Withholding salary for 2 years. Is that possible?

Hi Mummies,

I’m asking this on behalf of a Friend. Hope anybody who is an expert in the audit/financial sector can advise.

Her hubby is from a listed co and salary is commission based. Almost 2 years ago, on a particular month, her hubby’s salary wasn’t paid out by the company and he claimed that it was due to an audit check. He claims that the company still has not paid him this amount of about $13k even up till now when he has been fired by the company. Is that possible? The company is saying that there is some issues with the audit and case has not been closed, that’s why the salary for that month has not been paid out, didn’t give an answer as to when they can pay him back the money. Is the Husband lying?

Hi Mummies,

I’m asking this on behalf of a Friend. Hope anybody who is an expert in the audit/financial sector can advise.

Her hubby is from a listed co and salary is commission based. Almost 2 years ago, on a particular month, her hubby’s salary wasn’t paid out by the company and he claimed that it was due to an audit check. He claims that the company still has not paid him this amount of about $13k even up till now when he has been fired by the company. Is that possible? The company is saying that there is some issues with the audit and case has not been closed, that’s why the salary for that month has not been paid out, didn’t give an answer as to when they can pay him back the money. Is the Husband lying?

Under MOM law, pay cannot be withheld and must be paid within 7 days, even if it’s commission based, there should be a fixed salary. So it’s the fixed salary not paid or commission not paid?

Under MOM law, pay cannot be withheld and must be paid within 7 days, even if it’s commission based, there should be a fixed salary. So it’s the fixed salary not paid or commission not paid?

I believe is the whole sum not paid. The basic is $500 only. I’m not sure if the basic is paid. But they are able to hold on to the commission?

Is the company subject to a special audit? You'll be able to check this from the company's sgx page. Special audit is a very serious matter.

If it's just regular finance audit, all audit should be completed within 4 months from the end of the financial year. I think your friend should raise this to MOM because something weird is going on.

Is the company subject to a special audit? You'll be able to check this from the company's sgx page. Special audit is a very serious matter.

If it's just regular finance audit, all audit should be completed within 4 months from the end of the financial year. I think your friend should raise this to MOM because something weird is going on.

I’m not sure also, never heard of an audit that can take so long. She went to the SGX website but couldn’t find anything. But financial report in the company’s website for 2017 was already out. How can it be that the company is still not paying the salary they owe then?

Back