Work from home mum

Anycai

Hi everyone, I'm considering to stay home to work and care for my infant, anyone has experience with this?

Currently, I'm expecting my first child and wondering how I should plan my life after childbirth.

I'm working as a designer in IT industry, earning a good salary and have good prospects and I'm passionate about my work. I'm also making almost twice the amount of pay compared to my husband. My husband didn't have any ambition, working a stable job, but a role with no prospect. Still, they have a small salary increment every year. We concluded that I couldn't stop working because his salary won't be able to support the family nor just my salary.

The problem is we've no one to care for our baby expect me unless we hire a helper. After hearing lots of horror stories about getting a domestic helper to take care of the kid, I want to avoid this. Maybe we can hire a part-time weekly cleaner.

Both our mums are single working mum, and we were under the care of others while growing up. For me, I understand the effects of lack of attention from my parents and seeing the other caretaker as a parent: I don't want to repeat the mistake of my parent. I want to be there for my baby's first 3 years of life because there is a Chinese saying, 3岁定80. That means how you build the foundation of the kid for the first 3 years of their experience, will last them till they are 80 years old.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone.

Last edited:

Im exactly in your same shoes: working from home with no help from parents/inlaws/relatives.. am stuck as well

Hi everyone, I'm considering to stay home to work and care for my infant, anyone has experience with this?

Currently, I'm expecting my first child and wondering how I should plan my life after childbirth.

I'm working as a designer in IT industry, earning a good salary and have good prospects and I'm passionate about my work. I'm also making almost twice the amount of pay compared to my husband. My husband didn't have any ambition, working a stable job, but a role with no prospect. Still, they have a small salary increment every year. We concluded that I couldn't stop working because his salary won't be able to support the family nor just my salary.

The problem is we've no one to care for our baby expect me unless we hire a helper. After hearing lots of horror stories about getting a domestic helper to take care of the kid, I want to avoid this. Maybe we can hire a part-time weekly cleaner.

Both our mums are single working mum, and we were under the care of others while growing up. For me, I understand the effects of lack of attention from my parents and seeing the other caretaker as a parent: I don't want to repeat the mistake of my parent. I want to be there for my baby's first 3 years of life because there is a Chinese saying, 3岁定80. That means how you build the foundation of the kid for the first 3 years of their experience, will last them till they are 80 years old.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone.

I am currently in this situation. Just back from maternity and wfh due to covid. My husband is taking care of baby but it is not easy for me. My infant cries for milk every 3-4 hours and cry for other reasons. Even I am not the main caregiver, I am super mentally exhausted - focusing on work and the crying takes away my focus away from work, making me relatively inefficient. If you are able the main caregiver and also holding full time job, I think it will be super tough, unless you can walk away from work to attend baby as and when baby needs you and go back to work without worries

I m w u regard to embark on this great mission (shm).

All u need to do is to get following blessings:
1) hub agrees 100% financial support.
2) hub and u accept 66% reduction in disposable income.
3) hub and u accept the the remaining 33% disposable income is good enough to raise a kid, payoff all expenses and debts.

If he accepts (1), (2)&(3) will fall in place.

Yes, agreed 三岁定八十。just make sure the first 3yrs don't end up arguing in front of kid can liao.

Thanks, Ocho and Mongkok for your reply, these are great sharing. I'm reconsidering my options carefully, need to balance sanity (mental exhaustion) and financial stability.

I've watched a few youtube videos of work from home mums sharing their routines. If the baby sleeps for a few hours, those mum still can work a few hours, definitely won't be able to work 8 hours a day. I'm considering working 4 hours daily instead of giving up work entirely.

Ocho, how long does your baby sleep?

Mongkok, I actually found the research paper to back up the 三岁定八十's saying.
Google "三岁定八十是有科学依据的" the sohu article written by the writer sums it up well.
Google "Children's behavioral styles at age 3 are linked to their adult personality traits at age 26" + "pdf" to read the research paper.

Thanks, Ocho and Mongkok for your reply, these are great sharing. I'm reconsidering my options carefully, need to balance sanity (mental exhaustion) and financial stability.

I've watched a few youtube videos of work from home mums sharing their routines. If the baby sleeps for a few hours, those mum still can work a few hours, definitely won't be able to work 8 hours a day. I'm considering working 4 hours daily instead of giving up work entirely.

Ocho, how long does your baby sleep?

Mongkok, I actually found the research paper to back up the 三岁定八十's saying.
Google "三岁定八十是有科学依据的" the sohu article written by the writer sums it up well.
Google "Children's behavioral styles at age 3 are linked to their adult personality traits at age 26" + "pdf" to read the research paper.

My baby sleep through the night 9pm - 8am so I get relatively good rest. She takes a nap about 1-2 hours in the morning and another 2 hours in afternoon. I think it is a pretty good for 4 hours work day.

Hi Mummies

Work from home is possible in today's world and situation.

If you would like to know how.
I cordially invite you to join this FB group DigitalMums@work.

We are a group of Mums that has setup this online community to support Mums to learn & develop their desire to launch and grow their own businesses. A safe space to ask questions, share, collaborate, get support and lift each other up.

Back