(2002) Any 2002 babies?

MPM
I started my gal on MPM since Jan. She was ok first 2 lesson then later on teachers all commented they do not know how to motivate her.

If she does not get someone sitting beside her or she felt it is too difficult, she just switch off.

Suppose to be 2 hours class per week but because her attention span is not there, the teacher request to break up 1 hour each lesson. 1 hourly is better. After I start a reward system, she is more motviated to work hard and I hope it continues

Chinese class I have 1 with a native chinese teacher coming to my house. Her word recognition is quite strong but when it comes to writing ha ha she is drawing them not write. All the bi wa all wrong.

As she is now in childcare, I cannot put her in many classes since she will be too tired by end of the day. Then din want to let her weekend all burnt.

chicken little

my younger girl is attending Chinese enrichment in word recognition too. Just purely word recognition & recite some poems, no sentence construction, tingxie, compo, comphrension which are all very relevant to prepare for P1.

I feel that is insufficient to prepare for P1 so I didn't send dd1. Now I must sit next to dd1 to correct her writing. A lot of hardwork lor

jh
I have PM you

jasmine

Kumon English doesn't have creative writing leh. At least up to level B she completed I didn't see anything on creaitve writing. Mostly comprehension & reading. My girl can't quite write a full sentence without grammatical error

fz

I got a driving licence but cannot recognise the way. Can only travel short distance & point to point only. Still must rely on hubby heavily
biggrin.gif

hippo2002,
ya..practising chinese character writing is very taxing on us parents. once we are out of sight, they just any how write the strokes.

i can't recognise the way too. but if every week need to go same place for enrichment, shouldn't be a problem. :p

abt chinese character strokes, dd1's cc teacher said not particular at dis stage abt correct strokes. juz let them learn 2 recognise, read, write n contruct sentences. is dis true?

any one of yr kids' cc has readers? mine usin oxford 4 chinese; tink not easy ... english ones r easy - rigby

jh

I feel that strokes are important because at P1, they need to count the number of strokes. If bi hua not correct, cannot count properly & it's more difficult to correct them after they got used to writing in a certain (wrong) way

kindergarten using Ginn reader

hippo,

my friend said kumon english not bad. i have asked her and she said kumon english dun have compo. some pp gave thumbs up to learning lab but it is far and ex.

Mummies,
My friend was just sharing with me abt P1 maths sums, it is no longer straight forward kind of questions. Here are 2 examples:

Q1
# + # = @
@ + @ = &
& + & = 16
Find #

Q2
? => Double => Add 32 => 50
What is the missing number.

Any idea if there's any good maths guidebook to recommend?

Chinese Enrichment
Which centre is she attending for Chinese? I started my kids at Tien Hsia this year and I find that they have improved tremendously, esp for my son who hates Chinese. For K2, they will be given tingxie twice a term. Their lesson includes learning the correct strokes, no. of strokes, recite poem, flashcards and recently construct sentences. Becos I sent my son to Berries when he was in K1, I personally prefers Tien Hsia's curriculum.

Driving Licence
I've got a driving licence too but hardly drive. Why? Becos i have no sense of direction and can only drive point to point. Parking is also a problem to me. So i rather take public transport sometimes.

Hey
I thot right now they syllabus has changed as in word recognition is more important then just the bi hua. That is why now many pre school has do away with the bi hua at this point in term. Hmm better check with my teacher fren otherwise very xiong for my gal next year

chicken little

please keep us posted. When was the syllabus changed?

I saw those P1 Chinese assessment books currently selling at popular still having bi hua leh

chickenlittle,

I think focus is on word recognition but bi hua is also important. Eventually, will have to write to take exam mah.

Chinese - P1 first 6 months is mainly HanyuPinyin. My dd teacher say that MOE doesn't encourage the kindergarten to teach Hanyu Pinyin so usually the kindergarten won't teach. So gotta rely on Chinese enrichment or parents to introduce.

Mummies,
Just to check, did your kindergarten start teaching Hanyu pinyin? Berries which my dd attend, just started teaching Hanyupinyin. But her kindy will not be teaching due to MOE's recommendation.

The cc and kindy that my daughter attended oso no hanyu pinyin. Then my chinese enrichment teacher oso stress on word recognition. She says hanyu pinyin wait till next year.

I was thinking of sending my gal for a trip to China to do crush course

Gin,
dd1's cc actually wanted 2 follow moe's instruction not 2 teach but de chinese teacher requested 2 only start teachin durin 2nd half of de yr.

ssm,
isn't de maths guidebk u were lookin 4 in popular gd enuf? btw have u found it? i also wanna buy ...

chicken little,
how did u have dis idea of sendin yr gal 2 do crash course in china? dd1's friend's mum is fm china so she sent her 2 stay wif relatives back home so dat she can study durin de nov/dec hols. she says by de time her gal comes back 2 s'pore, she's 6 mths ahead of her classmates. is dat true?

jh
because my gal native chinese teacher who daughter is pri 3 now did the same thing for her daughter lor. Let me find out more

Crash course in China - sounds interesting.. But I guess parents have to accompany since they're so young. Would love to bring my kids to schools in China but they may be too young. Pri schools also have such exchange program.

jh,
the last time when i checked with Popular, the guidebook was out of stock and no news when the publisher will come out with the new syllabus.

jh/ssm,
Haven't been following but what does the Maths guidebook teaches?

Is it maths like additions / deduction. I recently bought this Scholastic Maths for Grade 1 (order from school) and my kids love it. It is worksheet based allowing the kids to practice addition / deduction, greater than / lesser than, tens & ones, time etc. Gradually gets difficult. But the worksheet is very colorful and creative so my kids love to do. In fact, first time I see them so enthusiastic & excited doing worksheet ; P

Ma22,

Initially she was attending nursery at PAP when i observe no progress i changed to montessori and Farrer was closer and fee was reasonable. How can i contact u?

My girl so keen in doing Mandarin i have started classes for her near Block 3, Bkt Merah on Wed from 5.30 to 7.30pm, if you are free mayb we can meet next week.

ssm
what's the title of that Maths guide book?
by which author?

Iwg26
Scholastic Maths available from popular?
by which author?

thanks in advance
happy.gif

hippo/gin

this is the guidebook which one of the mummies recommended sometime back, it is showing different types of questions. Basically problem sums can be:
1) models
2) trial & error
3) table format
etc

"P1 My pals are here! - The Essential Parents Guide to Primary 1 Maths"
Author: Dr Fong Ho Keong
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
UP: $9.50
Now: $8.55

Hippo,
It is "Scholastic 100 Maths Activities need to do by 1st Grade". I bought it from Scholastic in Singapore (through school), don't think it's available in Popular. Scholastic has a office in S'pore.

This book is suitable for K1 to K2 kids. Start from most basic of writing 1 to 100 to basic math concept like addition, time, simple model. My ds does the easy parts while my dd does the difficult sums behind.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Words-Math-Workbook-Grade/dp/0439566797

chickenlittle,

Need some advise i am non chinese but my girl has been learning chinese in k1 and now in k2. She insists she wants to continue in P1 at the moment i have put her for tuition on hanyu pinyin with native chinese teacher. My worry whether she can cope till PSLE.

Anyone have any suggestion or advise. The other alternative i have to select tamil or Malay next year. Is mandarin very tough? Pls suggest good centers for enrichment to enhance her skills.

devi

Yes, Chinese is tough even for Mandarin speaking families

my neighbour's daughter speaks Mandarin at home but Chinese is still her weakest subject. Besides speaking the language, need to be able to read & write.
Writing is the toughest part

Sleepy

Thk you but how can i discourage her from taking mandarin and suggest other languages to her. Cos the moment i say mayb you might need to change your language (tamil) she gets very upset and starts crying..I am in dillemma

Her mandarin teacher tells me that she's good (not sure how good) and understands me (well don't know how much). I myself lost when comes to mandarin....reaaaally lost

ssm,
oic, i found one last book in a popular bookstore, but it was tattered. did a quick glance and is not particularly impressed.

Hi Rfbabe

I'm intend to send my son to Ahmad Ibrahim Pri Sch in Yishun (P1 2009) next year although i stay in Woodlands.

I'll be under phase 2C so don't know what are the chances of getting in.

fz,
oh really ah? The nvm lah, I will continue to look for good maths guidebook. If there's any good one, please recommend!
happy.gif

Hi Linda,
Ya, I am also looking around but guess I'll choose schools in sembawang, nearer to my mum' place. Also, the standard I heard from friends is quite good.

Hi Hippo,

Have heard not too good comments about Canberra recently... in fact, many parents recommended me Sembawang Pri instead. Heard their P and VP just changed 2 years ago.

Heard their PSLE results were very good for the past 2 years. Their last year top PSLE student got 282. With the new Principal, there seems to be quite a few programme which parents like.

But I'll still ask around.

Hi Rfbabe,

I am staying in sembawang. I have heard abt the comments about Canberra. V stressful and alot of hw. Heard got to learn 70 words for spelling and teacher only select 20 words out of the 70 words learnt.
Sembawang pri on the other hand has produce top psle student and also have 2 gifted students last yr.
I am considering putting my boy in Endevour Pri. Their principal is previously from Nan Chiau. My frend son is inside. They say the principal v nice and friendly. Teachers young and energetic.

Hi Shirley,

Wow... 70 words.. personally I feel that Quality is what matters most, not quantity.

Ya, heard that the top two pupils in Sembawang Schools for PSLE last year came from Sembawang Pri. If not mistaken, the 2006 batch produced 6 pupils who went to RI or RGS. That's why I'm very impressed.

I've heard about Endeavour Pri too. It's impt to have good leaders.

"Sembawang pri on the other hand has produce top psle student and also have 2 gifted students' last yr. "

hi Shirley,

may i know how Sembawang pri produce '2 gifted students'last year? are you refering to the P3 GEP selection test (that is there are two P3 students from Sembawang primary being selected into GEP)?

Hi Jenny,

Yes.. those GEP selection test which is taken when the child is in P3. They are selected and move onto sch which provide GEP program.

Hi Rflbabe,

I am impressed! 2006 batch 6 students went to RI or RGS. Anyone has any idea abt Canberra? How's their last yr 2007 PSLE result?

hi Shirley,
Thanks for the info. The other school in Yishun also no bad, I heard that there are 11 students from ChongFu Primary be selected into GEP and for PSLE, top score is 285.

Regarding the 2007 PSLE result (Canberra), you can get the info from the school's website. Read from the article that the top score is 273.
The New Paper 23 Nov 2007:
http://www.canberrapri.moe.edu.sg/working/23_nov_psle.pdf

hippo2002,
just received a notice that my boy's school have 5 reported cases of HFMD. probably keeping him at home from next week onwards.

mummies,
how do you coach english at home? comprehension is straight forward, but how about past/present tense, collective nouns etc? besides pure memory? TIA

Hi Jenny,
Thanks for the info on Chongfu. But it's is quite difficult to get into Chongfu if staying more than 1 km away.

Oh yes, any parents put your kids to Kumon or MPM? So far any feedback?

Big hello to all the mummies here!!
This is a wonderful site!! Really learn a lot fromm all the mummies here.I had always been a silent reader, too much to learn from everyone.
By the way , would love to share some tips with all..
1. Kumon english- Hippo is right , there is no compo. Ony lots of reading & comprehension. It really help to build a strong foundation for kids below 6year old . It works for my 5+ boy.
I have a close friend who is a educator told me that reading is very important & also we have to constantly remind ourselves to use proper english . ( have to watch our la... & lol..)

Kumon Chinese- Lots of center offer good mandarin program. I personally prefer kumon as i believe language learning should be done daily & gradually. Not aiming my son to score 10 A's. Just wanna him to be able to learn "HOW TO STUDY"..Kumon has CD for them to listen which take them not more then half hour to listen to it.. .. My son started chinese with kumon since 3 year old. He is lucky to have my mum to coach him on chinese stroke & pin yin. As mentioned by hippo again, chinese stroke is very important. According to my mum who is a chinese primary school teacher, most of the time, the chinese teacher teaches very fast. The syllybus they have to cover really kill those kids who are weak or those without any formal training in chinese. The china boy who is currently staying with me is suffering as the mum thought it is easy for her son. He is in primary one & he has to learn pin yin & has to practise writing chinese & english daily .I had advise the mum one year ago that she should have get her boy to learn earlier. Although the boy speaks very good mandarin & is very intelligent, he is feeling the stress as he has lots of revision. Not much time to play now.

Kumon Math- My son is still with kumon. Searched all over, still cant find another math center which has good programme. We went to MPM too. Feel the same way as Hippo. We decided to leave him in Kumon. Bought some primary math text book for him too. It works for him. Just wanna make sure that he understand the math concept as kumon math is just worksheets given to them daily.The kid has to complete one everyday. So just treating it as a form of brain exercise.

China trip- Yes, thumbs up for this great idea!!
(Quite costly!! Used up my savings..
sad.gif

He spent one month in a shanghai kindergarten when he was four year old. Pick up quite a bit from there.We also arrange for a china boy to stay with us so he has more chance to speak mandarin when he is back home in Singapore.

Time management-We have to try our best to slot in more play time for him. Tough job!!

Mummies rest time- This is my comfort zone!!
Learning from everyone out here to be great mum & great to see so many mummies out there sharing all these information without any ill feelings. ( most of the people on some expat site sucks. They tend to give very very negative remarks!! very nasty people on most expat site.)

Sweet dreams to all mummies... Busy day ahead..zzzzz

To all the lovely Mummies here,
Sorry,forgot to mention again that my son is currently in K2. Going to Primary One next year too.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. got to sleep now..
happy.gif
))

Hi fz

Understand your child is attending MMI Math. Can i have your feedback.

Are they required to do any worksheet/homework? Does MMI follow the MOE syllabus?

Thanks

Linda,
you may want to enquire with the MMI that you are looking at. the bukit timah branch that my boy is at...i am actually trying to get him transfer out of the programme. from the curriculum i find only 50% of the whole course is beneficial to my boy. despite that the website state that the programme is suitable for 5-7, the centre's brochure (which i only found out recently) state that the programme is for 4.5-5 yrs old. so it is good if your kid is in K1.
no homework...doesn't follow moe syllabus. in any case, there is no moe syllabus for kindergarten math.

i think there is another mummy whose kid is in MMI math but different branch and she is pretty satisfied with her dd's progress....but i just can't remember who...:p

Hi Fz

Thanks for yr feedback.

The MMI i'm looking at is at Woodlands near where i stay. Their brochure state the programme is for 4-6 and it covers Numbers, clock, number bonds, shapes, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, ordinal numbers, decimal system, fractions, skip counting, odd/even numbers calendar, money.

Now am comtemplating whether to enroll my son at MMI or Math&Eng for K2 at Just Education (which follow MOE syllabus).

ya..linda,
yes...considering the youngest classmate will be 4 yrs old, how difficult/challenging do you think the curriculum will be? depending on your needs. will be good if you have yet to introduce any math foundation to your kid.

MMI's curriculum is as such.
Numbers, clock, number bonds, shapes, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, ordinal numbers, decimal system, fractions, skip counting, odd/even numbers calendar, money.
Numbers is writing 1-100.
my boy's centre don't cover decimal place.

except for multiplication, division, decimal system and fractions, my boy knows the rest. and if you sign up now, the 12mths course will stretch up until your kid's P1 mid year...so you must consider if that is what you want. my boy's centre will forfeit our deposit if we withdraw before the course ends.

Ya...i think justeducation do advance teaching. may be good for long term.

Kssg,
Talking about Kumon, so in total your son is taking 3 subjects? Can he handle it? My son is taking 2 subjects, he is also 5 going to Pri 1 next year, actually wanted to starts him with Chinese but the center teacher do not encourage as she tell me 2 subejcts is already taxing.

Back