Dr Irene Chua (Glen E) or Dr Joycelyn Wong (TMC)?

babiebreath

Dear all,

i am a mtb..this is my first pregancy and hence will like to make sure that i make the right choice in choosing my gynae.

I would very much like to have a natural birth (with epi definitely, as i have low threshold for pain)..and preferably a female gynae.. hence after reading in the forum, i had zoom down my list to 2, Dr Irene Chua & Dr Joycelyn Wong.

Would really appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on who should i settle with for my first bb?

Thanks in advance!

Dr Joycelyn wong is a nice doc with personal touch.
But she has no package. She is good at normal delivery and her stitching is good.
her c section skill is not soso only.

I took Dr irene chua for my first pregnancy in 2012. I feel very comfortable talking to her bout anything n everything.. I emailed her a few times to ask her some silly qns as it was my first pregnancy n i had lots of qns, n she will reply on the same day itself.

I had a natural delivery wit epidural. Everything went smoothly. Her stitching is gd.

We had a choice on which hospital to deliver at.. Mount Alvernia, Gleneagles n another hospi which i cant remember. I chose mount Alvernia. I was at 10cm in e early morning ard 5 plus and dr chua came in really fast..

Im currently pregnant and we are still with Dr Chua.. Two thumbs up for her!

I am with DR Joycelyn Wong. I had yet given birth before, been ttc for 4 years, done a few IUIs, I had miscarriages before, Dr Wong handled the IUIs, D&C, checks and scans pretty well. Very gentle lady. I am very comfortable with her. She even gave me her personal email address to ask her any queries that I have, so it saves me time & money to go down for consultation and also the waiting time.

I think a lot lies in the chemistry between yourself and the gynae, perhaps arrange for a consultation and have a talk with them, see which one you are most comfortable with.

hi all,
thanks for the comments! hmm...but seems like not alot of mummies have seen these 2 gynaes huh?
yah im very concerned about choosing a good and patient gynae who can answer all my silly questions (esp since this is my first time!)

yup princessleopard, i'll be making a trip down to see Dr Chua first and to check out the "chemistry" (Dr Wong's appointment is so long! and the nurses doesnt sound very friendly over the phone, which makes me wonder if i should consider the hospital & nurses too, since we will probably not see the Dr until the very last min during delivery?)

Yup, DR Wong getting popular over the years, moreover last mth, there was a article about top 10 gynaes in SG, she was first. So, that's why. If you book weekend, sure have to wait very long, if go weekdays, you can get earlier appt. About the nurses, I never have problem with them, they were very nice and concerned throughout my IUIs sessions and miscarriages there.

I believed both gynaes are great cos they had a lot good comments. Just go with your feel. Good luck!

thanks princessleopard! yup being a kiasu me, also booked an appointment with Dr Wong, just that will be much later...;)
so have you decided to deliver in TMC?

Yup, I will go for water birth if possible, as TMC have that facilities. I loved swimming a lot, I feel at ease in the water, so I think it will be good for me. :)

omg waterbirth! i'm also thinking about that, but i don't know if either gynae have any experience before...hee, but i guess after Dr Wong help you, she'll have at least 1 experience.. :p
do share your experience too after giving birth!

oh btw, in case you want to know, i did searched before seems like only Raffles and NUH fully support water birth.. TMC and Mount A can provide such service, but don't seem to be supporting this..

Yes I know. You can stay in the water till you are about to give birth. But the other 2 are govt hosp, which are not under consideration of mine & hubby. Too bad!

Im with dr wong for my 3 kids. A gentle and caring doc. Her stitching is good. Can start walking normally the next day. Furthermore she encourages natural delivery. Her nurses are friendly. I had no problems with them. Just that her waiting time is long.

Dr Jocelyn Wong for both my pregnancies. She is extremely caring and assuring :) Stitching skills is good, next day I can walk around liao.. And I feel very comfortable with her :) Just that she is very popular now, so waiting time can be quite long. But I feel she is worth the wait :)

My first 2 r with dr wong too.. nw just tested with #3 and I heard dr wong is very pop nw and no more maternity package anymore..

Dr Irene Chua delivered my son last aug at gleneagles hospital. I must say I really have a very good experience and enjoyable pregnancy journey with her.

She always cleared all my doubts and silly qns.. And always prompt on her reply.. I delivered via natural delivery and her stitches are good! I can start walking the next day!

I will go back to her again when I'm expecting my second child!

Yes I know. You can stay in the water till you are about to give birth. But the other 2 are govt hosp, which are not under consideration of mine & hubby. Too bad!

Actually now you can deliver in the water in TMC too. That's water birth. If just stay in water for pain relief but cannot deliver in the water, that's hydrotherapy. My gynae at TMC explained it to me recently. So both water birth and hydrotherapy are available in TMC but subject to availability cos there are only 2 birthing tubs there.

Actually now you can deliver in the water in TMC too. That's water birth. If just stay in water for pain relief but cannot deliver in the water, that's hydrotherapy. My gynae at TMC explained it to me recently. So both water birth and hydrotherapy are available in TMC but subject to availability cos there are only 2 birthing tubs there.

Really? That's good news! Thanks for letting me know :)

Dr Jocelyn Wong only operate her clinic at Thomson Medical Centre at normal office hour. Saturday half day till 2pm.

@tae-yang , mine delivered on august 13 estimated 9k plus emergency c-sect. (By Jocelyn Wong)
Total bill :$9,055.00
Medisave deduct: $3,950.00
Deposit : $1,800 cash
Bal : $3,305
Claim from Great Eastern Life- SupremeHealth Plan : $4,691
4 bedded (4D3N)

im also with dr wong. currently expecting #3. her stitching skills is gd and can walk the next day. no pain at all.
but her waiting time is quite long even if appt..

mine is dr Irene chua.. nice lady.. I had her as my gyane for my 1st kid.. now 2nd one.. I stick to her too.. nice lady..

hi i am a newbie here.. just wanna find out for dr irene chua.. is her charges expensive compared to others? What are her delivery charges like?

Her price is above average but compare to others she gives result fast. Oscar and details scan she usually will call u within the day or next. Some friends from other clinic will take weeks to know result.
She used to work in kkh and has excellent track record.

Hi, can check those mummies with Dr Irene Chua, how much does she charge for Oscar Scan? she did it in her clinic or being referred to other hospitals?
Thanks!

Hi, can check those mummies with Dr Irene Chua, how much does she charge for Oscar Scan? she did it in her clinic or being referred to other hospitals?
Thanks!
Hi Yvet,

Oscar and detailed scan is sub out to a clinic in Novena. The combined packaged price is about 500+ to 600.

For Dr Irene Chua her visits will be at her Gleneagles clinic? Do some of you find it inconvenient to travel there?

Usually i opt for late afternoon appointment (after 3pm) not so packed and easily to find parking lot at the hospital.

HI All,

Dr Joycelyn Wong recently delivered my girl back in July. i have nothing but good things to say about her.. :) she is gentle and patient throughout all my consultations with her and on the big day, it was her decisiveness and experience that "saved" me from having a C sect. I had a total of 23 hours labour and my waterbag burst about 18 hours before, due to the side effects of epi, i was dehydrated and started developing fever.

I was worried i will infect my little one,so i told the nurse to check how dilated i was and she said 6cm only :( so i told her to inform Dr Wong that i will opt for C Sect because i was very very worried about my baby. shortly after Dr Wong came and gently told me if i really want to go for C sect, she will definitely do it for me but before that, she will like to check my dilation again. Thankfully she checked because i was suddenly dilated to 8 cm! so she encouraged me to wait just abit more :)

And during the labour, she was really quick to make decisions for the best interest of my baby and i, so she helped me to deliver in a few mins via forceps. thankfully my baby's forcep marks faded away a few days later:)

All in all.. my husband and i are really really grateful to Dr Wong and i will definitely go back to her and TMC for my future pregnancies :)

Back