Unwed moms

@jerlicious - There are no benefits being an unwed single mother because the government doesn't want to encourage unwed single mothers.
If there is no benefits, I strongly believe that USM doen not qualify to enjoy the benefits of SG50.

Not too sure about unwed moms benefits ya. Totally no clue. Is there a number I can call to ask?
Apparently unwed mom has no benefits.
But children of unwed moms receive equal treatment (except baby bonus which i dont know why either when baby bonus is used for the baby)

Minus from the lesser benefits It's scary to think of being an unwed. I wonder how people copes
for me, i choose to be unwed because i dun want to get marry now and i'm not that young so faster TTC...
as long as both of you and your partner has a house, stable income and financially ok, the benefits are just something extra...

i also told my boss and colleagues i TTC... then unwed mum only gt 8 weeks maternity leave, so i told them i may take unpaid leave for another 3 to 6 months, depending on my baby.. so far they understand..

for me, i choose to be unwed because i dun want to get marry now and i'm not that young so faster TTC...
as long as both of you and your partner has a house, stable income and financially ok, the benefits are just something extra...

i also told my boss and colleagues i TTC... then unwed mum only gt 8 weeks maternity leave, so i told them i may take unpaid leave for another 3 to 6 months, depending on my baby.. so far they understand..
Wats ttc??

Ya indeed v. I'm a divorcee so is my bf. I hv no kids. He has two kids which he hates Tt is partial cause for him to div. I reli no idea y in the first plce I hv fallen for such an irresponsible man cos I myself wanted to hv a family and settle down eventually. And I did mention it to him all along. When tgt he mention Tt if I ever got preg he will marry me but it's not happening now. We hv been tgt for 2 yrs and now he say he jus divorced 2 yrs ago away from all the troubles and problems of marriage and kids commitments and now he had to jump back in again. I guess I shld hv seen it coming all along. I oso nv expect I gt preg cos all along my health ain't Tt gd and Mensus irregular as well plus I had a blocked tube. Jus before I found out I'm pregnant I already wanted to broke up with him bcos he is Alws hiding and lying things from me and his abusive and foul temper Tt i cannot tolerate anymore. Bt I guess my luck seems to be on the down side ya. Bt I gib a dbl check in case even though I Alws misses my Mensus 1-2 wks. I wan to make sure ya. Guess my life is so full of dramas. All along I wanted to keep my bb cos this is consider my third pregnancy. I had an abortion and miscarriage before alrdy. Bt I am so afraid for my bb future. So many uncertainties. I can't reli handle my emotions very well tts y. I'm scare and lost. Been crying everyday. My Bb is 9 wks tmr.

Hi Jerlicious,

In life everything will seem so hard and you will feel that you are in dead end that you cant move at all. But trust me, when you are confident of what you want, I am sure any problem that arises will seem small and you will be able to find solutions to your problems that you are facing. I would not suggest you to go for abortion because, you will be killing an innocent baby. That's my own opinion but you still have the right to choose the best because only you know what situation you are in. However, why didn't break off with your boyfriend earlier on when you know he doesn't seems to be a trustworthy person because he keep lying and hiding things from you. In my opinions, I feel he is irresponsible man. A man who truly loves & treasures you, will be truthful, will be able to give his all to be committed to you and moreover he wont abuse you. There is no reason for a man using his power to abuse a woman. A psycho will do this. I am sorry but seriously I hate man who abuse woman. Jerlicious, you have to be strong at this time. Dont reck on what has happened. Think about your future with the baby. Don't give room to others who are trying to use on you. I agree with pixie ng that the benefits we get from the government is just additional. But think in the past there is no such benefits, but people still give birth and grow their children. Dont depend on others. Depend only on yourself. I am sure you can do it.

Life is so precious. Babies are a miracle and a blessing to us. All bcos of his own selfishness then my bb has to suffer. Maybe I'm stupid that I really love my bf too much. But he is making me feels that I am losing my dignity. Now I hv to lose my bb too for him. The last thing I wish for is to abort but I'm so scare. I know my family and friends will be around me to help out of I insist of keeping. And as long I have a job my baby will have enough too. Can't hv the best Bt will be Enuff. Even if my bf and me got married he will also ignore my bb like how he did to his previous 2 kids. It's not working out with him no matter what. I worried for my unstable emotions state now. Idk if I can handle till my bb birth alone. My bf is still acmpnying me to the gynea and paying and all. He doesn't wish to lose me Bt just doesn't wants my bb nor wants to get married yet. He can tells me he will pays for Everytink watever decision I made even if I were to gib birth but just no commitments for him. I will be a moron if I believe his words. I feel he is afraid of sometink Bt ain't telling me. He just wants to sees me to go abortion so he can hv a relief. I really feels lik telling him mom even though his mom will still agree to his doings. To my Bf's mom he is nv wrong, his previous div his mom can oso blame me for the cause when all along my bf is not being truthful with everyone including me. I noe I'm stupid. I hv no one to blame but myself. Bt y does my bb hv to suffer wit me even before bb is born?? :'(

Last edited:
actually marriage doesnt make the guy responsible being... if not we wont see so many irresponsible married guys arnd...
anyway you knew your bf doesnt like kids and you still didnt take precaution, so i guess you knew what will happen eventually...
then again you knew your bf is irresponsible person, it is best that you dont marry him... please note that marriage doesnt change a guy from irresponsible to responsible.
my ex hub never change....

personally for me, i told my bf even without him, i can take care of the bb.. i no need a marriage as insurance (like alot of women think marriage is an insurance so you can claim alimony & child maintenance). i have a house, a stable job and sufficient saving. if he ever piss me off, and i dun want to see him rest of my life, i would take the baby and relocate to another country. i dun wan a single cent from him and he wun see us for the rest of his life.

anyway i'm out of the norms, i dun see marriage as important as majority of the people.. as long as my bf love, care and pamper me like now. i dun think marriage is necessary.

Last edited:
Ya indeed v. I'm a divorcee so is my bf. I hv no kids. He has two kids which he hates Tt is partial cause for him to div. I reli no idea y in the first plce I hv fallen for such an irresponsible man cos I myself wanted to hv a family and settle down eventually. And I did mention it to him all along. When tgt he mention Tt if I ever got preg he will marry me but it's not happening now. We hv been tgt for 2 yrs and now he say he jus divorced 2 yrs ago away from all the troubles and problems of marriage and kids commitments and now he had to jump back in again. I guess I shld hv seen it coming all along. I oso nv expect I gt preg cos all along my health ain't Tt gd and Mensus irregular as well plus I had a blocked tube. Jus before I found out I'm pregnant I already wanted to broke up with him bcos he is Alws hiding and lying things from me and his abusive and foul temper Tt i cannot tolerate anymore. Bt I guess my luck seems to be on the down side ya. Bt I gib a dbl check in case even though I Alws misses my Mensus 1-2 wks. I wan to make sure ya. Guess my life is so full of dramas. All along I wanted to keep my bb cos this is consider my third pregnancy. I had an abortion and miscarriage before alrdy. Bt I am so afraid for my bb future. So many uncertainties. I can't reli handle my emotions very well tts y. I'm scare and lost. Been crying everyday. My Bb is 9 wks tmr.

Jerlicious ... Be strong for your baby. It might be tough in the beginning but you and your baby will get through this. Trust me.
I am an unwed mother. I am now 38 yrs old going on 39. I became an unwed mother when I was 29 yrs old. My daughter is in now in Primary 4 and she is diagnosed dyslexic and ADHD. I was the one who called off the wedding 2 days before we were supposed to go through solemnisation ceremony. It wasn't an easy decision to make cos invitations had been sent out, deposit for restaurant been paid, plus I was a RC member , so I had to be thick skin walking around my neighourhood with a bug tummy, unemployed. On top of that , to make it worse, I had to call SDS ( Social Development Service ) to ask them cancel the feature interview of my ex and me in their magazine ... Cos I met him at SDS's first Speed Dating activity ... So when we decided to get married, I went to inform the facilitator of the activity to thank her.

Things were uncertain in the beginning. Immediately after I finished my 1 month confinement, I went out and got a job. Few months after my daughter's birth, I bought insurance for her for her education . Few years after that, I bought medical insurance for her.

As an unwed mom, yes we are not entitled to IRAS Working Mother's Child Relief but there are many other financial subsidies available ... For me, for PCF Kindergarten fees, I applied KiFAS / for her dyslexia , she is attending lessons on Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday ( English at 90% subsidy ; Maths at 75% subsidy ) / for her visits to Child Guidance Clinic for ADHD , I got 100% subsidy / for her eyes problems where she had sought treatment at Singapore National Eye Centre, I got 100% subsidy...... What I am trying to say is, many organisations do offer financial aids of some sort... Some might be publicised .. Some might not openly advertise about the financial aids ... Don't be shy or embarrassed to ask if there is any financial aids to apply for low income families ...not for unwed mom to apply but coming from the angle of low income families cos many financial aids are for low income, doesn't matter if you are unwed or married mother.

There used to be a support group for unwed mothers called " Flyin Solo " but I think it is now defunct.

Below is a support group helping single parents. You might want to give them a call if you want to see what kind of help they can provide you. Good luck :)

HELP FAMILY SERVICE CENTRE
http://www.helpfsc.org.sg/about-help/mission

actually marriage doesnt make the guy responsible being... if not we wont see so many irresponsible married guys arnd...
anyway you knew your bf doesnt like kids and you still didnt take precaution, so i guess you knew what will happen eventually...
then again you knew your bf is irresponsible person, it is best that you dont marry him... please note that marriage doesnt change a guy from irresponsible to responsible.
my ex hub never change....

personally for me, i told my bf even without him, i can take care of the bb.. i no need a marriage as insurance (like alot of women think marriage is an insurance so you can claim alimony & child maintenance). i have a house, a stable job and sufficient saving. if he ever piss me off, and i dun want to see him rest of my life, i would take the baby and relocate to another country. i dun wan a single cent from him and he wun see us for the rest of his life.

anyway i'm out of the norms, i dun see marriage as important as majority of the people.. as long as my bf love, care and pamper me like now. i dun think marriage is necessary.
Ur a very strong and independent woman indeed. For me I dun hv a house can only bunk in tgt w my parents. I felt I alrdy a burden to them then yet now I hv to tc of bb myself if my bf reli wan to shrink all responsibility. I can't deny I'm quite a dependent person, emotionally and prolly physically. I come from a normal family Bt not much love from it. I guess tts y I Alws felt the sense of insecurity. For sure I noe at long I am working and do not anyhow spent lik i use to be, then Im sure I can get by tgt w bb without the irresponsible hb. For me to get a marriage cert i never tot of as a security. Bt more of Tt we can buy hs tgt ya. Tink my bf his previous marriage wasn't a gd one thus his phobia. Nonetheless, he is just too selfish for himself, nv spare a tot for me and bb. I hope I can be firm and strong to keep my bb. Abortion appointment is on wed morning. By tue Midnite I hv to decide alrdy. Cos gona take the abortion pills, after taking then I Canot regret anymore =(

On a side note: aft awhile we didn't took precautions bcos for me I tot I had a block Fallopian tube and Tt my Mensus wasn't regular nor a lot thus shldnt be able to get pregnant so easily as of this fast. Bt all the while I did ask him wat will he do if I were to get preg and he said marry me ya. Thn I guess well, his worth are not trust worthy at all. It's only just say but nv actions. So if I were to decide to gib birth thn I Canot depend or rely on him at all. It's all on me alone now. I Canot imagine the next 6-7 mths how do I survive emotionally ya.

Jerlicious ... Be strong for your baby. It might be tough in the beginning but you and your baby will get through this. Trust me.
I am an unwed mother. I am now 38 yrs old going on 39. I became an unwed mother when I was 29 yrs old. My daughter is in now in Primary 4 and she is diagnosed dyslexic and ADHD. I was the one who called off the wedding 2 days before we were supposed to go through solemnisation ceremony. It wasn't an easy decision to make cos invitations had been sent out, deposit for restaurant been paid, plus I was a RC member , so I had to be thick skin walking around my neighourhood with a bug tummy, unemployed. On top of that , to make it worse, I had to call SDS ( Social Development Service ) to ask them cancel the feature interview of my ex and me in their magazine ... Cos I met him at SDS's first Speed Dating activity ... So when we decided to get married, I went to inform the facilitator of the activity to thank her.

Things were uncertain in the beginning. Immediately after I finished my 1 month confinement, I went out and got a job. Few months after my daughter's birth, I bought insurance for her for her education . Few years after that, I bought medical insurance for her.

As an unwed mom, yes we are not entitled to IRAS Working Mother's Child Relief but there are many other financial subsidies available ... For me, for PCF Kindergarten fees, I applied KiFAS / for her dyslexia , she is attending lessons on Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday ( English at 90% subsidy ; Maths at 75% subsidy ) / for her visits to Child Guidance Clinic for ADHD , I got 100% subsidy / for her eyes problems where she had sought treatment at Singapore National Eye Centre, I got 100% subsidy...... What I am trying to say is, many organisations do offer financial aids of some sort... Some might be publicised .. Some might not openly advertise about the financial aids ... Don't be shy or embarrassed to ask if there is any financial aids to apply for low income families ...not for unwed mom to apply but coming from the angle of low income families cos many financial aids are for low income, doesn't matter if you are unwed or married mother.

There used to be a support group for unwed mothers called " Flyin Solo " but I think it is now defunct.

Below is a support group helping single parents. You might want to give them a call if you want to see what kind of help they can provide you. Good luck :)

HELP FAMILY SERVICE CENTRE
http://www.helpfsc.org.sg/about-help/mission
Hi Eileen thanks for sharing with me ur experience. If in case I reli decide to keep my bb and needed to get more info from u, I will PM u. Thanks again.

Hi Eileen thanks for sharing with me ur experience. If in case I reli decide to keep my bb and needed to get more info from u, I will PM u. Thanks again.

I personally feel unborn baby is innocent. He or she has no say on their survival, his or her life in parents's hands. To me, abortion never ever cross my mind. Even when I decided to call off the wedding, I never for a moment thought of abortion as to me , that is killing a life. I know I will not be able to live with the guilt for rest of my life. My daughter's conception wasn't an accident. It was my idea to try for a baby but I didn't foresee our relationship would turn sour and to the point of no return before our solemnisation.

If you feel you are financially not able to raise him or her on your own, you can always consider giving baby up for adoption , help those couples who are desperately trying for a baby but unable to conceive.

I had the support of my parents when I decide to keep my baby. Shortly after her birth, I bought over the HDB from my brother . Cos I was only 29 yrs old, I co own the flat with my mom. Paid a big chunk out of my CPF account, then every month deduct $425 for payment of the mortgage loan to HDB.

If you are able to settle infant care , as long as you have a stable job, I believe you can raise your baby on your own, even if baby's father doesn't want give maintenance. Remember I said PCF have KiFAS, when your child goes to primary school, can apply for MOE FAS where they offers successful applicant free textbooks, free school uniforms and shoes, $20 stationery vouchers. School bus service. ... Not sure if they provide 100% free...there is option to tick in the application form ... I didn't tick as not required by me since we stay so near school... MOE FAS also give the students $1.50 meal voucher every school day. Student under the scheme has to go to school General Office to collect and sign acknowledgment of collection of voucher.

If you need legal advice on custody and maintenance, can approach Legal Aid Bureau for consultation.

https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/lab/en/applying-for-legal-aid/how-do-i-apply-for-legal-aid.html

Last edited:
Ur a very strong and independent woman indeed. For me I dun hv a house can only bunk in tgt w my parents. I felt I alrdy a burden to them then yet now I hv to tc of bb myself if my bf reli wan to shrink all responsibility. I can't deny I'm quite a dependent person, emotionally and prolly physically. I come from a normal family Bt not much love from it. I guess tts y I Alws felt the sense of insecurity. For sure I noe at long I am working and do not anyhow spent lik i use to be, then Im sure I can get by tgt w bb without the irresponsible hb. For me to get a marriage cert i never tot of as a security. Bt more of Tt we can buy hs tgt ya. Tink my bf his previous marriage wasn't a gd one thus his phobia. Nonetheless, he is just too selfish for himself, nv spare a tot for me and bb. I hope I can be firm and strong to keep my bb. Abortion appointment is on wed morning. By tue Midnite I hv to decide alrdy. Cos gona take the abortion pills, after taking then I Canot regret anymore =(

On a side note: aft awhile we didn't took precautions bcos for me I tot I had a block Fallopian tube and Tt my Mensus wasn't regular nor a lot thus shldnt be able to get pregnant so easily as of this fast. Bt all the while I did ask him wat will he do if I were to get preg and he said marry me ya. Thn I guess well, his worth are not trust worthy at all. It's only just say but nv actions. So if I were to decide to gib birth thn I Canot depend or rely on him at all. It's all on me alone now. I Canot imagine the next 6-7 mths how do I survive emotionally ya.

actually no need marry.. if you have baby, you can apply hdb with the baby...
personally i find cannot fully rely on men or anyone except your family...
i guess it boils down what you want in your life... if you think baby will be a burden for you and you never want him/her, then go ahead to abort..
but if you think baby is what you want eventually but now you kinda speed things up, and you are willing to be responsible for the baby (even without the guy) then you should have the baby...

Thanks everyone for being so supportive. I have decided to keep my bb. I hv nv tot of wanting to abort all the while Bt the bb dad is giving me so much pressure. Although I am extremely upset Bt nv once did I tot of ending my life bcos I am fighting so hard to keep one ya. As long bb healthy I can't take it away from me. Though I can't really feel the movements of my bb yet cos only 9w3d but I can feel it's growing inside me. From the empty sac to where I can see the Heartbeat and the length of my bb. From at wk 7 only 1.3cm to wk 9 at 2.3cm. My next gynea appointment will be when bb at wk 11. I heard we can take the oscar test to check for down syndromes and abnormalities. Til then I pray for every thing Tt my bb is healthy. Currently am on utrogestan til tomorrow. Hope aft Tt without the utrogestan bb can stil be strong. Still got a long way to go for me.

actually you can tell him that your baby is yours alone. if he wants he can put his name and birth cert. if he doesn't want, then further prove about what he say he didn't want to commit...
anyway if he willing to put his name in birth cert, you can claim child maintenance from him even both of you didnt get marry

Ya doesn't matters he wans to put his name in bb BC anot. If he doesn't wana put then bb will follow my surname lor. If he wana provide thn to me is a bonus, he doesn't want then I just save more for my baby ya.

Ya doesn't matters he wans to put his name in bb BC anot. If he doesn't wana put then bb will follow my surname lor. If he wana provide thn to me is a bonus, he doesn't want then I just save more for my baby ya.

Jerlicious, some advice from 过来人 ( someone who been there, done that ).

I put my daughter's biological dad name on birth cert. To me, I didn't want my girl grow up thinking she has no dad when she looks at BC and see blank section at Father's particulars.

I told him that time when I called off wedding, I am keeping baby. Whether he gives maintenance support or not up to him. If he gives , will lighten my load. If he doesn't give, I won't blame him.

I didn't realize the subsequent hassle I will encounter by putting his info in our child's BC.

Eg : I always apply Bursary for DAS ( Dyslexia Association of Singapore ) fees every year , when 1st term started but cos BC listed him as father, I had to write a self declaration to indicate we are not legally married and that there is no court order on him to provide child support.

And Primary 1 school enrollment, if my memory served me well, also encountered a bit of problem cos have fill up both parents' info when the BC has father info. You might want call up primary school ( like I did ) in advance of enrollment to check if you need to write any self-declaration to register child for primary school when child is born out of wedlock and BC has father's info.

Do u stil ke
Jerlicious, some advice from 过来人 ( someone who been there, done that ).

I put my daughter's biological dad name on birth cert. To me, I didn't want my girl grow up thinking she has no dad when she looks at BC and see blank section at Father's particulars.

I told him that time when I called off wedding, I am keeping baby. Whether he gives maintenance support or not up to him. If he gives , will lighten my load. If he doesn't give, I won't blame him.

I didn't realize the subsequent hassle I will encounter by putting his info in our child's BC.

Eg : I always apply Bursary for DAS ( Dyslexia Association of Singapore ) fees every year , when 1st term started but cos BC listed him as father, I had to write a self declaration to indicate we are not legally married and that there is no court order on him to provide child support.

And Primary 1 school enrollment, if my memory served me well, also encountered a bit of problem cos have fill up both parents' info when the BC has father info. You might want call up primary school ( like I did ) in advance of enrollment to check if you need to write any self-declaration to register child for primary school when child is born out of wedlock and BC has father's info.
oic. Guess it's jus some normal paper work issues? Shldnt be much of a concern I guess. As for he putting of dad's name on BC shall see how. If he wan to put maybe I will consider to. If not then it's ok to follow my own surname ya.

Wow reading all these is inspiring.

Im a single mom to be. Due soon in another 2 months.

He said we will work things out if ever one day i was pregnant but things didnt go well as expected.
Being young, he wants me to go for an abortion at 6 weeks.
I refused and he started womanizing. God knows how many woman he slept with.
But i kept my hopes high and just hope for the day he would come back.
But i was wrong and i finally got the courage to leave me when i was into my 7 months (which was just last month)

I regretted not leaving him earlier. I would have settle down faster.
Now im left in a total mess and trying to pick things up slowly.
I have to worry abt rental as i cant move back to my parents place due to family problem.

Thankfully i have church friends who are here to support me.
Otherwise i would have long went crazy.

I want to apply for hdb rental for 1 room flat when i turn 21 later this year. But they say must be either divorced or widowed. Any advise abt this ?

Life isnt gonna be easy but i guess it will work out

Do u stil ke

oic. Guess it's jus some normal paper work issues? Shldnt be much of a concern I guess. As for he putting of dad's name on BC shall see how. If he wan to put maybe I will consider to. If not then it's ok to follow my own surname ya.

Huh ? What is "ke" ?

My daughter's dad info on her BC but her surname follows mine. It is my decision that our daughter's surname follows mine and he had no objection. When we went to register birth at ICA, since putting his name on BC but we are not legally married , we had to do a declaration in front of ICA Officer pertaining his relationship to baby and our single status.

He said we will work things out if ever one day i was pregnant but things didnt go well as expected.
But i was wrong and i finally got the courage to leave me when i was into my 7 months (which was just last month)

I have to worry abt rental as i cant move back to my parents place due to family problem.

I want to apply for hdb rental for 1 room flat when i turn 21 later this year. But they say must be either divorced or widowed. Any advise abt this ?

Gosh mommymich, you are one brave young lady , to be going through this and still stay sane.

I don't have any solution about your housing except to suggest you approach your MP at the next Meet People Session ( held weekly at designated areas ) and share your problems with your MP. Your MP might be able help you write letter to HDB to see if they can make exception for you or maybe your MP can come up with some other solutions for you.

Below is a link for you to use in case you don't know who is your MP. Just enter your current residing area postal code.
N.B. if you are currently residing at a temp location of which that location is not listed in your IC card, then might be tricky ... Cos the MP can only serve residents in his territory . If your official residing address is under another MP's territories , the MP might ask you go to your own MP for assistance cos he can't overstep his boundaries.

Good luck and 加油 !

https://www.parliament.gov.sg/whos-my-mp

Do u stil ke

even you put dad name in BC, the kid also can follow your surname...
all up to you...

Huh ? What is "ke" ?

My daughter's dad info on her BC but her surname follows mine. It is my decision that our daughter's surname follows mine and he had no objection. When we went to register birth at ICA, since putting his name on BC but we are not legally married , we had to do a declaration in front of ICA Officer pertaining his relationship to baby and our single status.
Sorry typo for that sentence. =)

Oic, really appreciates for sharing all the info. if not for u I guess I totally am clueless. For my case it's still kinda a long way. Since i hv only decided to keep my bb. I will slowly starts to plan after my baby is more stable prolly aft week 12 ya. I know there's bound to be loadsa obstacles ahead, but I believe as long as I want I can do it no matter wat. As for the BC, will discuss with bb daddy a mth before birth.

Sorry typo for that sentence. =)

Oic, really appreciates for sharing all the info. if not for u I guess I totally am clueless. For my case it's still kinda a long way. Since i hv only decided to keep my bb. I will slowly starts to plan after my baby is more stable prolly aft week 12 ya. I know there's bound to be loadsa obstacles ahead, but I believe as long as I want I can do it no matter wat. As for the BC, will discuss with bb daddy a mth before birth.
You are most welcome. You can do it. 加油 ⛽

Woah. U r indeed one brave mommy to be. Moreover ur only so so young. I'm not a Christian but some of my surrounding friends are and they encourage me to join them too. Still considering though. =)

I guess some guys only noes how to use mouth to say instead of do ya. If ur bf is a womanizer then ur wise to leave him for good. His totally not worth and ur bête much alone ya. As for me, I dun blame my bf bcos at some point as I can understand his concerns.

HDB wise, have u call them up for enquiries already? Or like Eileen mentioned, go to ur MP for help. Cos for my case I'm 33 this year, I will go apply for a BTO flat when i turns 35. Am staying with my parents as so they can help out to take care of my bb till k2.

Side note. Anyone noes if theres any support group for unwed moms?

Woah. U r indeed one brave mommy to be. Moreover ur only so so young. I'm not a Christian but some of my surrounding friends are and they encourage me to join them too. Still considering though. =)

I guess some guys only noes how to use mouth to say instead of do ya. If ur bf is a womanizer then ur wise to leave him for good. His totally not worth and ur bête much alone ya. As for me, I dun blame my bf bcos at some point as I can understand his concerns.

HDB wise, have u call them up for enquiries already? Or like Eileen mentioned, go to ur MP for help. Cos for my case I'm 33 this year, I will go apply for a BTO flat when i turns 35. Am staying with my parents as so they can help out to take care of my bb till k2.

Support group for unwed moms ... Not that I know of.

When I was pregnant, there was a support group called Flyin'Solo started by 2 ladies , Ginny Phang and Fanny ( can't recall Fanny's surname ). This support group is now defunct. Not sure what Ginny is doing now... Last I know, she is working as a doula.

Found this old article written by Ginny ... FYI

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f56/article-ginny-phang-founder-flyinsolo-23250

Gosh mommymich, you are one brave young lady , to be going through this and still stay sane.

I don't have any solution about your housing except to suggest you approach your MP at the next Meet People Session ( held weekly at designated areas ) and share your problems with your MP. Your MP might be able help you write letter to HDB to see if they can make exception for you or maybe your MP can come up with some other solutions for you.

Below is a link for you to use in case you don't know who is your MP. Just enter your current residing area postal code.
N.B. if you are currently residing at a temp location of which that location is not listed in your IC card, then might be tricky ... Cos the MP can only serve residents in his territory . If your official residing address is under another MP's territories , the MP might ask you go to your own MP for assistance cos he can't overstep his boundaries.

Good luck and 加油 !

https://www.parliament.gov.sg/whos-my-mp

Thanks mummy. Am still deciding if i should seek mp help after i turn 21 or before

Wow. I only can apply for BTO in another 14 years :(
Hopefully by then i can save up hehe.

What about the shame that you will bring to your parents by keeping the baby? Not meant to be cruel but to have a daughter who give birth out of wedlock is shameful and reflects badly on the entire family.

What about the shame that you will bring to your parents by keeping the baby? Not meant to be cruel but to have a daughter who give birth out of wedlock is shameful and reflects badly on the entire family.
Tts y I consider my bb and family welfare most tats y I wanted I abort initially but lucky family all supportive ya.

Not meant to be cruel? Such statements are cruel!

I know it is not politically correct not to be supportive. But it is a fact that in our society it is not an accepted practice. This is different from single mothers due to divorce or death of spouse. Who among us can say we are 100% fine telling our daughters when they reach teenhood "never mind. You can be pregnant and mummy is 100% fine with it."? I still firmly believe one should not engage in premarital sex.

For Jer's situation, I am sympathetic. But I think for her to start life afresh, she should put the baby up for adoption.

Last edited:
I know it is not politically correct not to be supportive. But it is a fact that in our society it is not an accepted practice. This is different from single mothers due to divorce or death of spouse. Who among us can say we are 100% fine telling our daughters when they reach teenhood "never mind. You can be pregnant and mummy is 100% fine with it."? I still firmly believe one should not engage in premarital sex.

For Jer's situation, I am sympathetic. But I think for her to start life afresh, she should put the baby up for adoption.
Thanks for ur 'compassion'. Reli appreciated. =) I will take care of my baby together with my bf. Me and my bf are still happily together at the moment that's all it matters now to me. Can't deny me and bf will get married one day or break up or even married and div we can nv noe. No one ask u to agree with my doings or mindset but one thing for sure is that I just Canot bear to kill an innocent. I really tot about it a lot before finalizing with the decision and I have a lot of supports for friends as well. I will not hide from any of my relatives or friends from my choice either. And if u have nothing good to say then don't. We don't need all these unnecessary comments from people like u. Be kind with words and kind will befall to u and ur kids and love ones around u.

Last edited:
Be brave @jerlicious. I'm married but it has been a really tough journey for my partner and I to conceive. After years of fertility treatments, I'm finally pregnant with a girl. Babies are gifts from heaven. Whatever situations you are in, it is only right that they are given the best life opportunities a mother can give. With support, a child in a single family can grow up to be beautiful people too. A marriage doesn't guarantee anything. Don't let mean people get you. These bullies need to get out more.

Thanks for ur 'compassion'. Reli appreciated. =) I will take care of my baby together with my bf. Me and my bf are still happily together at the moment that's all it matters now to me. Can't deny me and bf will get married one day or break up or even married and div we can nv noe. No one ask u to agree with my doings or mindset but one thing for sure is that I just Canot bear to kill an innocent. I really tot about it a lot before finalizing with the decision and I have a lot of supports for friends as well. I will not hide from any of my relatives or friends from my choice either. And if u have nothing good to say then don't. We don't need all these unnecessary comments from people like u. Be kind with words and kind will befall to u and ur kids and love ones around u.

Well said, Jerlicious. Fantastic reply.

Then is it our fault that men dont wanna be responsible? Not all pregnancy came from one night stand. Mine was a long relationship and who knew he decided to sleep around. So you mean to say i should close my eyes and continue to stay by his side and let my child grow up in an environment with his father sleeping around? What if my child follows after his footstep?
Then more poor innocent babies will suffer.

So abortion is the only option ? Trusting this to come out from a woman's mouth. Seriously..
If you are a mom, you dont fit to be a mother and i doubt ur upbringing for ur child.
So one day if ur daughter were to tell u that she is pregnant. Are u going to disown her?

What has happened. And instead of dwelling on the past. Why not learn and move on

Back