Oscar or Harmony Test?

chewysoh

Hi Mummies,

I am 24 and expecting baby no.2
Went for check up today and gynae introduced me to harmony Test. He said I can choose between Oscar or harmony the next time round.

Do you think it is necessary for a harmony test? What did you opt for?

TIA

Ya, OSCAR should be "sufficient" for you. Have you gone for the 12 week NT scan? If that shows normal, OSCAR would be good enough

Hello Chewysoh~

I was 26 when I did the harmony test last October.

My gynae did not specifically recommend either of them he just had me informed of the choices I have. Gave me brochure of both and we made the decision to do Harmony Test because we feel that since we are spending the money already might as well go all out to do the more specific test.

I did my homework and looked into both tests, seems like OSCAR is less accurate then Harmony. Say, *touchwood* if your OSCAR result turns out to not be so positive, you'll spend money again to conduct further tests or scans to buy yourself some assurance. So I would think if financially it allows, just go for the Harmony Test or don't do both since you are really young! Plus, you'll confirm the gender of your baby with your Harmony test results! Hehe, small perks! :p

Though, the price difference is huge, I did my Harmony Test at $850 (before gst) and got my results after only 7 days! Think OSCAR is only three / four hundred bucks?

My two cents worth :)

Last edited:
Ya, OSCAR should be "sufficient" for you. Have you gone for the 12 week NT scan? If that shows normal, OSCAR would be good enough

Hello Mummy, I'm 9 weeks pregnant only. And he ask me to decide by next appointment if I want to do harmony or Oscar. And I'm not sure if he is going to do the NT test for me on the next visit? Is is compulsory? What is the scan for?

Hello Chewysoh~

I was 26 when I did the harmony test last October.

My gynae did not specifically recommend either of them he just had me informed of the choices I have. Gave me brochure of both and we made the decision to do Harmony Test because we feel that since we are spending the money already might as well go all out to do the more specific test.

I did my homework and looked into both tests, seems like OSCAR is less accurate then Harmony. Say, *touchwood* if your OSCAR result turns out to not be so positive, you'll spend money again to conduct further tests or scans to buy yourself some assurance. So I would think if financially it allows, just go for the Harmony Test or don't do both since you are really young! Plus, you'll confirm the gender of your baby with your Harmony test results! Hehe, small perks! :p

Though, the price difference is huge, I did my Harmony Test at $850 (before gst) and got my results after only 7 days! Think OSCAR is only three / four hundred bucks?

My two cents worth :)

Thanks Mummy for your reply. Which clinic or hospital did you go to? Cause he is quoting me $1300. And Oscar at 300. Thou the difference is $1k but in hubby's perspective, he thinks one of the perks is only to find out bb's gender. He thinks that 85% of the results is good enough already?

Thanks Mummy for your reply. Which clinic or hospital did you go to? Cause he is quoting me $1300. And Oscar at 300. Thou the difference is $1k but in hubby's perspective, he thinks one of the perks is only to find out bb's gender. He thinks that 85% of the results is good enough already?
My Gynae at TMC charged $950

Hello Mummy, I'm 9 weeks pregnant only. And he ask me to decide by next appointment if I want to do harmony or Oscar. And I'm not sure if he is going to do the NT test for me on the next visit? Is is compulsory? What is the scan for?
Hi cheysoh, the NT test is part of the regular ultrasound scan at week 12/13. http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a544491/nuchal-translucency-nt-scan

By measuring the ratio of water behind the fetus' neck vs the nose legth (something like that :p), it could predict the chance of DS. Accuracy up to 80+%.

OSCAR (90%) or HARMONY (99%) is add'l test to check on DS and Edward Syndrome. HARMONY let you know the gender of your baby earlier so many of us like that part:D. They were done by drawing blood from the mother. Done it on the same day I did the NT Scan.

Congrats!

I'm 9 weeks pregnant when I saw him yesterday and he said everything is fine thou. So I'm confused why he is asking me to do the harmony test

You should ask him the reason for recommending OSCAR or HARMONY.

Some practitioners earn extra income by recommending tests when the checks are good, although no harm is done but it will also depends on your financial status.

Hi cheysoh, the NT test is part of the regular ultrasound scan at week 12/13. http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a544491/nuchal-translucency-nt-scan

By measuring the ratio of water behind the fetus' neck vs the nose legth (something like that :p), it could predict the chance of DS. Accuracy up to 80+%.

OSCAR (90%) or HARMONY (99%) is add'l test to check on DS and Edward Syndrome. HARMONY let you know the gender of your baby earlier so many of us like that part:D. They were done by drawing blood from the mother. Done it on the same day I did the NT Scan.

Congrats!

Oh wow. I forgot that there were so many tests. Haha. That's why hubby said is like paying extra just to check the gender of the baby earlier.

You should ask him the reason for recommending OSCAR or HARMONY.

Some practitioners earn extra income by recommending tests when the checks are good, although no harm is done but it will also depends on your financial status.

Hey mummy. Okay I will ask him on the next visit and see what is his advise on this too

Congrats!

Hello, sorry to revive an old topic but this pops up as relevant on my search. Soon to be daddy here and I am, too a tad confused about the Panorama/Harmony, Oscar and NT (test) scans. My understanding so far:

1) Harmony/Panorama and OSCAR tests are NIPT (and Harmony/Panorama accuracy > OSCAR?)
2) NT scan is part of ultrasound scan/uses ultrasound technology (is there blood sampling involved?)
3) All tests above checks for chromosal abnormalities - with Harmony offering more by allowing parents to know the gender of baby
4) All tests are usually done within week 12-13 of pregnancy.

Now, correct me if I am mistaken but based on the above:

1) I may choose between Harmony/Panorama and OSCAR depending on my financial capability
2) NT scan is best done during above said period because the base of baby's neck is still transparent
3) Do I still need NT scan if I opt for Harmony/Panorama considering the accuracy and gender reveal?

My wife and I missed our appointment which includes these tests due to emergency. I've managed to lock down an appointment but by then my wife would be 13 weeks and 6 days in. So, we're concerned that we may be too late to carry out the tests as we missed the window. Can anyone out there confirm this? And perhaps advise what would the best way forward?

I’m planning to go for nipt but not sure to go for basic or comprehensive one which covers more of the other syndrome.. any advice one which? This is my first preg.. Thanks!

I’m planning to go for nipt but not sure to go for basic or comprehensive one which covers more of the other syndrome.. any advice one which? This is my first preg.. Thanks!
Hi, I just did my FTS (I think also known as OSCAR) today at KKH. After the scan, the doc will advise whether you belong to the Low risk. if not, they will advise you to go for harmony test (I think also known as NIPT). That’s my experience so far. This is my first pregnancy also.
Hope this helps.

I
Hi Mummies,

I am 24 and expecting baby no.2
Went for check up today and gynae introduced me to harmony Test. He said I can choose between Oscar or harmony the next time round.

Do you think it is necessary for a harmony test? What did you opt for?

TIA

I opted for Oscar only

Hi, I just did my FTS (I think also known as OSCAR) today at KKH. After the scan, the doc will advise whether you belong to the Low risk. if not, they will advise you to go for harmony test (I think also known as NIPT). That’s my experience so far. This is my first pregnancy also.
Hope this helps.

hi! Thanks for sharing! I think Oscar and nipt are similar in the sense that they are like screening (Low vs high risk). The diagnostic test is the amnesc… something which takes DNA from baby and can 100% confirm the result.

Hope this helps.

Hi, may I know whether KKH patients can get to do Harmony test without doing NT?

Hi, may I know whether KKH patients can get to do Harmony test without doing NT?
KKH will ask you to choose betwen oscar which come with ultrasound to measure the NT or Harmony test.

For subsidy patient, if you choose oscar and come back with bad result then you can go for harmony test which you only need pay for 50% of the original price. If choose to go harmony straight, need to pay full amount ard $700++

Hello, sorry to revive an old topic but this pops up as relevant on my search. Soon to be daddy here and I am, too a tad confused about the Panorama/Harmony, Oscar and NT (test) scans. My understanding so far:

1) Harmony/Panorama and OSCAR tests are NIPT (and Harmony/Panorama accuracy > OSCAR?)
2) NT scan is part of ultrasound scan/uses ultrasound technology (is there blood sampling involved?)
3) All tests above checks for chromosal abnormalities - with Harmony offering more by allowing parents to know the gender of baby
4) All tests are usually done within week 12-13 of pregnancy.

Now, correct me if I am mistaken but based on the above:

1) I may choose between Harmony/Panorama and OSCAR depending on my financial capability
2) NT scan is best done during above said period because the base of baby's neck is still transparent
3) Do I still need NT scan if I opt for Harmony/Panorama considering the accuracy and gender reveal?

My wife and I missed our appointment which includes these tests due to emergency. I've managed to lock down an appointment but by then my wife would be 13 weeks and 6 days in. So, we're concerned that we may be too late to carry out the tests as we missed the window. Can anyone out there confirm this? And perhaps advise what would the best way forward?

Hello, just to correct some points.

NIPT is non-invasive prenatal testing. This term is used for blood tests that look for cell-free foetal DNA in the mother’s blood. Examples are Harmony and Panorama.

OSCAR stands for One-Stop Clinic for Assessment of Risk. It is essentially a nuchal translucency (NT) scan combined with serum protein markers from the mother’s blood, to gauge the probability of Down syndrome. It is not commonly referred to as NIPT.

To answer your questions:

Yes of course.

The ideal time is 11-13

That depends on your preference but I would say no.

Harmony/Panorama (essentially NIPT) can reveal gender but do not include an ultrasound assessment. It is more specific and sensitive than OSCAR, but there is a Low but significant false-positive rate. At the end of it all, both OSCAR and NIPT are screening tests. Their main value is the very Low false-negative rate. In other words, if they tell you that there is a Low risk of chromosomal abnormalities, it is almost always correct. If they say that the risk is not Low, and you want to know for sure what chromosomal abnormalities are present (if any), do the amniocentesis (invasive test) instead.

4) My wife and I missed our appointment which includes these tests due to emergency. I've managed to lock down an appointment but by then my wife would be 13 weeks and 6 days in. So, we're concerned that we may be too late to carry out the tests as we missed the window. Can anyone out there confirm this? And perhaps advise what would the best way forward?

It is still ok to do OSCAR at 13+6 weeks. NIPT you can do anytime after 9-10 weeks as there would be more cell-free foetal DNA as the baby and placenta grow.

Back