Gestational Diabetes

Wah since week20?! May I know how old are u. I'm turning 36 Gosh u must have freaked out. I'm also on nifedipine n often get its side effects plus sometimes my blood sugar level dips low, can feel very giddy and breathless. Don't worry too much, wait for ur next growth scan and see how is it.
Lol.... Think we have very similiar profile .... Am turning 37.

Ha ha I walk ard w contractions for 4weeks before I Realise something is not right n told gynea.Then kena sent to delivery room followed by warded for 1 day to observe my contractions. So I got "full" maternity tour lol.

I also get breathless sometimes usually 1hr after lunch. Think is due to med, indigestion , bb fighting space w lungs etc. So far no notice low sugar level.

Actually was really surprised I have gdm as no history in my family n prior to preg my blood sugar is always optimum in my yearly general health checkup n I put on little weight.

For your case hope everything is under control. But take heart tat you r at relative safe period now w 32weeks :)

Lol.... Think we have very similiar profile .... Am turning 37.

Ha ha I walk ard w contractions for 4weeks before I Realise something is not right n told gynea.Then kena sent to delivery room followed by warded for 1 day to observe my contractions. So I got "full" maternity tour lol.

I also get breathless sometimes usually 1hr after lunch. Think is due to med, indigestion , bb fighting space w lungs etc. So far no notice low sugar level.

Actually was really surprised I have gdm as no history in my family n prior to preg my blood sugar is always optimum in my yearly general health checkup n I put on little weight.

For your case hope everything is under control. But take heart tat you r at relative safe period now w 32weeks :)
I was also warded for a day at W28. I thought my contractions was BH. Like u, I also have no diabetic history. I think could be age. Really challenges after challenges. My gynae told me high chance I would be Pre term. U take care and hope everything turns out well for u. Try ur best to eat more protein, calcium n complex carbo.

@Witchjj take care, don't stress yourself about the numbers of calories intake. Make sure you hungry n go giddy. As what Skivewalker said eat more protein, calcium n complex carbo. A bit more veg is good too. keep the cooking simple (steam, boil, grill, no excessive seasoning n sauce). So long as no spike of your sugar level is fine. Get enough rest.

Me at wk29 now. Had contractions since week 20! In fact being FTM I tot tats normal lol. Was diagnose with irritable uterus. Am on nifedipine n utrogestan to control contractions.

Like you I get full easily so for me it's a case of I am forcing myself to eat more cos worry bb not enuf nutrients to grow. I only put on 5kg so far ..... N stop putting on ( in fact lost 1kg) ever since I went on gdm diet 3 weeks ago.

So the dilemma comes about how to eat so much kal when I get full easily n w gdm diet. :(

Hi Witchjj, oh.. contraction at week 20? Was it very painful? I think on the kcal, don't push too hard on yourself. Healthy food diet will do, BB will get the nutrients.

Hi Witchjj, oh.. contraction at week 20? Was it very painful? I think on the kcal, don't push too hard on yourself. Healthy food diet will do, BB will get the nutrients.

No not pain for my frequent contractions. Just stomach tighten. If pain n see abnormal discharge need go in immediately.

ever since I m on GDM diet, i tend to cut down on food intake amount. somehow always at the back of my mind, i keep telling myself... not too much, not too much... and i get hungry easily, even i have snacks per the diet suggestions. I realise that i get breathless easily, and my energy level is rather low. I used to be quite active in walking around, meet ups ... but this couple of days, i feel breathless and tired even after 2 flight of stairs.
my mom told me that since i have cut down on the sugar and carbo .. its normal... but she is worried too.. if i have cut down too much... o_O

ever since I m on GDM diet, i tend to cut down on food intake amount. somehow always at the back of my mind, i keep telling myself... not too much, not too much... and i get hungry easily, even i have snacks per the diet suggestions. I realise that i get breathless easily, and my energy level is rather low. I used to be quite active in walking around, meet ups ... but this couple of days, i feel breathless and tired even after 2 flight of stairs.
my mom told me that since i have cut down on the sugar and carbo .. its normal... but she is worried too.. if i have cut down too much... o_O
How many wks along r u? Think quite common to be slightly breathless in 3rd trimister. Another thing might be anemia which also is not uncommon in late 2nd trimister- 3rd trimister

How many wks along r u? Think quite common to be slightly breathless in 3rd trimister. Another thing might be anemia which also is not uncommon in late 2nd trimister- 3rd trimister
hi Witchjj, I am 30 weeks now.
Oh, is common to be slightly breathless at 3rd trim?
Still, I m sticking to the 30 mins walk after dinner everyday despite hubby comment that I sound breathless. So we tend to keep the pace slow. hope the walk helps in keeping the blood sugar low and during labour.
How are you doing?

hi Witchjj, I am 30 weeks now.
Oh, is common to be slightly breathless at 3rd trim?
Still, I m sticking to the 30 mins walk after dinner everyday despite hubby comment that I sound breathless. So we tend to keep the pace slow. hope the walk helps in keeping the blood sugar low and during labour.
How are you doing?

Ya common. Most of my exp mum friends has tat n my gynea confirm also. Causes are less space for your lungs, hormonal, anemia etc. But of cos if u super breathless a lot of time even while sitting then seek doc opinion.

Ha me also 30 weeks! So ard 2 more mths to go for both of us .. Hurray!!

Got used to my contractions. Sugar level in control except wake up levels.

I am 34 weeks. Baby 2.63kg. Today just saw gynae, she said due to I am GD patient, by 38weeks need to induce already.... :(

@MTB-2015 don't worry too much, trust your gynae. By 38wks bb is mature enough already. Meanwhile continue with your diet plan n insulin, and do some light walking which helps to control sugar level & prep your labour.

Not a must to induce... It depends a lot of factors rather than simply having GDM. If the gynae assess the risk to keep in mum is higher than let bb come out, they would suggest to induce.
Mine was a waiting game until 40wk on EDD then delivered naturally.

Ya common. Most of my exp mum friends has tat n my gynea confirm also. Causes are less space for your lungs, hormonal, anemia etc. But of cos if u super breathless a lot of time even while sitting then seek doc opinion.

Ha me also 30 weeks! So ard 2 more mths to go for both of us .. Hurray!!

Got used to my contractions. Sugar level in control except wake up levels.
Oh Witchjj, you also week 30! yeah... have "partner" liao..
Jia you together!

I am 34 weeks. Baby 2.63kg. Today just saw gynae, she said due to I am GD patient, by 38weeks need to induce already.... :(

MTB-2015, your bb is of good weight.. don't worry... normally the gynae will assess your case. I have heard of cases, bb not enough weight despite mum having gdm... and the gynae advise her to load up her carbo and sugar during the last few weeks..

Err it's a must for gd mum to be induce at wk 38 ah?
My blood pressure also quite high, 140.
By Week 38, baby's organs r all better function Liao, safe to induce.

Also, doctor said most of the GD mums who inject insulin to be induce by week 38. For those mums who didn't inject insulin and only on diet control, no need induce.

My blood pressure also quite high, 140.
By Week 38, baby's organs r all better function Liao, safe to induce.

Also, doctor said most of the GD mums who inject insulin to be induce by week 38. For those mums who didn't inject insulin and only on diet control, no need induce.
I am not on insulin but my gynae said he would induce me :(
Do u ladies know how does the induction work?

The nurse will insert pill to induce. Then few hours later to check your dilation. If not dilate, the nurse will insert another pill. Thereafter gynae will come and check. My dilation stop at 5cm after the second pill and gynae broke my water bag to speed up the process. My labour from the start of the first pill to delivery took about 17hrs. Some faster.. Mine quite long and I almost begged for csect. But luckily all ends well. Trust your gynae.

Same with me too. The nurses insert 2 pills and nothing happens, no dilation at all even after 12hrs, so my gynae have to break my water bag, and wow ..... after epi , i was dilated to 7cm within 2 hrs.
I decided not to go for induced this round.

Perhaps you can check again with ur gynae for the reason that u may need to induce to have a better understanding.

They will insert pill to start induction( maybe 2 or 3 later), put oxytocin drip, break water bag.

Have fren induce be coz of low water level.... Dilation was too fast that no time to take epidural, and yes pain xia. Another was over 30hrs of slow dilation from the 1st pill, then in the end need emergency csect. Also have another fren with high bp n GD need csect in wk 36.

Actually for me though there was no need to induce, but because my water bag burst itself at only 2cm and without active contraction, my gynae also insert the pill at the start when i admitted n gave me drip about 6hrs later to speed up dilation, that time still struggling at 3-4cm. No mater how, I believe your baby is the one have the say whether he/she wanna come out. I have waited for 20hrs from the start of my water bag burst to cord cutting ceremony... Phew.

So everyone would have an entire different experience. Trust your gynae.

Perhaps you can check again with ur gynae for the reason that u may need to induce to have a better understanding.

They will insert pill to start induction( maybe 2 or 3 later), put oxytocin drip, break water bag.

Have fren induce be coz of low water level.... Dilation was too fast that no time to take epidural, and yes pain xia. Another was over 30hrs of slow dilation from the 1st pill, then in the end need emergency csect. Also have another fren with high bp n GD need csect in wk 36.

Actually for me though there was no need to induce, but because my water bag burst itself at only 2cm and without active contraction, my gynae also insert the pill at the start when i admitted n gave me drip about 6hrs later to speed up dilation, that time still struggling at 3-4cm. No mater how, I believe your baby is the one have the say whether he/she wanna come out. I have waited for 20hrs from the start of my water bag burst to cord cutting ceremony... Phew.

Wow 20 hours! My mum told me I was an induced bb too but she said doc only gave her a jab to induce. Looks like it's a different ball game now. I don't think I can tahan without epidural for sure.

The nurse will insert pill to induce. Then few hours later to check your dilation. If not dilate, the nurse will insert another pill. Thereafter gynae will come and check. My dilation stop at 5cm after the second pill and gynae broke my water bag to speed up the process. My labour from the start of the first pill to delivery took about 17hrs. Some faster.. Mine quite long and I almost begged for csect. But luckily all ends well. Trust your gynae.
I am getting nervous already :(

Me also high BP and GD, will I go for csect too?

I am getting nervous already :(
Don't worry lah. Actually it is only resting on the bed waiting for the dilation. My first was induced due to irregular heartbeat. My second one thou I have GD was delivered normally without the need to induce. 9am check in when water bag leaking and few hours later delivered liao. Still in time for lunch. Listen to the doctor. They best know up your condition. Oh I have epi for both so no pain. Still can watch TV, surf Facebook and talk to hubby. Don't worry, ok?

Wow 20 hours! My mum told me I was an induced bb too but she said doc only gave her a jab to induce. Looks like it's a different ball game now. I don't think I can tahan without epidural for sure.

Haha of coz to take epidural, long wait is good n worth to take, can have a good sleep and save energy for the real push. I sign the form an hour plus after the drip started, feel buay tahan, about half an hour later poke the back, relief!

Me also high BP and GD, will I go for csect too?
No lar, since your gynae only said need to induce.
Of coz everyone go for normal would have a chance for emergency csect regardless induce or not, it's really at that time wat is happening.
My fren with high bp gd was a more serious case, that's why gotta take the bb out before 37wk by csect, after all, both the mother n baby are doing well, the kid already 5 or 6 yo Liao.
Don't worry.

Are mummies here gaining weight healthily? I am now W33 but don't seem to be gaining much since I started GDM diet. Just hope my bb is gaining weight.

Are mummies here gaining weight healthily? I am now W33 but don't seem to be gaining much since I started GDM diet. Just hope my bb is gaining weight.

W35 now and only gain about 6.8kg and bb weight at W32 is 2.1kg.
I also on GDM diet but bb is gaining weight okay leh.
Don't think mother's weight gain and bb weight correlates that much lah.
Sometimes mother put on a lot weight but bb came out very light.

My previous pregnancies don't have GD. I put on average 8kg and bb came out around W37-38, ranging from 2.8 - 2.9kg.
I think this time round will be also around there for me even I'm on GDM.

W35 now and only gain about 6.8kg and bb weight at W32 is 2.1kg.
I also on GDM diet but bb is gaining weight okay leh.
Don't think mother's weight gain and bb weight correlates that much lah.
Sometimes mother put on a lot weight but bb came out very light.

My previous pregnancies don't have GD. I put on average 8kg and bb came out around W37-38, ranging from 2.8 - 2.9kg.
I think this time round will be also around there for me even I'm on GDM.
coz my last scan my bb is pretty small so I am worried. My gynae also mentioned if BB's growth is retarded, he will induce me at W37. I really hope he can stay bit longer to gain some weight.

@Skivewalker How are u now? Hope u feel better now.

That time I only put on abt 7kg, bb at birth abt 3kg.

Some how it's very difficult to understand how bb gain weight inside our body, sometimes depends on how much mummy can pass the nutrients to bb, on the other hand also depends how much bb can absorb. Dont think there is correlation to how much we gain. So long as bb show a steady and reasonable growth is ok.
GDM diet will slow down your overall weight gain,this is for sure, but to bb it really depends.
Towards the last couple of weeks the overall weigh of mummy may drop also due to centre of gravity which is pretty normal.

coz my last scan my bb is pretty small so I am worried. My gynae also mentioned if BB's growth is retarded, he will induce me at W37. I really hope he can stay bit longer to gain some weight.

I put on ard 6kg prior to being on gdm diet. Ever since gdm diet never put on any more. Gynea says it's alright as long as bb is growing. Wk 31 now.

If u dun mind, small is how small at what week. Cos it seems diff gynea might have slight diff ideas abt big or small with range of 2-300g. My gynea seems alright w 1.4-1.5kg at wk 30.

Today I went to KKH for routine check up, doctor said need to induce by 37weeks, previously was saying induce by 38weeks. Hmm.... Don't know why the induce date keep changing.

Actually is it true GDM mom will have bigger baby? At 35weeks i gained 16kg, baby weight only 2.6.. But. Y weight din increase for 3 weeks. I didnt follow with the GDM diet cos it made even more hungry n crave for mire food.
@MTB-2015 On what basis did ur gynae intro to induce at 37wks?? I thinking of inducing in 1-2weeks time too..

I put on ard 6kg prior to being on gdm diet. Ever since gdm diet never put on any more. Gynea says it's alright as long as bb is growing. Wk 31 now.

If u dun mind, small is how small at what week. Cos it seems diff gynea might have slight diff ideas abt big or small with range of 2-300g. My gynea seems alright w 1.4-1.5kg at wk 30.
At W30, my bb was 1.27kg, they mentioned at 7th percentile.

Actually is it true GDM mom will have bigger baby? At 35weeks i gained 16kg, baby weight only 2.6.. But. Y weight din increase for 3 weeks. I didnt follow with the GDM diet cos it made even more hungry n crave for mire food.
@MTB-2015 On what basis did ur gynae intro to induce at 37wks?? I thinking of inducing in 1-2weeks time too..
No true. I have GDM but BB is on the small side. And it also depends whether ur blood sugar is high or low I think. I am on the low side so I suspect that's why my bb not very big. I think it's bit tough to manage GDM diet especially if u r working. Cos the food outside really has alot of hidden sugar in soup, marinates etc. Even too oily can disrupt the sugar level.

image.jpg

Dun worry is not very small lah . Also they go thru growth spur. Sometimes 2 days diff they can grow a lot.

Hmm should be ok... I think my bb was not much diff then that around that gestational wk also. Wk30 is still early to tell, most of the growth really kick in I think is the last 1-1.5mths. Eat more protein food may help, most important stay positive and get enough rest.

don't worry.. from the chart, bb still ok.. I think if bb too small, gynae would advise you accordingly.
my friend, her bb too small.. I think only 2kg at the last few weeks.. and her gynae advise her to carbo load her diet.. so she took durian, more meat etc.. so baby spur weight at the last stage.. to around 2.7.. healthy bb

Wah gdm cannot take durian
ya lor.. that's what I know also... my friend says she was really puzzled.. when she kena gdm, she cut down on all the sweet stuffs and control her craves for durians... haha... then at the last stage, ask her to eat.. she don't have the crave anymore and the durian , sweetness she cannot tahan... such extreme...
well, no choice, for the sake for her LO, force herself to eat ....

don't worry.. from the chart, bb still ok.. I think if bb too small, gynae would advise you accordingly.
my friend, her bb too small.. I think only 2kg at the last few weeks.. and her gynae advise her to carbo load her diet.. so she took durian, more meat etc.. so baby spur weight at the last stage.. to around 2.7.. healthy bb
carbo also got diff kinds... e.g. white bread vs multi grain bread. tHe former.is hugh GI

Today i went see my gynae.. week35 bb weight ard 2.4kg.. then they asked me to do blood test to check glucose level in the past 3 mths.. coz my daily glucose check is always not complete.. I always missed 1-2 readings out of 7 consecutive readings.. got scolded sia.. luckily my bb weight is at normal range..

Today i went see my gynae.. week35 bb weight ard 2.4kg.. then they asked me to do blood test to check glucose level in the past 3 mths.. coz my daily glucose check is always not complete.. I always missed 1-2 readings out of 7 consecutive readings.. got scolded sia.. luckily my bb weight is at normal range..
hi isenggirl, the rest of the readings are still within?

ya lor.. that's what I know also... my friend says she was really puzzled.. when she kena gdm, she cut down on all the sweet stuffs and control her craves for durians... haha... then at the last stage, ask her to eat.. she don't have the crave anymore and the durian , sweetness she cannot tahan... such extreme...
well, no choice, for the sake for her LO, force herself to eat ....
If my gynae allows, I would love to eat! But honestly after starting this gdm diet I feel much healthier which is a plus point.

Wow... Your gynae so strict one .... The rest of reading taken are ok should be fine..

Back