I'm living with my in laws and I hate it!

reddragonbb

The pain of staying with my in-laws have been with me since I was married 11 years ago. Yes! 11 years! I'm amazed by how time passes without me losing my sanity and that the chances of me getting out of it is not happening any sooner. I felt that I needed some form of avenue to vent my anger/frustrations/helplessness....

My story with in-laws are not confined to the PIL but with the SIL as well(who declares that she is not going to get married),living and 'leeching' on the convenience of having a house to stay. When I got married, I protested to the idea of staying together but was shot down by my hubby, who is the only son, saying that he needed to take care of his aging parents. I was coaxed into thinking that it may not be that bad after all and that if we never try, we never know theory. I gave in and resulted in 11 years of regret of not making my stand then.

My nightmare started even in the 1st month of our lives together when I found out my FIL ruined my kitchen counter top by chiseling some dried glue (which he accidentally dripped) with a knife. I was horrified and the pain (in dollars and cents) of my newly renovated house, which they did not seem to care about (not from their pockets), is being 'taken care of' in such insensitive manner. Things got worse when my FIL who have the habit of bringing 'old & used' items home, started to clutter their room, living room and my miserable tiny storeroom. My hubby tried to persuade him to throw them out but was met with strong resistance that comes with 'throwing them out = throwing him out'.

While having our wits end with my FIL, comes the greatest pain in the A** of all which is my SIL. To all my friends, I am not a person who is hard to get along with and that I'm usually seen as the easy-going gal.But I have never in my life filled with so much hatred for a person like my SIL and just by talking about her makes my blood boil!

SIL is the most insensitive person anyone could imagine. All these years I never brought my friends back after one incident which she shouted from her room, at them, to keep the volume down. Others may have thought that it's in the wee hours of the day but no, it's only 10pm and my friends were just going to wrap up their activities for the night pretty soon. But they had to be met with such rudeness that embarrassed me greatly.

She has never respected the fact that she is staying with us and that the house belongs to us. Permission asking is never in her to do the things she wants to do. There is one occasion that I caught her literally 'sneaking' a friend to sleep in with her when I accidentally found a pair of sneakers tucked away in the cupboard. She doesn't feel any remorse when confronted and that no apologies is given at all. In fact, she felt that we were 'too strict' with our house rules that that we are imposing ourselves as the 'house owners' to restrict this and that.

Well, that was the time when she was 24 years of age and now being 31, she has not become any better in person. Being 31, having a career as a marketing manager and not contributing to the household utility bills, it's unthinkable. She doesn't do household chores except doing her own laundry and cleaning her own room. When she has something she wants to throw out from her room, she puts in the living room, thinking that it can be 'recycled' by other people.

Recently, we had a big fight. I found that my patience have been tested so much that I cannot tolerate anymore of her. It's either that I die with high blood or she gets out of the house. My MIL thought that we are too harsh with that and that she will be a single, vulnerable girl in the outside world, if we turn her out. MIL cried buckets and begging my hubby not to do that to his only sister. But we had enough. The good news now is she is moving overseas for a job soon. But I'm so afraid that she will come back to our house again as my MIL harbors the thought that she would if she comes to Singapore during her break. I definitely do not want that to happen and my hubby refused to talk to her to know about her plans. I cannot talk to her about it as a position of a DIL where such things are sensitive if they are not conveyed properly.

I'm still stressed that even though my SIL is going away, I'm not totally out of the possibility of staying with her again. I cannot do things too drastically as my MIL is suffering from stroke and my FIL has heart problems. Do not want to be the one to cause any collapse for their health conditions.

I gave up the thought of having children and probably am glad that I made that choice. Maybe I might regret but I think I had enough to handle with current situation. I used to cry or took it out at my poor hubby in the past. Several times I toyed with the idea of a divorce as I had enough. But hubby is a nice, loving man and in my opinion, a victim as well. With that thought, I couldn't do it. But a man's patience will grow thinner with time and I'm just praying that I will not snap one day to end all this once and for all.

Yes we have an age gap. I ever tried to tell her what I don't like but she goes back to her old habits again. During our big fight, she felt there was nothing wrong with her ways and that I'm petty.

We wanted to move out but as my hubby is the only son, it's really difficult now with his parent's condition. Moreover, the house is under us and his parents does not have any retirement funds. It will be stretched to finance 2 houses. All this stresses me a lot
sad.gif

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am sure it is hasn't been easy for you all these years. But do look on the bright side, you have survived for over a decade - let's hope this is another down cycle and will soon go back up.

What I have learn, is that when there are roommates or housemates involved, many are not very "automatic". Hence, if you feel that the SIL is leaching off your generosity, you could just pass her the electricity bill, or ask her to pay a rental fees. This instills responsibility and a bit of a formality - in case she didn't notice, you're the boss. The same goes for cleaning and chores. Say specifically what you want to be done. Rubbish not taken out should be carefully placed in her room; door shut. (Huh? You mean that was rubbish? Thought she wanted it. Why didn't she throw it if it was trash?)... Make it clear how often you want the flat mopped. If she pays a full rent then she gets away with housework. If she pays part rent then she gets part chore. Because, she is a working adult. And each of us must be responsible, right? No, it is not negotiable. Unless your husband or ILs wanna pay for her, or clean for her. If she doesn't like it she can leave.

If she is moving on to an overseas posting, you could ask her to pack up her things in boxes and put them in the store-room. Make plans to convert her room into a study, for example. Or have a baby while she is away and let that be your nursery room!

Living under the same roof is not easy, especially for us the womenfolk. We tend to wanna be in charge, be the boss, and want things to be done our way. The men seem to be less bothered, unless you invade his PC, TV, or favourite sofa seat!

Take care, and all the best!

Yes I wish things will be brighter soon.

We have put on the 'manual gear' on SIL and she does not even barge. Showed her the electrical bill many times and she said she will pay once she gets her pay the following month as she is always broke (which of course that month never came). The thing is she cannot even contribute $100 to the monthly bills. When hubby asked her to help to sweep the floor she said that the once every fortnight helper (which she is paying as the helper cleans her room and irons her clothes) will be coming 2 days later or even next week. PIL does not bother about that and even tells us that they will pay her share (god knows how when we are the ones paying all the time).

Thing is she never respect us as the boss and have my PIL spoiling her. My FIL even told me once that I am too harsh on her and should let her be as she had tried to commit suicide as a teenager due to relationship problems.

Can't you get her helper to do some general housework as well? Hmm... this one sounds like such a loser! If she doesn't do anything for the household, then the household shouldn't do anything for her, too! Including, if possible, no meals? Sorry, I am very mean when it comes to this - for someone that appreciates, I can give them the world and just take THANK YOU as payment. For someone that doesn't appreciate, toilet paper also I dun provide!

I had a colleague who lives in a bungalow and have a few other properties. But the day her son started working, she shoved him the electricity bill and get him to pay. They had the electricity cut off once. But my colleague just play dumb "oh, because son didn't pay". He ended up borrowing money from friends and other siblings to pay! Colleague calls this responsibility. Another friend of mine "rents" a room to her sister. Pays rent 20% below market rate - cos everyone works, and everyone is tired, and everyone needs to save money, too!

Maybe we cannot help, but if you rant, you vent, we will hear you out. Jia you!

The helper does general housework except my room as I do not want her to do mine. I'm very upset with my SIL and do not want to 'take' any favors from her even tho she pays for it, which in this case is because she benefits from it most. The bottom line is that since she is living under the same roof, it's a responsibility to share work and whenever there is dirt to clear, it's not to wait for the helper. I am an independent person and I did most of the house work even when I'm working. I used to rush home to do the cooking or even prepared food for my PIL so that they have proper home cooked meals instead of eating out.

Thank you so much for hearing me out, it meant alot...sometimes I get so frustrated that I cried alone. I'm not asking for any solutions which I don't think anyone can offer, it's really just me waiting for the day to be happier without them.

I saw this clip previously. The point that was told to us was that in life, there are things we may not be able to change - things at work, in laws, health, fertility, blah blah blah. But we must choose how we live it. Instead of saying "We will be happy if....; or We will be happy when...." We should just do what we can, and make that moment counts, make that time happy.

Happiness sometimes come with a price. Why are some selfish people happy? You chose to live this way. It's your house your call and you need to be firm about it. You had wasted 11yrs, how many more 11yrs do you have?

Thank you Michael for sharing this awesome vid! I felt much much better watching it! Definitely will try to find that purpose in life for me. God bless all
happy.gif

Back