(2002) Any 2002 babies?

my kids do not take nap. They refused leh. The plus point is they sleep earlier, usually around 8:30pm or 9pm+

If they nap in the afternoon, will sleep around 11pm+ which I feel is way too late because they will still wake up at the same time early in the morning

Hi mummies

Please feel free to leave your comments
happy.gif

http://constancecheryl.blogspot.com/

explorer club,
why no entries and only pics? or do i need to click on some buttons to read?
your girl can draw and colour really well.
happy.gif

wow! after reading the entries here.. i feel intimidated by all the extras you ladies have been doing for your soon-to-be-primaryschoolers!!

The only thing that i did is to teach my gal spelling and daily reading b4 bedtime = that's it!
Nothing abt math, chinese, english etc.

<font color="ff0000">Sleepy resolutions</font>,

Saw your earlier thread that you are teaching your daughter Chinese. Can care to share how to you go about teaching her Chinese?

<font color="ff0000">Other Mummies</font>:
Can care to share too....
happy.gif

Thank you

juz me

I bought P1 assessment books for her to practice.
I will show her the strokes &amp; explain the meaning of those words she didn't recognised. Slowly building up her words recognition &amp; writing

hippo
So those going to Temasek primary more relevant, right?

For those with elder child, I think not necessary to go.

There is another seminar on choosing sec sch this Sat at Woodlands Civic Ctr. Actually I am more interested in this but tight down with boy's nap and standby to pick my girl from tuition.

At night we would go Taka to savour the different types of mooncake.

about preparing for P1, any of your kids goin to a sch offerin Higher Chinese? must we send them for Chinese classes now to prepare them? my gal's goin tao nan n EVERYONE tells me must attend these classes. but met a tao nan teacher who told me dun need to send at such young age.

how ah? also, how would i noe which class provides higher chinese classes or not?

jh
I can only share my knowledge on higher chinese at upper primary.

Vocab for normal &amp; higher chinese are the same. The difference is higher chinese exam has about 3 short compre in the form of announcement, advertisement, news, event, etc etc. Higher chinese compo, I think the expectation is higher, and perhaps topic more difficult.

So if you are looking at chinese classes, go for compo.

<font color="aa00aa">Hi mummies,
I'm a mother from March 2008. Not active here although I have a dd born in year 2002.

Anyone interested to get Ergonometric school bags for your P1-to-be? I'm planning to get one for my dd, trying to start a BP but gathering reponse first.

Brand: Deuter
Model: Genius

Check out the reviews by Simply Her

http://www.simplyher.com.sg/nav/shopper-200801-school.php

Interested parents may email me at [email protected]</font>

mommies

any idea what to expect during orientation? besides touring the school compound, do we collect booklist &amp; buy uniforms too?

hippo2002,
i read that different schools have different practices.
i called up my boy's school and they said that can buy the books and uniform that day or another day as stated in the list (which i assume will be given out on that day).
i guess the orientation, they will issue timetable and maybe group the kids according to their abilities and then bring them to tour their class rooms. my guess only. think it'll be more fruitful to post this question in the 2001 mummies thread. ;)

Hi,
yeah, it depends on the school. I registered my son in Ai Tong and we have been informed to attend an orientation in Nov 08. The purchase of uniforms &amp; books is on another day.

Hi there mommies,

I'm a woodlander myself and my dauhgter will start P1 at Inova Priamry School. Anybody going to Inova?

Wow you all seems to be praparing really well for P1 ... I just worried that my girl will get a culture shock. You know, how in preschool their teachers are so warm, and huggy type but in primary sch, teachers are ... ??? Not sure what to expect.

luanee,
i heard that some schools conduct simple test...but not sure if it is conducted during orientation or when the term starts.

hi, lunaee.

some schools will do some diagnostic tests during the orientation.

though the results of these tests may not reflect 100% of the children's abilities, they can give the school a better gauge of the children's entry level, so that the teachers can peg their teaching at their levels.

there are also schools which conduct these tests when school starts or termly.

Once school term started, kids would have been allocated to a class. Don't think the school reshuffles them then.

make more sense to conduct diagnostic test before the kids are assigned a class, then teacher can peg their teaching to appropriate level

for the chinese language curriculum, due to the modular approach, some schools do change the kids' class after the termly diagnostic tests.

Hi hippo / fz, my ds went for the test 2 weeks ago. So for the orientation in Nov, the class allocation is done and we will get to meet the class form teacher, buy books and uniforms.

Hi precious gem, same here! Quite concerned about the culture shock. It's a big change..

Wooh, diagnostic tests before even starting P1? OMG... if the school hasn't notify us about such test by now, does it mean the school my girl is going to has no such test? Coz orientation is in Nov..

my girl's orientation is in Nov and I don't think they have any test.

I'm looking foward to her going there though abit anxious and I might join the parents support group.

Hi mummies,
Yeah right! The admin staff seems reluctant to reveal me that they will be conducting a test on Orientation day in Nov.
sad.gif
( Stressful!!!

my friend's P1 son had test on orientation day last year. she only found out when her son told her subsequently.

While all the parents were attending talk in the hall, the teachers led the kids to their classroom to carry out the assessment

Hi natellehcim, it's a neighbourhood school. called it the P1 readiness test - write word for picture, colouring, match pictures to words and fill in blanks in sentences with words provided.

Hi kssg, why reluctant to reveal? Was told about the test when I went for the registration.

Hi jan, thanks. I've called up the sch my ds is going and asked if they are holding any diagnotic test during orientation and the person who answered the phone said yes, for english and maths. But she said that the questions will be quite simple. So no harm calling up the school to check on it.

jan,
my boy's neighbourhood school did state specifically in their website that they will conduct a numeracy test..ie see if the kids can do very simple math. this is so that they can give those that need extra help extra classes in the afternoon when the term starts.
but for those very popular school, i'm not sure if the standard is higher...i guess should be. ;)
i have already told my boy to do whatever test seriously and double check his work....he can be very careless.

maybe 2 schools of thought 'literally'

some schools openly announced the diagnostic test
some preferred to do the test subtlely, without informing parents - like my friend's son school

halo all,
i m a 2002 mummy and just found this thread abt the test that the kids have to go thru.
so can anyone clarify if the orientation holding in nov is to see whether the kid can go which class? that is to say, the same level will go to 1 class or wat? then what is the purpose of this test?

Yoyo,
Different schools have different practices. For schools conducting diagnostic test, some may be carried out during orientation, while some schools do them when the term starts.
For the numeracy test in my boy's school, it is for the purpose of their Learning Support for Mathematics (LSM) programme, which is to provide early intervention for pupils weak in Mathematics.
For some other schools, perhaps it is to group the kids according to similar abilities so that the teachers can plan their curriculum better.

Hi Mummies,

Looking for one or 2 kids to join us in a Primary one math preportory class taught by an ex-primary school teacher.Classes commencing in October. Location is at the old airport road. Pls email me at [email protected] if interested.

Thanks.

Hi mummies,
Do you intend to lighten your kid's enrichment load when they start P1 next year, or beef it up even more?
We are keeping the Berries and swimming and I was thinking whether to sign up for creative writing or what not.

hippo2002,
we are having problem scheduling extra enrichment. am hesitant to schedule any classes on weekday afternoons cos worried that the boy may be tired from his morning school.
saturday mornings need to be free cos a peek at the school's website, they have meet-parents session held on saturday mornings. not sure if they'll have any saturday programmes too. saturday afternoon is burnt from existing programmes.
sunday is still a no-no as instructed by my boy. he is guarding his 'free-day' pretty fiercely. ;P

fz

my challenge is how to juggle enrichments for 2 kids because they have classes with different timing. Hubby doesn't want to spend his weekends sending fetching both kids &amp; waiting in between

I tried to re-schedule most enrichments on weekdays if possible. But P1 finishes around 6:30pm so quite challenging to rush to classes in evenings. dd2 is easier, can go during dd1's school hours

Hi mummies,

Is ur kids hving tuition @ hm?? I'm looking for a gd tutor..as my son gg to P1 next yr...

Do u gals hve any 1 to recommend to me???

Tks

Back