Dr Esther Ng Shwu Yong from Esther Ng Clinic & Surgery for Women

Tein

Hi mummies,

Just wanna share my experience with Dr Esther Ng. She has two clinics, one at Tanjong Katong and the other at Mt Alvernia.

We wanted to deliver our second child at Parkway East Hospital as it is closer to home and will be more convenient for my hubby. After doing some research, I settled for Dr Esther Ng because (1) she delivers at Parkway East, (2) her clinic is nearby, and (3) I didn't find any negative reviews on her.

She wasn't my first choice but after seeing her for the first time when I was about 6 weeks along, we were quite comfortable with her and decided to continue seeing her.

My second pregnancy was fraught with issues right from the start. I started spotting around the 6th week, and it continued throughout the pregnancy. One day the blood would be bright red, the next few days it would turn brown, then I would be "clean" for a few days, and then the cycle starts again.

Dr Esther couldn't find the source of the bleeding, and since I wasn't experiencing any cramps, she told me that maybe I am just "one of those women who bled during pregnancy for no obvious reasons". She assured us that we are alright, but gave me mc to stay home and rest anyway, just to be sure.

Around 25 weeks, I started feeling a bit "crampy". She told us to go to KKH to do a fetal monitoring just in case. She said it is also good to "leave a record" with KKH in case we need to go back for whatever reasons. I also did a vaginal swab just to check if I have any infections. Turns out to be negative.

At 26 weeks, I started getting a fishy, greenish discharge. I went to her and she said "green fishy discharge is normal!" My hubby and I gaped ... how could green fishy discharge be normal? We confirmed with her again and she insisted it's normal. To be sure, I requested to do another vaginal swab. She said she doesn't usually do this unless there is something to suspect but since we insist, she will do it.

Unfortunately, even before we get the results of the swab, my water broke 4 days later. I rushed to KKH and was hospitalised immediately, trying very hard to hold on to my baby. Sadly, my poor little baby boy was delivered 5 days later at the grand gestational age of 27 weeks and 6 days ......

I called Dr Esther's clinic on the 2nd day of my hospitalisation and requested to speak to her. Her assistant said she's busy, so I told her what happened, and she said she will get Dr Esther to call me once she's free.

She never did.

2 weeks later, the same assistant called to ask how I was doing. I told her I had given birth and my baby is in the NICU. She said she will tell Dr Esther and I never hear from them again.

I have been thinking, would things have been different if I had gone to another doctor? Someone who thinks that green fishy discharge actually means some trouble is brewing and we needed help?

I also think, the least she could do was to call me back and show me that she cares. After all, we were under her care for the duration of my short but eventful pregnancy. Surely she has enough time to make a short phone call. Her clinic was never busy anyway. I was really disappointed and disgusted with her attitude.

I recently found out that in 2001, she was suspended from practice for three months for repeatedly failing to submit her clinic's accounts to IRAS. The Singapore Medical Council (SMC) said in a statement yesterday that Dr Ng's multiple convictions implied a 'defect in character which made her unfit for the medical profession'. There were other cases after 2001. I guess that speaks volume of her character.

Dear mummies, please be careful if you are under her care.

Last edited:

thanks for sharing . i hope your baby is ok now. some doctors are often very nice at first till things crop up later on. but i hope you and your baby are doing fine now.

thanks for sharing . i hope your baby is ok now. some doctors are often very nice at first till things crop up later on. but i hope you and your baby are doing fine now.

Thanks sierrastorm, we are very good. In fact baby will be turning one in three weeks time! Took me quite a while to finally decide to write a review on her .... ☺

Hello mummy..I happened to come across this thread when I was googling for Dr Esther even though I'm in my 3rd pregnancy currently - first 2 were delivered by her at Mount Alvernia. I hope you're doing good now. :)

This is the online world where anything can be said without actual proof. I'm sorry to know of your experience, however my experience is of the complete opposite. She is a very confident and caring doc, which explains the long list of patients under her. The flaw with her clinic though, is the very long waiting time on Saturdays and average 30min wait on Tuesdays, so I'm surprised that you said her clinic was never busy. I usually go to the Tanjong Katong branch on Saturdays and the wait is always around 1 hour plus long.

She has nearly 30 years of experience as an obstetrician and I'm sure patients under her care know how to judge for themselves on her character and attitude. For me, I'm very happy with her services - albeit pricey - and will continue to see her although I would be too busy for a number 4, ha.

Hi mummy, congratulations on your 3rd pregnancy! I guess you are still seeing Dr Esther?

You are right in saying that anything can be said in this online world. There is no way to tell whether what is said is true or otherwise. I always take forum posts, particularly good sterling reviews, with a huge pinch of salt. Nothing beats experiencing it yourself.

It's good that you are happy with her and I'm sure there are many mummies out there who share your sentiment. I am sure she is an experienced ob/gyn since she has been practicing for 30 years.

I can only say it is unfortunate that I do not have a good experience with her which is why I feel compelled to share my story. In any case, I'm just glad that this episode is over and my baby boy is healthy and thriving despite being so premature.

I wish you the best of health and a smooth pregnancy!

Back