrs.

Initially only manage to pump 10ml and now I can pump around 160ml each time..

There must be alot of determination..

So dun give up..

Hi all

though hv maid, onli later will let her handle bb.

I had to activate cl last min coz my grandma passed so mom could not take care of me n bb.

Worry how to handle bb once cl leave. Cl makes everything look so easy lor.

Now constipated w all e confinement food but nothing special she will cook watever we hv. Just add more herbal stuff. Still prefer my mothers cooking! Mostly cl handle all feeds, diapers bath n cooking.

Maid wash n maintain house. My poor dog hv to send Groomer to bathe else drying her fur will be all over e house. One bath $25 omgosh!

V thankful for all forumn n mommies supporting one another n sharing advices! Makes me feel that I not alone. 

Jojo,

You mean you are only pumping all these while or do you latch on as well?

May I know which brand of breast pump do you use?

Jojo,

I only managed to pump 10ml now. I'm at my day 5 after delivery. How long did u take to reach 160ml. Really envy you. I hope I can provide for my baby total BF.

Hi mummies,

I am walking independently since this morning my last post. I was able to walk thru misery and take shower independently. This morning I also engage dpstudio to come in to take newborn photoshoot at the ward [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] quite excited to see the

Picture in a week time.

Unfortunately caught a flu in the hospital, so Now coughing is very pain !!!

Ivine, the gynae and the nurse in mt e also give me a binder to start binding after my c section suppose to reduce the pain. I got one from pharma but end up not suitable hence I end up get from hospital. The cost will be added to my hospital bill. I don't think is uncomfortable in fact t help to support my wound.

As for bf, still doing a mix of bf and fm as I want to sleep thru the nite to rest. Pd had also order a blood test for my son for jaundice today as he lookma bit yellow. Now he is under the single line, hopefully tomorrow pd will allow him to discharge with me.

creamdonut, danggui is 1 of the herbs used during confinement that will reduce bm supply. heard this from 1d1r.

MnM, congrats! re sore nipples squeeze your areola to express bm and rub the bm on your nipple. air dry it and nipples won't be as sore. tried and tested. i'd only 20ml at D7 and gave up tbf. now on pbf which worked cos #1 was on pbf for 2 years.

ivine, i wore a binder sold by hospital for 4mo due to c-section for #1. it helps alot in pain relief. i only took off the binder when lying down or showering. no problems bf but i've low milk supply. got a vbac for #2 and didn't wear the binder cos tummy is already super saggy from 2 pregnancies :p

Hi sweetsnow, is the induced very painful cause i might ve to induce also.. wed supposed to be the EDD bt baby shows no sign of coming to this world at all and my cervix is not opened...

i do no wish to induce n struggle then ve to go for C sec....

Hi Jojobar: hope you will feel better very soon.... take care.....

Hi Oct mummies,

I am a Nov mummy but delivered my ger on 13-10-11.

I need some advises, anyone knows if I ask my CL to leave b4 28 days, is it I need pay 2 weeks salary? Today is her 9th day with me. She is nt from agent but she toldme tat is confinement rule. Any mummies can enlighten me? TIA!

Hoppy (hoppy) : gd to hear that u r feeling better [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

jojo (newnewmum) : wow, 160ml is a lot. i delivered like a mth liao n still dun have 160ml each time loh. did u eat anything special?

gilera (gilera): sorry to hear abt ur loss. do take care of urself n rest more. leave it to CL to do most of the work, u can pick up fm her during the last wk when u have rested enough and body is stronger. as for constipation, can eat papaya, it works.

Jojobar (mummychanel): wow, so cute! do share some of the pics when u receive them? hehehe...

luv (luvagape): crap, i din noe abt the dang gui leh. i've been drinking chicken essence tt got it one during confinement. darn it.

Hi luv,

Thanks for the advice. I've tried and I think it feels slightly better though still a bit sore.

My left side has more milk than right side. My friend told me it's likely bcos I've been sleeping on my right that could have blocked the milk flow. Have to lie flat on back when sleeping and massage more, at least 30min, on the side that has less milk. Will be trying this out to see if it works. Sharing this in case anyone has the same problem as me.

Hi Mommies, finally I have time to log in.

It was stressful from the time i felt my contraction till the day my confinement lady came.

I cried on Sat when my hubby asked why I am looking moody. It was so stressful to be a first time mom.

First, the labor was terrible as it's so painful.

I had my contraction at 11+pm on 18/oct and I delivered on 19/10 morning 9+am.

The 3 days in the hospital was great as it's like a hotel with nurses assisting me.

On the daY I discharged, my CL is not here yet so I have to take care of bb myself. No sleep at all.

Everywhere hurts (back and below).

Next followed by engorgement. I was like breaking down.

My hubby was so stress too.

But I'm all fine now and getting used to having a bb at home.

Jia you winnie. i am taken care by mum n need to look after my no. 1 n baby. at nite also no sleep as mum need to take care my gal . so baby i take care.

Juz endure. they r great fun when grow up

Hi Mummy

I had discharge from hospital today. A long day as my gynae was held up with some emergency and delay my discharge procedure. In any case, complete the birth registration and the baby bonus application. One item off the tick.

Unfortunately, baby juandice level increase from yesterday hence the PD has not sign the discharge for him. Baby will be in hospital while I will be at home. I had ask the nurse to give him FM as currently he is already drinking 30ml FM on top of my BF. Gosh, I really need to come back home and pump like a moo moo to catch up with his apetite.

I am also down with with flu hence it might be good that i stay away from bb for a while. Meanwhile, the CL had arrived and start giving the red date tea which suppose to booast my milk supply. Miss baby...

Haiz last delivery, also i was not able to bring bb home when i discharge. This time, it happen again [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Not sure what is wrong with my diet that cause their juandice ...

Hi Winny,

Our babies have the same birthday! Glad that u r coping well now. It's really not easy for the 1st few days. My husband was also very stress. CL arrived on the day I discharge and whenever she thought of something she will ask him to go buy. So my husband kept running here and there to get things done...was very tiring for him.

Hi mummies,

I started of pumping when I discharge from hospital which is day 3 after given birth.

I pump every 3hrs - total 8 times per day.. ( must be very discipline, follow the schedule strictly)

At first only 10ml after total 30min of pumping from both breast. After 1-2days, it gradually increase to around 40ml-60ml. And now, which is day 10, I can achieve 160ml each time.. I didn't take any supplement.. I drink alot of red dates water and plain water to keep myself hydrated..

Btw, I'm using medela electric swing pump..

Honestly, it very tiring Initally.. But worthwhile...

I will try to adjust my frequency so that I can rest at night.

Hope this helps..

MnM

Same here my left side more milk but it's of no concern I jus leave it but it's jus tat when i feed on right side e left side keeps leaking n can get quite messy w/o breast pad..

Winny

I cried for a few times aft I discharged too. I felt v stressful coping wif bb. I would say it's really tiring caring for newborns esp I'm not tat into babies.. comments from others n confinement doesn't make things better.. I read from somewhere it says it's e norm as our hormones change n it's call baby blues.. let's Jia you tgt I'm trying hard to cope as well..

Wow Jojo, that's an amazing rate to achieve in 10 days. I don't pump every 3 hours. I wait for my baby to wake up for feeding so that I can latch on. But my baby only wakes up ard every 4-5 hours. Should I pump and bottle feed or is it better to let baby latch on?

Bf,

Agree, we need a lot of determination and discipline to Bf.

My left also produce more than right. It's like 70/30. Can express abt 180. Must drink more fluid.

I am using Philip avert electric single pump.

MnM,

It's good to latch on and express to store for the initial period. After milk well establish and BB suckle well, u may wan to intro bottle in one of the feed so that daddy or caregiver can bond w BB

If your CL need anything, tell her ur hubby only go out on like Wed and Sat to buy stuff so if she need anything ask her to

tell u advanced and come out w shopping list so ur hubby can spend more time w u then to run errand.

Bubblygeekypig,

Dun be stress over BB ok. Think positive. We will have hormones changes and tell urself u want stay happy for urself and BB. U can share what u going thru here and we can support one another.

Wow jojo. u really got lots of milk. i only got 30/40 per breast.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] after that he not enogh i will feed bottle.....

If supply still low will change to formula......

Wow...envy all of you. My baby is already 3 weeks old but I can only pump out total 30ml from both sides every 3 hours. Super sianz.

It has been 2 weeks and sometimes I can only pump out 20ml. But I realized that if I latch on one side and pump out the other at the same time, the milk increases exponentially! I figured it is just that I don't respond to a machine but when my baby drinks, I will still have enough. So if you are feeling insecure about your supply, can try latching and pumping and I think you might feel more reassured [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Candyfloss

Thanx. Probably my staying wif in laws n my hb sis so I'm afraid tat at nite BB's cries would wake them up esp his sis need to work e next day.. sometimes I dunno wat's BB crying for n he wakes up every hr n feed for 5min then dozed off.. tiring for me. I would say hb is better than I am taking care of him..

Breastfeeding

I dun pump every 3 hrs too.. I wait for BB to feed on even he sometimes can only feed for 5-10min n dozed off.. unless I feel engorged aft 6hrs or so then i pump or maybe at nite I'm too tired to wake up to bf him then i'll feed him wif formula n pump my BM usually each pump ard 100ml each side but i feel less engorged these days probably I'm 'training' my body to slow down as I do not wanna feel engorged in future if I'm out..

Hi,

I want to give away my tin of mamil gold stage 1 formula. Used only once a few days ago. Expiry date is Oct 2012. If you are interested, pls pm me to arrange for suitable time to collect at either Kovan or Serangoon MRT.

Hello, i am from Sept 2011 forum. As my baby has outgrown her diapers, I am selling off 35pcs of Huggies S size (just bought and just opened!) They are still in the orginal packaging with the stamps. Please PM me if you are keen, thanks [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

lingguan (lingguan) : u can try those online calculator where u can key in bb's weight and number of feeds per day then they will calculate how much bb needs to eat per feed. so if bm is less than that amt means have to top up loh.

Jojo that's alot of milk. I had been latching on since day 1. My nipples got sore too but recovered.

Just pump and both side add up to 40ml only. But I'll keep trying. Am having fever so cant feed my baby.

bubblygeekypig, yes Jia You!! Luckily I have a very encouraging and caring hubby. I think they play a very imp role.

I let my bb latch on for 2 hours but she's still hungry. Sometimes see le quite sad.

Mnm, where did you deliver? I delivered my bb @ Gleneagles.

Winny

At least ur hb is encouraging. My hb sometimes will tell me off cos he thinks I 'hiam' too much n dunno how to handle BB but sometimes when he noe I'm stressed too he'll console me but damage is done!

Bf

Dunno izzit my BM become lesser or BB has more shorts feeds n sometimes has 1-2 long feeds but these 2 days I dun feel engorged anymore n I dun feel I need to pump!

BTW e dark line formed during pregnancy from our belly button to our private area will it fade off?

Winny, I delivered in Thomson. I initially also only have 40 ml at day 6. I think the turning point was after the jamu massage. Now I have about 90ml. If you are taking jamu massage, ask for massage to stimulate BM.

But the strange think is I feel that I have more milk at night. Can feel the difference in engorgement and pump volume at pass midnight compared to day time. Anyone encounter the same thing?

Hi moms, 

I hv a few items for sale. Please sms me at 91558725 if you are interested. Collection at sengkang, buangkok, hougang, toa payoh and ang mo kio MRTstations only.

1) medela swing breast pump bought 14/8/2011 (warranty till aug 2012), Used barely a mth as i hv not enough milk supply.Will throw in 1/2 bottle of greenlife fenugreek capsules(increase milk supply) and 14 pieces of medela pump and save breastmilk bags. $180   

2) medela washable breast pads, very new and good condition $8

3) 4 pieces of nursing bras size roughly 36B (hv different hook sizes to adjust) selling at $15 for all.

4) 2 pieces of cotton nursing pajamas from Spring at NEX, worn less than 10 times, very good condition. Selling both at $15

5) medela breast shields with carrying case for occassional sore nipples from BF. $10

6) quinny zapp xtra baby stroller (blue), suitable from newborn to 4 yrs old. Used less only a month in excellent condition but decided to sell as hubby bought a jogging stroller from US while on business trip. $420.

Feeding:

My baby is crying hourly for milk. Anybody has any solution? He is drinking approx 80-100ml per feed. I am really exhausted and din even have time for toilet break

bubblygeekypig, what is "hiam" too much?

I dont think BM will be lesser bahz...i'm not sure too.

I heard that the dark line will fade off but take a long time leh.

Mnm, I am taking Jamu Massage and today is my 2nd time doing this massage. The thing is I feel there's more milk after the massage but after that the milk seems to be lesser.

You have 90ml now!! That's amazing. Do you latch and express every 2hrs?

CandyFloss, must go for toilet break leh. Yesterday i was so bz that i didnt have time for my toilet break and i had fever. Luckily i recovered after taking panadol and a rest

Back