Can claim Medishield?

Hi ladies, can we claim from medishield if hospitalised due to pregnancy dehydration? I've been vomiting all day this week despite taking medication and I think that I may eventually have to be hospitalised if this continues. I'm worried about the potential hospital bill as I'm still in the early pregnancy stage and I've been forewarned by doctor that I may require hospitalisation as my pregnancy progress due to my health condition.

Last edited:

Hi ladies, can we claim from medishield if hospitalised due to pregnancy dehydration? I've been vomiting all day this week despite taking medication and I think that I may eventually have to be hospitalised if this continues. I'm worried about the potential hospital bill as I'm still in the early pregnancy stage and I've been forewarned by doctor that I may require hospitalisation as my pregnancy progress due to my health condition.

@TwinnyStars, for Medishield, there is a deductible of $1,500 (if I'm not wrong) involved. Therefore, if your bill size doesn't exceed $1,500, you could make the payment via medisave. There are daily claimable caps which would usually covered Class B2 and Class C ward stays.

During my 1st trimester, I had a severe episode of dehydration as well due to 'all day sickness'. Up to the point where I was losing 1kg of water every day for a week (total 7kg loss). So my GP referred me to head to the A&E right away. The gynae at A&E offered me 3 options, go home and rest with medication (she prescribed domperidone) or do drips or get hospitalized. She gave me 1 week of hospitalization leave to rest at home and sleep it off. It helps to a certain extent as it reduces the giddiness which aggravates the nausea feeling. I didn't take in any water but just 100 plus or pocari sweat. Folks had also suggested ginger ale. See if these helps for you :)

Hi mawby84, I'm already staying at home and declined all projects since pregnant. I've been vomiting for the past two weeks and seems to be getting worse as not able to take in any fluid. I can't take in too sweet drinks as I'm at risk of developing diabetes.

I'm hoping that we can claim from Medishield after the co-deductibles just in case I need extended or multiple hospital stays. If cannot claim, then I'll need to prepare for it both mentally and financially.

Hi mawby84, I'm already staying at home and declined all projects since pregnant. I've been vomiting for the past two weeks and seems to be getting worse as not able to take in any fluid. I can't take in too sweet drinks as I'm at risk of developing diabetes.

I'm hoping that we can claim from Medishield after the co-deductibles just in case I need extended or multiple hospital stays. If cannot claim, then I'll need to prepare for it both mentally and financially.

@TwinnyStars, Maybe it helps to get an indication from your gynae on the expected duration of stay (if you do get admitted)? To be conservative, go to govt hospital and opt for Class C ward?

Do not think so much about the costs for now and try your best to rest well. Remember that your baby will feel how you feel :)

I think you're able to claim from medishield however i will suggest you not to worry too much on the hospitalization fees yet. Just fully focus on your health and baby first, they are your priority and worry the fees afterward :)

Hi mawby84 & liciachai, thanks for your advice. Will try to rest as much as I can. Been feeling tired and unable to do anything. Hope this phase will pasd soon.

Hi mawby84 & liciachai, thanks for your advice. Will try to rest as much as I can. Been feeling tired and unable to do anything. Hope this phase will pasd soon.

@TwinnyStars, 1 thing for sure, this phase will pass :) One comfort note which my gynae shared... the worse your morning sickness is, its a sign that the baby is growing well :) Till now, I never had the time to google but I believe its something to do with the hormones.

Though you don't feel well but think positively. It's the little things you do now for your well-being and your baby :)

No worries!! :) I'm pretty sure you will be bale to pass this phase. Just continue to hang on there and be strong always. Think of your baby as part of your motivation :)

Back