(2005/12) Dec 05 mums-to-be

YL
Like Muj, I give Megan different "styles" of eggs..hard, half boiled, etc...

I give 1 or 2 eggs per week...it all depends on what is on the menu
happy.gif

Reply to Krissie's Poll:-
Does your baby sit through in the high chair during mealtimes?

Yes, most of the time. If she is good she get a sticker.

Do you need to use toys to distract them and try to persuade them to eat more?

No, I let her decide how much she wants to take.

Milk Powder---> Gain IQ

Eggs---> once or twice a week each time only give half a hard-boiled egg cos i mix it into her porridge which is quite a big bowl already. ive tried giving french toast once but she took only 1/3 slice of bread coated wiv egg.

breakfast---> hazel doesnt seem to like adult food like scrambled eggs, cornflakes, baked potato, steamed corn... in my attempt to help her eat more solids, i give her baby wafers and milk biscuits for breakfast and snack(afternoon). am running out of ideas. also quite scared biscuits can cause heatiness!

SC,
megan is very smart to understand the reward system at this age. hazel would have no clue. she gets sick of the same things v fast, attention span is v short.

krissie,
may i know whats the 10 for 1 gain iq promo abt?

my regine was having high fever yday...went to see a doc, omg, her temp was 39.3.....
she couldnt slp thru the nite, i was so tired now....haven get enuf slp...
*yawn*

Jeslyn,

Hope Regine recovers soon! Being an experienced Mummy of 2, I'm sure you could handle much better than 1st-timers like us.

Mummies who dun mind sharing recipe on eggs here, could you tell us how to prepare the eggs in detail? I need to know the method, ingredients, seasoning, volume/amt etc.

I tried to re-intro eggs to Declan on Sunday after his allergy 2 weeks ago as recommended by PD, he refused to open his mouth!!! He used to love egg yolk, but now he dun want already! Perhaps if I give it in another unfamiliar form, he may take it? scrambled? omelette? Someone pls give me the recipe! I'm a very hopeless cook!

Fairymoss..hope this helps...

Receipe for Eggs

Scrambled eggs.
1 egg
a pinch of salt/cheese
small amount of pepper (option)
you could put chopped spinach
few drops of water to make it slightly puffy

put all ingredient together and whisk the egg. a bit of oil, medium fire. just cook and scramble scramble until it is soft and fluffy.

Chawanmushi (steam egg)
this is favourite with my kids...

1 or 2 eggs.depending on your kids portion
finely chopped brocolli,carrot
salmon/cod fish flakes
dash of salt
dash of pepper
about 5-10ml of water (depending on your portion)

using a deep bowl, steam the veggies and fish first until they are tender.
whisk the eggs and pour it and steam again under small-medium fire for about 15 mins? (errr..timing is kind of tricky..depending whether u are using stove/steamer..)

omellete
almost the same ingredients as scrambled egg..but different method of frying. this one is you fry until firm like pancake. you could put anykind of ingredients for this....mushroom, chopped french beans, spring onion .anything u fancy.

enjoy trying out...

jenny...mee shua and pasta

if that day i'm going to give her that, i'll just make the soup/stock with pork/chicken bones...and then add chopped ingredients such as veggies & meat.
and then you cook everything until soft and add a bit of salt & pepper.
when u want to serve it, you cook the misoa in small pant until soft and drain and then just pour the stock soup with the veggies...

Muj
Just copied down the scramble eggs receipe onto my note book. This weekend I'll try to cook. Thx so much for sharing.

Today went NTUC and bought raisin bread, flour for pan cake and a baby wafer biscuit for Zach. I think I've been too lazy for the past one year liao now its time for me to get busy. From 2moro onwards I'll give bread to Zach for breakfast. Then tea time I'll make some pan cakes or give him the bb wafer biscuits. Dinner time will be porridge and soup of the day followed by fruits.

Questions:
-Btw, can I feed Zach with scramble eggs during tea time?
-Will our bb get easily bored with the same food every week. Eg. Should I give him same/different food for tea time everyday?
-How abt oil? Can I use the Knife brand oil instead of others? Coz I duno which to buy and it comes in so big bottles which I don't cook tat often.
-what others food to give for breakfast besides bread?

kuikwan,

1) As long as he likes it, should be ok. For tea-time, I'm not giving her any snacks yet. She already drinking so little milk for tea-time!

2) Probably they might get bored. So I try to give her pasta/mashed potato for lunch/dinner sometimes. But I'm also running out of ideas.

3) I do not use oil (or salt/sugar) and do not intend to. So no idea. But I know YL uses Extra Virgin Olive Oil, should be healthier for baby.

4) Cereals, oats, cornflakes, yoghurt, omelette, pancakes. I find that it's easier to come up with breakfast ideas than lunch/dinner.

Eggs: SHanice does not like steamed egg. She's ok with scrambled egg. Have not tried hard boiled or half-boiled. WIll try french toast with egg next (thanks 2005, for the idea!)

kukiwan,

1) shd be ok. its just a little something to fill him up before dinner i guess. i try not to avoid having to cook though. for tea time, i only recently started giving hazel some rice cakes, baby wafers and milk ball cookies..

2) ive been giving the same cereal/ porridge meals since weaning. i try to vary the veges thats all. will venture into steamed rice, noodles and pasta when she turns 18 mths.

3) like meixue, i dnt use oil nor any other seasoning for hazel only unsalted butter if nec. i read in books can use olive oil too.

4) hazel prefers rice cakes, cookies, wafers and biscuits.

mujmuj,
ur chawamushi sounds gd! will try this wkend!

3)

meixue/2005
Thx for ur reply.
Just fed Zach with the raisin bread...he did cough cough abit...so scared he'll choke on the bread but so far so gd...I think the bread is yummy coz I share a slice with him but I took out all the raisins. Same as Zach, this is also my 1st time eating raisin bread hahaha

meixue
so u didn't use any oil when cooking scrambled eggs? coz I also prefer not to use any oil. Did you make the pancakes urself?

where to buy the unsalted butter and wat brand? ur milk ball cookies sound yummy. where to buy huh? Same as u I also intend to intro meesua and pasta only when Zach turns 18mths.

kuikwan
u can get pancake premix flour from supermarket. I usually get Betty Crocker pancake mix. or Oregan pancake mix, it's organic buckwheat pancake mix. just need to add water or milk to the mix, n use pan to panfry the pancake. no oil is needed. u can also add fruits to the mixture before panfry

kukiwan,
u can get unsalted butter at ntuc and cold storage. cold storage even has organic butter. CS offers a bigger selection.

cookie balls i got fr taka cold storage under japanese foods section. they have a small variety of baby biscuits. some mums here mentioned can also try isetan supermarket @scotts.

mommies...one more ingredients that you might want to try..Tempeh..(soya bean cake) it is very nutritious and very high protein content. You could get it from the wet market/NTUC. I gave it to my ger yesterday and she lap it up. You could mix it to the porridge or if u are comfortable...cut it small & thin & fry it in olive oil and then crush/mashed it and mix it in the porridge.

enjoy

mommies..any of you could recommend a shin seh? or a good masseur? just sprain my hand yesterday and the pain is all the way to my back. appreciate your info!

Muj
Do u mean tie ta?
If yes then this is the doc tat my hubby always go to when he got sprain during his soccer. Pls call to make sure they are open before u go. Thx!

Tel:63447859
Add: 26 Dakota Crescent(on the grd floor)
Fee: S$25

Pls refer to map
658706.gif

Take care...

Hi dear mommies,

Any one of you had any experience that your little one starting to refuse milk and reducing the milk intake?

I read from the Gina Ford book of weaning that the min amount of milk for 1 year old is 12 oz per day. Aiyo, I've been fighting with my Luke these few days when it comes to milk time. Everyday counting the amount he drinks.

Pinny

My DD used to take 240ml for her last feed, now she takes between 180ml to 210ml, sometimes only 160ml and it can last her for 12hours. Even for AM feed, she can take between 260ml to 180ml these days..I let her decide
happy.gif

Don't worry so much..i believe the BB can decide how much they need lor, fighting or counting the amount they take per day can only lead to stress for yourself and your BB leh, just my 2 cents worth.

But if you think your BB is not consuming enough milk, than you can supplement him with more calcium rich food such as veg, cereals, cheese, yogurt etc.

Hi Straycats,

Thanks for your assurance. Guess I've just have to take it easy for a while.... me and my hubby were freaking out y'day when Luke stopped drinking after just 1 ounce! And he lasted for 12 hours till the next morning!

The thing we're slighty more relieved is that Luke's still feeding well for the rest of his solids, and he loves cheese. So probably let him take more of such calcium rich food.
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

These few days, Aidan has been refusing his solids, from breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm very stressed. He's drinking his milk though. His stool is also watery. I'm bringing him to the paed today to check, he has lost so much weight.
sad.gif

SC
Think it's true. Just yest, Ger was fussing so much during dinner time. He was much better when my mum fed him and i had to hide in the room. My dad said that when we were young, we also bully my mum. haha...

re stickers as rewards
I think I shall try it. Sounds like the Supernanny rewards system.
happy.gif

kuikwan
can i call you KK? always cant rem how to spell your name. haha.. I gv bread, biscuits, pasta. can try cheese, fruits, egg, etc, also.

mujmuj
where is tempeh in NTUC? As in which section? IT sounds like a good idea. I also gv Ger millet which some mummies here recommended.
happy.gif

Jenny
could aidan be teething?

Milk Powder---> Gain IQ

Pinny
Nowadays Zach also doesn't drink much. Last time he can easily finished 210ml without a drop left. But now there's always abt 60ml left. He used to cry when he's hungry but now even when it's over milk time he doesn't cry and will also refuse to drink so I have to keep on trying n trying until he drinks. But like wat straycats said, they'll know how much they need so dun feel stress.

My mom says sometimes bb teething they have no appetite.

Jenny
Dun worry at least Aidan still drinking his milk. Zach also lost weight during his fever.

krissie
can dun call me kk? makes me think of KK hosp...hahaha...u can call me Dawn or kwan short form. Paiseh hoh!

Just now during lunch my mom feed Zach some of our fish and he choke on it leh...he even vomitted abit of liquid (duno wats tat lah but looks yellowish) I think my son's pipe line still very narrow leh...easily choke on food.

krissie, straycats and kuikwan - maybe you are right. His paed can't find anything wrong, maybe it's just a phase. But it's still getting me worried. I guess this is normal.

jenny..don't worry our kids appetite changes all the time. sometime good sometime bad sometime fussy..as long as they are not sick, nothing to worry. They will eat when they are hungry. Yup teething is one of the biggest cause. my son had a teething period where 8 of his teeth were coming out at the same time...his appetite was so bad and had watery stool for almost 1 month.

Krissie...you could find tempeh at the chill section normally they put together with the cooked noodles, lontong (rice cakes), those buns... i fry the tempeh and give them as snacks...it's better than those sugar ladden cookies/chocolate.

Hi Jenny,

I read such case in the Gina Ford's book of weaning and she did suggest some ways to help toddler slowly eat more again. If you pass by any bookshops, can try and take a peep at the book and see whether her suggestions are useful and whether you're comfortable with her suggestions. It's called The Little Contented Baby Book of Weaning. It covers from 6 months - toddler stage feeding.
happy.gif

Mujmuj,

thanks for the tips on eggs! really appreciate that. the scrambled eggs look delicious already without trying.

Gave Declan bread with cheese spread, aiyo he can't chew the bread well despite tearing into small bits for him, in the end, he ate the cheese only.
sad.gif

Straycats, u haven't tell me what is perch leh. I know fish, but u got the pic? or the name in chinese or dialect? cuz I dun think the fish monger in wet market knows what issit if i were to ask. I already tried asking but got a blank look on fish monger's face.

Wah...our tods menu are getting more and more interesting. I'm waiting for the day when my little one can chew and eat table food well so that I dun have to bring porridge to outings! heehee, looking at ways to minimise the barangs when going out.

fairymoss
seems like I'm one step slower than you...kekeke I'm looking forward to bring porridge out for Zach now...still no chance leh but I prefer to let him eat before we go out, no need to bring so many things mah. I hope can skip this step and looking forward for him to eat our food.

Pinny
Thx for the book recommendation I'll look out for it. Yesterday just received a book from my neighbour its on bb food nutrition. Cant remember the title but really very kind of her.

Muj
How's ur sprain now?

kwan,

when you got to lug the barangs out and porridge is one of them, don't think u would look forward to it. :p

I think probably not cuz Zach's pipeline small, i think maybe he didn't chew. Declan also got this bad habit of not chewing, everything also want to swallow, and when the bits and pieces too big to swallow, he got choke and threw up. maybe u dun mix mashy food with chunky food, so that he won't be confused and dunno to swallow or chew. think it's a skill that every tod will master eventually, but takes time and gets better with more practices. I'm trying too, so u not alone!

Fairymoss

Here's a picture of perch and sea bream..hope it helps
happy.gif

660617.jpg

PERCH

660618.jpg

SEA BREAM

I don't bring porridge out anymore (my DD hates porridge
sad.gif
) I am giving her the commerical precooked food (over here we have quite a variety but I think SG also will have plenty), just have to go to any food counter / resturant and get them to help heat the food up. At times, I just feed my DD breadstick, mashed potato or some baked chicken from the resturants I eat in
happy.gif
For extras (if she behaves), I let her self feed the fruits from the resturants. I also hate bringing so many stuff when I am out with her..very troublesome
happy.gif

I do agree with fairymoss n SC, it's troublesome to bring so many things when we go out...my fren once took my haversack and asked me whether I filled gold bars in my bag...if without porridge it's easier and lighter...nowadays I dun bring hot water out...just walk into any restaurant and ask for hot water...phew...get rid of another thing liao...

Hi All Mummies,

I've been reading all your posts...and learning alot from you all...see the table of the baby name and weight and height it is so interesting...Wonder if i can join in?

I do agree with Megan cos my bag is also very heavy.

OUTSIDE FOOD
ive yet to give hazel anything outside home-cooked food, maybe just pinch a little of everything but not to replace a meal. when we go out we bring porridge along, dont find it too much of a hassle but im doing without hot water flask, extra set of clothes and diaper cream.

the biggest prob wiv hazel is not feeding but changing diaper, she absolutely hates to be changed outside, she'll scream her lil head off. so what we do is undo her diaper and just slip on a pull-up, no wipe no cream.

Pinny/ SC,
hazel has been surviving on 180ml for 12 hrs for a long time oredi, dont tink its a prob. toddlers at this stage do cut down on their milk intake. according to my PD, its ok as long as they take solids cos it helps them to grow better and faster. in fact he told me to cut down hazel's milk intake.

on rare occasions she can just get by on dinner and refuse her last milk feed totally!

Megan
There's period I try not to brg hot water out. But somehow I find it quite troublesome to get from the restaurant unless I'm dining in the restaurant lor. So now I still brg hot water out lor. I try to squeeze everything inside the small club bag. Items include: stomach distension medicine, bib, 2 extra pampers, wet tissue, nappy rash cream, a set of extra clothing, hot water, tu tu, milk powder dispenser, milk bottle, water bottle, biscuit put in small tupperware, hanky, my hp, my key pouch, my card holder...think shld be all lah. what u mommies bring when go out? coz my fren always carry the Allerhand haversack tat we bgt together but I seldom use so she always wonder how come I only brg the small club bag n she'll have to brg the haversack...keke!

Geryl
Welcome! you can PM joyful for updating the table.

Hee... i also find my bag heavy at times. It's usually the thermal flask and my own drinking water bottle that's heavy. The porridge is not that bad cos the container is light weight kind of material.

Hi Geryl, how old is your kid?
happy.gif

Now tt our bbs r older, i find most hv smaller diaper bags. For myself, i downgrade from Allerhand carryon to Allerhand combi cooler. find size is just nice for now. Usually bring
1) Justin's water bottle,
2) biscuits,
3)wet wipes n hand wipes,
4)1 or 2 pieces of diaper,
5)diaper area wash spray (in case he poo. uses this spray instead of water),
6)nursing bib
7)my hp n wallet

waiting for him to be able to walk on his own well , will give him a small bag for his water bottle biscuits. bought a M&M bag while still preg during a promo.
biggrin.gif

Back