First trimester mucus plug out and bleeding

Mizzono

Hi everyone, as background, I am 37 years old, diabetic and have high blood pressure diagnosed about a year ago. Found out I was pregnant on May 13 and first day of period was April 6. So I should be 8 weeks pregnant now, This would be my 3rd pregnancy. My first and second kids are already 9 and 6 years old.
This morning I had something like a bloody show, mucus-like, thick and bloody. We went to KKH obgyn A&E. The doc said baby is just 6mm, no heartbeat nor movement. We have cried our eyes out at the news but could it be that baby is actually 5 weeks old and that it is too early to have a heartbeat? Anyone has any similar experience or know of any mommy with preexisting diabetes and high blood pressure and gave birth to healthy baby? Would like to know your/their experience.. thanks!

Just an update: Today I started cramping and bleeding like menses. Cramps like mini labour. Tomorrow going to meet Dr Tham at TMC, see what he says. Maybe will prescribe meds to quicken the expulsion.

Just back from seeing Dr Benjamin Tham at TMC. A very thick blood clot that looked like a mini placenta came out this morning. He scanned and said there’s a bit of tissue left so he prescribed antibiotics to prevent infection.

He was reassuring initially until I told him of my pre existing health condition. He asked what was my HBA1C count. I didn’t know what that was at first. Then I thought maybe he is asking for my glucose level. I’m not too well versed with medical terms. But I know from my last blood test 3 month ago my glucose level was in the good range. He said his 85 year old father also can remember his HBa1c count/level. I thought that was very harsh. Maybe he thought I am trying to hide my numbers. Why would I? He only softened abit when I started to tear. Then he said it’s not me. Statistics show that women in my age range suffers miscarriage 1 in 3 or something. I am grieving my loss. My emotions were all over the place.

I cried all the way home. I went to him because he was very reassuring to me 9 years ago. I know I will be in good hands. He does say things bluntly if he thinks you need to hear it. But a bit of more sympathy and tact could have been shown to grieving couples.

Anyway, I am still reassured by his wide experience and honesty. If we happen to conceive again, we may still seek his advice and expertise. Only this time, we will cushion our hearts better.

Back