(2002) Any 2002 babies?

mommies

What enrichment classes will your child be attending next year?

mine English, swimming, Arts, gym

no enrichment for Chinese & Maths.
Will monitor her results, after SA1 then decide whether need to look for help

Hello Mummies,
My gal is attending P1 next yr as well and another boy is 4 next year. While i was reading thru this thread, i am getting more and more worried.
Sooo many things not done as well!!! uniforms not washed, shoes hvt buy, books hvt labelled and all the problems that were mentioned are the problems my gal is having as well.

OH NOOOOOOO......

Hope that we can share more things here,
happy.gif

Caroline, comprehension is not about memory but about understanding the passage and answering questions.

My gal has learning disability, she takes very long to read. But her tutor taught her how to answer the questions. so though she spends more time reading the passage, she can answer all the questions very well.

it's more of how you answer the question (rephrase information) rather than memory.

For basic grammar, my gal's tutor has gone through:
- nouns
- countable/uncountable nouns
- collective nouns
- adjectives
- possesive (mine, his, her, theirs, its, Sally's, etc)
- quite alot more which I can't rmb offhand

And i find that my gal is able to understand and form proper sentences (which really helps when answering comprehension).

and her tutor says that as parents we can reinforce their comprehension skills by asking them questions and expecting them to give proper answers in full sentences (guide them if they can't in the beginning).
After they watch their cartoon, ask them questions about their cartoon. After they watch any shows, ask them about it. After they read a book, ask them about it.

Chinese wise, my gal is exempted, so i'm not worried. but we are letting her go for enrichment lessons to learn to speak the language and for exposure.

Joy's mum
I know comprehension is not about memory, as "comprehend" = understand comes from comprehension. But I notice my son's understanding comes from his memory (either by me reading or his teacher reading the passage).

Answering tactics, using proper eng sentence need to be guided. Usually at lower primary level, the whole chunk from the passage is picked up for the answer. Only when go to higher primary, then have to use own words.

For grammar, I don't introduce words like "nouns", "verbs" to my son. He doesn't know the technical names. So I would just go straight to the eng proper. For eng, there is also similes, proverbs, occupation, places (ie eskimo lives in igloo, lions live in den)in addition to adverbs. But all these are not taught yet. Of course, simple occupation like doctor, dentist, teacher, I think every pre-schooler knows.

Hi Yawnyawn, dd will be continuing with her Art & Chinese class. In addition, she's got ballet as her main CCA in school. I am considering badminton as a 2nd CCA for her as I would love to have the whole family enjoying weekend racquet game sessions on a regular basis. We will also be commencing swimming for her next year as I view it as essential life-skill.

Carol, i have no enrichment for my son too. Only got swimming, but its consider survival skill bah.

Joy's mum, mind sharing the contact for the tutor?

Yippy, better to get shoe now, if not some sizes will be OOS very fast.

CL, agree so many of the mummies have the 2002/2006 combi, too bad i made the baby slightly too late, my son is yr end 2002 boy and dd is jan 07, count by years is 5 which is very big gap, but if really count, only 4 yr diff... hiaz, next time one P6 one P1... one stress with PSLE andother one stress with coping in primary edu....

yawnyawn,

my gal's enrichment - Art, Abacus, Ballet, Mandarin. tinkin of cancellin de Creative Writin she started durin de holidays cos too rush fm sch. also tinkin of re-startin her swimmin ...

do u tink it's too much for a 6-yr-old? my gal's born in nov so only turned 6 last mth ...

milo
mine also 5 yrs apart. My elder one next yr P6. She has many tuitions. So save up now (ie no need tuition for lower pri) for future higher pri. Coz tution is not cheap. Lower pri easier to teach, just need discipline. Higher pri maths we may not be able to solve (ie very different from our times).

jh, milo,
do you think year end kids are disadvantaged when they reach K2? my ds2 is year end kid...so i kindof worried. somemore is a boy...so not as matured as girls.

mummies,
if the kid attempt to answer the compre questions using his own words, but the answer can be found in the passage, will the teacher penalised? eg the passage specifically wrote 'kym is worried when she saw her boy's arm and legs in cast', and my boy's answer is 'kym is upset because her son's arms and legs are broken'.

yawn yawn,
popular have rubber stamp? can i just write in to order? i only saw those type of customised selfinking ones....not ideal for me.

Hi Mummies,

Ha Ha...please do not get so worried. We still have 2 more weeks. I have done most of the preparing just need to pack my son's bags and get his water bottle & pencil case ready.

As for school work, I think we should give our children a chance to learn at schools and avoid tuition at this pt. Learning should be made fun for them as it's going to be lifelong learning which they have many years ahead of them. For parents who can try to make their time available, I feel we can supplement by teaching our children some life skills like thinking skills, creativity and building up their confidence in presentation. Good to look at some of the Modeling and Heuristic books (for maths) which teach the child to understand and solve maths probs more effectively. I am using these books for my boys and I found them very useful.

My boys like drawing so I try to incorporate drawing as part of their learning in eng (composition, comprehension), get them to act the stories out. They love the sessions and find them fun. If your child is still not good at certain subjects or topics, you need not worry. They shd catch up when sch reopens. Gd to teach give them some exposure on what will be taught in sch but it is better to teach them skills to match what will be taught so that they can use difft skills and their creativity in solving probs and in their learning. I am quite sure they will fit into the schs well.

fz
I personally feel no difference. Like my son Jan 06, oso not ahead of others still like baby. My fren kid Dec 06 toilet trained and my son still cannot. He still speak like baby, not clear. So I do not think there would be disadvantage.

carol, yah, me too feel that lower pri i still can teach him, higher pri maths qns nowadays are tough to solve...sometimes reading the qns also don't know what is it talking about...

fz, i didn't really feel any disadvantage, but i do feel that girls at his age are more mature than he is or maybe i should say more mature than the boys in the class. my boy is slow in his understanding of things, got to keep repeating what i want then he can understand, but i think it has nothing to do with his age, he just too lazy to use his brain...

wanwan, any book in particular that u find is good for maths? I only bought one assessment bk for him written by fabian ng. not bad, but have yet to try others.

milo, chicken little,
thanks for the replies.
my nov06 also not toilet trained yet. i'm too lazy and he likes to waddle in his own urine! he is now 'speaking' a string of 2-4 words sentences....a combination of the same usual words.

fz
I'm referring to the self-inking type. Not suitable?
can stamp on stickers then paste stickers on pencil case, colour pencils, anything that can stick

jh
How's your girl's schedule? Can fit in all these enrichments?

My girl is in afternoon session so we have to reshuffle her existing weekdays enrichments to weekends but I didn't want her to spend the entire weekends going to classes. Managed to streamline to minimum classes.

My plan is to let her rest one full day over weekends. Then another day for non-academic enrichments as a form of relaxation.

Shawny17
I too agreed swimming is an essential life skill. Once she passes bronze test will let her stop swimming class to free up more time.
But still long way to go lah, now only at elementary, cannot float yet

Hi Milo,

I am currently using Maths Strategies by Yee Fook Shiong. It lists out the different strategies and approaches (diagram, model, no. bond, no. lime, patterning, restate prob & guess and check) in each of the topics and hence i find the book useful in allowing me to teach my son on how to approach some of the challenging maths qns. Other recommended assessment bks are The Essential Parents' Guide to Pri Maths by Dr Fong Ho Kheong & Fun-Math i-excel by Li FangLan which are passed down books for me. I also find them useful guides for parents who want to teach their children to solve math sums more effectively.

Another suggestion is to pick some related questions of the topic from past yr exams to test if your child understand the topic being taught. I use them to revise the specific topics with my boy to gauge his understanding & std too. The different exam qns from difft sch give my son a good variety of qns to practice & he enjoys them.

Hi milo, my hubby is the appointed maths coach at home and he's using the Fan Math. It's quite good. My K1 gal also wants to do becoz it's a novelty since I didn't give them any assessment bks before! hahaah.

Hi mummies, any of your kids joined the studentcare already? My son just started this week. He missed his childcare and was quite emotional last week. sob sob! Was quite worried but overall not too bad.

I've bought almost everything but haven't done the books wrapping nor labelling. All still in box. Next week...last call!
Enrichment for next year - swimming, piano and art. Should be stopping abacus in January after last lesson for the term. No tuition planned as that is covered in studentcare which should suffice?

Hi Jan!

So how is your bonding with your kids during the sch holidays? My boys are at home and I am real busy with them
happy.gif

Hi wanwan, no school holidays leh as school and work as usual. I just took leave for 1 and half days this week, for son's farewell and 1st day at studentcare. Oh, there's a gathering for the 2003 kids if you can join. pm you ok?

Tks Jan. Replied you.

For piano - Not yet. My gd friend and I went to test some new & used pianos some wks back. We found some good ones but thought of sourcing more to make comparison. My friend is going overseas so have to wait for her to come back and start our test run again...

Wan wan
I oso want to source for a piano. Hee hee I not so keen to buy new one because I scare my girl will give up half way. Share share your findings and contact with me leh

fz, i'm doing toilet train for my gal, sometimes she will take out her cloth diaper and tell me she pee sometimes pee then tell.... night one not yet started cos still got heavy diaper in the morning. speech wise she can talk abit but not very accurate, she knows spider, ants, stop it, go out, mama hse.

Wan wan & jan, thanks for sharing, i will keep a lookout for the books.

Hello everyone,

I was on leave yesterday and took the opportunity to get some stationery for my gal. Failed to find the plastic wrapper for flash cards at compass pt popular. Mummies who purchase the wrapper at popular bookstore, may I know which branch did you buy it from?

Also had difficulty finding a suitable purse/wallet. Either too big or doesn't come with a clip. The pocket of my gal's pinaform is very shallow, so if the purse is too big, it will drop out easily.

Hi all i am new & juz happened to drop by to c so many mummys who hv kids turning to be P1 next yr!!Guess i a bit late to be in this forum....

For my daughter , she will b P1 two weeks later.For her to get used to the sudent-care environment tis Dec i already put her there.So far already been two weeks there.First one week evry morning & evening sure will cry , according to her she claimed that morning other kids she know hvn't come yet , evening time all the friends went back already left her alone with some older boys & girls , she is afraid so she cry.Teacher there said that she is too timid , nt daring enough , tend to use "cry" to seek attention.So i hv a talk with her , explain to her nicely.This wk better , but depends , so far cried twice for these four days.Consider improve bah.....

I think mayb bcos i nvr send her to class like swimming , ballet or music etc.Tats y her confidence is not there.i m thinking of sending her to swimming class.Do u all think is that a gd idea? Those teach in swimming complex one is it ok?
Actually i read some of the mother's messages , realize u all actually sent yr kids for all kinds of enrichment , or preparatoty classes.Honestly speaking , is that really a must ? i would like to seek for all your comments, because i m nw struggling over sending kids for class bcos of financial issue.
Lastly , as two more weeks to school opening , i still hvn't get my daughter for school bag . i hv heard some of the mothers recommend " SPI" schl bags , so i aso like to hear some of the comments frm here.

Thk you so much for reading my message & giving my valueful comments!!

Ling

my girl didn't go preparatory class. I don't think it's necesary, anyway just few days prep programme can't do much

I think it's more useful to brief my girl how to buy food from canteen, where to top up water, where is general office, etc

Hi Cl,
Sure! I will pm you my findings. i'm quite busy lately taking care of my boys & bringing them out.

BTW, how old is your dd? How long has she learnt to play piano? At music sch?

Hi cookiepie, yah I want to buy the cards wrapper too so that can keep new for my younger gal year later. Hope still available at other outlets.

Hi chicken little, do u mind sharing what are the piano lesson charges? My kids just started trial of 4 lessons 1-to-1 so just want to know mkt rate for actual lessons.

Caroline, based on what my teacher friends told me, their 'standard' has increased over the years. Years back lower primary do not have 'inference' questions and can copy wholesale for answers. But now they are expected to be able to rephrase the question and infer (e.g. I think John was upset as he was crying). Very very tough. I saw these type of questions in past yr papers and assessment books for P1!!

My gal's tutor does teach her the 'technical terms'. And she learns by playing games. I listen to their lessons (oopps! i'm paying so much of cos have to listen in to see if i'm paying for quality)

My gal's tutor is ex-sch teacher, so I'm very sure she knows what to cover. I'm not educated in SG, not very sure with the syllabus so no choice pay for ex-sch teacher to teach my gal.

Milo, she's exempted from 2nd language as she has a learning disability. Learning english ALONE is very tough for her already.

Ling, enrichment is like passing the teaching to others. For mummies like me who are not well-educated, no choice. Financial wise, only my hb is working. We are not rich also. But we just prioritise and decided as a family to give up some things so my gal can have a good chance with her education.
There are enrichments which you can do at home with your kid. Phonics, reading, etc etc. It's just a matter of setting time and being disciplined to carry out the activity.

My gal only started tuition beginning of this year (due to her learning disability and my realisation that I cant teach her). For enrichment like guzheng, I personally find that kids must have opportunity and learning guzheng is cheaper than piano or violin
happy.gif

Hi ling, welcome! I was worried abt my boy starting studentcare as he sobbed at nite last week that he doesn't want to go, miss friends, teachers and even the aunty's food! Turned out ok and just tonite he wrote in his diary that he enjoyed bcos today got craft session and made newfriends. I didn't send him for any prep classes either. The studentcare has them mah.

For bag, a number of us bot this nivpak ergo bag. I got it during sch orientation.

Hi mummies

Recently, my son was diagnosed with ADHD.

He'll start P1 in two weeks time. Should I highlight his condition to his Form Teacher/Principal on the first day of school.

Would like to hear your views/comments.

Hi mummies,

the student care for the school was full and currently there are about 10 on the wait list. Never tot it will be full so fast
sad.gif

will yr kids be taking School bus transport?
was afraid that it will be too early.

mimosa, pardon me but what is ADHD?

Yippy, i'm currently sahm so he will be send to and fro by me, actually within walking distance so not worry about being early. If urs is taking school bus then might be consider early if yours is the first few to get on.

Hi Mimosa,
I think it is impt that you speak to your son's form teacher about his diagnosis on ADHD so that his teacher would pay more attention to his learning & not labelled him as 'naughty', 'unattentive' or 'uninterested' during lessons.

I had once attended a talk organised by parents of ADHD children & were moved by their passion & enthusiasm to share with parents on parenting tips to help their ADHD children. My gd fren did her master prog proj on ADHD children 2 yrs back & henceforth became a member of the self formed group. Their talk are v infomative. If you are keen to join them to know more, I can pm u the details but need to wait for my fren to return fr her overseas trip.

Pls feel free to pm me on any info u need to know which can benefit your son
happy.gif

Hi Joy's mum,

Thanks for sharing the info on inference qns. I will take note on this when I coach my sons on compre.

Looks like your effort, time & decision to spend time with your dd has paid off. Your dd seems to enjoy learning & that is really great. I am quite sure with your love & support, she is going to have great learning years ahead
happy.gif

juz went 2 kiddypalace to check on impact bag , it is aso ergo-bag , e price has ranged frm $50~$100+ , e bag is quite in bulky shape.I m wondering for a P1 child , is it necessary to carry so big bag? e books really tat much?

Hi WanWan

Thanks for your view.

I've gotten a written memo from the doc @ KK. It's just a simple memo stating that my son had the symtoms of ADHD and asking the teachers to assist in his learning..I find it too brief..so we will be writing another letter to the teacher.

The doc had recommended the usage of medication to control his symtoms but we are against the usage of medication beacuse of its side effects like loss of appetite, weight , sleep, explosive of behaviour if discontiuing of drug,etc...

I've surf the internet about this medication...and to my horror, there's this boy in US who died from the usage of that medication!!! He used the drug from the age of 7 when he was diagnosed with ADHD and he died at age 14. The cause of his death was determined to be from the long-term use of that medication.

Mimosa
That's scary. I heard active children has too much sugar in their bood. So have to control diet (ie no sweets, chocolates) or anything that has has sugar content.

caroline

After reading about the death from usage of that medication, I was determined not to let my son take that medication. We will try other alternatives like therapy. We'll be seeing one next month from the Child Guidance Clinic at Health Promotion Board (referred by KK).

Ya, you are right. Another way is to control their diet.

Mimosa,
KKH's doc's memo is for you to inform the school. Once he enters a MOE school, the school will refer him to MOE's educational psychologist for proper assessment.

Alternative is that you can ask KKH to do a proper assessment. It will be a series of tests and sessions. You will get a formal report at the end.

I brought my gal to private educational psychologist instead of KKH as we are PR (prices at KKH is same as private). plus private waiting time is lesser.

My gal's school has already gotten her report and they have already made arrangements for her to be assessed by MOE's EP. But waiting time is long but at least the teachers noe abt her disability already.

did you enrol your boy in a resource school? resource schools are schools well-equipped with teachers adequately trained in teaching children with special needs.
i did not enrol my gal in a resource school as her disability is very mild and she is coping well with private tuition by ex-sch teacher who is trained in special needs.

i also agst medication for ADHD. i got recommendations (natural therapy) but it is up to u if u wanna try it.
You can try flower essence or bach flower remedy. a few drops of flower essence helps to calm the person down. but doesn't make u 'sleepy' or drowsy. no long term side effects as it is all natural from plants.
i used this on my 2nd gal when she was a baby cos she was always so cranky!

Back