(2014/08) August 2014

Your milk flow is good, how old your bb now and can share your diet? My bb is 20 days old n I latch her on demand 2-3 hourly but other times I can only pump out 40-70ml from both sides..

My bb is 17 days old. My diet nothing special leh...I eat chicken/fish and drink chicken/fish soup every meal and whenever possible...also drink red date water daily...

Hi..i store my frozen bm 'lying down'...save space.
Can i ask mummies out there..do u all get emotional and feel like crying during confinement?
I
I do get stressed and emotional over my hubby behavior. I need his present when I'm latching the baby even he can't do much help. But being there is a morale support as some times latching baby is very challenging.

My hubby came back from business trip on fri and left again today.We haven't spoke about the photo so i dont want to think about it anymore. i can only confide to my massage lady and also talk to my bb. My bb is my everything now.
confinement period is so tough...tougher than pregnancy...

My hubby came back from business trip on fri and left again today.We haven't spoke about the photo so i dont want to think about it anymore. i can only confide to my massage lady and also talk to my bb. My bb is my everything now.
confinement period is so tough...tougher than pregnancy...
This post pregnancy period is definitely a more difficult and emotional time for mummies, with a newborn , hormonal changes , lack of sleep etc.
Stay happy for your little bb. If you need listening ear, we are here for you.
Maybe the pictures really mean nothing to your husband.

the first 2 mths are usually the toughest. things will get better. esp when bb is 6mths old onwards then bb will become more interactive & that's where things get more interesting, can look forward to his many new milestones like weaning, sitting, crawling, first words, etc. hang in there mummies!!

btw I'm getting another really bad plugged duct. arragghhrr!! really tiring.

I got menses like bleeding now. Shld I go hospital immediately? Or wait for contractions to happen first?

I went to see my gynae first and showed her photos of the bleed. It was a lot, but she said it was the show and mucus plug. I bled for 23 hours and had regular contractions, every 5 mins for 5 hours before I checked into the hospital.

My water bag burst 2hrs after bloody show. And delivered 2hrs after water bag burst... Better check in and be monitored? Safer... I had to rush to the hospital in morn peak hr traffic, very stressful for the heart...

Hi Mummies, may i know what is this mucus plug thingy that u all have been mentioning? thanks for explaining oh.. :)

My bb is 17 days old. My diet nothing special leh...I eat chicken/fish and drink chicken/fish soup every meal and whenever possible...also drink red date water daily...

Me too almost same diet but I still cant store milk cos milk is just right only...not sufficient to store.
My baby is 25days old liao.

btw I'm getting another really bad plugged duct. arragghhrr!! really tiring.

Am awake at this hour trying to pump and also struggling with a blocked duct.

Tried hot towel and massage w pumping still unable to clear after 2 tries. Now breast throbbing w pain. Not sure if I shld sleep n risk waking up w more pain?

Alr pumped twice tonite and no relief in the blockage and swelling.

Any advice when to get lactation consultant? Massage lady coming at 2pm later, more than 12hrs wait...

Help! First time mommy dont know what to do
My baby vomited abruptly yesterday n today.. day time is doing fine but just now vomited again.
My baby is having BM.. was said stomach got wind n applied ru yi medicated oil but she had hard time sleeping just now..from 1030 made noises till now.. she's hungry but she vomited cant give her too much. Poo n urine so far ok..whats wrong?

Tried hot towel and massage w pumping still unable to clear after 2 tries. Now breast throbbing w pain. Not sure if I shld sleep n risk waking up w more pain?

Any advice when to get lactation consultant? Massage lady coming at 2pm later, more than 12hrs wait...

Me too n my lil one is sick..vomited n cant sleep well..me n CL panda eyes already.
My massage lady told me..self massage v.pain but endure!

Hi mummies, i gave birth at tmc on 20/8 evening.. Baby n I were discharged on 22/8 12pm. Pediatrician said she had no jaundice n told me she may develop it. N on 23/8 night, baby had high fever so I admitted her to kkh immediately. Kkh found her jaundice level to be 363 and she was immediately placed on phototherapy.

I called tmc to ask for baby's jaundice level before discharge, n to my horror, the nurse said there wasn't any jaundice test done as pediatrician said baby didn't look yellow.

So I just wanted to check if hospitals are supposed to do a jaundice test on all newborns before discharge, regardless of whether baby looks yellow or not..

I checked with kkh nurse n she said in kkh, this is their protocol to check every baby's jaundice level before discharge.

It has been extremely distressing for my husband and I, n I can't stop crying despite everyone saying that one shouldn't cry during confinement..

Really hope to receive some advise.. Thanks

cannot give up! muz try to clear the blocked duct asap. what I did was to apply hot compress/ shower, massage, pump (can nurse better), apply hot compress, massage & hand express till breast soft. I'm also taking lecithin due to recurrent blocked ducts.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

I just took 2hrs to clear (not fully) a milk blister & blocked ducts covering half my breast. now still fighting to clear the remains of the blocked ducts. so so tiring. also very worried it'll turn to mastitis. at the brink of giving up breastfeeding/pumping due to recurrent blocked ducts liao.

My baby vomited abruptly yesterday n today.. day time is doing fine but just now vomited again.
My baby is having BM.. was said stomach got wind n applied ru yi medicated oil but she had hard time sleeping just now..from 1030 made noises till now.. she's hungry but she vomited cant give her too much. Poo n urine so far ok..whats wrong?
Me too. My little one facing the same prob. Very stuck and very heart pain to hear him whining in discomfort. I tried blurping him but it still does not work. Sigh.

Hi mummies, i gave birth at tmc on 20/8 evening.. Baby n I were discharged on 22/8 12pm. Pediatrician said she had no jaundice n told me she may develop it. N on 23/8 night, baby had high fever so I admitted her to kkh immediately. Kkh found her jaundice level to be 363 and she was immediately placed on phototherapy.

I called tmc to ask for baby's jaundice level before discharge, n to my horror, the nurse said there wasn't any jaundice test done as pediatrician said baby didn't look yellow.

So I just wanted to check if hospitals are supposed to do a jaundice test on all newborns before discharge, regardless of whether baby looks yellow or not..

I checked with kkh nurse n she said in kkh, this is their protocol to check every baby's jaundice level before discharge.

It has been extremely distressing for my husband and I, n I can't stop crying despite everyone saying that one shouldn't cry during confinement..

My PD at parkway east did a jaundice test for my baby before the original discharge date. It was found tt his jaundice level is high at abt 198, hence my little boy stay in hosp for another 3 days for phototherapy. Blood test was done everyday and He was discharged when the jaundice level dropped to 154. However, when we went back for review 3 days later, baby's jaundice shot up to 250 and my PD ordered the phototherapy bed for us, of which we rent it for 3D2N. His jaundice level then dropped to 200. We will be gg for another blood test to check if his jaundice had dropped later. Hope he get better.

I cried a few times due to his jaundice. I totally understand how you feel. Stay strong. your baby will get well soon.

cannot give up! muz try to clear the blocked duct asap. what I did was to apply hot compress/ shower, massage, pump (can nurse better), apply hot compress, massage & hand express till breast soft. I'm also taking lecithin due to recurrent blocked ducts.

I just took 2hrs to clear (not fully) a milk blister & blocked ducts covering half my breast. now still fighting to clear the remains of the blocked ducts. so so tiring. also very worried it'll turn to mastitis. at the brink of giving up breastfeeding/pumping due to recurrent blocked ducts liao.

Am at the verge of engaging a lactation consultant.

Did 3 pumps last nite to clear the clogged breast. But once the pump is done the breast quickly resumed to the fullness and hardness and pain like nothing was done... Baby is bottle fed cos need to monitor his consumption due to jaundice...

I pumped for 1hr during the last pump this morn and it's back to square one.

Anyone engage LC from Mount A b4 and the charges involved?

Did 3 pumps last nite to clear the clogged breast. But once the pump is done the breast quickly resumed to the fullness and hardness and pain like nothing was done... Baby is bottle fed cos need to monitor his consumption due to jaundice...

how old is ur bb? u need to do it until ur supply stabilize. may take a few days. the LC consultation is ard $60+.

My PD at parkway east did a jaundice test for my baby before the original discharge date. It was found tt his jaundice level is high at abt 198, hence my little boy stay in hosp for another 3 days for phototherapy. Blood test was done everyday and He was discharged when the jaundice level dropped to 154. However, when we went back for review 3 days later, baby's jaundice shot up to 250 and my PD ordered the phototherapy bed for us, of which we rent it for 3D2N. His jaundice level then dropped to 200. We will be gg for another blood test to check if his jaundice had dropped later. Hope he get better.

I cried a few times due to his jaundice. I totally understand how you feel. Stay strong. your baby will get well soon.

I feel that the PD at Thomson was extremely irresponsible for not conducting any jaundice test at all. She simply assumed that baby is jaundice free based on "baby doesn't look yellow."

Thanks for sharing as well.. It's saddening to see our newborn having to go through this.
Take care n I pray that your baby's jaundice levels will stabilize too..

My daughter was like that too. U may wanna give her a little 八宝散 or little gripe water to help your baby fart more. My girl lazy to burp. Feel her stomach. If its hard and see her belly button. My girl belly button will pop out big. After the massue teach me to use cotton bud with a little baby oil, rub into the belly button genrly. . That is to release wind as well. the belly button deflate immediately. She sleep better also.

I feel that the PD at Thomson was extremely irresponsible for not conducting any jaundice test at all. She simply assumed that baby is jaundice free based on "baby doesn't look yellow."

Thanks for sharing as well.. It's saddening to see our newborn having to go through this.

Xpicks, who is ur pd at tmc? My pd at tmc did some sort of test (but not blood test) on baby before letting us bring her home upon discharge.

Candymoshi, try not to pump so much becos the more u pump the more milk the body will produce. Try to put a leaf from a cold cabbage on ur breast to relieve the pain. Then slowly hand express the milk out. But latching baby would be the best way to unclog everything.

Try giving ur baby ridwind before every feed. Kkh prescribed it to my #1 before did to the same merlion and colic issue and I later found that this is easily available in pharmacies outside like unity, guardian and watson.

Attachments

• 1409013658393.jpg
    1409013658393.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 229
Xpicks, who is ur pd at tmc? My pd at tmc did some sort of test (but not blood test) on baby before letting us bring her home upon discharge.

Hi Didy, my pd was Dr Ang AT. She told me that baby was healthy upon discharge.. N told me that she did not have jaundice at that moment, but may develop it later.

The thing was that when I called tmc to clarify baby's jaundice level before discharge, nurse said there were no test done to check on jaundice levels at all.

Hi Didy, my pd was Dr Ang AT. She told me that baby was healthy upon discharge.. N told me that she did not have jaundice at that moment, but may develop it later.

The thing was that when I called tmc to clarify baby's jaundice level before discharge, nurse said there were no test done to check on jaundice levels at all.

I half guessed ur pd is ang AT. She was the PD for my #1 when I gave birth at tmc and I didn't like her at all. This time round I chose another pd and he actually used a tool to tap on baby chest to get a reading of jaundice. If the reading exceed a certain level then will proceed to do blood test. If below the level then can discharge. At least it's not leaving to eye power like Ang AT. My advice would be to change ur pd.

I half guessed ur pd is ang AT. She was the PD for my #1 when I gave birth at tmc and I didn't like her at all. This time round I chose another pd and he actually used a tool to tap on baby chest to get a reading of jaundice. If the reading exceed a certain level then will proceed to do blood test. If below the level then can discharge. At least it's not leaving to eye power like Ang AT. My advice would be to change ur pd.

Gosh! Thanks for sharing.. Coz this is my first child, I didn't know which pd to take. Definitely not going back to see her anymore. Will be following up at KK instead, since we sent her in.. Docs there are much more responsible and they really do thorough checks which gives me a piece of mind.

My baby delivered at tmc too.. The pd will do a blood test to check on the jaundice level before discharge the baby from hospital. Baby healthbooklet will indicated by the pd for all the test done..

Take care and do not cry during your confinement period.

Candymoshi, try not to pump so much becos the more u pump the more milk the body will produce. Try to put a leaf from a cold cabbage on ur breast to relieve the pain. Then slowly hand express the milk out. But latching baby would be the best way to unclog everything.

Thanks for all the advice and support! Thank God that after this morning's pump it did not swell back as fast. Half of the clogged area has soften. Decided to wait till massage lady comes at 2pm to get her to clear...

I was really upset this morning, went to bb's room and just looked at him... Suddenly found the strength to carry on massaging and bear w the pain.

Mummies really have to be strong. It's a tough role but very rewarding... Now I haven taken over the role fully, CL doing all the bottle feeds n diapering and bathing. I just stare at baby and smile... Hope to transit well b4 CL leaves in 2 weeks...

Any advice on transition?

I intend to learn bathing next week and now trying to take over feeding (but gave up when my breasts started to clog)... I wonder if one week is enough for me to get the ropes?

My mind gets overwhelmed when I imagine CL leaving and I wld be all alone w BB.

Hi mummies, my Edd was 7sept but baby came out on 25aug at 38w+1. She's 2.75kg and absolutely adorable ^_^ had period cramps for 24 hours before checking in to hospital because I didn't know that's what contractions felt like! But was only 1cm when checked in at 9pm. 3hours later I'm 4cm dilated and then waterbag suddenly burst. So luckily I checked in early.

Hi mummies, my Edd was 7sept but baby came out on 25aug at 38w+1. She's 2.75kg and absolutely adorable ^_^ had period cramps for 24 hours before checking in to hospital because I didn't know that's what contractions felt like! But was only 1cm when checked in at 9pm. 3hours later I'm 4cm dilated and then waterbag suddenly burst. So luckily I checked in early.

My PD was Dr Ang too.. no like!! My bb blood group is same as daddy and whatever she says make me moee worry than ever. Suppose to see her after discharge for jaundice follow up but I boycott her and go polyclinic.

I am alone with bb for 2 days after CL left. I guess I work better alone without ppl watching and I can just take my time and follow my own steps in term of bathing and changing her.. I am sure we r all gonna be super mom since we cannot run away the fact we r so raw with babies but practice makes perfect! Since we r doing the same routine everyday.

@candymoshi - same here.. And we just moved house when i delivered. I basically went to a new home when discharged, and most of my things still at my in laws' place. very drastic transition for me/us.

We should be extending our CL for a few more weeks so that I can settle in.. But still doesn't solve the long term issue.

Any recommendation for nannies?

My PD was Dr Ang too.. no like!! My bb blood group is same as daddy and whatever she says make me moee worry than ever. Suppose to see her after discharge for jaundice follow up but I boycott her and go polyclinic.

Can you share how to go polyclinic for jaundice check?

Yday went to PD at Mount A for jaundice check and PD is comfortable to say BB is stabilizing and did not give me a follow up appt for blood test. I have been bringing bb for blood test every 2 days...

Now plan to bring him on thu but no more follow up from PD. Better figure my way b4 thu else I would be very lost... Is the queue / process very long? Polyclinic is not near my place so hope I wouldn't b overexhausted when I'm done...

Thanks for all the advice and support! Thank God that after this morning's pump it did not swell back as fast. Half of the clogged area has soften. Decided to wait till massage lady comes at 2pm to get her to clear...

I was really upset this morning, went to bb's room and just looked at him... Suddenly found the strength to carry on massaging and bear w the pain.

Mummies really have to be strong. It's a tough role but very rewarding... Now I haven taken over the role fully, CL doing all the bottle feeds n diapering and bathing. I just stare at baby and smile... Hope to transit well b4 CL leaves in 2 weeks...

Any advice on transition?

I intend to learn bathing next week and now trying to take over feeding (but gave up when my breasts started to clog)... I wonder if one week is enough for me to get the ropes?

My mind gets overwhelmed when I imagine CL leaving and I wld be all alone w BB.

ur mum or MIL able to come help for awhile? it'll be tough to look after bb & pump at the same time esp if u frequently get clogged ducts. supply shld stabilizes ard 8-12 weeks & things shld get better.

Just back from the PD. Baby's jaundice seems to stabilise at abt 200. PD say shld be ok and dont need additional blood tests, just need to monitor and go back for review 2 weeks later. Thanl goodness. It had been tough esp since my milk is quite low

I think before discharge should check..but if u r worried polyclinic does check as well...

How to know or how does blocked ducts looks like? I'm having supposed milk blister coz it looks whitish over the skin nipple n is really painful.. i try massaging it doesn't help :( my bb latch it cleared some of it but is still there....

Can you share how to go polyclinic for jaundice check?

Yday went to PD at Mount A for jaundice check and PD is comfortable to say BB is stabilizing and did not give me a follow up appt for blood test. I have been bringing bb for blood test every 2 days...

Now plan to bring him on thu but no more follow up from PD. Better figure my way b4 thu else I would be very lost... Is the queue / process very long? Polyclinic is not near my place so hope I wouldn't b overexhausted when I'm done...
When my bb discharged from KKH, they gave me a letter to follow for the jaundice level at Polyclinic.
They gave priority queue no for babies born less than 1 month.
1st visit, went to a nurse room where they take bb weight & length.
The nurse also asked abt the vaccination whether I would like to follow up the vaccine at Polyclinic.
If yes, she advise when is the next vaccination and book the appt for you.
After that, we proceed to the lab where they draw blood from bb's foot.
Then, wait for the report and see doc where doc will advise about the jaundice level And you can also ask doc abt any other issues regarding the baby.
Whole process took abt 2 hours. I went at 8am, out by 10am.
Subsequent visit is faster becoz just go blood test then see doc, done within 1 hour.
Cost is less than $15 per visit if no medication for other issues.
I have been bringing my boy to Polyclinic for follow up for about 5 times already.
Luckily today finally the level drop to almost safe level. To be on the safe side, doc instruct 1 more visit next week to ensure he clears the safety mark.
The polyclinic that I went to is Sengkang Polyclinic, so of u go other polyclinic, waiting time may vary.

ur mum or MIL able to come help for awhile? it'll be tough to look after bb & pump at the same time esp if u frequently get clogged ducts. supply shld stabilizes ard 8-12 weeks & things shld get better.

My MIL is working. I think my mom can help if I ask, but duno if we will clash in the way we take care of bb.

She takes care of my sister's 4 kids and my bro's kid... I saw how she is verbally abusive to the kids and is inconsistent in her parenting style... She also likes to antagonize my sister and manipulates the kids to 'like her more' than my sister.

If I can, I will avoid her involvement at all cost...

The doc at Polyclinic said below 100 will be safe level.
Above 300 needs to go hospital.
My boy is at 18D, jaundice level checked today is 116.
He is drinking breast milk exclusively so doc said breast fed baby normally takeslonger to clear the jaundice.
But as long as the level is below 300, just need to monitor and the benefits of breast milk outweighs the speed of clearing jaundice.

How to know or how does blocked ducts looks like? I'm having supposed milk blister coz it looks whitish over the skin nipple n is really painful.. i try massaging it doesn't help :( my bb latch it cleared some of it but is still there....

Milk blister needs to be "burst" then milk will flow out. Massaging wont help at all. I always carry a fine needle, sterilized it w the Medela quick clean wipe bef I prick the blister! Juz try to "hook" the thin layer of skin on the blister and don't poke your nipple ya. Coz if u prick the nipple, there will be blood... Then u might pump blood out instead. Trial and error! Sounds scary but yup it's my DIY method lah for many years. LC also say use needles but they don't dare to do it so they use the pump to exert pressure in the hope of bursting the blister. But it takes too long and there is no guarantee.... And once the blister is there, u'll get blocked ducts within a few hrs!

Back