(2009/10) October 2009 MTBs

xoxolight
thanks...realised there is one Q&M downstairs...when i called, the recep ask "1.5yrold, see wat?" gosh...she referred me to the dental centre at city mall or somerset where they have pediatrics...hmmm...now thinking if shld go...coz i know for sure,they will kick up a fuss

76: don't show fear when you are at the dentist. Anyway, there's nothing to be afraid of. Or you can just bring them along when you go for your next appointment just to let them see how a dental clinic looks like.

76 > definitely an inexperienced recept...sorry abt that but i guess different branches have uneven levels of service. yep, i know city square mall has a pediatric unit. anyway, AAP did recommend that we should bring our toddlers for a simple dental check when their teeth comes along. it's good practice. i didn't thinking that way until she had her accident. it's not for bi-annual cleaning but to check the eruption growth, any early cavities or signs of caries, whether the bite is good..things like that. the dentist i saw gave Dre a big mirror to see what he's doing. it was fun and they took off their surgical masks so it's less intimidating. she also got to play with the dental mirror..so i suppose all these helped.

funzee : have u heard of The Kids Dentist? it's at camden. heard is very expensive. i haven't been before but i called up to ask. it seems dr will examine baby but the actual cleaning is done by another person (i can't remmeber wat they call the person).

first visit they let bb sit on the chair n touch and press the buttons to let bb familiarize and not be frightened of seeing dentist. and this costs $100+.

funzee,
hehe... finally went out and bought mother & baby mag today. ok so they say if selected, they will contact us for photoshoot.
erm... i think that will be a lot of unnecessary stress on Min... and probably on us too! hehe... so there! i found the perfect excuse not to submit a pic of her.
think i'm happy to just exhibit her in my FB for now lah. thanks for the headsup though
happy.gif

saw your honeysoy chicken for amelie. WAH!!! i wanna be your daughter too man!!! hehehehehe...

xoxolight
went for my dental check yest...checked with dentist on the need to take 1.5yr toddler to see dentist adn wat they do on 1st visit....he gave the you-can-see-if-u-want-but-i-doubt-can-do-much look. He said usuallyits justvisual check and no using of machine..One thing he reminded me is thatthe dentistvisit is to get them usedto sitting on dentistchair..andmost impt, notto take them there only when gottoothache, if not, they will have neg ideas abtit..so routine checks are impt

Hi mummies
anyone pregnant already? I am contemplating of #3 but not sure how much it willreduce my quality of living..any tots? I also dun intend to have maid after this one leaves in oct..anyway to get aroudn it, so that my mum will not get too tired.My boys are going nursery nextJan half day..mum gets half daybreak at least,probbring in part timehelper 2-3x a week.But if got #3,then she willbe bz with baby in daytime when boys go sch.

hihihi!
Its been eons since i last posted. just dropped by for a quick read. Ok, not that quick coz there were so many posts! :p

Hi 76 and caesarsalad, glad to know we still have new faces on board.

xoxo: ooooh dear, i hope Dre is ok now. but i think she's rather resilient to these lil accidents, so I'm sure she's fine
happy.gif
so pain to read/imagine it though.
Glad Dre is enjoying school. We've yet to find anything decent around home for Sam... trust me... I doubt it can get any worse than those around our place. Sigh... maybe I'll just home school Sam! (Big HAHAHHAHA here. kidding.. i'm not that hardworking)

Hippo: enjoy yr trip with Min! I'm sure you can get a HK (Hello Kitty) overload at HK (Hong Kong!)

astro: woohoo... lucky you! enjoy the sakura! go to Ueno zoo yah... can see animals plus sakura at the same time!
happy.gif
Oh and have fun at Disneyland too!
happy.gif
*turning green*

Funzee: Sam has mixed feeling wrt the tooth brush. hahahah... some days he'll open his mouth for me to clean.. another day he'd be a clam. But I still try to brush somehow or other. (I hope its really cleaning those pearlies though!:p)

Re Dentist: aiyoh... I hate this topic coz personally, i hate/dread the dentist! hahahaha....

finally can sit down n ready thru posts peacefully
happy.gif

Sleep/all:
trying to bring forward m zz.haiz while im so happy that on fri nite i made M zz at 10pm skip nite feed(i just pat him back to zz) and he only cried hardly for milk at 530-6am[we r aldy jumping with joy] thinking tt it might work and guess what,on sat nite we home ard 10pm+ milk feed him n he zz, up at 1+am and cry so i inisit no milk n pat him back to zz[done in 2-3mins], up at 2+[same thing],follow by 3+am i pat him calm him for 10min he continue crying for abt 15-20mins refused to stop so we give in n gave milk n he immediately stopped n finished all in5mins!!!
sad.gif
n follow by hrly nitemare again till530-6am tt milk feed n zz till 9am.

caesarsalad:
i did it outside the toilet at the toilet door, partly coz m is very impatient to stand thru the process thus both of us sit on the floor n he will only move his brush unless i do it infornt of him if not he will just suck it.

76:
like ur music n movement session
happy.gif
whenever we in carpark,i request m to hold my hand if ever i let him down[starting to train him fr here instead of on the road:p] but haiz dun know hes stubborn or trying to show he knows,at our carpark he will walk ahead of us to the car n i follow him closely making sure no car,hold my hand the most for 5steps n let go_Outside carpark i tried once-twice letting him down, my god he refused to hold my hand and i got to carry u up.

dentist:
tts early im only thinking of bring him for 1 when all his teeth r out.errmm m only have 12 teeth now ,guessed another 4 molars gog to pop up,maybe tts y hes abit cranky nowsaday.
caesarsalad, wahhhhhh errmmm tt chair is ex:p but inclusive of the dentist examination of bb's teeth?

shugar : hi hi
happy.gif

nlimm :

ya. i think the 100+ includes the dentist's examination of bb's teeth but like someone mentioned, it's probably more of a visual examination. but u can call up to ask. 6235 7279

http://www.thekidsdentist.com.sg/

ur m can hold toothbrush by himself and follow u to brush teeth already? wa! how ah? u just give to him and he just do it ah? maybe i shld try also on my girl.

xoxo: somehow you always seem to get v good healthcare providers hor! Like LQPD. Hahahaha! Thanks for the contact on the dentist. I've not heard of this chain, honestly. I always go to my regular dentist in Hougang which I've been gg to for almost 20 yrs. I like her, so the next time I go I will ask if she sees babes too.

ceasarsalad: erm, Amelie will insist on holding the toothbrush by herself, not that she is really brushing. She just keeps asking for more toothpaste and then she will suck - not brush. It's like quarreling with her everytime we brush her teeth no matter how nicely we try to start out with her. I have kinda resigned myself to it - I guess her moving the brush anyhow is cleaning the teeth somewhat. BTW we use all 3 toothbrushes in one session.

Hippo: aiyah, v wasted leh! Never mind next time I see this kind of thing I tell you again. She takes well to the camera, so why not try? I can't even get Amelie to look at the camera (think she prefers to be behind the lens, cos she sometimes pretends she is taking a photo with the camera case, LOL). As for food, I tell you, I think that honey-soy ckn is easier to cook than porridge! I have not cooked porridge for Amelie before. Just mix a bit of honey with a splash of soya sauce and rub over the ckn. I also rub garlic in and just put in oven for 15 mins. Bingo! BTW I use ckn thigh cos juicier and smoother.

76: woah! 3 kids and no help. You are brave. I feel like I wanna peng san sometime even though I only have 1 and I have help! *embarassed* I love all your ideas and keep them coming!

Shugar: I am gg to embark on the preschool hunt soon! Me lazy bum, probably the last to start. I also hope to find something suitable near our place.

shugar > u were at AMK park? we were there earlier this week...happiest at MCD..howell. abt the teeth...at most she has funny two front teeth. it's knocked in and i think it ain't growing nice now but nothing's to be done. no such thing as bb braces...haha, but i don't really mind. she's got quirky front teeth! :p

nlimm > for the sleep bit, slowly but surely..just have patience and i am sure M would eventually fall into a good routine. hmm..we won't allow her to walk near roads or in the carpark. we would always be carrying her. at their age, it's hard for them to understand danger too well. lesson learnt when she made a quick dash to run after a pigeon one day...wah, M is toothsome indeed! Dre is still a far way off from the molar stage!

funzee > a familiar dentist might be yr best bet then! just ask her, nudge nudge, wink wink..do a favour just check lah. maybe FOC even! wah, u even rem LQPD!! that's my gynae's hao jie shao...wouldn't have to Q so much if not for her recommendation..wahahaha...

76 > yep, visual check only...there would be no treatment unless it's a case of emergency root canal (for that fall) or something along those lines. whoa, planning #3!!!! ok, wish bb dust on you! recently i've been hearing lotsa bb news...but my broody buttons are not activated yet. ha! if #3 comes along..from 1/2 day care for #1-2..u might wish to upg to full-day care? at least for the first three mths of #3's life...i can still rem the amazing torture of love during that period...hehe..all the best!

Thanks funzee and xoxolight for the encouragement.I hv already registered for childcare..have ever tot of uppingtofull day cc..but darn...the cost per child is 1.8kper mth...i need to sell backside at night if i were to opt for fullday care....Now our tots are oscillating between want #3 and dunwan #3...dilemma leh..komarimasu ne..

xoxo:
trying hard to make M zz thruout, guessedhes like his dad,always up,very light sleeper. oh for the carpark part, coz our car always at basement carpark, 1 way n only abt 2-3or3-4cars away so we trying to train him to recognise our car n at same time colour training,partly coz M seems to like car which he will always wan to go behind the wheel and pretend to be a driver[of coz when our car aldy parked n stationary]and amazingly he will hold the wheel with his right hand n use his left hand to shift the gear.But we dont allow him to go any further from here,then he will get to his carseat. Guessed have to rephrase my outside carpark to outdoor carpark,err..im referign to the open air carpark at level 1,this part very seldom once once-twice during offpeak but stop after we find tt basement carpark be a better choice of training.

Danger: totally agreed,i tested m several times, he will just walk off without us,expecting us to follow him.last sat at the airport, the same thing,he explored from row to row of the checkin counters without me,and i purposely hid myself but he continued till a mum saw tt im hiding,purposely asked him where is mummy,then he started looking for me
sad.gif
veryvery bad,i guessed kids nowsaday very smart, they know they r precious to us and we will followthem.

ToothSome:
gd not to have so many so fast.I think M's not the most.Elias(calling gal*) have more,if rem correctly:p
Dre has how many teeth ?According to the health bk,it be incisor[4 upper 4 lower] then 1st molar[2 upper 2 lower-14-18mths i think]then 2nd molar[2upper 2 lower-ard 12-14mths]] and lastly canine. But for M, his 2nd molr[all 4 comes before 1st molar] and now i think this 1st molar growing,ver very cranky plus diahorrea plus temp ard37-37.3 above his norm temp of 36.6

caesarsalad:
icc hehe thx but i hate dentist visit, always drag as long as possible haha
nopenope, m cant brush the same way as us.Just ttby doing it infront of him, he will at least open his mouth and imitate to brush his teeth ,at least not sucking anymore.

76:
u sahm or ftwm?Errmmm if u r sahm, shd be ok for both u n mum to handle 3.if u ftwm,if u planning#3,best to put ur twin at nearby cc then ur mum can take care of ur NB?
#3 errmmm im planning tt in 2013haha i dont wan dragon yr baby, be super stressed for the kid and myself.Partly coz minor op this wkend then need rest for mths to a yr b4 any try[gynae said] so well since missed my rabbit yr[which i wanted but too close to M and i just start at new wkplc so delayed],skip dragon and snake hehe,dont really like snake n want horse same as me but be too old then:p

All:
Books:
xoxo,how u make Dre likes books? others, any of ur kids like books?Shd i get a bookshelf for M?Currently books on his table,and within a min all down on the floor
sad.gif
im trying to create a nursery corners,1 for lesson and another for toys like those cc/kindy but haiz no rm[Supposingly M's rm become hb's studyrm
sad.gif
] so now im making use of the living rm hehe[hope hb dont roll his eyes when he comes back on sat:p]
Created bodyparts chart & A-Z choochoo train aldy,need get the book wrappers to wrap before up on the wall,any comments or any improvement i can add before i seal them? ask hb, he always said nicenice dun need change.ask my mum n sis,they said waste time.ask bil,soso the train wheels shd change to red then look like tomatoes haha.

Train:http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150103528377075&set=a.403269812074.181709.716207074&theater

Bodychart:http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150102772937075&set=a.403269812074.181709.716207074&theater
[Does the chinese word' ear' look like 1 word to u?Shd i re-write to make the 2 words further fr eachother?]

Anyone of u happen tp have watch the sch 'Ingenio' at the mazing asia on channel newsasia ?The way they teach do,re, mi seems interesting

nlimm
currently i am studying till May this yr, then back to fulltime work. For a start, mywish is not to have twins whole day at cc..but i gues i cant have my cake adn eat all.
Books:
I m not sure abt creating shelf..but when i took the boys to the library, they pull out the books there...i had to go after them and put bcak the books..maybe u can try experimenting with the library before letting him mess up ur ownhouse...wahahhaa..for us, every morning, my maid puts abt 10 books and spread them out on the sofa and tv console...when boys wake, they will help themselves to the books..and no, they dun throw on floor.the reason for us puttnig books there:
1) they like to climb onto sofa..so before they climb, they get 'enticed' bythe books and forget abtclimbing
2) they like to bang toys on mytv console, so mybooks act as buffer forthem...
3)book floods are always good coz make books accessible to them..i have 70 books for them in toyogo box..every day take out differnet books but keep some core ones that they like on sofa.If i put in toyogo box, only 1personn can access the bookks 1at a time. and they only see the spine of the books, coz of the way they are packed.

76:
oicc sama here, i dun like cc esp our kids so young.even though im on waiting list for cc,im letting my mum bring him down for the academic lesson only[even so, my mum area cc(S) super hot maybe alot of young parents, still on waiting list]next tue try to reg him for kindy,then 25th mar for 2nd choice,if din managed to get it then i really give up on kindy.

Books:
same here, initially stage when brought him to lib,he dont pull out books randomly usually im with him, and he will pull out the book n if interest him we will go over to table n 'read'=flip thru but since 1-2mths ago, he saw 2 siblings pulling out books n left it there[of coz mummy behind putting it back],m starts to do the same thing in lib
sad.gif

1)m keep climbing too, errmm i shall try the same way
2)tv console : aiyo hope no cracks so far.mine is haiz take toys n throw into the hole at the back of the console alamak.if not take my tissue or handkerchief and start wiping.
3)toyogo box: same here but haha m will ransack the box full of toys n left the box with books untouched.maybe i shd put the toy box behind the book box n c what he will do:p

Lessons:
errmmm will like to ask,what u mummies think if let m starts the below schedule.
Mon-Fri 115-315pm:
2 hrly playgp no parents accompany
Mon and Thur 9-1030am: 1.5hrs zoophonic
Sat 1130-1pm: JG Playclub.

Is it too packed?
Mum and hb said too packed, i find it ok

YO Mummies! Zombified TIEN is here! Mie is right. I am basically fighting battles after battles with the 7 week old Kaira. Almost went into depression because of her colic and reflux and constant crying. Manage to find some sanity when hb and I decided that I should come back to my mum's everyday so that it will not be just me vs kaira vs chores vs walls. At least, I get to spend some time talking to someone as well as playing with BB Kay!!!

So, thanks to the decision, I actually managed to find time to read 3 pages worth of archives here and saw my name! Feels good not to be forgotten...hiak hiak.

Promise that I will pop in more especially when nursing Meimei K.

BB Kay is getitng more and more playful. My mum, the anti-kids-going-to-school-early type, is the one who suggest that we shld start sending her to some playgroup of school hahahah...On the contrary, I am the reluctant one because of the bouts of flus, virus that she has gotten over the past few months. But on the days I have been here, I seriously think that she needs to be engaged soon. Of course I try to teach her while I am here but I can't give her anything structured. So, finally she is going GUG on Sundays and after GUG she will be with the bilingual JG class on Sundays too. Just called up Blossom Creative which is just 3 houses down my mum's, will enrol her there when she is 18 months for the hlaf day playgroup. Haven't visited but decided on the place because it is near and I do have friends enrolling their kids there and of course, my own teacher sends her kids there too.

Also, we face the problem of what language to expose her to. We want to expose her to mandarin only first but somehow, hb and I find it tough not to have spouts of English here and there. So, we face a situation where she calls cat and dog in English but duck in English. Definitely not ideal. Think it's occupation habit. Pretty particular about the language bit yet at the same time, am guilty of not practising what I preach.

Joyce: Let Dr Ho see Nathan and see what she says. Keep us updated. It may not be autism after all ya. Take care.

Xoxo: I am on for Disneyland playdate hahahha....You going in June too? Yep...my application to go Tokyo is approved! Hohoho...the fact that the finaily is talking abt it means that they are ok. Will be lugging both Ks along with the village of wai gong, wai po and ah yi. Planning a 5-6 days trip.

nlimm: wah! M's schedule packed! M is starting zoophonics at 18 mths right? Actually I am wondering if Mon and Thurs are too much for him. Just a thought.

Would very much love to talk even more. But Kaira is asking for attention again. Will pop in again to continue.

nlimm: always try to see it from the child's point of view. See whether M will be too tired, or he enjoys the session. Are you able to give it a try? Would all the travelling make you tired?

I beg to differ about putting the kids in childcare. Of cos initially I have my own worries and concern about putting my baby there, but afterall, I had no choice - no one to take Care and I will not leave the infant to the maid. I am very glad I found a very good infant care and kd was placed there since 6 months old. I always tot I did a very good job when I took Care of him all by myself for the 1st 6 months of his life la.

It's important to find a cc that u are really comfortable with. List down what are the things u can and cannot accept. Go visit many centers as well as go for trials.

Kd been there for 10 months. Other than the daily necessity caring such as bathing, feeding bf, lunch, milk, diaper checks. The play time, interaction with other kids, huge amount of toys, books, and the teachers taught him flashcards, greetings, names, animals, singing, dancing, fine motor skills like tearing paper, writing, imitating, sign language etc etc. I think there are alot of teachers (about 15) as well as group into English and Chinese teachers plus other kids (ang mo, jap, black or Malay etc) they kind of help me give to my
Child the kinda attention which I think I can't give to him myself if I am with him 24 hours. I don't have that kinda energy to do so much leh..

Review on Enrichment classes : shichida (now we attended 9 lessons already)
I dunno if it's my child sudden mental growth spurt or what. Just in Jan, when I go Hk for holiday with him, he can't walk (only take like 5 steps and fall, and mind that he could already stand on his own at 13 mths and walk at few
Steps for about close to 2 mth) or talk much (except for <20>50 phrases, point to his own body parts and call out the name, he could say no for things he don't want and yes for things he want. Can even be more detailed like water or mum mum etc. I only told him once when I bought him to temple that mommy is bai bai and demonstrated once only leh, now he everyday say bai bai and do the action of putting his hands together and bow. I am amazed cos all along is only input but no output de Ma.

But of course. I don't have time to practise with him everyday what we learnt in class. I just take the class as a chance to do meaningful bonding with him. But I think he enjoys and class and can really concentrate very well. It kind of makes him more Confident which I think is why he now dare to run and speak up Liao.

Sorry typing on iPhone. I think somewhere got cut off. I just repost this part.

Review on Enrichment classes : shichida (now we attended 9 lessons already)
I dunno if it's my child sudden mental growth spurt or what. Just in Jan, when I go Hk for holiday with him, he can't walk (only take like 5 steps and fall, and mind that he could already stand on his own at 13 mths and walk at few
Steps for about close to 2 mth) or talk much (except for <20>50 phrases, point to his own body parts and call out the name, he could say no for things he don't want and yes for things he want. Can even be more detailed like water or mum mum etc. I only told him once when I bought him to temple that mommy is bai bai and demonstrated once only leh, now he everyday say bai bai and do the action of putting his hands together and bow. I am amazed cos all along is only input but no output de Ma.

Tien: Gambateh! It ain't easy juggling 2 but I will think it will be all worth it! Just visualize 1 or 2 yrs time, both your gals will be playing together! Such a xing Fu image!!

Nlimm: wow! Salute you leh! I go for shichida class with my boy and already I feel like falling asleep myself. I am just not the kind that can go through a fixed schedule like what time must be there on wat days etc. Rushing around will be tough and tiring for M I feel. Btw, without adequate nap(s) our toddlers will not be able to go through the one to two hours class at all de wor. Thats from my experience. Running / rushing from Pl To Pl only gets them hyped up and top excited / tired to sleep too. I think will be waste of money. Maybe u can postpone zoophonic till M is 2.5? Btw, which zoo phonic u going to?

nlimm
personally i think its too packed..may i ask whattiime ur kid naps? Coz by the time he gets ready for school,and go....plus lesson finsh,come back and getready for makan/nap..there is little time left for play..
I dunno abt u..i think play is the most impt thing they need now..not lesson..ithink 1lesson at a time is fine..e.g JG now...then after finish JG then say music lesson..but whats the rationale of attending these lessons? My take is: If it is to learn ABC, then studies show that if kids are not at the right cognitive level andwe make them learn, theydun learn, they feel frustrated.Hv heard thatsome parents enrol kids in music at toddler age, compared to parents enrol kid when theyare say 5 for yamaha...in the end, the one who started music at5, achiveed the grade at the same time as the one who had started 'earlier' during toddler yrs.Meaning, if the child is nt ready in terms of maturation, then little use in putting him there...if it is for socialisation, anywhere will do...in fact, i get myboys to say hi to strangers in the lift and playground..
i feel at early age, we shld focus on parent-child bonding...meaninng even if need to go for enrichment, paretns shld accompany...the workshop is the tool to help in bonding..not to pay $to let otherpple bond with our children...
No offence, ok???...Just my2cents worth...

hello...someone paged? haha.

teeth :
hmm i'm not 100% sure..need to pry little jaws mouth open to see for sure. Based on this chart.. i think i can mark till number 4 for both top and bottom.
http://www.justmommies.com/articles/baby-tooth-chart.pdf

potty woes :
my teaching was misunderstood!
sad.gif

I tried telling my boy that poo poo should go into potty (i.e. toilet bowl) and showed him by pouring his poop from diaper to the toilet bowl then flush. Showed him maybe twice?
next thing i know, i passed him a new diaper...he brought the diaper to toilet and performed the action of throwing the poo from diaper to the bowl
sad.gif
. he just reconfirmed by repeating the action this morning. haii... totally refuses to sit on potty be it childseat or potty. ideas ideas??

@ting : what does shichida cover? do they have any trial class? er..is it sit down classroom base type? in your opinion, is the improvement due to what he learnt at infantcare or shicida?

fine motor skill:
anyone let their kids try beading? if yes, where do u get the beads?

@annette : books :
I place his books on the floor standing (like library). I'll put around 6 books. He likes reading those books with action (flip the flap, pull tabs, etc). i believe u mentioned M like touchy feel-y books correct?
I do feel an allocated storytime (e.g. before bed) does help, as it helps him to look forward to the activity.

however, he doesn't flip book on his own. he takes the book and pass to me, then sits down to read together.

mummies, any ideas how to encourage him to be more independent?

i tried letting him play on his own by leaving the room. in less than 5 seconds, he comes running to look for us
sad.gif
. not sure how is he going to handle non-parent accompanied activities in future. i read that by 9-12 mths they should be able to play on their own for 45 mins?

suggestions welcomed.

btw..zoophonics childcare openhouse this saturday ;) anyone going to look c?

Tien:
Welcome back
happy.gif
when can we go c little princess k?:p
I feel u shd either go over ur mum plc with both K there or ur mum to ur plc w both K. Alone at home jagaing a nb will go crazy,beside her is the wall n Noone to talk to.all4 together will kick the adults' boredom,&amp; all 4 can bond together hehe

M's schedule:

Tien: m starting zoophonic 17.5mth ( not much diff fr18 mth:p)
Mon n thur is what I worry though errmmm coz the playgp is actually for 24mths n above but i requested the Cher to assessed m n shes very pleased with m thus accepted him to start for their term2( 3rd wk of march as I requested). M be starting playclub this mar too

Glass: zoophonic no trial but have 3 frds w this branch n they all said gd so decides to give it a try. On waiting list for a few mths, finally got the mon n thur slot.

Ting: wahh ur boi can pt to bodyparts n say the name aldy?!!! Tts fast, m can only point. 2.5yr m be in N1( iff I can get a place for him on8 mar n this kindy start phonic in N1)

76: thxthx I appreciate ur comments n it's useful
happy.gif

M nap btw 11-2 flexible usually1.5-2hrs btw the range . So I'm thinking mon n thur the am lesson be9-1030am then I send them back Bp for m to zz at11 then up1130 for porridge then playgp at 115pm. Zoophonic n jg both parent accompany, playgp is non- parent accompany.
Jg consist of play, storytelling, art, outdoor play then music n movement.
Zoophonic consist of phonic,follow by story tt link to the sound they teaching for the day , follow by art( according to the animal u used for tt sound) then song tt consist of the sound &amp; animal of the day.I wanted this coz I take it as a transition from learn thru play(jg) thru zoophonic( incorporate phonic which is very dry to song n art before his n1 next yr which he will learn phonic in classroom style .
Playgp is actually just2 hrs, I'm taking it as a transition Fr parent accompany to non- parent accompany style of lesson for him. Playgp only play,abc ,123 &amp; music tts y i opt for very cheap playgp only$145/mth 5 lessons a wk din expect he learn much just wan him to able to have lesson without us n also mingle with older kids since beside him the youngest be24mths.
N what's the best age for piano,violin&amp; tennis?a Oct mom started her ger w violin at3.5 yrs n she progresses very well.

Hi Tien,
Thank you.
Re: Dentist
I have sent my girl when she was three. Is at QM Dental at
City Square. The total duration was abt 20mins for $130!!!!
Is very expensive.... So I dun think I will go to the kid dentist again. Hehe

Gal:
At least e still bring to u, m don't wo. He just sit there, flip thru n sweep all to the floor haha.
Zoophonic cc? U meant tt safari house at Dover? Actually I find tts quite worthwhile$650 after subsidy but however will let m try this 1-2 term then if ok n really gd then ifever I got my#2 in 2013 as planned I might put m there
happy.gif

ShiChida:
Ohya forgot to comment abt this.
Ting, I think u can't sit thru coz it's too dry right? I was told tt have to sit w tots( classroom tablechair style)&amp; there's hwk for the tot is tt so ? How to make our tot sit for 45mims? I be glad if m is still for 10 mins. N what's their structure like?what's the diff in right brain training compare to other prog? There's a kindy( one n only kindy beside pcf in Bp) doing right brain teaching for their curriculum but very very ex

Gal:
Err actually y u show him tt part of throwing poo Fr diaper into toilet bowl? What my mum did is whenever m wan to en en, he will give tt expression then my mum put him at potty then tell him what's potty for n when He wan en en, need to do it in potty wo. When I read tt part of E repeating what u did very funny leh but at least show his memory is gd:p

What sort of independence u looking at? Play on his own? Mine was he played n I started by doing my things within his sight then after mths till now m can play on his own n entertain himself with his toys n books for ard 30 mims then will look for me or Hb, not sure if will work for e

nlimm
i m no expert in wat lesson to take atwhat age re: violin, piano etc.. Impt thing is every child is different.Go with the child...research can say blah blah, but our kid go bleh bleh instead, then who are we to blame?
For me, what i want is a playbased curriculum for my kids..i truly believe in letting my kids leaarn thru play..tthats my personal belief..but not all SG parents can take to such a curriculum.they will ask the kindy "is mychild ready for P1? Do u have ting xie? Do u have spelling?"and when i see worksheets in bookshop for nursery, i really wana faint..blah...wch i frown upon...so, depends on wch angle we cmefrom...differnet pple, differneet tots, differnet expectation,ettc..but i am glad that MOE has changed the p1-2 curr in its latest PERI report.I believe its coming...

Gal
Agree with wat nlim said abt potty training. my mum n I did the same thing with my boys.nowthey are doing it in toilet bowl liao..

Gal
forgot to mention..we started pottytraining at8mths..when they are stable in sitting...when they were still blur...so now its become 2nd nature..as for toilet bowl, it was only recently...coz i told my mum we needto start preparing ourselves for the day we end maid contract...so, idun wan to be washing potty everyday...prefer to just flush toilet bowl..many things, we are preparing them in aanitpcation we are ending maid's contract in oct..i really dunwana maid...lack of privacy..started to bathe them standing instead of filling bath tub..coz maid wil be filling bathtub everyday.. when she leaves, we will nothandwash babies clothes (she now handwashes them)..when sheleaves, we will not steam our bottles sooften..(she now stereilises 2x a day).

76:
Haha i partial of ur thinking:p learn thru play is max till age4 for me then need start academic based type hehe so today we still samasama thinking n preference
happy.gif

What is PERI?

76/gal:
Hey haha my mum more ks , she started when m was 6-7 mth I think when he can sit up in a stable way. Then he will said en en now he damn lazy will only come to us or face us(most of the time) n give tt en en expression
sad.gif

When u dun continue w ur maid she will go back to her country or? Gal n my common Frd looking for maid, her 3rd coming this mth hope be gd if not can reserve urs hehe

totally agree with you about 1 class. at least for Min, that's all she's getting. she was on My Gym for like the last few months to start with. i just felt that at this age, grooming her motor skills comes before everything else. then the programme got a bit repetitive and since she already is walking relatively well, i dont see much need to further hone her motor skills there.

then we moved to kindermusik. to be honest i feel that the curriculum there is very average for the price we pay. but it's something to do with her and she does seem to enjoy the company during class so we figured we will continue sending her to a "class" environment till she starts her playgroup in May.

initially i had my sights set on Eton because of the playbased curriculum as well. but cost was a main consideration and i try not to go over the top where her education is concerned. we pay a premium for its branding in my opinion and i have frens who have progressed from eton to local primary schools and are kinda regretting choosing the play based curriculum.

the environment and level of stress in P1 is not to be under-estimated and much as we try to avoid over-exposing our kids to excess stress so early on, i do think that a suitable level of that in K1 &amp; K2 is necessary for the progression into P1 or what you will get is a very shell-shocked child in local P1 that is stressed out.

of course, if they were priced around the same as Learning Vision, i would prolly have chosen them anyhow. i just found it absurb to blow 5 digits a year on nursery/kindergarten, no matter how good it is, i think there is a monetary limit as to how much value these programs are to me anyway.

nlimm,
eh girl, no offense hor. i also think your programme very stressful. i read already i feel stressed! of course, you would know M best and if he's perfectly enjoying everything that you bring him to, then by all means go ahead. you have a very "absorbant learning sponge"!
happy.gif

i'm trying to be a laid back mother and constantly asking if I wanna send Min to all these classes that i hear you guys talk about. personally, i just find that bonding with her at this stage takes top priority still, and i prefer to nurture and impart some of our values to her rather than to get caught up with the GUGs, shichidas, zoophonics, etc.

she is naturally a happy cheerful baby and it gives us great joy to just be able to play with her. all the rest of the learning and cramming can come later lah. hehe... i relak one corner first.
happy.gif

Ting: i recently attended a montessori workshop.. and i thouoght i could just share this here..

from 0 to till 1.5.. kids are merely absorbing.. then after that.. they 'explode' and show what they have absorbed.. so KD could be at that stage.. Bally also.. recently been sprouting quite a fair bit.. i think he has learned Bao's ablity of translation.. we tell him 'it is raining'.. he repeats 'xia yu le!'.. i was like. since when we talked to him in chinese wrt to raining?! haha..

Nlimm: it is too packed.. but that again is my opinion.. particularly on mon and thursday.. initlaly might be okay. after that fatigue sets in.. and hmm the classes which u are sending him.. is quite similiar.. if wants a more active participation. maybe u cld pack the time with more varied classes.. ? GUG and JG are too similar.. i feel....plus zoophonics.. all stemming from the same philosophy of thought..

tien: not early.. and langs. teach young.. coz bbs/toddlers at this age can pick up ANY lang.. coz their synapses.. and ability to dechipher sounds in langs.. still there.. for example.. coz we seldom use the spanish 'r'.. we can't do that now. but a bb who is exposed to the spanish R.. maintain that part of aural development to be able to pronounce the 'r'.. same like in chinese.. they cannot pronounce the 'l' and the 'r' in english.. coz they never 'hear' it frequently.. in their environment.. in fact.. the research resonates with the anectodotal stories from my frens from the other thread.. some of them the kids prefer english over chinese or vice versa.. and usually it iis because one lang is mroe dominately used in that environment.. come to think of it.. it makes sense.. coz u see ah.. same bb.. put him in Japan. he learns japanese.. puts him in china, he speaks chinense.. puts him in SG.. he speaks singlish :p.. ha.. kidding. but i think u can get my drift
happy.gif

Bao is an classic excample. i speak to him in english.. my helper too.. miser and my mum speak to him in mandarin.. so as a result.. bao is conversant in two langs.. he turns to me.. --> english.. my mum --> mandarin. he can even translate!.. ike i tell him 'go and ask popo to open the door'.. he will turn to his grandma and said '婆婆, 妈妈叫你开门'.. sometimes the sentences he 'translates' impressed me a lot. coz they are very complex.. (As in my eng lang with him). but he can translate quite well in mandarin to his ah ma! so my pt.. no worries. no sequence.. just whallop everything. and create an environment for Kay.. no confusion for the kid.. sometimes they might seem slower to pick up and articulate. but when they start to.. they use the langs very effortlessly..

for mummies interested in monetessori method..
http://www.kidsdevelopment.co.uk/

haha. i sound like i am promoting that.. but i am not. but education mah.. cognitive processes.. my cup of tea.. my bread and butter.. haha..

hippo: ha.. hey. very long no talk to uliao! and u know me well. i just want to 'talk' nia.. interesting leh. coz hor. u said.. ' i do think that a suitable level of that in K1 &amp; K2 is necessary for the progression into P1 or what you will get is a very shell-shocked child in local P1 that is stressed out.'. then u said 'hehe... i relak one corner first. '.. :p
ha.. hey.. have i told u my blunder with bao?! i seriously cannot acept that AStro makes that kind of mistake!! :S
u know he is borned in 2007 1st jan right? then wah liew eh.. my long lost moe website. that day i buttock itchy go and read.. damm. bao goes one year ahead to P1 by deafult! i panicked big time!.. from N2.. all of sudden go K1!!1.. then i was like 'die!'.. and i become a shell shocked parent.. hahaha.. esp when i read quite a fair bit on cognitive development and i am in that line now!! then last time moe teacher.. lagi worse. i know the system inside out! i panick even big time.. thank goodness i send Bao to GUG ..his phonis and letter awareness v strong.. so now i sending him to I can Read.. else he wun be able to decipher english and read.. IF he goes with his cohort. i will chill. but not when he goes one year ahead.. and it is due to my 'carelessness' :p

so some sort of language phonics. play groups are gd.. bao went for the placement test in ICR.. his phonic awareness is above average.. i attribute it to myself first (heh.. yaya i know) coz i speak to him in englihs. and he has the whole series of leapfrog dvds.. hahaha.. and also the gug and montessori teaching.. i intend to put bally thru the same thing.. :p

Hi all, its been a long while since i rem to check this thread since most of u are on FB.

xoxolight
so mean of the mum to say that! And fancy u replying abt feeding long beans to dre everyday! hahahaha! did she catch the sarcasm?! LOL! Dre at 78cm is not short! 2 wks ago @ her MMR jab, RN also stood at 78cm (and the nurse said, "what do u wan her to be? Supermodel ah?" :p) and weighed 9.8kg... So Dre is not far off!
happy.gif

Lydia
U can get trg chopsticks from KP. Not cheap thou. I bot mine from BP. And no, its not for RN. Its for my son!

RE: Milk Feed
RN max-ed her milk feed at 180ml and thats it, I cldnt increase anymore. Yes, like what Astro says, we shldnt b increasing their milk feed anymore as it might interfere with their main meals. She is now rejecting her morning milk feed just before nap. So my mum is feeding her cereals for breakfast. She has 2-3 btls of EBM while i am away at work. But she latches withn vengence when i am back home. She finishes her dinner at 6.30pm usually and will need her milk fix ard 7-7.30pm. I doubt she drinks alot but more to satisfy her craving. ANd she latches to sleep which I hv no idea how much she drinks. And she still wakes up 2-3 times for night feeds. I know, just kill me! I shld drop the night feeds totally but i really dunno how to wean off nor do I wanna think abt it. Its so much easier to just offer my boobs to shut her up and we can go to zzz together. Sigh, its a v bad habit, i know!

RE: Brushing of teeth
I am another lazy mother! Haven really started RN on brushing teeth!!! I hv the 3 toothbrush starter set from pigeon and it is a white elephant! She has abt 8-10 teeth now, i think.

RE: Dentist
I only sent my son to the dentist when he was 3... at HPB.... total cost? $9 inclusive of consultation plus simple clean-up... Since then he has had a 2nd visit and his 3rd one is due in May. I did not wanna spend a bomb on his 1st dental check-up only to hv him running out from the room, frightened and scarred for the rest of his life! LOL! so i decided that a $9 visit will be good to check it out. It helped that we were prepping him weeks b4 his 1st visit and he breezed thru it. I was so proud! Haven thot when I am gonna start RN though...

nlim: hmmm.. when M is four.. u could consider sending him to some form of learn thru play.. AS IN.. not play all the time. but the curriculum is taught via exposure to environment, tactile kind of things.. kids that age. cannot figure abstract concepts yet.. so if sit them down and drill.. going to lose them.. exposure and tactile is the best to move them .. coz at that age.. they are concrete learners.. remember the clip i showed of bao learning language.. that is what i meant.. concerte.. assignment books. no use.. cards and manipulatives. he picked it up instantly.. and his interest was held.. so there u go.. accordingly to interst and cognitive development.. we win the 'battle'.. :p

shugar: ya! i looking forward. miser is a bit apprehensive about lugging the two boys. i told him' for that we need a strategy'.. i need abreak badly. ha..ueno zoo. i read about it.. good?

*calling xoxo* hey.. that animal safari u went to with dre.. which part of japan ah?

mie: bally has a throat infection :s.. haiz. i hope he recovers in time for lesson with elgin and belle on sat! haiz. sian.

Jrrt: ha. many mummies from my other thread also send their kids to the HPB.. but the queues.. woo-hoo. long! book WAY in advance man..
brush RN's teeth liao leh. else milk teeth decay.. else the crowning easily sets u back by 1000 plus :p

Jrrt: those are not milk feeds. but of dependency to latch to sleep.. can do without.. gradually cry it out.. or offered plain water first.. slowly..

Happyhippo
hi 5!me too intto giving my kids the childhood..cramming can comelater..but then selectively..i have been ateacher myselfformore than adecade..so have seen enuff'stress' and given to other chidlren stress (evil grin)....now i know whati want in mychild.. i am willing to let my kids take a step back academically...this ishw i feelnw..maybe years later, my opi will change

Hippo
can i hi-5 with u? I think i am the most relak mum in this thread! I stopped RN's KM class coz we were always rushing for time! And for the next 2 yrs, i dun think i wanna send her to any class. We hv registered her for Pre-N nxt year when she is 2 yrs 2.5 mths old... with gor-gor in the same school. and thats it! I am not gg to send her to any other classes simply becoz it is tooo tiring to catch up! As it is, RB has enrichment classes alrdy. I dun wan to sign RN for any yet... tt means our wkends are burnt just sending kids to classes.... I know this will inevitably happen in a few yrs time... but for now, let me relak one corner 1st lah. hehe
happy.gif

so late liao..so many mummies still onmline...a bit unprecendented..hahahha...when some time ago,the thread was deadquiet.

Astro
yeah the HPB's waiting time is long... and they only allow 3 mths in advance for booking. quite dumb... but i'll WAIT coz its dirt cheap!
happy.gif

I know... muz let her brush teeth liao... i tried stage 1... she loathes it! I let her use stage 2 last wk with the stopper to prevent her from pushing the entire toothbrush into her mouth and she thinks its fun!

Yeah, those middle of the night are not essential milk feeds. Sigh. Its the hardest to wean off this! She's smart! Do not even open her mouth knowing I am offering her the pacifier... she wants the real deal only. Sigh.

Gal: 
Wahaha I laugh at the part where e threw the diaper into the toilet bowl.. Amazing isn't it? Just some weeks back, when I was chatting with hb on way home after Wk in the car and I exclaimed wah Lao at something. Immediately, KD also said wah Lao w the exact same tone.... Pengz! It's amazing but also made me feel scare now. They are absorbing so fast now and is imitating everything we do. Need to be very good role model now. Haha. 

Nlimm:
That's the problem. I also dunno is the IC or shichida leh. I feel the IC is really very good so much until I abit reluctant for kd to move to PG when he 18 mths. Parents always feel child not ready ya? But 1 thing for sure, last time when I went for trial classes w mommies from
here to kindermusik and gug etc, I noticed kd is lil weird. He was attentive and can really focus on what the cher was saying or doing leh. And can really sit there kind (i tot abit like dai dai like that) Tats y in the end I went shichida instead of other classes. Cos i feel he is the can absorb but not confident to output kind. Last few to flip, sit, stand, walk which I can tell is not he can't, but he only wants To do it if he is very very stable. (machiam the kind can't accept failure one). He is not the super active kind lah. My friend said my son very studious and hardworking type when I went to her house. Twiangz! Lol

Shichida:
Yes classroom sit tables n chairs type. Parents must accompanied child. I went To shichida cos I do believe a lil In brain training. When I was young, only I had the luxury of my mom looking after me herself cos she not working then. My elder n younger sibling dont have that luxury. My mom played with me memory games using poka cards (open close to match la) and number games as well as playing some chess things. I had super amazing memory and I can rem things that happened as young as I am one yr old leh.. I can tell her what happened on my 1st bdae when I was abt 8 or night and she was stunned too (I was stunned after that as well cos I realize no one else can rem their childhood from that young). Anyway, I had a very easy time studying la. Cos I only need 1 to 3 hrs to study the day before exam and can rem everything I write. Thus of cos out of 3 children my mom has, i the only one that can study w distinctions etc lo. Not bcos i smart but i study smart only. There is a certain way my brain wks to rem things i wanna rem leh. So now when I heard abt these brain training thingy. I believe To some extent la. Not I want my son to perform extremely well but more of a learning through simple play as well as equipped him with some skills that can be useful to him for life. 

During Lessons : u do alot of activities within the 1 hr 15 mins lesson (long hor! But passed super fast). Ea activity last abt 3 min or so only. Got singing, flShcards, eyes training, finger activity like using chopsticks, puttig the shoe lace thru a plastic w many holes, instant memory, ESP etc etc etc. Some activities I find lame.. Cos hahahaha I thought my son too young to be able To do instant memory lo. Flash 1 sec and work w me to lay out the pictures. More like I do for him and give him the correct ans. Also got like showing a calendar and peeling off the months and tell him and stick back together.. I don't see the need to give him concept of time now.. Haha. Or shld I?  BUT!!! I enjoy the bonding alot. There is cuddling, and we do all the activities together. Can tell He enjoys and looks forward to the class. I think cos wkday he in IC, so when he gets to do all these w me, he enjoys and is happy. 

Hahahah. I am the super scare dirty kind. So during the gug trial when we did the finger printing totally scare me off. I am not prepared to dirty his clothes or my clothes and see him put the hand in his mouth. Lol. I still rem I had a hard time washing off the paint inside his nails. 

In the shichida guide, it says it's important not to expect our child to perform this or that. Love the child and w love the child have a very open heart and grow enormously. I believe that so I don't expect him to do this or that and when he can do something, I will feel so amazed and hAppy and naturally it rubs it off him too n he feels happy (unlike my inlaws la... Everyday ask him what other tricks he can do Liao... Everytime is not enough, must learn and show more... I hate that kinda of attitude! And hope my house ready soon so my child won't be influence by these upbringing) see it as a bonding session N a chance to NOT be at home during weekend can Siam my in laws. Lol. 

Oh! One more thing! actually the things we do in class quite innovative. All we can made or diy at home and do w our child (provided must have time lah!). Eh, I don't practise alot but will flash him flash cards from my iPad on the way to work in mornings. Then I teach him through everything we do together lo. Like morning when we go work I ask if he wants to press the lift and show him once how to, he will now press every morning and said "press". Same for brushing teeth etc

Toilet train:
I read toilet train. Can I ask now already start toilet train ah?! Then Wk end when u go out how? Will child demand to pee or poo not in their diaper?? Can they accept? Cos for example if no toilet or traveling how?  R we going to teach them to endure now? I dunno how to start doing toilet training at all leh especially my child in IC 

Infantcare: 
Can I check if my child is the only one in IC? Can I know you if you sent ur child to infantcare now too?? Wanna find out something from you.
happy.gif

Hippo:
Ya I agreed with ur comment on pri1 section. Got to prepare them, a few of my frds whose kids Fr learn thru play had a gd shock when they hit pri1, behind the syllabus is a part, besidewhich they r totally out of the structure &amp; takes mths to catch up n go for enrichment.
Ya our kids' gross motor development is there n u r right tt min shd be out of my gym but pretty surprised tt he proceed to kindermusik coz it's still on gross development incorporating musical instruments only( tts what I perceive) unless ur aim is for her to know more instruments n rhythm thought u will proceed to gug or jg though.

Astro:
I din put m in gug. He's with jg. Coz we decided not to let him start w phonic then n zoophonic is a transition phrase coz it include phonic thru storytelling, music movement n art( all3 follow the theme of the day) which is what interest me over gug. Though gug is like a combination of jg n zoophonic but its phonic part is too dry n too short for us, thus it's worse for m tts y we decided to do jg n zoophonic both learn thru play.

Learn thru play:
Yup I understand tt it's not just play toys type of play. After visiting ard 10 presch( sorry abit ks here) even the strong academic presch have manipulative play too just tt on top of it they have classroom style of learning( a small part which increases as they prog Fr n1 to k2) n of coz w homework etc so I find it's a balance n at the same time a transition to pri1 of totally no play.

Oh talk abt bao part, how he able to do tt? Currently my mum speak mandarin to m, Hb eng n I mixed( wkday mandarin wkend eng) would m got confused in future haha?
The credit for bao's progress definitely is to u since u speak so much time educating him. I'm trying to build up m's word recognition( though sound early) but since have abit of time now coz me n Hb word recognition is the weakness haha I always start Fr the part which we r weaker in :p

Jrrt:
Welcome back
happy.gif

Hippo:
Ya I agreed with ur comment on pri1 section. Got to prepare them, a few of my frds whose kids Fr learn thru play had a gd shock when they hit pri1, behind the syllabus is a part, besidewhich they r totally out of the structure &amp; takes mths to catch up n go for enrichment.
Ya our kids' gross motor development is there n u r right tt min shd be out of my gym but pretty surprised tt he proceed to kindermusik coz it's still on gross development incorporating musical instruments only( tts what I perceive) unless ur aim is for her to know more instruments n rhythm thought u will proceed to gug or jg though.

Astro:
I din put m in gug. He's with jg. Coz we decided not to let him start w phonic then n zoophonic is a transition phrase coz it include phonic thru storytelling, music movement n art( all3 follow the theme of the day) which is what interest me over gug. Though gug is like a combination of jg n zoophonic but its phonic part is too dry n too short for us, thus it's worse for m tts y we decided to do jg n zoophonic both learn thru play.

Learn thru play:
Yup I understand tt it's not just play toys type of play. After visiting ard 10 presch( sorry abit ks here) even the strong academic presch have manipulative play too just tt on top of it they have classroom style of learning( a small part which increases as they prog Fr n1 to k2) n of coz w homework etc so I find it's a balance n at the same time a transition to pri1 of totally no play.

Oh talk abt bao part, how he able to do tt? Currently my mum speak mandarin to m, Hb eng n I mixed( wkday mandarin wkend eng) would m got confused in future haha?
The credit for bao's progress definitely is to u since u spend so much time educating him. I'm trying to build up m's word recognition( though sound early) but since have abit of time now coz me n Hb word recognition is the weakness haha I always start Fr the part which we r weaker in :p

Jrrt:
Welcome back
happy.gif

Wow! I love the thread now!

I love reading all the informative things that you all are sayin now! Hahahaha

By the way, my plan is to bring kd to shichida for a yr only. When he is about 2.5 Liao I will mostly like stop and go for some phonics thingy. Then when he 4 or 5 learn swimming and probably a musical instrument if he wants to. I didn't go for KM cos he already so 斯文 Liao. If singing and dancing.... Scare become ah gua leh.... Hahahahah hmm I do want to send him for abacus when he is ready, and that's about it... Shld have enough skills like memory and maths for Pri 1 Liao hor?

Sigh... How not to be Ks? Not like I want to put my boy thru suffering or no childhood. But tell u, wking in corporate world and hearing advises from my managers and colleagues stressed me out big time! I didn't know some people already planned for how to get Into the Pri sch they want the moment they pregnant!!! scary right? Lucky for me, I will just send my boy to my hb's Pri and if have a girl send to my Pri... No volunteer Wk for me and no donations cos I very poor and no join what hui guan and again I m very poor so no moving house or buying condos etc. 怕怕leh... My manager, her boy is special from pple I know one. She send him for fencing class at 5..... Omg!

Shichida homework
Oh ya I forgot abt this. There is homework to bring back. Everyday only need to do one page. I am ok leh. Cos allows me to doing something simple every night w child again bond and learn. Simple things only like drawing lines, tracing a shape or drawing dots..

Back