(2004/09) Year End (Sep - Dec) 2004 Mothers-to-be

i juz had steamboat buffet last night leh ..
but tink too much MSG... hv been feeling thirsty since last night !!!
drinking lots of plain water dun seems to help
sighz.....

chihiro,
yea, should be lor, i guess..
haha...same here, i really like that feeling leh...

well, try to switch to low-heeled shoes if ur feet gets tired easily and prop up your feet while sitting or soak in warm water, should help a little...my legs oso get tired really easily and must always sit down after a while, cannot walk too much, like old woman aldy! hehe...

<font color="ff6000">peg peg</font>
am oredi wearing flatties now .... still feel tired
to reach my office, i need to climb 4 flights of stairs everyday .. when i finally reach the top, im oredi pant like nobody's biz

107818.gif

chihiro, peg peg

I also felt some movement on and off these few days where I get stretching pains so could be baby moving. I have blocked nose in the day and running nose when I woke up at night. I had chest pains twice last night (not heartburn) and had to take deep breathes to clear the chest area.

Berry,

funny thing is that the Scotts emulsion (orange flavor) has much less Vit A per serving than the Dumex Mama Plus that I am drinking twice a day so should be very safe. Think it is only the first trimester than have to avoid liver but will check with my gynae on next visit.

For fruits, I eat mainly papayas, carrots and watermelon, sometimes soursops, guava, oranges, durians, mangos. Think its okay becos I eat at most 2 slices/servings per day of fruits.

looking forward to Longan season. I love heaty food/fruits becos I feel much better after eating.

Chihiro,
That time i ate steamboat at Tampines mall, also lots of msg...i ban that place liao.

My legs also very tired.....i see varicose veins popping out also. Even my hubby said why so ugly
sad.gif

rochelle, if you take papayas/carrots in moderation (eg, few times a week), it wouldnt hurt. For scotts emulsion, better check with your gynea, cause its still considered a supplement. I also try to eat 2-3 servings of fruits a day, good for health and prevents constipation. I also love longans and lychees! But me v prone to heatines, so can take only very little each time...

chihiro, wow, steamboat buffet sounds good! Where? Nice or not?
Your leg tirednsss could be due to water retention and poor blood circulation. Drink more water and get your hubby to massage your calves daily.

Anyone measured your belly's growth? My belly is now 38 inches keke....

I've been craving for buffets these days, anyone has good money-for-value recommendations for buffets that serves salmon sashimi?

Steamboat,

Dont worry, my baby was 3mm at 5 weeks. Had bleeding so we were so scared went to see gynae and he confirmed that the pregnancy was viable so I had bed rest for a week.

The ultrasound scan at 5 wks was at higher frequency than my later ultrasound scans.

my gynae actually recommended me to visit him after 6 weeks as can do better assessment of baby when I called him to ask after a positive pregnancy test. he could see heartbeat at 5wks but he say that it is not common to be able to see heartbeat so early and thought that I got my LMP wrong.

not nice of your gynae to scare you like that. some dont have morning sickness while some have mild ones. you can check out pregnancy books at the national library.

eat well becos this is the time when baby's vital organs are forming.

chihiro,
aiyoh, you poor thing! 4 flights of stairs?! i pant like crazy after 1 flight! try to slow down and take rests in between...and be careful!

rochelle,
seems we are all in the same boat leh...poor us! sometimes i get chest pain too and starting to get heartburn every day...
sad.gif

can we eat watermelon? been craving for watermelon but everybody says cannot eat, almost forgot how it taste like now! and i've never fancied pineapple b4 i'm preg but now it smells so good but also cannot eat...sigh!

it's lychee season now so i think longan season coming soon, hang in there!
happy.gif

Berry,
you reminded me, will go measure my belly tonight and see how much inches i've gained...
happy.gif

Joyful,
which part of the leg does the varicose vein usually appear? quite scary leh...

Chihiro, Joyful

I have cramps on my inner thighs whenever I walk too much. I am wearing flats. when I reach home I just prop my feet up on a cushion or pillow. Try to sleep with your feet prop up by a spare pillow, helps alot. My veins also coming to the surface but hubby didnt complain, only more worried becos the veins make me look skinnier

Berry,

The Sakura buffet at Safra Tampines is quite value for money with sashimi. The mongolian buffet at Taka also have sashimi but more expensive.

<font color="ff6000">joyful,berry</font>
was out @ suntec celebrating my wedding anniversary last night..
and was discussing with HB wat to makan, then he brought up Seoul Garden, immediately set my mind on eating something piping hot .. hehhe..

almost went for Ma La steamboat .. but HB's stomach not v.gd lately so we went to the one near Marche instead..

they are hving a thai theme now, can hv either tom yum or chicken soup (with dang gui &amp; wolfberries) .. we order 1 each coz its suppose to be 1 small pot for each pax @ $23.80..HB paid with Maybank's CC got 15% disc off the total bill
soup is quite nice but i tink got lots of MSG..

<font color="ff6000">peg peg</font>
am climbing those stairs slower n slower everyday .. kekekeke ... will always hold the handrails juz in case .. :p

i still eat watermelon leh .. but not a lot lah ..
oso had red ruby for dessert last night.. full of coconut

longans !! ... yummy my fav. esp when its COLD !
i oso can't resist durains.. since its in the season now, my ILs usually will buy

ya, where will these veins appear huh? got a feeling tt they are popping out soon leh .. esp when i walked for too long ..

<font color="ff6000">rochelle</font>
thanks for the tip
will try popping my feet on a pillow 2nite :D

Peg peg,

can eat pineapple. KKH website says so. at first my hubby dare not buy pineapple rice for me becos MIL say cannot. but after read the KKH website article about pregnancy FAQs, he bought us pineapple rice to share.

I ate a slice of watermelon (from fruit stall) every day since morning sickness started at week 5 becos will throw up water and fruit juice, only fruits stay in. kept me from being dehydrated.

Chihiro,

my varicose veins are worse on the feet and hands, probably becos got less fat in those areas. support stockings help if you dont mind wearing them. good for the veins and the cramps.

peg peg, of course you can eat watermelons! I eat watermelon or dirnk the juice almost weekly, I have a large wedge in my fridge now. Good for hot weather days.

chihiro, did you drink the soup with dang gui? Dang gui is not recommended (can be very harmful if taken in large quantities and too regularly) for pregnancies. In some cases can cause premature bleeding of the uterus.

talk about food, I just love the waffles and icecream with fresh fruits at Marche, just had that 2 weekends ago, thinking of going down again. Also love marche's rosti(the shredded panfried potato) with mushroom ragout, yumyum. Anyone knows which credit card has current promotions for one-for-one? Which restaurant?

<font color="ff6000">berry</font>
ya..i did .. can't resist it after smelling the aroma coming out from the boiling pot !!! hv always love herbal soup

i did asked my mum regarding danggui before.. she say its ok to drink soup that was boiled with it .. anyway.. last night was the 1st time i drank soup boiled with dang gui.. i guess so long i dun take regularly it shd be ok .. :p

*drool after reading berry's post on waffles + ice cream*

Chihiro,
My veins become obvious once i reach 2nd tri...dun noe why also. It's usu on your feet, thighs. I got 2 obvious ones on back of my right thigh..those on feet not as obvious but I think they're so eye sore to me.

berry and rochelle,
i oso love the Marche waffles + fresh fruits and ice cream. i just had the one with mangoes last week and the mangoes are so sweet and juicy, really tasty! yea, like the rosti too!
happy.gif

oh really? i can eat pineapples and watermelons?! oh then i must go have one slice later, cannot tahan oredi! hehee...
happy.gif

chihiro,
i oso love red ruby and durians!!! oh dear, i've been craving for sweet stuff like cakes and desserts, hope i won't get diabetes! :p

deer,
the fee for wkday and wkend is the same.. however, if u not deliveringin Mt A, will b slightly more ex than this price.. sorry I dun noe the price though.. u can call Ms. Vasantha b4 4pm 63476333 to check the rates..

but if u intending to take the sat class have to book early, these classes r usually zapped up 2 mths b4 commencement liao

peg peg, I've also been having constant cravings for desserts and sweet stuff! I've been eating alot of warm brownie with ice cream lately, super guilty, sometime last week, I had this 3-4 nights in a row! Can't resist leh.... Got a feeling I'll be heading down to some dessert joint and pig out again this weekend. :p
Thanks for the UOB link, will probably check them out this weekend as well.

For antenatal classes, for those of you who can, I strongly encourgae you to attend. It teaches not only about D-day operations, but also about coping with pregnancy problems, how the hubby can support his pregnant wife, as well as babycare knowledge. Some people say that practising/seeing plastic baby is diff from real babies, but at least it equips you with necessary knowledge and some basic info, so first time mums wun be at complete loss of what to do. And do book early, you dun want to be going to classes when you're in your last 1-2 month.

berry &amp; peg peg
I heard fm my godmum, she oso say better dun watermelon becos too liang. Eat too much next time the bb will hv coughin trouble. So is up to u whether u believe a not ? I dun dare aft tat.

Hi oranges,

I also heard that abt watermelons. So I only eat once in a blue moon. Watermelons r considered 'liang'... Certain things can avoid so avoid lor. But if eat in moderation shd be okie, i guess.

Sometimes quite stressful if tis or that can't eat. Until now, still confused as to wat can/can't be eaten....
uhoh.gif

Hi everyone, I have not written for quite sometime, just return to US in May. I was in S'pore and had a great time. I am so blessed to enjoy the foods without MS. I'm now in my 19th week (angelia - my EDD is changed to 8 Nov).

Dang gui - I think that it is not advisable to take coz it's suppose to regulate menstration. But I may be wrong, check with the chinese doc and pls let me know. Found this on the web, pls read below.

Angelica (Dang Gui)
Functionality
This fragrant herb tones up the liver and regulates menstruation. As it contains volatile oils and folic acid, it is an excellent herb for women with menstrual irregularities and mothers after childbirth. Chinese mothers normally start with small doses of angelica 10 to 14 days after giving birth. However, it should be noted that expectant mothers should avoid taking this herb, as it is believed that consumption of angelica may increase the risk of a miscarriage. Angelica has also been proven to enhance immunity by stimulating the production and activity of white blood cells.

I remember seeing some postings on "ko-leh". Can anyone tell me if it's Gao Li Shen? I was told (MIL and mom) to take after birth or before 5th month, to stop in the 3rd trimester as the chinese doc says it will make to the bb grow to be very big.

Also, can anyone tell me if I can make bird's nest in the slow cooker and any good recipe to share? How much do u take (1 or 2 pcs)? Also what abt "pao-shen", I thinkit's American ginseng, can we take now?

Sorry for being so lor-soh... but I have no-one to turn to here who knows abt chinese (asian/s'pore) pregnancy style. One more qns, I as given lots of "tang-sum", But I would like to know if it's ok to take and how much, how often, how to take? If anyone know the english name, can u pls help me?

Thanks so much.

oranges, skyblue, I think all fruits can be taken in moderation esp since we're already way past 1st trimester. The things I'm more cautious about is herbs or anything with medicinal value. For fruits, most of the 'reasons' are more like myths that are not proven, so I just take as pinch of salt. Chinese tend to have lotsa sayings that makes it really hard for preggies to have a balanced and varied diet, don't you think? If I follow absolutely all the myths, then we can't take: beef, mutton, lettuce, oranges, watermelon, bananas, pineapples, octopus, sotong, prawns, crabs, starfruits, rambutans, and so on.

Cosmo, Dang Gui is a big no-no. Dang gui aka angelica in heavy doses is prescribed to terminate pregnancies and bring on menses in first trimester in the olden days during victorian times when abortions are done via oral medication. Taking this regularly causes uterus to bleed and contract prematurely. Can cause complications during delivery. Its excellent before and after pregnancy and every other time except for during pregnancy. Commonly used during confinement to restore mother's health.

Its best to double-boil birds nest instead of cooking in slow cooker directly. I normally take 1 piece a week. Just rock honey sugar and birds nest.

As for ginseng, its not advisable to take regularly, and if you have to take, wild ginseng is the best among the different breeds of ginseng. Its called "ye shan pao shen", not to be mistaken with "hua qi pao shen" aka american ginseng cause both looks similar and are often mixed up. Wild ginseng is very rare and the genuine ones are rather expensive, there're quite alot of fake ones around, so buy only from a reputable place like horsebrand or eu yang sang. And no, I don't think 'Ko-Leh' is gao li shen aka korean ginseng. And korean ginseng is best take after delivery, not during pregnancy, because genuine korean ginseng is very heaty and potent in nature, not a good idea for the baby in our womb.

And for Tang Sum, I have no idea what it is, best to find out exactly what it is and the properties before you take, its dangerous for us to take herbs w/o knowing exactly what they are, cause some potent ones can have adverse effects for our babies even though it might not affect us much.

Hi Berry, er.... i was told not to take Ginseng by one of the gynae from KK at all. Not too sure is it for 1st trimester only, byt she said it is not good for the baby. I cant remember exactly the reason but i just know that i am not supposed to take.

So now, i am confused. Can we take or not?

ocean, like what I say above, its best not to take, esp regularly. But, if have to take, take only wild ginseng, not other kinds. And herbs of any sorts (not just ginseng) should not be taken in the first tri if possible.
Anyway, there are many schools of thoughts on these, even diff gyneas will have different opinions. So the best is to stick to what you're comfortable with, and never overdose on anything however good it might be. Always play safe with herbs.

Hi,
I think Ko-leh is not to be mixed up wtih kao li ren seng..korean ginseng. If i'm not mistaken, Koh leh is not a form of ginseng and some preggies eat them to strengthen pregnancy esp in earlier stages. Please check with med halls for verification.

Ocean,
Berry is right.. take only wild ginseng ie ye san pao shen only..

Cosmo,
I've heard tt ko-leh is Gao li sheng but dun noe if it's actually korean ginseng.. and i noe for sure this ko-leh is very heaty one..

Birdnest.. I usually double-boiled only 1 pc for each person, together wif pao shen (Pls choose only wild ginseng for pregnancy), red dates and rock sugar

Tang sum.. is for building red blood cells to provide yr bb's oxygen, so call to bu qi, it's heaty too but very useful if u r very lethargic, fatigue and weak, esp in first tri.. I took it regularly in the 1st tri and feel very energetic thereafter.. It's actually a prescription for each trimester i gotten fm a pregnancy book.. when u buy the tang sum, u may ask the sales person to cut into small pieces for u..

Ingredients:-
12 pieces of tang sum
a handful of 'A' grade longan
a handful of seedless 'A' grade red dates

Instructions:-
1)Boil all the above ingredients in a pot of 3/4 full of water for abt 10-15mins till u can smell the fragrance;
2)lower down the fire and simmer for another 5-10mins;
3)off the fire and drink it as per plain water (this could probably give u abt 2-3cups a day only);
4)the remains can be boiled once more but the taste is more bland but I did it so as not to waste the 'precious ingredients' hee hee..

Pls note the timing for boiling as water evaporates very fast and u may end up wif little bit of water in the end..

This is how I pulled thru my terrible 1st Tri whh comes wif spotting, very bad backaches, ms and tiredness.. though it's heaty, drinking once a wk is sufficient to revitalise my energy..

Pls note not to take in the 3rd Tri too as it's nature is heaty, so only in 1st and sparingly in 2nd Tri.. Having said so much, I still dun noe wat's the english name for tang sum.. I just noe how to eat it only.. sorry
lame.gif

Anyway, recently the medical hall personnel told me for pregnancy, the most suitable tonics runs in priority in the following sequence:-

1)Cordyceps (Cordyceps king chinese name <chong2 chao3 wang2 fm Tibet, China);
2)Wild Ginseng (ye3 shan1 pao4 sheng1), it shld look slimmer and smaller;
3)Birdnest

&amp; best combinations is Cordyceps + Wild Ginseng double-boiled with red pork meat/ Chicken/ Black Chicken once a wk

cosmo,
sorry, the longan for boiling wif the tang sum shld b dried longan, u can easily get it fm any chinese medical hall..

Hi cubieBB,

Not exactly lah. Jus that some gynaes say avoid caffeine, some say if consumed moderately then it's ok. Then read from some postings in diff threads that say bird nest gd, but some say will cause phlegm. Huai San can't take but some medicinal hall I ask say it's okie for cooking with black chicken together with other herbs.

Even when my family use ginseng to cook black chicken (which I'm not sure which kind) but old pple shd know better whether preggies can take, I can't reject their kind intentions...

108129.jpg

<font face="courier new"> <font color="0000ff">as @ wk 14-Jun
.. .. .. .. .. . EDD .. . Week

aurora ......... 08/09/04 wk 27
cubbiebb ....... 12/09/04 wk 28 MAH / B
expecting_mum .. 12/09/04 wk 28 TMC / B
lilo ........... 20/09/04 wk 26 TMC / G
mom ............ 20/09/04 wk 26 MAH / B
berry .......... 21/09/04 wk 26 TMC / G
bebechic ....... 26/09/04 wk 25 MAH / G
ww ............. 29/09/04 wk 25 KKH / ??
pets ........... 03/10/04 wk 24 TMC / G
angelia ........ 04/10/04 wk 24 TMC / G
SLK ............ 08/10/04 wk 23 GEH / B
yingzi ......... 10/10/04 wk 23 MAH / G
heather ........ 10/10/04 wk 23 GEH / B
blisse ......... 11/10/04 wk 23 GEH / G
are ............ 12/10/04 wk 23 MEH / G
mtmtmt ......... 18/10/04 wk 22 ESH / ??
dee ............ 22/10/04 wk 21 GEH / ??
micky .......... 23/10/04 wk 21 GEH / B
yeeyee ......... 24/10/04 wk 21
AC ............. 06/11/04 wk 20 GEH / B
cosmo .......... 08/11/04 wk 20
cirtusfruits ... 16/11/04 wk 18
young jes ...... 18/11/04 wk 18 MAH / ??
joyful ......... 20/11/04 wk 18 MAH / B
peg peg ........ 22/11/04 wk 17 MAH / ??
melbb .......... 26/11/04 wk 17
sybil .......... 26/11/04 wk 17
deer ........... 29/11/04 wk 17
chihiro ........ 02/12/04 wk 16
TBL ............ 02/12/04 wk 16
rochelle ....... 02/12/04 wk 16 RH / B
plong .......... 08/12/04 wk 15 KKH / ??
woof ........... 08/12/04 wk 15
kypf ........... 08/12/04 wk 15 GEH / ??
emma ........... 09/12/04 wk 15
jen ............ 09/12/04 wk 15
melody ......... 20/12/04 wk 15
chantelle ...... 12/12/04 wk 15
guess .......... 12/12/04 wk 15 MEH / ??
wendypooh ...... 22/12/04 wk 13 GEH / ??
oranges ........ 22/12/04 wk 13 TMC / ??
jov ............ 05/01/05 wk 11

<font color="ff0000">GEH - GlenE, MAH - Mt A; MEH - Mt E; ESH - East Shore; RH - Raffles</font>
<font color="119911">remind me if I left u out or get ur date wrong</font>
wink.gif

</font></font>

<font color="0000ff">fruits/food</font>
i find it no harm to "restrain" ourselves from those "prohibited" fruits/food, but of cos muz use some "logical" thinking lah.

cos we never know how these cooling fruits will "affect" our baby, well, maybe it won't cause us to miscarry, but we nvr know if our bb will be born with too much phlegm, asthmatic, or any other problems.

i think, it's worth me to abstain for 9/10 mths than seeing the bb suffer for his/her whole life (&amp; we also need to suffer with them cos we need to look after them mah
happy.gif
)

<font color="aa00aa">cosmo,</font>
i asked the medical hall staff b4, he said double-boil will be better than cooking in slow cooker.

i started taking abt 2 wks ago, 2x a wk, each time 1 pc. i only added wolfberries (gou qi zi) &amp; rock sugar.

Instructions:
1. soak 1 pc of of bird nest in tap water till soft (prob abt 1 ~ 1.5 hr)
2. pour away water. put bird nest in porcelain (small) pot, add 1 cup of cool (boiled) water.
3. add pao sheng/wolfberries etc
4. leave rock sugar to the last few minutes

Note :
- make sure the water in the big pot reaches the water level of that in the porcelain pot
- do not put porcelain pot directly onto the big pot, put a "stand" so that it's not "directly" sitting on the big pot cos the porcelain pot not supposed to be "directly above fire"

hope u understand what i'm saying.

Berry
Is up to individual whether they believe tat some fruits is coolin. Well, my intention is juz to let u noe so tat all of us can give birth to a healthy bb.

are

that is something new....diff from wat i see previously. But if is costly..i will still get the traditional package...u noe wat...i need to buy 1 whole chicken and some meat to give away to my relative as well. so probably will save abit of $$ on the packaging.

guess... eh? got such customs? 1st time i heard of leh.
happy.gif

but i juz tot since its bb's 1st 'birthday', shd still hv cake &amp; definitley red eggs to celebrate lor. somemore still got colleagues to give leh. tis choc will kill!!!
happy.gif

btw ladies... i juz called rustic nirvana. they hv prenatal massages, 1st trial lesson @ $98 for an hr. might be going.
happy.gif

are..wat i did was for those ppl tat i didnt invite for my bb's full moon party will get a cake voucher ...then as for my relatives..tink is more like customs..we need to give away chicken n meat on top of cakes and red eggs. So actually theres quite alot of things to order near to that 1st month. Think for bb's 1st brithday, we plan to celb at hm..of cuz wif cake and red eggs lor.

Hi hi
good morning ladies.
I have some news to share... yesterday just heard tat my husband's cousin lost her bb @ 5mths! on that early morning she went for some hair wash and later abdomen pain at nite, and suspected the lost due to chemical effects. haiz... i feel so bad after I heard the news.
Actually it happened few mths back but my habby just kept it from me coz worry it will affect me as i very kan cheong type. then yesterday i insist to go salon for hair wash and kena scolded by him...
sad.gif

anyway just want to share this news to all of you so may be you all can think twice b4 making any decision.... coz we won't know how our actions will affect bb until it's too late. So i think for certain things if we can lun then just lun for a this few mths lor.

guess jan... cake vouchers r more convenient, but my office got more than 30ppl. if they share a present for me, i hv to giv everyone a voucher! tot it will be more 'economical' if i juz buy like 5 or 6 cakes for them to share. anyway, everytime someone gives a cake, sure cant finish one. cant be helped lor, gotta save milk powder $$.
happy.gif

TBL...Im quite surpised to hear abt this. Cuz most preggies do went to salon for hair treatment. Including my sister, she having 3 kids oredi. Anyway thanks for the news ..anyway i always go for haircut but not any other treatment.

are..oh yes...of cuz buying some cakes to share among them will be better lor...if you have more than 30 ppl in your office. Cuz i actually have less than 10 ppl in my off mah..so im giving cake vochers lor.

guess_jan,
ya, me too very surprise to hear tat. coz my sis oso went salon during preg. But heard this case is due to bb too sensitive and the chemical happened to be too strong too. May be she sat near to those ppl doing colouring or re-bond.
I dun think i can stop going for salon too, but may be limit to hair cut and like Berry's mentioned, request to sit far away from those doing special treatment lor..

tbl

u noe what i did to avoid those ppl doing chemical hair..heeheee..i will go to QB hse for my haircut till i give birth. :p

<font color="ff6000">tbl</font>
prob u may also wan to consider to go when its less crowded

<font color="ff6000">jen</font>
hv not seen u posting here for quite some time..
r u ok?

TBL
thks for sharing the sad new to us. Hw abt hair cut ? can a not ? treatment i tink i won't do nw lor.

Are
Wa... yr office got so many ppl. Btw, hw much is 1 box of traditional cake ?

Back