Gynae

Coly2323

Hello, has any mummies seen Dr Ben Choey at amk? Is he experience enough for both natural and c sect? Or Dr Paul Tseng is better?
As Dr Ben is located at amk, will it take him some time to reach the hospital if i am already in labor? How is the procedure like? Pls advise thank you!

I have no experience with Dr Ben Choey, but many doctors do travel to hospitals for deliveries and they get sufficient notice from the labour ward to make it on time.

For Dr Paul Tseng, he is a pro-natural gynae in a very extensive way i.e. not just supporting vaginal delivery, but doesn't routinely advise interventions like scanning, testing etc except when medically indicated. For example, he only uses his hand measurements and Doppler for heartbeat during most visits (you have separate detailed scans every trimester) unless you want an ultrasound scan every time. He is also one of the few gynaes who doesn't have a long list of exceptions to supporting vaginal delivery (e.g. some gynaes have issues with due date, baby weight, breech presentation, long labour etc.; Dr Paul is one of the very few gynaes who is open to even vaginal breech delivery). Dr Paul has no package, which I like because you don't feel pressurised to stick to someone just because you paid upfront. This also means you can always consult someone else and still look for him in the later stages if you need a second opinion.

There is no right or wrong, you just have to find the right fit for what you envision for the birth. You can also visit both and ask questions to give them a chance to advise you then see whose style you like.

I have no experience with Dr Ben Choey, but many doctors do travel to hospitals for deliveries and they get sufficient notice from the labour ward to make it on time.

For Dr Paul Tseng, he is a pro-natural gynae in a very extensive way i.e. not just supporting vaginal delivery, but doesn't routinely advise interventions like scanning, testing etc except when medically indicated. For example, he only uses his hand measurements and Doppler for heartbeat during most visits (you have separate detailed scans every trimester) unless you want an ultrasound scan every time. He is also one of the few gynaes who doesn't have a long list of exceptions to supporting vaginal delivery (e.g. some gynaes have issues with due date, baby weight, breech presentation, long labour etc.; Dr Paul is one of the very few gynaes who is open to even vaginal breech delivery). Dr Paul has no package, which I like because you don't feel pressurised to stick to someone just because you paid upfront. This also means you can always consult someone else and still look for him in the later stages if you need a second opinion.

There is no right or wrong, you just have to find the right fit for what you envision for the birth. You can also visit both and ask questions to give them a chance to advise you then see whose style you like.

Hi CupofTea, thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it. I’ve heard that patient under Dr Paul Tseng has a very low chance of getting into emergency c sect as he knows how to guide the baby out really well in just a few push.. is that true? Because i believe the most stressful moment is when mothers have to suddenly be alarmed that they had to go into emergency c sect when natural birth fails or when labor doesnt progress much..

Hi CupofTea, thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it. I’ve heard that patient under Dr Paul Tseng has a very low chance of getting into emergency c sect as he knows how to guide the baby out really well in just a few push.. is that true? Because i believe the most stressful moment is when mothers have to suddenly be alarmed that they had to go into emergency c sect when natural birth fails or when labor doesnt progress much..
He basically has a high threshold for medical intervention and a lot of patience for nature to take its course haha so he does wait for labour to progress on its own unless there are medical concerns. He is also very open to birth plans, working with doulas and midwives etc. If you're a first time mum, I highly recommend reading up and consulting such birth workers even if you don't engage them in the end...the discussions and any classes you choose to take will help you make informed decisions about a lot of small things during birth. I really feel there is a difference between learning from hospital courses (mostly technical and based on pain relief etc that hospitals offer) and from those who have actually assisted births with no/little interventions.

He basically has a high threshold for medical intervention and a lot of patience for nature to take its course haha so he does wait for labour to progress on its own unless there are medical concerns. He is also very open to birth plans, working with doulas and midwives etc. If you're a first time mum, I highly recommend reading up and consulting such birth workers even if you don't engage them in the end...the discussions and any classes you choose to take will help you make informed decisions about a lot of small things during birth. I really feel there is a difference between learning from hospital courses (mostly technical and based on pain relief etc that hospitals offer) and from those who have actually assisted births with no/little interventions.

Do you have any recommendations for those birth workers? Those birth workers can also liaise with your gynae?

Do you have any recommendations for those birth workers? Those birth workers can also liaise with your gynae?
Yes, but you should confirm with your provider. Most hospitals have no issues (NUH has their own Emma care midwife service too). There are many resources, but you can look at https://www.doulasofsingapore.com/ for a start. Most offer a free upfront consultation and many provide antenatal birth classes even if you don't need their services during your delivery.

Hello, has any mummies seen Dr Ben Choey at amk? Is he experience enough for both natural and c sect? Or Dr Paul Tseng is better?
As Dr Ben is located at amk, will it take him some time to reach the hospital if i am already in labor? How is the procedure like? Pls advise thank you!

I've had experience with Dr Ben Choey for C-sect (originally I wanted natural but because high-risk we had to it c-sect). His stitches are neat and tiny.

Yes, but you should confirm with your provider. Most hospitals have no issues (NUH has their own Emma care midwife service too). There are many resources, but you can look at https://www.doulasofsingapore.com/ for a start. Most offer a free upfront consultation and many provide antenatal birth classes even if you don't need their services during your delivery.
Hello! Just to ride on, midwife is it considered as doula?

Hello! Just to ride on, midwife is it considered as doula?
Nope, midwife does clinical tasks like cervical checks, fetal monitoring etc during labour. Doulas provide non-clinical support like preparing your body and mind before labour, helping you cope during labour through relaxation/movement etc. In the local context, nurses and/or hospital-based midwives do the midwife role. Standalone midwives are more popular overseas where people can choose a midwife (instead of gynae) to deliver the baby.

Back