Perianal abscess in 6 mth old baby - surgery?

Wanted to ask the mummies here if they have heard of or experienced any friends whose LO need to go for a minor surgery to remove the abscess at the anal region? My 6 month old son has abscess at his anal region and was 2 types of antibiotics for 2 weeks. It receded but rebounded hence was referred by my pd to a children surgeon . The latter recommended that my son to go thru the surgery under general anesthesia. Sighhh.. I am afraid that general anesthesia at this young age will do more harm to the little growing brain. Would appreciate advice from the mummies .

Which surgeon were you referred to? Speak to the surgeon regarding your concerns. The anesthesiologist should be someone that is experience in dealing with small babies - the GA is given based on weight of the patient. The good thing about private practice or private patient is that you get to choose the surgeon and anesthesiologist. Some procedures are pretty straight forward to the surgeons. Babies also tend to recover very fast. Antibiotics tends to kill all sorts of bacteria, good and bad altogether. So, taking yet another antibiotic on the one hand might not fix the problem, and on the other hand might give other side effects (caused by lack of good bacteria). Discuss with the doctor, or seek a second opinion.

Thank you so much for your reply. Am at a quandary whether to go ahead with the surgery. The surgeon that I was referred to was Dr Chui Chan hon from mount Elizabeth. He assured that very little amount of GA will be used hence will not be have any adverse effects per se especially that that will affect his future learning ability . However I am just worried for such a young baby to go through surgery . I intend to go back to my pd to ask him again on what's the alternative other than surgery.

honeybearz, u might also want to check with the dr on recurring abscess i.e. i read that it might come back after surgical removal.

Back