LASIK when preggie

happyjean

Hi mummies,

Anyone did lasik while pregnant?

Any cons against this?

I planned to have it this week but found out I am pregnant yesterday nite

Clinic said can go ahead, but I want to hear from any of you

Thanks a lot

Are you doing it at a public or private clinic? I am just guessing that private clinics may be more keen to earn your money, so may still encourage you to do it.

I am not sure if you can, but there is the laser in action, and if you are in early pregnancy, best to stay clear of x-ray, etc type of radiation, or may affect the formation of the fetus. Not sure if laser counts. Perhaps you can call TTSH and SNEC to ask if they recommmend doing lasik while preg.

I did lasik when my baby was 6 months old, and wore the goggles for quite a while, in case she scratches my eye by mistake. That was 5 years ago already =)

I think not too wise to do anything unusual during preggie, older ppl will advise not to do this or that which i think just adviod if possible loh. if not affect your baby how? its a life time thing. Although clinic or hospital will advise to go ahead... think abt it

I understand that the cornea will change when preggie ( unable to detect the accuracy of the degree)so it is advisable not to do lasik. Play safe than sorry.

Better not to do it til after coz your hormones are not stable now. I was even told by the optician that i shouldn't make specs when i'm preggie even though i was also in my 1st trimester coz your degrees would vary while preg. Dun waste $ n risk not having perfect eyesight after that.

Just sharing my experience.

I did it during my 1st 4 weeks of preg. It was not intentionally cos I am not aware that I am preg until I have completed my Lasik at SNEC. I was very worried abt the effect on my bb but Dr told me it was ok. The eyedrops contained little steroid & he assured me that it will not affect the bb.

Now I am doing great with my vision & my 3 yrs old gal is perfectly normal. But if you are still worry, it's better to wait till you have delivered. Anyway you have been short sighted for so long, why not postphone the op for another yr? I guess the wait shouldn't be a problem.
happy.gif

I did it 3 months after delivery.

By then the water retention would have cleared and still on leave to have time to rest.

It's definitely worth having LASIK. dun need to worry on finding my glasses when feeding him at nite anymore

Hi mommies

those who had did the LASIK, which clinic would u recommend? and what are the costs involve?

I have been thinking of it for a long time already ...

Me too, no regrets of doing Lasik! Gone are the days of looking for glasses 1st thing in the morn & the fear of getting eye infectious.
happy.gif

Lee Tai,
I did mine at SNEC & hubby done his at Paragon. SNEC waiting time can be quite long & they dun performed Lasik for 2 eyes on the same day. As for Paragon, the waiting time is shorter. I remember my hubby took less than 1 week to have his eyes done after assessment. On top, they will perform Lasik on both eyes on the same day, so you can save one trip. I am not too sure what is the cost now but roughly should be ard $3000+ for everything & both centres offer installment plan.

sharing my experience as well.

i just did my lasik surgery earlier this week and my baby boy is 10 weeks old now.
I did have concerns about the changes in cornea shape or hormonal changes, but after reading articles online and consulting GP, Gynae and the eye surgeon, have decided to go ahead with it.

According to the 3 sources above, would suggest to do it after you have given birth as your cornea shape does change during pregancy - due to the water retention (swelling) and hormonal changes.
After birth, once all the swelling has gone away, then it would also indicate that the cornea has returned to normal.

I called up several clinics, including TTSH and SNEC on this, and it really depends on the eye surgeon "operating" on you. I know there are 2 surgeons in SNEC who are against pregnant woman and breastfeeding moms doing lasik. So really depends on the eye surgeon.

Also, as im breastfeeding my son, I also concern about the eye drops as it contain steriod. But my GP reassure me that even though the eye drops contain little % of steriod, by the time it got into the breast milk, its minimal.

I did mine in a pte clinic in paragon medical, called the lasik surgery centre.
No regrets on doing it - now dun have to fumble for glasses when breastfeeding baby son at night and also expressing milk.

Hi oink17

how much did u spend on the lasik?

I think lasik surgery centre is one of them which always advertise on the papers. If didn't remember wrongly the prices quoted are less than $2500 is that accruate?

hi lee tai

my apologies, the clinic name should be called the lasik surgery clinic, instead of lasik surgery centre.

I did wavefront lasik (microkeratome) and costed me $2888 w/o gst.
for the prices, u can check it out on their website.

yes, this clinic has alot of advertisements, think on TODAY.
You can attend their forum on lasik and afterwhich u can sign up for a free eye evaluation to see your suitability for lasik.

think they are the only clinic that provide free eye evaluation.

hi mummies who have done lasik, i just did my lasik on fri...but vision on my left is still a little blurry now..like have residual power (my power is 350 for my left)..

wld like to check with u how long did it take for u to have 6/6 vision? my fren did her lasik and told me she has 6/6 on day 2...i called the clinic and they told me may be up to 1 or 2 mths! its quite inconvenient as my wk involves loads of time in front of computer and now i cant see that clearly...

hi, i had mine not long ago. 6/6 vision after the week 1 assessment. Maybe you should let the doctor has a through examine instead of calling.

hi mommies,

need some feedback, Gleneagies/NEC/shinagawa or TTSH for lasik? prices are quite competitive in recent months, but I am worried about skill of eye surgeon..

MTIA
Harriet

harriet, i did mine at lasik surgery clinic at paragon. wld not recommend it unless u r prepared to wait v long and not to mention u only meet the doctor for less than 5min consultation. ..In terms of surgeon skills i wld say it is good ( i had dr marc tay). He is fast and efficient and painless...BUT the waiting time really cheesed me off.

I went for consultation on friday - it took 3.5 hours for the entire thing (checking eye power, cornea thickness etc). After that i was offered a slot at 6.30pm for surgery. I waited till 9.30pm to be finally operated by dr tay!!!!

thanks ruiqi, ok, paragon is out then..
just wondering if you have heard/experience any feedback about TTSH or Shinagawa? I called glenagles, the price advertised is just basic stuff, if you add on laser tracking or the eyeball during surgury or some other enhancement, the cost for each eye can go up by S1K!!!

harriet

yup. my fren's wife did hers in TTSH. Spoke to her only after i did mine *sigh*

She has only gd things to say abt them. She said her doctor was Prof Heng, senior consultant. u may wanna try. cost wise i think its abt the same. She had 6/6 on second day woh.

I just checked my eyes tdy. got residual power of 50 in left eye. They say may take up to 2 mths to stabilise...

Hi,

I did mine at Shinagawa last month. It was amazing for me as I had very high asti and myopia. Now i have 6/6 vision. Paid around $2600 including GST.

Hi Minolta,

I have some queries... :p

did you get 6/6 almost immediately?

Dr Lee did the procedure? How do you find him?

Is it painful? Or do you feel any discomfort during or after the procedure?

Thanks!

Hi anthea,

Initially my right eye was 6/6.75 and left eye 6/6. After about 2 weeks, Dr Lee said both eyes are now 6/6.

Dr Lee is very encouraging and friendly, as well as the staffs there.

I felt discomfort after the surgery but was ok the next day. I slept throughout once I reached home till I went for my check up the next day. I think it really helped me to rest my eyes.

Thanks Minolta.

What's 6/6.75? So, you only get 6/6 after two weeks?

I agree that the staff are friendly... Havn't talk to Dr Lee yet.

Did you have Intralaser? The non-blade type?

Sorry to pose so many questions... Am really interested and am considering Shinagawa...
happy.gif

anthea,

It's ok.

Yes, for my high degree, I need to have Intralase. Shinagawa has all the latest equipment and is Intralase is inclusive of the package.

Before that, I went to SGH (Singlasik) for pre-check. Doctor recommended that for better effect, he will do Intralase method for me but each eye will cost me $400. On top of that, he will also add on Tissue-saving thing which is about $100 plus per eye. So in total, I have to pay close to $4K to get my eyes done in SGH.

Another reason I chose Shinagawa is that my colleague went for the surgery 2 weeks before me and she is very satisfied with the result. That gives me more confidence.

Don't worry, go for it!

Oh thanks so much for answering my many queries and this assurance, Minolta... I really appreciate it! Yes, will shoot for it! Now, it is a matter of the my schedule...

Thanks Heaps!

Hi minolta
I am also considering lasik at shinagawa / ttsh. hope you can help me with some questions that i have been dying to find out!

do you know if the $2388 package also applies to wavefront guided treatment?

From your interaction with Dr Lee at shinagawa, how is his attitude towards questions and is he experienced with all sorts of lasik treatments?

Did you have long waiting time like those in LSC?

How professional are the staff doing your pre-assessment at shinagawa?

how much is yr degree & astig and which treatment (ie. tissue-saving, wavefront, etc) did you choose?

I know that's alot of qns. Hope you can help! thank u so much!

hi ruiqi
do u know if your friend who did it at ttsh, did she take the promo price?

how much did she spend in total?

did she choose her dr or is it just coincidence? cos i heard that under promo price, cannot choose dr. thanks a heap!

hi minimint, my fren said she paid 3200 in total. not promo price..she said cant choose doctor if promo price. Hmmm. dint know that..
Are u able to at least request for senior doctor?

hi ruiqi, thanks for info. i called up ttsh and they say under promo price cannot choose dr. so i am not sure if i can choose afterall. maybe if the staff is nice, they may tell me which dr is on duty on that day. 3200 is not that ex for a snr dr. if it is intralase...
happy.gif

hi minimint, oops. forgot to add that my fren did wavefront but not intralase. Its normal blade.

In LSC, my doctor told me that intralase takes twice as long - 20min vs the normal blade one - 10mins. Effects are just as good according to him. So I chose blade to shorten the op time.

Dear all

I am new here, happen to saw this forum. I am married for more than a year, since then, i had been trying so hard for baby, but no result yet. Sad plus sad, not sure that is it i count the ovulation date wrongly or something wrong with myself or my hubby. Can anyone advise what i should do??? I am reply sincerely asking for advising comments. Pls help?

I am also keen for my hb to do with a good lasik doc, can anyone share your experience with shinagawa/lasik clinic (paragon)/ or any others..?

Can anyone feeedback on lasik surgery at paragon? how's the waiting time, results and pricing?

soho - my hubby did his lasik at lasik surgery center at paragon under dr marc tay. he did his evaluation test on a sun and its really crowded, whole test took abt 3 hrs. the result is very very good and he regretted not doing it earlier. we paid abt $4k for wavefront bladeless procedure

winniepooh: Thanks so much for your feedback, wow...i think the waiting time is sooo soo long..3 hrs..just for an evaluation test..

What about during the procedure, did he have to wait v. long before his turn?

soho - sorry for this super late reply! the procedure lasted for less than 1.5 hrs, can't remember how long he told me he waited but I waited outside for less than 1.5 hrs

Hi all who did lasik,

Can I ask after the surgery the eyes still has these problems afetr 3 weeks:

1. HALO and GLOW effect on seeing lights and road lamps
2. Extremely dry eyes

Will the halo and glow effect go away or is it permanent? How long does it normally last?

Also the dry eyes is another problem...

Pls advise..

Finding MORE people to join to share the discount among us, the lasik at
http://www.lasiksurgeryclinic.com/ under Marc Tay

You must do it in May 2011 in order to get discount

Me and my sister is doing it in May so we will be having $150.00 discount off

For this May 2011 promotion they will waive off evaluation of the eyes at the price of $174.00

If add

2-3 people =$200.00 discount for each other
3-4 people onward + $250 discount for each other.

Those keen to share and go in May 2011 pls click my username and leave behind your contact number

Elmo: Do google on the 'side effects of Lasik' before you approach the lasik clinics. They will not tell you the side effects since this is their business.

My husband did his and suffered permanent damage to his eyes including astigmatism, myopia, hyperopia, floaters, halo and glow. Now he went to prescribe reading glasses, glasses ands transition glasses. Isn't it worse?

It's a risk you'll need to take and you know it's not reversible.

Interesting reads:

http://www.seewithlasik.com/docs/lasik-complications.html

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/TopTenReasons.htm

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/lasik_complication_1.htm

Elmo: FYI, if you would like to use Dr Marc Tay, please spend some time to read up more about him at http://sgforums.com/forums/3545/topics/431111?page=1

Please also read The Straits Times, 25 May Page B7 kof this article.

He has been ordered by court to pay damages for failed LASIK operation.

Please do not gather people to get bulk discounts for eye operations because everyone has different risk tolerance.

Hi all, I have tot very long whether to go ladik anot as I have very high power( 1300 each each + sun guang)...any good recommendation? Pls share.. Tks in advance

Back