Gynae Recommendations for PCOS

pirateheart

Hi everyone! I'm 30 this year and was diagnosed with PCOS about three years ago after a year of not having my period. The gynae wasn't really helpful then and only advised me to lose weight and prescribed Duphaston to induce period every few months. I've since lost a significant amount of weight but my period is still not back, and I've been undergoing TCM the last 5 months to no avail as well.

I intend to get a check-up again and a second opinion since I just started a relationship and will eventually TTC, so would like to see if anyone has recommendations for gynaes who are experienced and helpful with PCOS sufferers? I'm open to both private or public doctors too. My goal is to have my period regularly again and manage my PCOS so I'll be more prepared to start on my TTC journey in the future. Thanks in advance! :)

Hello! From what I know, there's no medicine or procedure to "treat" PCOS, seeing a gynae will only get you on hormonal birth control (HBC) to control the PCOS symptoms such as acne, hair loss and excess hair growth. HBC also suppresses ovulation and causes the cervix to age faster.

Highly recommend you the books:
Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden
The Fifth Vital Sign by Lisa Hendrickson-Jack

Also, Jessica Ash Wellness on Instagram.

There's a lot to take in and the healing process is gonna take a long time, so go slow and take care of yourself.

There's really no one way to treat PCOS afaik but yes most of the time you'll be put on ovulation medicine and advised to modify your diet and lifestyle. You can try my gynae Dr Regina Zuzarte-Ng. She does pre-conception counseling, which includes detecting factors that might affect pregnancy chances like PCOS, and help you find a suitable treatment.

Yes, I do agree with Your doctor about lose weight first. Then slowly your health will improving too. Let me know I will share my experience with you. I do have a friend who had this issue as well. & Now, her health improve tremendously.

Yes, I do agree with Your doctor about lose weight first. Then slowly your health will improving too. Let me know I will share my experience with you. I do have a friend who had this issue as well. & Now, her health improve tremendously.

Thanks for this! Yes I actually did lose about 23kg since then through healthier eating, but my period still isn't back, which is why I would like to seek out a second opinion about my condition :) Can you share more about how your friend coped with this? Thank you!

Thanks for this! Yes I actually did lose about 23kg since then through healthier eating, but my period still isn't back, which is why I would like to seek out a second opinion about my condition :) Can you share more about how your friend coped with this? Thank you!

Wow, 23Kg is a lot... I believe you out in a lot of efforts... My friend also like your after lose 10Kg weight & 6Kg pure fat lose, her menses come back to normal ...

Hi, congrats on your weight loss! No mean feat. Did your gynae do a series of blood tests for you?
- check for insulin levels. Different from blood sugar A1c. Insulin resistance is common with pcos.
- thyroids
- prolactin
- hormones
- dhea
I went to Dr Marilyn Lee, she's an endocrine dr not a gynae. Had a terrible experience with a gynae who recommended me onto birth control only.

Going low carb and losing weight helped, started with bmi of 25.5 and by around 23, it was more regular. Also took myo-inositol for the insulin resistance. The dr may prescribed you metformin for it.

Hi, congrats on your weight loss! No mean feat. Did your gynae do a series of blood tests for you?
- check for insulin levels. Different from blood sugar A1c. Insulin resistance is common with pcos.
- thyroids
- prolactin
- hormones
- dhea
I went to Dr Marilyn Lee, she's an endocrine dr not a gynae. Had a terrible experience with a gynae who recommended me onto birth control only.

Going low carb and losing weight helped, started with bmi of 25.5 and by around 23, it was more regular. Also took myo-inositol for the insulin resistance. The dr may prescribed you metformin for it.

Hi, do you mind to share what type of investigation and treatment plan did Dr Marilyn Lee do for you, and what were her rates?

Hi, do you mind to share what type of investigation and treatment plan did Dr Marilyn Lee do for you, and what were her rates?

Investigation as previously mentioned. Treatment will be based on your investigations. Costs i can't remember, it was in 2019. Her consultation cost was $150-200 i think. Then blood tests requires an additional amount.

Back