PHONICS

kspl,
Phonics is a system that teaches the child to read english. The child learns the sounds of the 26 alphabets and the technique of blending them together to make sounds. If taught properly and given enough practice, a very young child can learn to read very quickly with this system. They don't have to memorize the spelling of every word in order to read. You can give them any new words, they can figure out how to read the word.

For example, my girl went to Montessori phonics, now after 11 months, she can read children's books, more than 60 pages, entirely on her own, she is now 4 years 6 months old. I have heard of other children who started earlier, able to read on their own at 3 years old or even earlier. My girl can also figure out how to spell a word, simply by listening to the word.

Phonics is definitely recommended for all children.

hi tamarind,

thanks for sharing, I have looking at phonics on my own at home, dd has no patience to do the sounding together, am thinking of sending her for some formal phonics class, may I know if u would recommend ur girl's school to me?

many thanks

harriet

Harriet,
How old is your girl ?

Phonics classes for kids below 3 years, only teach the sounds of each alphabet. It's best to teach the kids at home, not necessary to send to classes.

My girl goes to MMI phonics class beside Lakeside MRT station. That class only accepts 3 years 6 months and above. They only take 4 weeks to teach the alphabet sounds, then go straight into blending. After 3 - 4 months, the child will be reading simple sentences. By the end of the course, total 11 months, the child will know how to read complex words like those starting with str, squ, wr, kn, etc or those ending with ce, ge, tion, ture etc. Since it is only 1 hour a week, parents are expected to revise with the child at home. The teacher will tell the parents how to go about teaching the child.

You can also consider Zoophonics. For 4 years old, they will take about 10 months to teach the sound of every letter, then go into blending. Their syllabus is a lot slower than Montessori phonics. But I guess the child will have more practice in class, and the parents don't have to revise much with them at home.

thanks tamarind... your explanation very clear and simple.. roughly know what is it ..... seems very good for bb hor....

but then what is the diff for kids who attend and dun attend phonics lessons?? cos i believe in school teachers teach on some also rite..

hi tamarind,

thanks for the info, lakeside is the perfect place, cos my parents stay around there and I am there almost everyday. but where is MMI phonics? I haven't seen it!! my girl is 4yr so am thinking I may send her there for a start cos when i try to teach at home, she would insist I read to her instead of sounding the words out to her
sad.gif

harriet

kspl,
Remember how we used to learn english when we were young ? Need to memorize the spelling right ? It takes a child a longer time to learn how to read if he/she is not taught phonics. Phonics just makes it a lot easier. A child can read a word even though he/she has not seen it before.

harriet,
The MMI is at Blk 519, beside the condo
happy.gif

I also find it difficult to teach my girl on my own, she learns so much better when attending a class. Just remember that you need to practice with her regularly to keep up with the class.

haha.. 1st time MTB.. a lot of these jargons like phonics lar, letterland lar, etc.. really very alien to me... thanks tamarind for the explanation.... hmm.. think nowadays parents want their kids to start learning earlier then when they enter school they already know what the teacher is talking about... rather then just starting to learn in school bah....

maybe is a good idea to learn phonics afterall... hmm.. think must get some info on these...

Nowadays kids need to know how to read and write before they enter primary 1. So it is no longer possible to only start to learn in school. Sigh...

hi all

anyone have any comments on the 'i can read'? my dd used to go zoo phonics but she will be going to nursery so am thinking whether to enrol her in one of phonics school.

thanks.

ani 1 here has feedback/contactfor Mrs Sharon Lim in Jurong West? My ex-colleagues' kids were with her and they managed to learn how to read in 6 months! they were all praise for her but i have lost her ctc no. my colleague has changed no. can somehere pls pm me her ctc if you have her ctc no? TIA

babytrooper,
It depends on which PAP kindergarten/nursery you go to.

My girl will be starting at PCF(PAP) at 662B Jurong West next year. Just attended the orientation yesterday. At K1 they will have spelling, writing short composition, poetry, and cooking lessons every week. Chinese lesson for 1 hour everyday. The class is 4 hours everyday. That is teaching a lot for me.

Even her nursery class at 665B, although it cost only $55, is very good. They teach letters and numbers, both phonics, reading and writing, and many interesting activities, like ice cream making. Even if you spend over $1000 to put your child in the branded schools, they teach the same thing.

But there are many PCF(PAP) centres, and every one is different. So you have to choose carefully.

Any one has comments on "I Can Read". Thinking of enrolling my gal next year there because of the convenience of location. But, if its no good, then I will consider otherwise.

Hi babytrooper,

It all depends on what you are looking for. There's certainly some differences between the different nursery/kindergarten. I saw for myself a $500/mth and a $800/mth kindy. And frankly, the differences are HUGE for me. If cost is not a consideration, I would definitely prefer a high end branded school.

As to whether the preschool teaches enough, I feel that as long as the kid needs to attend extra enrichment classes outside the school curriculum, it shows that the school is not teaching enough.

Frankly, I cannot afford to send my kids to even $500/mth kindergarten. I believe there are many mommies like me too.

I spent total about $250/mth for my girl's PCF nursery, montessori phonics and berries chinese. I am more than happy with her development. At 4 years old, she can read Dr Seuss and any other children's books. She can also read many chinese characters and use a number of "cheng yu". I don't believe any single nursery school out there, branded or not, can teach a 4 year old girl so much.

I think it is more worth it for parents to send kids to enrichment classes which suit the child's ability.

The differences I meant do not refer to academic. There are various teaching styles. I can't comment if one is better than another. A preschool that covers less academic stuff does not necessary mean it is no good. Similary, a preschool that believes in drilling will not necessary produce smarter students too. I believe all preschools will follow the curriculum laid down by MOE and teach accordingly. Whether the school is covering enough, it depends how advanced the parents want their kids to be.

Rather, the differences lie in the environment settings (space, toys, stationery etc), books selection, teachers (age, ratio etc), the level of care and concern, discipline, etc. Also, I'm very stringent about spoken English. These are my considerations when choosing a preschool.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to send my kids to the higher end preschools too, given my SAHM status.

As for enrichment classes, I guess it really depends on individuals' needs. I know of some parents who do not believe in enrichment classes and yet, their kids are able to read, do math etc at very young age too.

Sometimes I really wonder if there is a need to send preschoolers to schools in the mornings and then other academic enrichment classes in the afternoon. My son is only attending gym, music and chinese classes. And I'm already feeling tired for him. But perhaps, that's the Singaporean way.

Serenade,
I agree with you about the environment settings. But I am satisfied with my girl's teachers, and the discipline too. There are 20+ kids in the class, but they are all under control. Of course many mommies prefer smaller class, but I have heard of a small class of only 7 kids, but the teacher still cannot control the kids.

I believe there are cheap pre-schools out there which are very good too. Of course in terms of environment, most of the time they cannot compare with the better schools. But the teachers, programme and discipline can be as good as any other school.

My girl only goes to chinese enrichment once a week on thursday, and english enrichment once a week on saturday. She does not feel pressurized at all. But I have heard of other kids going for many more enrichment classes, I wonder if the kids really enjoy them. I know some kids will just switch off and don't learn anything at all.

babytrooper

dd1's PAP teach a lot. everyday there is classwork & homework. But teaching a lot doesn't mean teaching correctly. Heard from my girl her classmates didn't do very well in year end exam

Hi Tamarind,
The most important thing is that the parents themselves find the environment settings etc agreeable and is comfortable with what the school is offering. When I first started searching for preschools, I relied heavily on others comments, only to find out the school wasn't offering what I think is suitable for my son. It's good that you like what your gal's school is offering.

I'm not sure if we can speak for our kids on whether they feel pressurized by the enrichment classes. I used to think my son enjoyed attending extra classes. He used to rush for his music classes after his preschool (pm). Often, he would fall asleep during the drive there. However, he refused to withdraw from the class when I brought it up. I could say he enjoyed it, though I felt it's not to his benefit in the long run. But then, I might belong to the group of parents who's overly sensitive, haha...

Serenade,
Yes you are right that the most important thing is that the parents like the environment,teachers etc.

I find that sometimes parents tend to generalize, like all $1000+ above kindy are definitely good, all $100+ below are definitely bad. Like most parents think that PCF are for lower class families and therefore all PCF kindy are bad. This is definitely not true. Some PCF kindy/nursery are really value for money.

As for enrichment classes, it really depends on the child. My girl used to go for 2 classes last year, when I said I wanted to stop one of her class, she protested strongly. But as parents we need to be carefully not to overload the child.

Serenade, Tamarind

my girl is like that too, refused to withdraw even though I feel that she's tired. I stopped her lessons anyway

my view is as long as the child is happy & making new friends easily in the kindergarten, then it is good for her.

However, I doubt one kindergarten is sufficient to prepare the child for P1. Enrichment classes are good supplements

hippo2002,
I think kindergarten only teach the child the very basic that is needed. If the parents want the child to be very well prepared for P1, then we either need to send to enrichment classes, or we have teach them at home.

Hi tamarind,
It's just human nature to think that the more expensive the preschool is, the better it is. Especially if it's within their power to do so. Different parents would look for different things. But of course, it's definitely not true that all expensive preschools would provide quality care, and vice versa. Frankly speaking, I did consider PCF too. As a friend pointed out, PCF provides a learning environment closer to primary school's than most other private kindergartens. However, I don't think I can accept the English standard of most PCF teachers.

Hi tamarind, hippo2002,
After some observations, I realise it doesn't matter if the kid is attending 1 or 8 extra classes outside the normal curriculum. They usually don't want to quit if asked. The mother of a P1 girl shared with me her girl's weekly activities - gym 2 nights, piano, kumon for math, (think) Berries for chinese, swimming and English tuition. The mother said her girl enjoyed the activities and didn't want to withdraw any. Apparently the girl is coping well. She scored full marks in Math in the year end exam. Perhaps, the new generation of kids simply enjoy the extra classes?

On enrichment classes, I vaguely recalled there was a debate on the necessity of enrichment some time ago - something along the line "Is enrichment a luxury or a necessity". There were some interesting articles. Guess different pple feel differently about this topic. But is being academically well prepared for primary one necessary good? Well, a friend with 2 GEP kids seems to think otherwise. I'm still trying to digest what she has shared with me...

Serenade,
I am satisfied with the english standard of the teachers at my kids' PCF kindergarten. As I said, there are many PCF centres out there, every one is different.

My boy used to attend Zoophonics, considered a "premium" school, charging high fees, but I was very unhappy with his teacher.

As for kids who like to go to many enrichment classes, I think it's because they just want a chance to go outside and stay away from their mommies :p These kids probably don't have much chance to go out other than going to their enrichment classes.

I think if the parents are able to teach the child at home, then it is not necessary to send to enrichment class. But like my girl, she learns better in a classroom environment, compared to being taught at home by me, so it is better to send her to class. My boy only day dream in class, so I think it is better to teach him at home. But most FTWM will not have the time to teach their kids at home.

I think your friend with 2 GEP kids must have kids who are born very smart. Such kids certainly don't need any classes at all. Like my brother, my parents don't know a word of english, and can only afford to send him to PAP kindergarten. He went on to become the top singapore student in the university of cambridge in the year he graduated.

But for the majority of other average kids, a little help, whether it is from parents or enrichment class, will be necessary.

Hi Tamarind,
Yup, different pple have different expectations of preschools, which explains the vast differences in school fees and willingness to pay for the premiums. I have no experience with most enrichment classes except for Berriesworld and Julia Gabriel. But I would not consider recommending JG to friends.

On enrichment classes, one friend shared that it's better to leave the teaching to the enrichment centres. At least the relationship between daughter and mother won't turn sour. Guess there's so truth in it too. Sometimes, it's not that easy to teach one's own kids.

Not so sure about my friend's kids being born extremely smart. But she's a very concerned mother. She pushed them real hard since young. Unfortunately, the way they turned out now made her wish she had brought up her kids differently. She is now far more relaxed with her youngest kid. I seems to surrounded by a number of smart kids. However, besides brains, I find that they have the right attitude and discipline towards schooling. That probably accounts more for their success academically than anything else.

Whether the kid is attending enrichment classes or not, teaching/help/monitoring from parents is definitely still required, especially when they are still preschoolers. Similarly, no matter how smart the kids are, parental involvement and guidance is still very important.

Serenade,
I totally agree with you that parents must monitor the kids. My colleague spent more than $2000 on kindergarten/enrichment classes on his daughter, but he is unhappy with her development. The girl is taken care by a filipino maid, and spends very little time with her parents.

I am curious to know how your friend's kids turn out ?

Actually besides knowing maths,english,chinese, there are other things which are more important. Like does the kid know how to make telephone calls, can she remember her home address, can she figure out how to go home, can she tell time, can she wear her own clothes, etc. These skills are so much more important. I will be much more impressed by a child who can do all these at 2 or 3 years old.

Hi tamarind,
Sad to hear about your colleague's girl. I hope you have knocked some sense into your colleague.

I don't think it's good for me to share about my friend's kids (they are both in GEP sec schools now) in the public forum. But she cautioned me about preparing the kids too much. When the kids go to school too well prepared, they tend to feel bored and would switch off during lessons. In the long run, they may grow to disrespect teachers and stop to learn altogether. To her, it's far better to let the kids go to school and learn from teachers. At least that will keep their learning spirit going. This is what she is practising with her youngest kid now. She stopped teaching him altogether and left the teaching to teachers. But she still monitors him as in that he doesn't spend his time away watching TV or playing games.

Yes, life skills is one area most parents deem not as important as academic skills. But with our good and hurried lifestyle in Singapore, it's a bit more difficult to "train" our kids in this area. At least that is how I see it. When I was in France, the pace was much slower and my son got the opportunity to do what you mentioned above. He was already dressing himself before 2.5 yo, putting on his shoes himself at even an earlier age. Unfortunately, my girl didn't get the opportunity over here. We seem to be always in such a hurry. A singaporean mother in Canada even trained her 2 or 3 yo son to help out with housework and baking. Now I'm also trying to change my mindset that it's more mess with the kids' help. We are hoping to survive through without live-in help, so the kids will have to help out with the housework. For life skills, I feel that trust and patience is the most important thing that most of us, or rather I, am lacking in.

Hi,

I am a Phonics Teacher with 5 years teaching experience.

I am from Australia and living in Singapore for work.
I am a part-time Pre-School Teacher.

Looking to teach children 3-8 years old.

Materials used: Hooked on phonics.

Do contact me for more details and charges: [email protected] or 98777295 (sms pls as i work)

Thanks!!! :D

Hi all,

I am an editor with more than 10 years of experience and I have an excellent command of English. I am now offering phonics classes to toddlers three years old and above. Class size will be small - limited to four per class - because I believe the teacher-to-child ratio is important.

The reason for starting this class is because I was sorely disappointed by the few phonics classes that we attended. Unfriendly teachers with a poor command of English, a large class size and a poor academic outcome. Although we had paid for the term, I gave up the other classes when I heard the teacher say "green colour pencil" instead of "green pencil". She was doing more harm than good.

By the way, do you know that things can't spoil? You can only use "spoilt" to describe food and children.

I have edited numerous regional publications and newspaper articles, including those by native speakers. My child knew her phonics before three and now she's learning blends, the silent "e" rule, etc. She's not yet four and she's read so many books that I have lost count. Unfortunately, I was a full-time working mom before I stopped full-time work and now, I am finding it hard to correct the Singlish she picked up from everywhere. It is much easier to learn it right the first time.

I am now a part-time working mom. Classes are available on weekday afternoons and they will be conducted at my home. We will use a curriculum from the US and because it is home-based, your child will be exposed to real day-to-day items to expand her vocabulary. For example, she will smell a whiff of perfume when we learn the word "whiff" for the "wh" blend.

Please feel free to send me a private message or email me at [email protected].

Best regards,

<font color="aa00aa">I am pleasantly surprised that when I google for the word "phonics", this thread comes up within the top 5 results !</font>

It is definitely possible to teach phonics at home, without the need to attend expensive enrichment classes, or spending money on expensive phonics materials.

I single handedly taught my son phonics at home. He can read long English novels by 5 years old.

Here is a guide :

One to two years old :
http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2009/10/first-step-teaching-b-c.html
It is very important for the child to know all the 26 phonics letter sounds very well. Do not rush the child, give him enough time to learn.

At the same time, develop a love of books :
http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2009/09/wonderful-books-for-kids-from-birth-to.html

Three to Four years old :
The child can start to learn phonics :
http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-teach-phonics.html

When the child knows how to join 3 letters to form a word, you must start teaching sight words using the Key Words (Peter and Jane) series :
http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2008/12/key-words-with-ladybird.html

Five to Six years old :
Both my kids completed the Peter and Jane book 11 and 12 before they turned 5 years old. By then they are able to read long English novels. The child must continue to read out loud everyday, even after completing the Peter and Jane series. It is important that parents continue to choose good books that interest the kids :

http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2009/09/books-they-love.html

http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2010/03/picture-books-from-my-home-library.html

http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2010/03/importance-of-reading-books.html

Hi Mummies,

Not sure if this thread is still alive!
I need some help/suggestion to help my boy.
He is able to read on his own since 2 year 4 months coz he has fanastic memory. He can remember and spell words that he've seen or taught to read before. He can read P&amp;J bk 3 on his own.
Now that he's 3 years and 2 month. He has been refusing to read even when im beside him for few month already. since then he has drop the reading habit. whenever i ask him to read, he will say, i dunno how to read, mummy read!

Anybody has similar experience? can share, how do i get him to read on his own since he's able to read.
Also, is it necessary to let him learn phonics?If yes, how old? actually his pronounciation is still not so accurate.
Is phonics in MOE syllabus?

Thanks!

I started my child on phonics lessons with one of the well known phonic school when he was about 2.5 years old. I had been reading to him every night since he's about 18 mths old but I saw a need to get professional help (enrichment classes) since I didn't know phonics, didn't think I had the patience to teach my child and didn't have a good command of English. Back then, I thought knowing phonics was THE way. Now I know better.

My child still attends phonics lessons but i play an active role in reinforcing what has been taught and come up with 'lesson plans' to complement his learning. My child now knows he can also learn at Mummy's school. I am no expert and still don't know all the phonic rules but I am learning and along the way, my child has benefitted from my participation.

I believe to a large extent, parental support can speed up/improve a child's learning.

Hi, would like to share how I managed to self taught my 3yo boy from alphabet name to 26 sounds till completed advanced phonics like aw, er, ir, are, air, -ge, -ture, all within 7 months.
I started teaching after i chanced upon tarmarind's phonics blog, I used leapfrog letter factory followed with flashcards in the learning pack for games and practise. Then I printed out tamarind's short vowels cards to "play" with my boy, he got the technique for blending the 3 letter sounds. We got difficulty moving on to blending and digraphs like ch, sh, wh, ph, long vowels and silent -e rules, so I used "letterland beyond ABC" and "letterland far beyond ABC", he simply loves the lively characters! And i can get the accurate sounds with the letterland CDs which come with the books. So my boy competed all the advanced parts with letterlands in just 2 months time. But this is not enough, I got the whole set of scholastic Clifford phonics packs 1-6 for him to practise 1 book per day, it covers many sounds which are not taught in letterland or jolly phonics. I also downloaded some free books from progressivephonics for sounds that are more advance readings. Almost forgotten abt the Phonics readers and activity packs from Pelangi published by Newton, the activities books are fun and my boy is willing to do all 4 books. Hope my reccomedations help .

Btw, Dr Seuss's Hop On Pop is very good for phonics too. It has sounds like pup/cup (-up), house/mouse (ou), all/tall/fall/wall/ball (-all), night/fight (-igh), play/day (-ay) and so on. And playing games and reading the ebooks from starfall is definitely helping a lot.

Hi choco cat,

I am familiar with most of the materials that you have mentioned. They are good stuff and use them as complementary learning for my child.

Phonics is definitely a "must learn" to be but I also place strong emphasis on comprehension and sight words. While my child is unable to read chapter books like charlotte's web, he is able to catch the humor and empathize with the sadness. He is also able to draw lesson points learnt in books and apply them to his life (eg help friends in need becos he would appreciate someone's help too, if he is in the same position). This, I think is even more impt.

Hi Samantha,
I agree that learning sight words and comprehension are equally important. We have started with scholastic sight word readers and moved on to ladybird Peter &amp; Jane series. Meanwhile try to read and discuss stories.
Do you have any suggestion on how to teach sight word and comprehension? My now 3y10m old boy still not good at comprehension.

Hi choco cat,

Your child is a 2007 or 2008 kid? Mine is 2008 feb and I think our kid's age quite close.

I think playing games like matching/fishing, memory, snap games can help to speed up the learning of sight words. Structured readers too, are good but my child is not keen in readers. Understandably so, cos readers got 'no story line'. At this stage, my child wants 'plot'. Readers usually are very simple story line, if any to talk about.

Another way to learn sight words - give the child a big page of prints eg a page of straits time and a flash card with a sit word. Get him to find at least ten or twenty same sight word from the newspaper by using a pen to circling the.word. This method kills many birds with one stone - learn sight word, path the way for the future to cultivate the interest in reading newspaper, pencil skills.

Talking to your child helps. Since infant days, we have been talking to our child a lot. He listened to our conversations and get a chance to ask qn (fairly so since adults' conversations are too cheem).

I started reading to him every night since he's 1.5yrs old. Not early actually since one would probably have read about how we shd read to them since birth. Initially we started with all sorts of baby books, covering 8 to 10 books at one go. As we go, the number of books reduced becos the books are getting thicker. Now, he reads 2-3 books each night on his own (32-40pages, each pages about 20-35 words) and I listen on. Then I would read him stuff from chapter books like Enid blyton, the magic tree house series and Julia Donaldson's books. you would know if he's listening or ifhe understands when he asks qn, laugh at the plot or weep at the misfortune of the characters.

We would do review and reflection after I have done my reading. That's when I get another cue on his understanding.

Hi Samantha,

My child is 2008 Jan, our kids' age really close.

I'm so glad to see your sharing, have been thinking how to progress further in reading as I find my boy's reading is not fluent enough although he can pronounce big words. It's kind of killing the mood of reading when he has to stop and pronounce word by word.

I used to teach him vocab with flash cards and a "first 1000 words" book since he was a baby but somehow I stopped ard 2yo when he entered playgroup. I thought I could leave all the teaching to the teacher there until the day I looked for a new pre-nursery school for him when he's 3yo then I realised he's a lot lagging! It's like a hard slam on me when I realised he didn't know the alphabets and numbers at all. So we actually started very late, at 3y3m old I then start teaching him letters A-Z! I feel really guilty abt relying on teacher and we have to do so much catch up now.

Although we are halfway through Peter and Jane keyword series, I find the learning pace quite slow at 2 words/day as there are over 100 words per page. Over the last 2 months, I started to play word card games with him to help him remember more vocabs in order to read fluently. So far this method is working well on him but I just don't know how to progress further.

I like your ideas of circling sight words on newspaper and about reading chapter books like Enid Blyton to the child! I tried to let my boy read 3 books of about the same length that your child is reading, I find it quite exhausting and we have to read another Chinese book then. After finishing all 4 books, my son asked me to let him sleep. I'm going to get a chapter book soon and read to him then. I'm so enlightened now, hope I can help him progress to books with longer story line and even chapter books some days later. Thank you so much for your ideas
happy.gif

And tonight I tried to ask him more questions on the stories he read, although he couldn't tell me all the details correctly, at least he's able to tell who's the good and bad guys haha.

Glad to share my ideas and the path that I have walked . I think, in all aspect, parents should not leave the child’s development totally in the hands of another person. My belief applies to even professionals. Despite not being a doctor/educator/any other professional, I take pride to find out more and try to participate without being a hinder. Preschool education is very important. If anything, this is probably the most important phase of a parent’s active and close participation because the child is not able to make sound decision at this point. But it’s not too late now 

To be honest, I signed my child up for phonics lessons because of his keen interest in prints (not just books, but anything with words), not because it’s ‘the norm for kids to go for phonics lessons’. He would pick up any book/flyer/brochure, study it intensely and then asked an adult about it. Because of this, I naively signed him up for phonics lessons, thinking that mastering phonics = being able to read. Because I am not professional and don’t subscribe to the recommended way of teaching my kid to read, my kid didn’t really pick up literacy very fast. He enjoys being read to, holding the book, flipping the pages, studying the pictures etc. It’s really ironic – he is illiterate but he enjoys reading hahaha. Give him a new toy or new book, there is a fair chance that he would take the book (I think most kids would take toys).

Perhaps because of me participating along in the way he likes, his interest in reading/books grows. Had I tried to push down the way most professionals have recommended, I did not think my child would be at what he can (in terms of literacy) today. Professionals recommended structured reading materials like readers, flash cards, even a certain ‘pattern’ in teaching phonics. I read up, study them, buy them, use them but never force them onto my kid in order not to kill his healthy appetite in reading. I want to believe that interest is more important than aptitude and talent. My two cents worth – let your child take the lead. If he wants to read 2 books tonight, 2 books that’s it. If he doesn’t want to do comprehension, no comprehension that’s it. if he’s asking to sleep, then 4 books is a bit too much for him. Reading should be an enjoyment, not a task.
happy.gif

Oh if you let my son takes the lead, he would play all day all night. He's one who could forgo his milk and food, just to stay on playing till his battery is drained :p he's one who needs me to fix a time table and tells him what books I want him to read. I would say I'm lucky, at least my boy does listen to mummy's agenda
happy.gif
but certainly I do look at how long he can stay focus and try to stop at the excited moment so as to keep the spirit up.

It's always nice listening to different opinions on grooming children, so I can learn and improve my teaching style too. Eversince the disapointment from his 1yr playgroup (which taught him letterland phonics but he didn't learn anything), I know mummy is always the best teacher for one's child. Nobody could understand our child's learning style, strength and weakness better than us.

However I'm not professional educator too, so I buy into structured teaching materials like Kumon, and graded readers. I used to "reward" him with one Clifford phonics reader when he finishes 1-3 pages of P&amp;J. He loves Clifford the red dog so much that he doesn't realize it's a reader for practise and he actually has a habit of asking me for P&amp;J and Clifford everynight before he sleeps.

I would say each child has his own character and thus different learning styles. As long as he's doing it willingly is fine, I never force if he's tired of something. I got fren who object me so much about teaching my boy to read now?! She's someone who buy into talking pen and let her child learn through play. Well, I just think that method may suit her child, while I know my boy very well that he won't learn much with a pen though. And maybe I just have too much passion to teach my boy on my own haha :p

"...until his battery is drained..." - Oh, my kid has not been exposed to any digital toys except my ipad which he has limited access to. Recently, there was an article on ST in which an expert pointed out how after being exposed to digital toys, kids are less likely to enjoy books.

But I didnt keep my child from such gadgets so that he will like books. My intention was to preserve his perfect eye sight for as long as possible. He got acquianted with my ipad because I was coughing very badly for close to a week. In order to 'get someone to read to him', I downloaded some e-books which have the 'read to me' function to keep the daily ritual going. After I have recovered, he only has one or two cartoons/e-books on my ipad as a treat.

No one teaching method will fit all children. Most 'hands on' parents will know what is the best method to adopt.

Oops pardon me, the "battery" refers to my boys' energy
happy.gif
same here, no digital toy except iPad to calm him while I take care of the newborn didi. And i let him access starfalls ebooks and games on my laptop sometimes when he's bored.

Wanna ask for advice. Which chapter book title or series do you recommend me start reading to my boy?

oic.... hahahah ok.

I dont have any advice for chapter book as I dont think I have seen enough. But I am most happy to share about the chapter books I have read to my child.

Basically, I just go along with his interest. He enjoys 'adventure' sort of books. So Enid Blyton's Wishing chair series is his cup of tea. One thing to note though, as the children are very young, their vocab bank is limited. You would have to prepare them for what is coming. e.g. this book mentioned unicorn, precious stones e.g. ruby, flying carpet. Do make sure the child understand and can visualise all these before reading. Otherwise, the reading will end up being a fragmented session: your reading will be interrupted becos the child could not follow.

Back