Advice Needed - Baby Having Blocked Nose

Hi ladies,
My baby's only 2 wks old and been having blocked/runny nose. We also can't sleep without aircon as room is very small and humid even with a very strong fan blowing around.

Is the sterimar nasal spray too forceful? Karvol only recommended for infants 3 months and above ley... pls help.

PD has assured us exactly what Mrs P has mentioned but baby's having difficulty breathing and jolts awake in middle of sleep due to blocked nose which is heartbreaking to watch. I even tried sucking with my mouth and managed to get some out but i know there are more clots stuck deeper inside. Afraid my sucking will hurt him. Tried the aspirator, tollyjoy, but stopped cos got a little out only and afraid will expand his nostrils.

Very desperate.. for around a week liao... since he was born i noticed he's got a bit blocked nose but nurses say it's fine. After we brought him back it started to get a bit worse. But is it Really fine?? I've got to do something right?? Even though he's feeding fine?

Use a nasal digger to dig nose shit ... IT works well for my 1mth bb .... The nasal digger has 1 side cotton butt and the other side a digger (which looks like those ear digger) .. Kiddy palace can buy .. Tollyjoy brand .. Good luck ;)

My 3 wks old son also has blocked nose when he is brought into a aircon rm. N he make those sniffing snotting sound like as if he has diffculti breathing. He couldnt sleep well cos cant breathe n ve to carry him most time as he feels most comfortable n can only breathe easy when i carried him. So i check his nose n discovered sm dried mucus at the back of his small nostril. I went to isetan to get a small nosepick meant for babies. I bring him to a bright area then put the nosepick inside n pull out the "macus"...wahhhh...it was huge! No wonder he cant breathe! Now he has no more blocked/ breathing problems..feel relieved cos i was thinking of bringing him to doc to get nose drops but decide to try this method myself 1st. My sis-inlaw told me tat if the nurses at the hosp didnt clear the baby's nose throughly after birth tis will usuali occur but i duno how true lah. Anyway, if any mothers wan to try my method pls DO ve a steady hand n if baby cry cos uncomfortable to ve smthing in their nose, DO stop n try only again next day or bring to doc for nosedrops.

Put baby on bassinet to sleep at nite helps. cos the elevation makes it more comfortable for them..

my bb has this problem also... pillow not so comfortable as rest of body flat while head propped up.. bassinet has a more natural eleaation..

use iliadin nose drops, shd be quite safe.. my PD not in favor of nose 'sucker' to plump it out

my 2mth + baby is also havin this problem but on and off. we use the fan, she also have this problem. initially we use the presbribed nasal drop, but still have the problem. now we let baby sleep sideway. this is slightly better, but on night when it is very serious, we still use the drops.

hi pkum,

last yr my son had dis prob too.but i did not give him nose drop coz i read/heard dat nose drop is not gd n no effective at all.gave him medicine fm doctor oso no effective.so i went to watson n relay my prob to the pharmacists.he recommend me OLBAS OIL.i gave a try n it is v v v effective!!!my son sleep thru d nite, he did not hv breathing difficulty.it's v simple. juz put 1 drop of OLBAS OIL on a pc of tissue n pl it under d pillow..(i suggest u to ask d pharmacists 1st b4 trying out coz ur bb is only 2mths old).now i kip 1 big btl of olbas oil at hm.u can try it out...

hi omma, thanks! she was having blocked nose again ytd.. the drops doesnt work and sleepin sideway oso doesnt work! we will check out the OLBAS oil tml. hope it works for us!

I let BB wear socks and rub chest rub on his chest
happy.gif

hey if not u can get the baby vick type. I got it at KKH pharmacy, is for baby only. My boy very often has nose block and flue. Tout of giving him the injection leh.... ANy 1 has comment???

Can try Childlife Colostrum to build up their immune system?
How old are your kids?

Our 4.5 & 3 yr old just went to polyclinic to take flu injection last friday.
happy.gif

hihi, i am chaingin my aircon to those with ioniser feature for cleaner air. heard should be able to help babies or adults with nose problems! if still, cannot help, i will bring in a humidifier...

leng leng>> today i went out forgot to look out for the chest rubs again.. watson or guardian selling it?

lengleng> currently i'm stayin with my mum, and movin back to sk this fri. we are using fan all along for these 3 months. i guess is the bad air, as my father usually smoke in the living room, that's y we are moving to our own house now.

Use baby vicks to rub on their feet and after tat wear with a sock. Very effective to clear blocking nose. Try it ...

Agreed with Jie.
apply vicks at the bottom of their feet and put on socks. Flu gets in when their feet are cold. Best place for baby to sleep is a well ventilated spacious room. In my 3 room HDB flat, is living hall. My girl sleep well in living room.

I suspect my baby has stuffy nose but i'm not sure. He sure sounds like he's got blocked nose but also got a lot of flam.

It's awful for the parents and i'm sure it's making him feel uncomfortable. Does saline drops or using cotton bud works? Bought saline drops and nasal aspirator. Tried twice but doesn't seem to suck out anything.

Pls help.

Is yr baby sleeping in the aircon rm? Since birth my 8 mths old always ve stuffy nose when sleepin in the aircon so wat I did was I bought a humidifier n it does help in easing his breathing.

I also elevate him by putting soft towels under his head when he sleep in his cot or on my bed. N smtimes also let him sleep in his day-bed which is inclinable in 3 position. Both help too.

Smtimes when the weather is not so hot, I will on the aircon 1 hr b4 his bed time so tat the rm will be cool, then I let him sleep in it for abt another 1hr b4 turning off the aircon n turning on the fan to rotate the cool air. I usually use this method for the nighttime. Daytime I let him sleep in the living hall w/ fan. I also let him sleep on his side hugging a bolster buts tats when he's abt 3 mths old. It helps too.

I do not use drops or cotton buds on normal situations unless he is nursing a cold becos he hates it n will cry n u may accidently hurt him when he struggles. If I do c a huge mucus in his nose n if it is the culprit, I use a nose picker (meant for babies) instead after he slept. But do be careful using this too. If baby dun like, then stick to drops.

Dun wori though, When tey r older, the stuffy nose situation will get better cos their airway will also grow wider as tey grow making breathing easier.

However if its still a concern to u, do bring it up to yr pediatric the next time the baby has his jab.

u can rub baby vick behind his ears n the front/back chests.U can get the vicks fr Guardian/Watson.I prefer the teatree oil based vicks(can't rememb the name) which only available at Unity.
the best time to clear his nose mucus is after his bath time,coz the mucus will b wet n easily to tak out.
Of coz,the best is to let him sleep on non aircon room(if weather permits)

Hi Jess and Avocado. Thanks for the tip. We are living in Perth so the air is drier than Spore. I went to see the doctor (GP) and he just said everything's fine. No need for any medicine or humidifier. Wonder if he really knows what he's doing.

I just hate hearing that 'full of flam' breathing. I get worried and cannot sleep well. Keep thinking he's having difficulty breathing.

Tried using cotton bud with saline drops to help clear his nose. At least he doesn't cry like someone's torturing him. The nasal aspirator is useless. He's 2 days short of 1st month. Can i use vick on him?

I will try the elevated sleeping position. If all else fails, will see paediatrician.

does any1 has a cure for blocked nose? my hubby having SERIOUS block nose everyday. after bath will sneeze very loud for quit long. in the middle of the night , if wake up to go toilet, he cant sleep back for hours cos the nose block, making him very terrible... somemore he always drink many water, i oso no noe y like this.

he say nose like got much dirt and need to sneeze out, hope u guys have a way for me... this is happening everyday so c doc oso no use cos medicine finish still come back.

hope that there be a way to cure it completely

After my 1st BB, i had this terrible sinus which i strongly believe due to night feeds and lack of exercise. Went to Nature Farm and pharmacist recommended odorless organic garlic. I followed faithfully the intake and 'recovered', and does not experience it after the 2nd birth *touch-wood*, hee. Alternatively, try brand Kordel.

when my son has colds, i give honey plus oregano extract (son is 15months old).. then i put sinus oil in our humidifier then put eucalyptus oil on his back..

for blocked nose, try sterimar.. it softens the mucus..

Hi Pia

You mean you give your son honey added with oregano extract? How is the proportion like?

Where did you buy oregano extract?

How you administer it?

Hi all

Stumbled upon this thread such a long time later....but still very thankful for some of the advice here. This is really good archived info which I think many new mummies would be relieved to find in times of need. So I thought I should share a few useful info.

Many years back when my baby was only 3-4 months old, she also had this blocked nose problem due to GINORMOUS Bi-sai (nose shit)! I only knew about it when the PD told me and she is the coolest most skilled and confident PD I’ve ever come across at least at for removing Bi-sai. Her name is Dr Chan Kit Yee from SBCC at Mt Alvernia. She used a small cottonbud and literally dug out the Ginormous Bi-sai in 1 swipe! Me, my husband our helper GASPed in disbelieve and shock when the dark green offensive HUGE bi-sai came out! We were all thinking "no way that could have come out from that tiny little nostril" and before we could even finish thinking our tots.. Swish!...Another GINORMOUS Bi-sai was swiped out from the other nostril!! All I could say then was "OMG! OMG! OMG!". Dr Chan probably tot I was siao...!

Then days later the problem came back, it was at night so we couldn't go to Dr Chan but we tot "aiyah, surely any PD will know how to dig bi-sai" Oh noooo……How very very wrong we were!! We went to Pediatric Centre at TMC, the dr on duty was this biggish guy (can't recall his name now). I remembered apart from wanting to cry at how my bb was being tortured, I wanted to stuff my fist up that PD's nostrils!! He used the big cottonbud (the more conventional type) to dig. I mean come on! My girl was a few months old only! So as even a moron can guess, instead of digging the bi-sai out, he pushed it deeper and deeper in! I even took out a small cottonbud and offered it to him and that idiot said no need for that!!! SO after he packed tightly the BIG bi-sai Deeeeep into the recesses of my poor bb's nose, he finally finally (thank goodness and PRAISE THE LORD for that!) realised his method was not going to work so he next decided to spray my poor bb's nostril with nasal spray and he did it so mercilessly, so roughly, so clumsily and inhumanely I swear I tot my bb was going to drown!!

Anyway, here are the key take aways from the above experiences:

(1) Need a PD to dig out your bb's bisai, go to Dr Chan Kit Yee (btw, she's not just good at that, she also dug out the chunks of dirt from my bb's belly button causing lots of commotion (from me, my husband, our helper) in the form of "OMGs!", Disbelieving gasps and forehead slapping...anyway, that's another story...Plus she is generally an excellent, experienced and skilled PD).

(2) Altho the bisais were GINORMOUS, we couldn't see it even though we (me, my husband and our helper) took turns to shine torchlight into bb's nostril which really didn't do much for bb except blind and irritate her. So do not be deceived by these cunning and deadly BIG bi-sais that know how to camouflage themselves! If you can’t see the bi-sai, it doesn’t mean its not there!

The other info I want to share from my other experience are these:
(3) the bi-sai suction thingny generally does not work… however! There is one that does or at least does a better job than the kind which you need to squeeze and release, squeeze and release…. It’s the type that requires you to use your mouth to suck from a connecting small tube. Don’t worry, the bi-sai is sucked into a separate chamber and does not end up in your mouth. I cannot recall the brand but I think most well-stocked shops selling bb stuffs would carry them.

(4) do not smear vapour rubs of any sorts onto or near bb’s nostril. Read an article that the danger is not skin irritation etc but suffocation!!! BBs that are very young, especially those types who are swaddled during sleep are totally helpless if the slab of goo is restricting their air passage….and don’t think a thin thin layer is harmless! Just play safe and don’t apply there….the body and back is ok.

Back