TTC with 1 Fallopian tube

Marilyn_58

I have been TTC for a year plus. In 2010, I had to remove my right Fallopian tube and ovary due to cyst. 5mths ago I consult a gyne at TCM and did the necessary checks and blood test and gyne said I was normal and ovulating. Gyne mentioned that due to having 1 side Fallopian tube, the chances of conceiving is half than normal woman and she advice me to try on the 14th and 16th day after menses, but currently at 6th and still seeing red. Gyne said that ovulation kit does not work for me as more to that the gyne also does not believe in using the ovulation kit to test. I have spent a lot on ovulation kits previously and it doesn’t work. My hubs have been pushing away the idea to do a sperm count test and I am stuck cause I don’t want to pressure him into doing so.

I am lost and would like to seek advice for those who have the same problem and maybe share some contacts on any reliable fertility clinic.

Are you open to the idea of trying IUI or IVF instead of conceiving naturally? Coz it will be difficult to conceive with only one open fallopian tube. If you like, I can recommend you to my gyne. His name is Dr Chris Ng and his clinic is at Camden Med. He also provides consultations for IVF so he can also tell you whether you're suitable for the procedure (if it's an option). You might want to consider. Hope this helps!

Are you open to the idea of trying IUI or IVF instead of conceiving naturally? Coz it will be difficult to conceive with only one open fallopian tube. If you like, I can recommend you to my gyne. His name is Dr Chris Ng and his clinic is at Camden Med. He also provides consultations for IVF so he can also tell you whether you're suitable for the procedure (if it's an option). You might want to consider. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice. I am still thinking of IUI & IVF, trying to research more to understand. I will look up on Dr Chris Ng! Thanks

I have been TTC for a year plus. In 2010, I had to remove my right Fallopian tube and ovary due to cyst. 5mths ago I consult a gyne at TCM and did the necessary checks and blood test and gyne said I was normal and ovulating. Gyne mentioned that due to having 1 side Fallopian tube, the chances of conceiving is half than normal woman and she advice me to try on the 14th and 16th day after menses, but currently at 6th and still seeing red. Gyne said that ovulation kit does not work for me as more to that the gyne also does not believe in using the ovulation kit to test. I have spent a lot on ovulation kits previously and it doesn’t work. My hubs have been pushing away the idea to do a sperm count test and I am stuck cause I don’t want to pressure him into doing so.

I am lost and would like to seek advice for those who have the same problem and maybe share some contacts on any reliable fertility clinic.
emoji4.png

Hi, which gynae are you seeing? How long are your cycles and are you charting your BBT? Otherwise how does your gynae know that you are ovulating 14 to 16 days after your menses?

Which ovulation kit are you using? Ovulation kits may not work for people with PCOS but it seems like you don't have PCOS so it should work.

Try to convince your husband to do the semen analysis. You did your part with the blood tests, now it's his turn. At least it will rule out any problems on his end.

Hi, which gynae are you seeing? How long are your cycles and are you charting your BBT? Otherwise how does your gynae know that you are ovulating 14 to 16 days after your menses?

Which ovulation kit are you using? Ovulation kits may not work for people with PCOS but it seems like you don't have PCOS so it should work.

Try to convince your husband to do the semen analysis. You did your part with the blood tests, now it's his turn. At least it will rule out any problems on his end.

I’m seeing Dr Crystal Chin at Hafcare OG at TMC. My average cycle is 29days. I dun chart my BBT. My gyne based on my cycle to determine that I should try on the 14 & 16 day.

I used the Clearblue ovulation kit for 6mths but nothing happened and progressively it was quite stressful. After tt I consulted Dr Crystal and she suggested the 14 & 16 day.

How does BBT work? Can share with me?

I’m seeing Dr Crystal Chin at Hafcare OG at TMC. My average cycle is 29days. I dun chart my BBT. My gyne based on my cycle to determine that I should try on the 14 & 16 day.

I used the Clearblue ovulation kit for 6mths but nothing happened and progressively it was quite stressful. After tt I consulted Dr Crystal and she suggested the 14 & 16 day.

How does BBT work? Can share with me?

Because you don't chart BBT, so you don't know how long is your luteal phase. The menstrual cycle is divided into 2 phases, follicular phase before ovulation, and luteal phase after ovulation. Follicular phase tends to vary from cycle to cycle, which is why not every cycle has same number of days, but luteal phase is mostly constant.

So example if your luteal phase is 14 days, count backwards from a 29 day cycle and you ovulate on day 15. A normal luteal phase can range from 10 to 16 days, which would put your ovulation at day 13 to day 19. If it's day 13, and you only have sex at day 14, your chances are almost zero because the egg only lives for 12 to 24 hours. If it's day 19, you will hit O-3 days and stand quite a good chance still.

Then also there's the possibility of short luteal phase. You could have regular cycles with regular ovulation but a short luteal phase less than 10 days. The embryo needs time to be implanted into the uterine lining and if your luteal phase is too short, your period will start before it can implant.

Tracking your BBT is one step in helping to determine the date that you ovulated in your cycle, and to help calculate your luteal phase. After ovulation, your body temperature will rise and you will observe higher temps compared to your follicular phase temps. You can read more from the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, or reading the Fertility Friend website lessons. Basically, you measure your temperature first thing when you wake up in the morning before you start any activities, and plot them on the chart to see the trend. I'm using Fertility Friend and Kindara app to plot my temps.

When you say you used the ovulation kit, what do you mean by "nothing happened"? Are you using the digital ones with the smiley face or the ones with the lines? Which day did you start testing? Were you able to see a progression, from non peak to peak?

Because you don't chart BBT, so you don't know how long is your luteal phase. The menstrual cycle is divided into 2 phases, follicular phase before ovulation, and luteal phase after ovulation. Follicular phase tends to vary from cycle to cycle, which is why not every cycle has same number of days, but luteal phase is mostly constant.

So example if your luteal phase is 14 days, count backwards from a 29 day cycle and you ovulate on day 15. A normal luteal phase can range from 10 to 16 days, which would put your ovulation at day 13 to day 19. If it's day 13, and you only have sex at day 14, your chances are almost zero because the egg only lives for 12 to 24 hours. If it's day 19, you will hit O-3 days and stand quite a good chance still.

Then also there's the possibility of short luteal phase. You could have regular cycles with regular ovulation but a short luteal phase less than 10 days. The embryo needs time to be implanted into the uterine lining and if your luteal phase is too short, your period will start before it can implant.

Tracking your BBT is one step in helping to determine the date that you ovulated in your cycle, and to help calculate your luteal phase. After ovulation, your body temperature will rise and you will observe higher temps compared to your follicular phase temps. You can read more from the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, or reading the Fertility Friend website lessons. Basically, you measure your temperature first thing when you wake up in the morning before you start any activities, and plot them on the chart to see the trend. I'm using Fertility Friend and Kindara app to plot my temps.

When you say you used the ovulation kit, what do you mean by "nothing happened"? Are you using the digital ones with the smiley face or the ones with the lines? Which day did you start testing? Were you able to see a progression, from non peak to peak?

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Will surely read up and download the app. But first can I use normal thermometer?

I’m using the digital one with smiley face. I start test on day 10-day 16. “Nothing happen” means no baby..

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Will surely read up and download the app. But first can I use normal thermometer?

I’m using the digital one with smiley face. I start test on day 10-day 16. “Nothing happen” means no baby..

I used normal digital thermometer to 0.1 degree accuracy. Temperature taken orally. I find that it's good enough for me because my temp shift is obvious. There's also special BBT thermometer available at pharmacy, accurate to 0.01 degree. Not so expensive but I find it's not really necessary. You can explore to see what suits your needs. :)

Are you using clearblue digital or advanced digital? Which are the days of your smiley face? And I assume you're trying on all the days you get the smiley face?

Hope you don't mind I ask so many questions. I'm just trying to help see if you can time your TTC better. It is possible to conceive with 1 fallopian tube, I know people who did it with one try naturally. I myself have got one blocked tube, I only conceived after trying for a year.

I used normal digital thermometer to 0.1 degree accuracy. Temperature taken orally. I find that it's good enough for me because my temp shift is obvious. There's also special BBT thermometer available at pharmacy, accurate to 0.01 degree. Not so expensive but I find it's not really necessary. You can explore to see what suits your needs. :)

Are you using clearblue digital or advanced digital? Which are the days of your smiley face? And I assume you're trying on all the days you get the smiley face?

Hope you don't mind I ask so many questions. I'm just trying to help see if you can time your TTC better. It is possible to conceive with 1 fallopian tube, I know people who did it with one try naturally. I myself have got one blocked tube, I only conceived after trying for a year.

Oh.. normal thermometer is possible? I keep thinking I must get those basal thermometer. I shall give normal thermometer a try. Should I be taking my temp even when having menses?

Oh.. normal thermometer is possible? I keep thinking I must get those basal thermometer. I shall give normal thermometer a try. Should I be taking my temp even when having menses?

Yup, normal digital thermometer with accuracy to 0.1 deg is fine. You try a few cycles first, if you can't see a pattern, you may need to get a basal thermometer with accuracy up to 0.01 deg. It shouldn't be too expensive, around $20+ from pharmacy.

Not necesary to take temp during menses. I used to skip weekends too cos I will sleep in. Taking temps at different wake times will affect your reading. You can read up more from Fertility Friend website.

Yup, normal digital thermometer with accuracy to 0.1 deg is fine. You try a few cycles first, if you can't see a pattern, you may need to get a basal thermometer with accuracy up to 0.01 deg. It shouldn't be too expensive, around $20+ from pharmacy.

Not necesary to take temp during menses. I used to skip weekends too cos I will sleep in. Taking temps at different wake times will affect your reading. You can read up more from Fertility Friend website.

Thanks for the advise. I am now charting my temp. I read from some other post that cervical mucus can ovulation prediction. So I am charting these 2 in the meantime.

Back