High Needs Baby- Dr Sears

Twirlycandy

Hi Mummies,

I thought i should share with you an article i came across recently by Dr Sears on High Needs Baby. This term is used to describe babies who requires more dedication, attention, cuddling from parents. They are usually described by others as 'fussy' and 'difficult to put down' and require to be held all the time, to be rocked all the time, to pace them around the house or to be talked to or simply just showering lots of attention and cuddling on them.

I find this article enlightening because it seems to describe my three months old daughter well. My daughter is full of energy and very curious. She demands being carried so that she can explore things on a higher vantage point. She also lets out her emotions loud and clear when she is unhappy or dissatisfied. But when she is happy, she chuckles out loud and its heart-warming.

At first, my husband and i were wondering if we are parenting her incorrectly. It gets stressful when other parents seem to imply we are spoiling her by carrying her all the time. But now we have accepted that all babies are different and ours just need more love and attention from us to satisfy her needs.

You can read the article here and feel free to share your thoughts.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/fussy-baby/high-need-baby

I come to accept that babies are products of the interplay between nature and nurture. And its true that babies have their inherent character traits and theres no 'one size fits all' model of ideal parenting. We are just doing the best we could for her.

Back